IGNORED

Ken Ham has a sad

47of74

For what it’s worth, Noah took more than  2 of each clean animal.  Since only clean animals could be eaten or sacrificed, I’ve always assumed that’s why there were more required.  (Note:  There is some debate whether the text means 7 total or 7 pairs, but the point is it’s more than 2)

Genesis 7:2  

You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female.

However, it is under some debate whether Noah and family would have eaten any animals while on the ark, since the first mention of animals being OK to eat was after Noah left the ark.  I was taught that they did not, but there are others who read the passage differently.

Genesis 9.1-5 

Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. “But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal.” (NIV)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

One of the ladies I admire most went to the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum and spoke so highly of both.  She was not a young earth believer.
There is a church in town that is made up of a large group of young earthers and think very highly of Ken Ham (even using his church curriculum).  Some moved away from him when he started his rant that you can't be a Christian and not believe in Young Earth.  He has since had those beliefs removed from his website (I think right before the Ark Encounter was opened to the public), but I know way too many young earth believers who still believe that Christians must believe in the young earth. (none of them are fundies)

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if snarkers (atheist and not) managed to prolong Ark Encounter's run with free publicity and visits. 

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how many YECs they could possibly get in.

I pass by it on my semi-annual drive to visit family, and I admit i've been tempted to stop and do whatever the museum version of hate-watching is.  Never did though, couldn't bring myself to give them money.  Then I discovered that you can find video of people doing that on Youtube, which allowed me to hate-watch by proxy, without contributing to Ken's pockets. ?

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

FWIW

I live within a short drive of the creation museum. (My adult daughter actually drove past it every day on her way to work for 3+ years).

Ark Encounter is a longer drive, to the middle of nowhere in KY (as already mentioned).

(I self-identify as a Christian, for however that fits into this mess. My view of God's hand in creation does not particularly coincide with Ken Ham's). I personally have not been to either of these attractions, and have other preferences for using my time and money. I do know a fair number of people who have been to the creation museum and to the ark encounter multiple times, many of them as church groups - but now it's mostly ark encounter. Even those groups are tired of creation museum.

One more piece of information: I live within 15 minutes' drive of King's Island. The price of admission to the ark encounter is ball-park with the price of admission to King's Island. A person can go to King's Island multiple times and have a lot of fun every time, if rides, food, enjoying the environment are your thing. To me - creation museum or ark encounter -- would be seen it once, seen it all -- but some may see it differently. Ark encounter was built when creation museum couldn't support Ken Ham's financial needs any more. I do think the whole thing will eventually collapse financially.

Anyway... sorry for being so long.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

@apple1, I know what I'd spend my time and money on if I lived in your area.  I'd go to KIng's Island.  I'd also see if my aunt who lives in Cincy wanted to go with me.  We'd have a blast!

• Upvote 3

I would think the overhead and operating costs will eventually sink the ship.  

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, apple1 said:

FWIW

I live within a short drive of the creation museum. (My adult daughter actually drove past it every day on her way to work for 3+ years).

Ark Encounter is a longer drive, to the middle of nowhere in KY (as already mentioned).

(I self-identify as a Christian, for however that fits into this mess. My view of God's hand in creation does not particularly coincide with Ken Ham's). I personally have not been to either of these attractions, and have other preferences for using my time and money. I do know a fair number of people who have been to the creation museum and to the ark encounter multiple times, many of them as church groups - but now it's mostly ark encounter. Even those groups are tired of creation museum.

One more piece of information: I live within 15 minutes' drive of King's Island. The price of admission to the ark encounter is ball-park with the price of admission to King's Island. A person can go to King's Island multiple times and have a lot of fun every time, if rides, food, enjoying the environment are your thing. To me - creation museum or ark encounter -- would be seen it once, seen it all -- but some may see it differently. Ark encounter was built when creation museum couldn't support Ken Ham's financial needs any more. I do think the whole thing will eventually collapse financially.

Anyway... sorry for being so long.

Of course if you visit the creation museum you might get it in your head to hire a hit man to murder your son in law, like one James MacDonald tried to do after his visit there.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

On June 16, 2019 at 5:44 AM, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

Every year she takes her youth group there from Kansas on a sort of field trip. I have to imagine that sort of thing is fairly common.

Also don't forget the bus tours full of elderly people. My parents saw the Ark Encounter on one of the bus trips they go on. Between youth groups, buses full of the elderly and fundie megafamilies, I can see it getting some business, unfortunately.

They didn't tell me much about it as I'd mocked it mercilessly before they even left to go there. Same with the Museum of the Bible - call it "the Hobby Lobby Museum of Stolen Antiquities" once or twice, and they'll skip that part when telling you about their trip.

(I don't THINK my parents are young earth people, though I've never discussed it with them. I am certain our history-loving, father of a science major pastor isn't, however. Why does Jesus get to speak in parables but Genesis has to be 100% literal?)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Also don't forget the bus tours full of elderly people. My parents saw the Ark Encounter on one of the bus trips they go on. Between youth groups, buses full of the elderly and fundie megafamilies, I can see it getting some business, unfortunately.

They didn't tell me much about it as I'd mocked it mercilessly before they even left to go there. Same with the Museum of the Bible - call it "the Hobby Lobby Museum of Stolen Antiquities" once or twice, and they'll skip that part when telling you about their trip.

(I don't THINK my parents are young earth people, though I've never discussed it with them. I am certain our history-loving, father of a science major pastor isn't, however. Why does Jesus get to speak in parables but Genesis has to be 100% literal?)

Even back in my younger much more conservative days I don't think I would have visited either the creation museum or the fundie ark.  Even back then I didn't guzzle the fundie koolaid enough to want to visit such places.

I don't think my parental units have much interest in going to places like that.  They'd probably mock it more than I would if they went there.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Even back in my younger much more conservative days I don't think I would have visited either the creation museum or the fundie ark.  Even back then I didn't guzzle the fundie koolaid enough to want to visit such places.

I don't think my parental units have much interest in going to places like that.  They'd probably mock it more than I would if they went there.

Yeah I know... my parents aren't fundie - but on those bus tours, you go where they go. Which is largely wherever the bus company gets a kickback. And on a bus of 45 people, often nobody wants to be the one to stir things up by suggesting something different.

Also, the Ark Encounter is probably much more appealing to most non-fundie Christians than the creation museum would be. I mean, the Ark story is in the bible, it's a common baby nursery theme, kids sing songs about it, etc. I'm pretty sure most of those busloads of people see it on a list of places to go and are like "Oh, it's a recreation of the Ark? That's pretty interesting!" and it's not until they get inside and see dinosaurs that they go "hey, wait a minute..." 

I don't think the Ark Encounter screams "Creationist Crackpot" nearly as loudly as the Creation Museum does. Especially if it's just one item on a list of stops on a bus tour that includes, say, a brewery, a car manufacturing plant, a chocolate factory outlet, a horse farm, a vineyard, various historical sites, a comedy show, etc. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...