IGNORED

Ken Ham has a sad

47of74

And like so many other reich wing religious types, blames atheists and "secular" media for his self inflicted problems

Sad monkey: A bitter Ken Ham blames atheists and the secular media for the perceived financial failure of his Ark Park.

In a recent blog post to his Answers in Genesis website, leading creationist Ken Ham laments the supposed power of atheists and the “secularist media,” complaining that they are damaging the reputation of his Ark Encounter, and the economy of the surrounding local businesses

In other words, Ken Ham blames atheists for his trouble. Ham is refusing to take responsibility for his own failure, and refusing to take responsibility for his broken promises to the citizens and business community of Grant County, Kentucky.

Ham is desperate to counter the narrative that his Ark Encounter and Creation Museum are not delivering on the promises he made. He is particularly upset with a recent article from The Lexington Herald Leader that explores Ham’s failure to deliver on financial promises made to community members and local businesses.

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 9
  • Haha 13

You didn't have to be an atheists to have grasped that the Ark was going to be a huge flop. 

The ark appeals to two groups:

~fundies who will probably have a bunch of kids and will have to save up to go once. 

~people who go to mock the insanity. 

No way it could have succeeded. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 21
  • Love 3

26 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Let me cry him a fucking river...

Cry me a flood, Ken!  Ya got an ark for that right? ??

What a wuss. Whatever dude, he speaks ill about secular stuff all the time. Not worried about repercussions there are ya, old boy. What a jackass!! 

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Howl said:

Not going to be easy to sell it if it goes bankrupt. 

Yeah it's not going to be easy to convert it into anything else if it goes belly up.  I don't think they could get Bass Pro Shops to open a big ass store there like Memphis was able to talk them into doing with the Memphis Pyramid (which fortunately worked out well for them).

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Howl said:

Would make a nice rave spot or grow room tho......

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21

48 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Would make a nice rave spot or grow room tho......

Or a big ass brewery.  Uncle 47's Ark of Beer and Other Liberal Entertainment.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 15
  • Love 10

They already have the rainbow! :banana-rainbow:

A giant gay nightclub in one half and uber trendy clothing and accessories in another part, liquor store and pot retailer with a Planned Parenthood thrown in.  Please Rufus make it happen!

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if snarkers (atheist and not) managed to prolong Ark Encounter's run with free publicity and visits. 

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how many YECs they could possibly get in.

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

Ken had some pretty severe tunnel vision with this boondoggle. He parked it way out in East Overshoe, and overestimated his fan base. I can’t see even the most devout YEC visiting it more than once.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

As a traveling exhibit to fundy and fundy-adjacent churches, probably the Ark Encounter could have done okay financially. As a museum in the middle of nowhere? Please. At the very least he should have located it in Colorado Springs to draw in a few Dobson fanboys. 

Edited by elsiedindin
clarification
  • Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Howl said:

Might also be a tad difficult to move.  I'm thinking he could probably unload the Old Testament dinosaurs for a few $s, though.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Probably atheists who went there to point and laugh gave him a non-negligible amount of income and it would have gone bankrupt sooner without them.

The original Ark moved so Ken Ham's mistake was building this to stand in one location. Maybe there would be more visitors if it was a traveling circus type of thing, a couple of years in one town and a couple of years in the next state. Most people probably only visit it once so once everybody in the neighborhood who is interested has done so it's going to be harder to reach new customers.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

Totally anecdotal, but I do know someone who has visited both the ark and creation museum several times. She’s a very rabid YEC, and is in charge of her church’s youth ministry program. Every year she takes her youth group there from Kansas on a sort of field trip. I have to imagine that sort of thing is fairly common.

• Upvote 9

I'm going to quietly point out that the linked article is 2 years old, and The Ark Encounter isn't bankrupt yet. (Or we'd know about it, right?) However, if KH ever wants to unload his dinosaurs, I know a place that might be interested in acquiring them. There's a truck stop/rest area on the highway about halfway between Montreal and Quebec city that has a thing for dinosaurs. And monster trucks. Which totally go together.

http://www.lemadrid.ca/en/photo.php

http://www.lemadrid.ca/en/history.php

Edited by Ash
  • Upvote 14

2 hours ago, Ash said:

I'm going to quietly point out that the linked article is 2 years old, and The Ark Encounter isn't bankrupt yet.

Yes.  I just took a quick look at TripAdvisor.  I don't think it is going under just yet.  Lots of rave reviews.

Moreover, most recent negative (3 star and under reviews) complain loudly about the crowds and lines.  Also how expensive it is and the hidden parking fee.   

There aren't many recent reviews critical of the theology at all, although I enjoyed the one saying the whole thing was rather facile and aimed at converting unbelievers.  So boring for true Christians who know all that stuff already. :)

It doesn't sound kid-friendly or interactive at all.  Lots of reading, lots of walking, but the buffet lunch is good, if you are not a vegetarian.  Food.  That's always very important to Fundies.

Only the very few 1 star (terrible) reviews seem to come from non-Creationist heathens. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

Oops. Should’ve looked more closely at the date. Thought it was much more recent.

They said I’m looking forward to the day when it goes belly up. Then someone could swoop in and turn it into a great big brewery/rave/gay bar/and grow east of the Mississippi. Already has a built in rainbow. That someone would do a lot more for the local economy than Ol Kenny has.

• Upvote 10

The long lines and crowded areas are due to poor layout. It was not designed by someone who has experience creating museums. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

The long lines and crowded areas are due to poor layout. It was not designed by someone who has experience creating museums. 

This was discussed recently and in detail on another thread.  It doesn't alter the fact that there are still enough people visiting there to cause crowding and long lines.

Unfortunately.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

They already have the rainbow! :banana-rainbow:
A giant gay nightclub in one half and uber trendy clothing and accessories in another part, liquor store and pot retailer with a Planned Parenthood thrown in.  Please Rufus make it happen!

Oooh and all the animatronic animals dressed in glow sticks and glitter ! And an arcade
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Lots of reading, lots of walking, but the buffet lunch is good, if you are not a vegetarian.

Why, that doesn't sound very authentic.  If Noah and family only brought two of every animal, and had no refrigeration, wouldn't they have been vegetarian (at least while on the Ark)?

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ash said:

I'm going to quietly point out that the linked article is 2 years old, and The Ark Encounter isn't bankrupt yet. (Or we'd know about it, right?) However, if KH ever wants to unload his dinosaurs, I know a place that might be interested in acquiring them. There's a truck stop/rest area on the highway about halfway between Montreal and Quebec city that has a thing for dinosaurs. And monster trucks. Which totally go together.

http://www.lemadrid.ca/en/photo.php

http://www.lemadrid.ca/en/history.php

Road trip...I want to go to Village Quebecois d'Antan this summer. Now I have somewhere fun to stop at...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Why, that doesn't sound very authentic.  If Noah and family only brought two of every animal, and had no refrigeration, wouldn't they have been vegetarian (at least while on the Ark)?

I think it's in the book of Leviticus, where God says people can eat meat.  Up until that time, including Noah's time, animals were not to be eaten.  So I don't think they are very authentic.  However, they might not admit that!  Only those bad nay-sayers, liberals, whatever they don't like, would be saying that to them :).

• Upvote 4