• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 100: Praefulgeo Ergo Sum!

Wine time!
Spanger

What is that double rainbow video I just watched?  Lol.  Almost sounded like Timothy’s voice talking on the video, at least in the middle.

I mean, if we’re posting traumatizing ‘rainbow’ themed videos today, I’d like to submit this one.  Bonus points for the Jill-centric makeup and singing voice.  (Trigger warning, it is a woman singing a song about losing her child, not graphic or anything, but she’s very sad and it might be a difficult subject matter for some folks.)

SilverBeach
3 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

I'd use stronger language to describe it but I can't remember how colorful we can be on this forum.

Pretty fucking colorful!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

pook
2 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

I'm truly sorry this was your experience.

IMO nursing school overall does a crappy job of preparing students for what it's like in the "real world." There needs to be more focus on practical knowledge.

For example, I wish my pathophysiology class was longer than two semesters so I had a better chance at fully understanding and retaining in-depth information long term. It helps immensely to have more than a surface understanding of patient conditions + knowing BS nursing interventions. Like, you need to know what to anticipate within your scope of practice, absolutely, but we barely scratch the surface of what to expect clinically in patients (and, again, cultivating retention of that information). There's so much decision and mental fatigue that occurs as a new nurse. Stepping into the role with solid pathophys knowledge absolutely alleviates some of that.

Also, we could all use education on dealing with difficult, petty coworkers and how to not be that coworker. How to recognize and communicate in a "nurses eating their young" situation. What to do when you encounter ridiculous hospital politics or you find yourself working someplace that could potentially jeopardize your license.

Hell, there could be a class lasting the entire duration of an RN program entitled "Being an effective and safe nurse in today's broken healthcare system where you're required to chart too much, jump through hoops for stupid HCAHPS criteria, hold your pee for so long you probably give yourself a UTI, have administrators who are so out of touch with what it's like to be a frontline worker that you wonder how the F they got into the business, and more. Also, how to not hate everything in the process and find meaning in your work. Because sometimes it's actually possible."

It sounds like you started out on a unit with poor management and a terrible dynamic between staff members. It is the absolute worst. I left a job that had me convinced I was the worst nurse that ever existed. The hospital was a disaster and my manager was a bonafide bully. 

In contrast, the unit I work on currently has been incredibly supportive and validating. We still deal with a ton of crap and people are unhappy for various reasons, but as a unit we're cohesive and protect each other fiercely, regardless, even if we're getting pushback from other departments and forms of management. It's not perfect but it makes a huge difference. 

With that being said, there's a unit within our service line that sounds similar to where you worked, and I you have my sincerest condolences that that's what you experienced. They have pushed away or legit fired many really excellent nurses because of politics within the unit. It breaks my heart. The hospital missed out on retaining great employees because they were hired in a unit that probably traumatized them for the rest of their career. I'd use stronger language to describe it but I can't remember how colorful we can be on this forum.

As long as you have common sense and are willing to really work and be receptive to appropriate constructive criticism, no one should be told they can't "hack it." It's the failure of our current nursing programs to educate, a hospital to teach, and our healthcare system to foster an appropriate environment and realistic expectations. 

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Feel free to message me anytime. 

All of this SEVERELY!  Nursing school drop out here who eventually went back and finished 5 years later.  I was way too immature the first time around to grasp and understand the importance of some of the most basic concepts like bed baths, which lay the foundation for a complete and thorough head to toe assessment so much more beyond just assisting someone with basic hygiene.  As for nurses who eat their young, hell yes!  Being thrust back into a med-surg setting, as a student, after almost a 5 year hiatus and into an extremely toxic medically complex environment was nothing short of traumatizing.  I remember driving myself to my placement everyday bawling my eyes out and on top of it all I had to pay for parking in order to have the privilege of even being there.  My very first day of placement in said unit my preceptor handed me a stack of charts, put her feet up at the nursing desk, and said "off you go." But in the end she came around and pretty much saved my ass by agreeing to continue to precept me over the Christmas break, while all of my peers were already done, so I could pass my clinical.  I am so glad I did it!  Eventually I developed what I like to call my nursing brain, where I am able to link a thousand different observations/cues and instantly reach a conclusion without even really understanding how or why.  It all just comes so naturally now and honestly it's kind of like a super power.  I have been an RN now for almost 20 years and it's flown by.  There is so much that needs to improve for the profession like @LiterallyBananas said but I wouldn't trade in being a nurse for the world.  It truly is a privilege.  I wish one of my son's would show an interest.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 13

Dizzy
Plexus31Wife
3 hours ago, waltraute said:

Has anyone heard her tell this story before? Because it sounds like a brand-new made up story for the occasion - kind of like how her miscarriages mysteriously got named when she was making a wall memorial.

I'd never heard it before myself, but she seems to have an endless supply of loopy stories. They all start to blend into each other after a while. So who knows? Maybe it's one of her most cherished stories. 

Nevertheless, until I see photographic evidence to the contrary, I think it's a very safe assumption that it was a sunny day that began raining for a few minutes, and young Jill took that opportunity to pray for a sign that David was The One. I'm just saying...often people go looking for things they expect to find. 

MayMay1123
5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

And Shrewsbury, which is good for antiquing, is one exit off Glen Rock. Worth a visit~~

we will be driving back to phila from baltimore in september after a cruise...is shrewsbury an easy off from 95? we love antiquing!

Don'tlikekoolaid

Here you go, I think it’s a sign from God or a leprechaun convention!  My rainbow is better than yours Jill.

224485C6-06FD-4808-BDC0-0905E288519D.jpeg.72b9d3fcfdc7b3b4dc1c14b0051f4d36.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 12
  • Love 6

Tired
Coconut Flan

Carry on here: