• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 100: Praefulgeo Ergo Sum!

DangerNoodle
On 6/17/2019 at 2:51 PM, EmmieJ said:

but when I went to college in the 1980's, it was wayyyyy more affordable than it is today

I went to a ***for-profit*** college for Medical Assisting in 2005. It was $2,000 total. At the time certified medical assistants would make about $10 an hour right out of school. (The average pay has usually always hovered just under double minimum wage)

Today the tuition only for the community college would be more than $2,000 a year and then you probably have to add another $1k if you include books and supplies. The community college wouldn't be too bad because it's only a three semester program, except for the fact they require prereqs that take a year to complete. So you're adding even more to cost that way. 

There is a for-profit college called ECPI that's charging $18,000 for a medical assisting degree. Certified Medical Assistants can make about $14 an hour right out of school now. That's a terrible deal. 

Unimpressed
clarinetpower

Ever notice Jill misspelled downloads? 

Dowloads. 

Kind of sounds like like a nasty name for a Medieval English peasant.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 6
  • Haha 4

DarkAnts
On 6/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, onekidanddone said:

Because of my own disabilities I qualified for Voc Rehab. I went through vocational testing and to my shock I tested well for programming. 

I attended a year long training program at the end of which I landed an internship which lead to a job. I’m still in IT 33 years later. 

For a long time I was the same GS level as my brother who has an Ivy League education (he has since been made a project manager so I think is rank is higher now).  I know I make more than friends with PhD’s.  I’m not bragging I’m just saying life doesn’t always turn out as you expect.

I never went back to finish my AA. Maybe I will when I retire but probably not. Obviously I am not the same person I was at 19 when I had the breakdown but the scars can only heal just so far.  

Thing now is how do I explain all this to my 15 1/2 year old? Her mom was a community college dropout.

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation is amazing.  They have provided me with tools including on the job coaching and technology. I have a masters degree, but it was hard to transition from college to industry. 

DarkAnts
13 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation is amazing.  They have provided me with tools including on the job coaching and technology. I have a masters degree, but it was hard to transition from college to industry. 

FYI, they pay for hearing aids. My insurance did not cover them because of my age. Vocational Rehabilitation covered them.

NoKidsAndCounting

Jill posted some pictures of her family at a WV cultural museum and Father's Day at church.  It looks like they had a dedication ceremony for Janessa.  Is that like a christening ceremony?  On the plus side, it didn't look like Janessa's dress/bow/layers of clothing were too crazy.  It's a little hard to tell in the pictures.

Waffle Time
catlady

She posted a photo that is just begging to be turned into an avatar:  the one of herself behind the metal gate with an OTT expression on her face. I’d love to think one of the kids took it and secretly dreamed of leaving her there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

anachronistic

It took me 2 seconds to find out that the quote Jill posted, with Queen Elizabeth praising Trump, is a lie. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/queen-elizabeth-praised-trump/

But if she’s anything like my right-wing relatives - and she is, unfortunately- she will just say that snopes is a partisan site out to get them. 

It’s really hilarious that anyone would think that the Queen would speak like that. Not that I’ve ever met her or anything but I think her speech would be more proper than ‘you know’ and ‘really just an amazing person.’  The language itself strikes me as being very American.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 17

Glasgowghirl
26 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

It took me 2 seconds to find out that the quote Jill posted, with Queen Elizabeth praising Trump, is a lie. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/queen-elizabeth-praised-trump/

But if she’s anything like my right-wing relatives - and she is, unfortunately- she will just say that snopes is a partisan site out to get them. 

It’s really hilarious that anyone would think that the Queen would speak like that. Not that I’ve ever met her or anything but I think her speech would be more proper than ‘you know’ and ‘really just an amazing person.’  The language itself strikes me as being very American.

The Queen and the senior Royal family members will not get directly involved in politics and they would never praise or criticise a politician. Prince Andrew was heading a business intitive last week and was asked about what impact Brexit would have on UK businesses and he was careful not to say anything that would show his personal opinion on Brexit. He knew him saying anything that would make it seem like he was for or against Brexit would lead to him receiving a backlash.

lizzybee
1 hour ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Jill posted some pictures of her family at a WV cultural museum and Father's Day at church.  It looks like they had a dedication ceremony for Janessa.  Is that like a christening ceremony?  On the plus side, it didn't look like Janessa's dress/bow/layers of clothing were too crazy.  It's a little hard to tell in the pictures.

Yes, or the alternative for those who don't believe in baptizing babies/unbelievers. Essentially the parents are dedicating themselves to raising this child in a Christian home and in church. 

quiversR4hunting

So summer might be arriving in my area this weekend (it has been a long, cool, rainy, spring) so of course I have an email from Coolibar for some SPF clothing (i am allergic to the sun). So today I decided to look at their swimwear because the email showed a sale on swimsuits. So this swim shirt goes to mid-thigh (per description) and then they have swim shorts (shows the knees, gasp!) and swim tights. The prices actually aren't bad. 

I really, really wish Jilly would explain why they don't invest in these swimsuits. We all know they would be handed down. We have had this discussion before and I still don't understand Jilly's logic. And the options for the adult sizes are more expensive but again, high quality swimsuits last a long time if you aren't in a chlorine pool every day (which the Rods aren't). 

spoiler since it is a big picture. 

Spoiler

swimwear.thumb.jpg.673fe49ef28b6d714fed886b9041e3b3.jpg

grandmadugger

If Jill bought her children swim suits that would mean less stuff for Jill. And we all know that Jill isn’t going without anything. 

• Upvote 24
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 8

quiversR4hunting
3 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

If Jill bought her children swim suits that would mean less stuff for Jill. And we all know that Jill isn’t going without anything. 

Mea culpa, Mea culpa! Oh please forgive me! You are so right, we can't take funds away from the queen! ;)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

pook
1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

The Queen and the senior Royal family members will not get directly involved in politics and they would never praise or criticise a politician. Prince Andrew was heading a business intitive last week and was asked about what impact Brexit would have on UK businesses and he was careful not to say anything that would show his personal opinion on Brexit. He knew him saying anything that would make it seem like he was for or against Brexit would lead to him receiving a backlash.

Faced with JRod, the Queen might utter something like "My Heavens" while the selfie was being taken.  Jill would completely misinterpret this and take it as a compliment because heaven.

Glasgowghirl
Just now, pook said:

Faced with JRod, the Queen might utter something like "My Heavens" while the selfie was being taken.  Jill would completely misinterpret this and take it as a compliment because heaven.

That sounds accurate for Jill.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

onekidanddone
15 minutes ago, pook said:

The Queen would be decidedly not amused 😒 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

Waffle Time
catlady

Imagining the Queen saying “Bitch, please” made me snort audibly. At work. :) 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 29
  • Love 2

Sad
Loveday
24 minutes ago, catlady said:

Imagining the Queen saying “Bitch, please” made me snort audibly. At work. :) 

Me, too. Only I'm at home, and my feline headship gave me a look. Oddly enough, it was her 'Bitch, please' look. Coincidence? I think not! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17
  • Love 4

EmainMacha

The thought of the Queen saying 'In another life he could be my son' is beyond laughable. Surely no-one could believe she'd say that? I mean, come on. She's the Queen!

DangerNoodle

Who made this? You couldn't take it out of the pan? And what's with the six candles for a 44th anniversary? 

20190619_163800_rmedited.jpg

wallysmommy

20 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

Who made this? You couldn't take it out of the pan? And what's with the six candles for a 44th anniversary? 

It certainly isn't a good advertisement for her baking ability if Nurie made it.  

FullOfGravy
16 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

20190619_163800_rmedited.jpg

I see eight candles.  I know in my family, adult birthday cakes get candles in base-ten.  My most recent had seven candles - three tens and four ones.  Keeps us from burning the house down with dozens of candles on a single cake.  They could be doing something similar for 44.  It would require at least basic mathematical thinking, of course.

Without knowing what the substance in the pan is meant to be, I got nothin' on that.

Ash

I"m more squicked by Jill referring to their visit as "sweet fellowship." *shudder*

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 18.32.21.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

DangerNoodle
2 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

Without knowing what the substance in the pan is meant to be, I got nothin' on that.

I'm blind, as evidenced by the fact that I only saw 6 candles. My first thought was it was brownies in a wrong sized pan.

Meh
Evangeline

@Georgiana "Fundie Uncle Rico" might just do me in 😂😂😂