• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 100: Praefulgeo Ergo Sum!

PianoGal

When I was little, I wanted to be a missionary nurse. Because nursing seemed romantic, and you have to tack "missionary" on to make everyone happy. Lol. 

My kids change their minds quite often,  and think you just have to add "-ologist" to the end of the name of what you want to study. Last week,we had a "hippo-ologist" and a "tasmani-ologist." Volcanologist and "shark-ologist" are also favorites. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • Love 14

Happy
PennySycamore

@FullOfGravy, my daughter fell in love with volcanoes when she was about 5.  I think she'd seen a National Geographic or Nova program about volcanoes.  She'd also have me set up the ironing board low before the fire place and  do weather reports and news broadcasts.    She majored in broadcast meteorology in college.  There were very few job openings in that field the year she graduated.  She also did not like the fact that women on TV have so much pressure to always look good.  She's working in the hospitality industry now as the assistant GM of a hotel.  

@MayMay1123,  just the other day, my granddaughter told her mom (my daughter) that they need to put a dress on their cat.  My daughter laughed at that because she and her sisters always used to put this one particular doll's dress on Sylvester.  He looked just like Tabitha Twitchett.  He'd fall asleep while he was wearing that dress.

NonSOTDRT Teacher

When I was a kids, probably 2nd grade until I started middle school, I told everybody I was going to be a paleontologist. I studied fossils, read books, and learned all I could about it, at least as much as any 7-year old could. 

As right-winged as my parents are, I’m glad they supported this and science/education as a whole. Heck, I had never even heard of “young-earth creationism” until I saw the episode of then 17 kids and counting, where they visited the creation museum (I was a freshmen in college at this point). My young mind thought about this at some point, though, and I remember asking my mother how can dinosaurs have lived millions of years ago if God created the world in a week. She answered that it wasn’t a “literal” week, but an indefinite period of time (I know she used child-friendly words, I just can’t remember what they were XD).

Naturally, I grew up to teach 2nd grade. 

Sad
feministxtian

I always was into engineering/design. Some strange switch got flipped in my head on July 20, 1969. Single track mind from then (I was 5) until now. 

Flossie
47 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

So Jill would be a Griftologist? 

Yes, except Jill is very good at it, so she's a griftologist extraordinaire.

Make that Jill Rodrigues, missionary Christian griftologist extraordinaire; daughter of Tim and Pat Noyes, wife to David, mother of 13 (and 5 angels in Heaven); Assistant to the CEO of Rodrigues Family Ministries and the manager, voice coach and lead singer of Rodrigues Family Singers; inspirational speaker to women, weekly radio host, blogger, Plexus Ambassador, Mouthpiece of God, Jesus favorite and BETTER THAN YOU!

• Upvote 19
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 3

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
17 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Make that Jill Rodrigues, missionary Christian griftologist extraordinaire; daughter of Tim and Pat Noyes, wife to David, mother of 13 (and 5 angels in Heaven); Assistant to the CEO of Rodrigues Family Ministries and the manager, voice coach and lead singer of Rodrigues Family Singers; inspirational speaker to women, weekly radio host, blogger, Plexus Ambassador, Mouthpiece of God, Jesus favorite and BETTER THAN YOU! 

You know she's gonna steal some of that and use it!

Oh, and add Assistant to the CEO of All Things Truth Print Shop and writer/composer of the extraordinary song "These Hands."  🤮

Petronella
3 hours ago, PianoGal said:

When I was little, I wanted to be a missionary nurse. Because nursing seemed romantic, and you have to tack "missionary" on to make everyone happy. Lol. 

Ain’t that the truth! I remember church people interpreting my interest in archaeology as an interest in becoming a missionary to the Middle East. Nope!

Meh
Dandruff
1 hour ago, Flossie said:

Also add: Sister to Amy Foster - Quadriplegic, Author of multiple books (in progress), and Principal/Schoolteacher.

OhNoNike
2 hours ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

When I was a kids, probably 2nd grade until I started middle school, I told everybody I was going to be a paleontologist. I studied fossils, read books, and learned all I could about it, at least as much as any 7-year old could. 

As right-winged as my parents are, I’m glad they supported this and science/education as a whole. Heck, I had never even heard of “young-earth creationism” until I saw the episode of then 17 kids and counting, where they visited the creation museum (I was a freshmen in college at this point). My young mind thought about this at some point, though, and I remember asking my mother how can dinosaurs have lived millions of years ago if God created the world in a week. She answered that it wasn’t a “literal” week, but an indefinite period of time (I know she used child-friendly words, I just can’t remember what they were XD).

Naturally, I grew up to teach 2nd grade. 

I love that. My daughter just finished 2nd grade and 1st and 2nd have been really interesting.  She really took off reading in 1st, but I just love watching how she thinks.  She is such a deep thinker. (She also wants to be a paleontologist.  When asked in school, she said other kids mostly wanted to be teachers and I was surprised she was the only “paleontologist”, because I thought tons of kids had that dream.  Apparently not right now. (Actually she says paleontologist/paleoartist... who knows where her path will lead her but I would not be surprised if she is in science somehow)

Tired
Curious
On 6/16/2019 at 3:58 AM, Closed Womb said:

Hmm, what did I want to be at 4?  I’m not sure I remember, since my parents wouldn’t have reinforced my pre-school musings as some sort of established life goal.  

I wanted to be a veterinarian from the time I was about 5 until the 8th grade when we had a job shadowing day and I did a whole day at a vet's office.  Two things happened that day that made me realize that there was no way that dream was ever going to happen.

1.  Someone's pet passed away;
2.  I watched the vet pregnancy test a horse

From that point, I wanted to be a special education teacher.  I used my free periods and study halls to volunteer in the special education classroom from 8th-12th grades.   I really enjoyed it.

Then I took my first class for teaching in college and that dream died in just a few weeks and I withdrew from the class.   Lesson plans?  Making presentations in front of the class?  yeah no.  hard pass tyvm.

I gave up on the college track when I got pregnant and smells made me gag involuntarily.   Walking into class and having 30 different perfumes, deodorants, aftershave and cleaning products hit me and I turned around and went home and withdrew from all my classes.

I ended up going back to a small private college when I was 24.  Got pregnant the end of the first quarter because Rufus has a sense of humor but was able to work with the instructors and take only core classes which were usually very small and some independent study that I could do from home for the most part so was able to stay in school.

Thanks to the few classes I did finish when I was right out of high school and my mom forcing me to take CLEP tests, I had about a year of credits that transferred and got my BA in paralegal studies from an ABA accredited program.

About 2 years later I was disabled.

Ash
5 hours ago, Flossie said:

BETTER THAN YOU!

Her Plexus brings all the grift to the yard. Dern right....

bird

My 8 year old son says Guess what quite a lot. Occasionally my 15 year old daughter will use it if she's very excited to tell us about something she has excelled at (she really struggles to blow her own trumpet so that's a way to start off I suppose). But it is definitely a phrase I associate with young children. Makes me think of Tim as a bit immature. But then again I can't relate to anything I read from them or read here about them. I know absolutely no one who behaves anything like this. The Facebook guessing game is just beyond my comprehension. I think as an English speaker who grew up watching British and American television and with a fair amount of cultural exposure I have been mistakenly thinking that we are all sort of similar. Moving to England made me realise that we have actually very little in common culturally. Same here. I just have no frame of reference for what is going on here. 

Fruitcake

Words fail me. There’s something clever here about which one is actually in prison (David gets my vote) but I haven’t had my coffee yet so I’m counting on y’all for the snarky follow through. 

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 30
  • Thank You 1

Petronella
5 minutes ago, bird said:

My 8 year old son says Guess what quite a lot. Occasionally my 15 year old daughter will use it if she's very excited to tell us about something she has excelled at (she really struggles to blow her own trumpet so that's a way to start off I suppose). But it is definitely a phrase I associate with young children. Makes me think of Tim as a bit immature. But then again I can't relate to anything I read from them or read here about them. I know absolutely no one who behaves anything like this. The Facebook guessing game is just beyond my comprehension. I think as an English speaker who grew up watching British and American television and with a fair amount of cultural exposure I have been mistakenly thinking that we are all sort of similar. Moving to England made me realise that we have actually very little in common culturally. Same here. I just have no frame of reference for what is going on here. 

My problem with Tim's use of it is that the phrase is clearly meant to indicate something both surprising and good. So someone announcing, "Guess what? I won first place!" makes sense to me. Tim announcing, "Guess what I'll be debt free!" implies that we should be surprised at this, in fact amazed. It contains the presumption that we non-Rodrigueses never thought of this amazing possibility, nor achieved it, because we as non-Rodrigueses don't live as holily as they.

Or maybe it is, as you say, just childish and enthusiastic, which is better.

4 minutes ago, Fruitcake said:

Words fail me. There’s something clever here about which one is actually in prison (David gets my vote) but I haven’t had my coffee yet so I’m counting on y’all for the snarky follow through. 

What do you think she means by "modern day faith"? *scratching my head*

CTRLZero
7 minutes ago, Petronella said:

What do you think she means by "modern day faith"?

The ability of Christians to watch football games on their phones?  Who knows.  But it looks like Jill is in a bigger baby cage.

"13 children and open to more."  Sigh... 

meee

That makes it sound like #14 is not, in fact, on the way.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 11

freealljs

Modern day faith = BETTER THAN YOU sluttish heathens and other Christians who persecute the Godly Rods.

I was thinking about how Tim could help those in his home state (or any state in the US for that matter). I've never seen the Rods pack into their RV and help those in need EVER. When they were last in Florida, they did not stop in the areas devastated by Hurricane Michael. They could have handed out water, helped with the clean up, but nope. No Rod Pod in sight. Instead, they went to southern Florida, always ready for a handout.

Nor did they stop in California, where those horrible wildfires burned whole towns down, to assist with the cleanup after they dropped Tim off.  

bird
12 minutes ago, Petronella said:

My problem with Tim's use of it is that the phrase is clearly meant to indicate something both surprising and good. So someone announcing, "Guess what? I won first place!" makes sense to me. Tim announcing, "Guess what I'll be debt free!" implies that we should be surprised at this, in fact amazed. It contains the presumption that we non-Rodrigueses never thought of this amazing possibility, nor achieved it, because we as non-Rodrigueses don't live as holily as they.

It is definitely a strange turn of phrase for a 19 year old. We are in agreement. But everything here is strange.

Cora Persephona

I am not a native speaker of English, but "Happy Father's Day to a man that has some of the most modern day faith I have ever met. " sounds very weirdly phrased to me.  She met the most modern day faith? Why a man and not the man? Also he has some of this modern day faith, but not all of it?

Also, is modern day faith considering loud makeup and hair modest? 

We don't really do father's day in my country, is it usual to have the wife/partner posting the message to her husband/partner when the children are old enough to do so on their own? A picture of him with the kids and maybe a caption with how much the kids love him would be much more on theme rather than a picture of them kissing through prison bars. I guess we needed a visual confirmation that he is indeed open to more...

Meh
acheronbeach
8 hours ago, Okie_Bokie said:

You know she's gonna steal some of that and use it!

Oh, and add Assistant to the CEO of All Things Truth Print Shop and writer/composer of the extraordinary song "These Hands."  🤮

Don't forget the classic "That's what Moooooommmieees Do."

Gimme a Free RV

When I was four years old, I wanted to be Mighty Mouse and/or Batman.

This weekend, I went to my parents' large IFB church for Father's Day.  I and one other sluttish elderly woman were the only congregants wearing pants.  I did, however, notice that the majority of women had short hair.  GASP! 

In that big sanctuary, they wanted guests to stand up and be introduced.  My dad instructed my DH to stand and my DH smugly said, "Not gonna happen."  I didn't see any families there with 13 children.  I guess those short-haired modest make-up-wearing hussies aren't surrendering their wombs to God's will.

6 minutes ago, Cora Persephona said:

I am not a native speaker of English...

I wish I could write in a second language as well as you do!

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

lizzybee
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, Okie_Bokie said:

Re:  meme with Queen Elizabeth and Trump that Jill reposted with enthusiasm:

Hi Jill - Snopes says you and your memes are flat-out liars.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/queen-elizabeth-praised-trump/

You're such a sheep.*   (*Jill, that means you're a mindless follower of trendy things, not someone who follows the Good Shepherd.)

A few years ago, I decided to try partaking of the kool-aid, and dipped my toe cup into the fundamentalist fountain. One of the things that surprised me the most was how truly they avoided...thinking/asking questions/pursuing understanding. 

Examples:

1. One of my church friends picked me up to go somewhere with the group and on the way there she was excitedly informing me that she'd heard on the news that they were impeaching Obama and that congress had started doing so that very day. I knew without Googling that this was an impossibility - but as she continued to talk, I was clandestinely trying to find on my phone even one source for her information. To this day I have no idea who or what told her that. I am still marveling over how for something she was so pleased and interested in, she didn't desire to know more and go in search of that information.

2. In the few months we were at this church, I'd say at least five families were taken in by a vacuum sales-scam. The idea was that you'd buy their ridiculously expensive vacuum and you could "work" it off by guilting everyone you know into submitting to an in home demonstration where they're likely to also be taken in. We submitted to such a demonstration out of pity, and the salesperson was very angry we didn't buy. I think she was very used to success within this circle at that point. By the time we had left the church the person from number 1 had quit her regular job (the one she had told me she openly rebelled against her family to go to tech school for as a woman) to become a vacuum scam artist. Cool. 

3. On so many occasions the pastor's wife would encourage us to not compare notes or ask questions because that was "gossiping." Even in the case of a church family living in extreme poverty with the wife and children being subjected to unspeakable abuse. I was speaking to her looking for advice about a few subjects and many times she told me that my thinking too much was Satan and that when I find myself having questions and confusion (i.e. moments of clarity) I needed to pray more and not rely on myself so much. Essentially, just stop thinking and relying on your mind to help you navigate life. Just pray it all away.   

4. Finally, and this isn't important but it was just weird talking to people who didn't get cultural references. I had to explain to the pastor and his wife that Jimmy Buffett's Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant was harkening to his hit song. In another instance, friend had turned on a movie for her kids and I mentioned that the voice actor sounded like Snoop Dogg. She told me she didn't know who that was just that he made "wrong music." Ok then. 

I didn't last long, obviously, but the remnants of the kool-aid is still something I'm trying to shake. Cults are a scary thing. You don't think it can happen to you, but no one is safe. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 23
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 16

lizzybee

Here's the unsaid in Tim's post that I derived from it: "Guess what? (punctuation mine) My education isn't for heathen self-gain like yours was!screw you for bettering yourself when you should be lowering yourself for Jesus. MY education is FOR Jesus and HE SAID I COULD GO LEARN things. You? Did you even ask God what He wanted for your life while you were racking up sinful debt?" 

Yeah, I think he wrote it. It feels like the regurgitation of someone trapped inside a fundamentalist mindset given to them by their parents. His self-righteousness is the wrapping on a lifetime of poverty and hardship brought onto the whole family from  the grasp of this culty belief system. The things our culture says we can do to help ourselves is out of bounds for those who believe getting jobs and working in ways that aren't for Jesus is sinful and self-serving. The type of belief system that has you quitting full time jobs and forgoing educations and licensure in cosmetology to instead live in an RV with a dozen other people and beg others to feed you because you're too busy serving Jesus to do more than grapple hungrily over chicken legs. The Duggars and the Bates are really dangerous* because they have TV money and you don't see them starving and actively limiting themselves the way these people do. These people are stunted, hungry, confused, and controlled under the grip of a mindset that they bow to over their own active brain ideas. They flagellate themselves and each other down until there's no self left, only the mindset. It's horrifying and pitiable because it's so hard to break free of it. The Jills and the Timothys NEED to hate and belittle and be self-righteous about their situations and choices because they've broken themselves down so low that if they're not right, if they don't have the moral superiority and this life is really it - what do they have? And what have they done to themselves and their families? If the bubble pops they're literally just some people who've taken and taken from themselves and refused to stand on their own two feet and provide for their families for the sake of the mindset (ministry). They've staked everything on being right and if they're wrong - what a waste.  

*Really dangerous is such an understatement but what words are adequate in this case, I don't know.  Like should be illegal to allow them to advertise this lifestyle as anything but soul-sucking, impoverishing, mind crushing danger. If anyone is on the fence about whether this is a scary ideology and lifestyle, I beg you to look at families like this one. These people have all the same tools as anyone to feed, clothe, educate, and live as anyone else. But they refuse to and are so confused by their beliefs they  shame you for not struggling along with them. It's very sad, and you should never allow them to gain power over your mind that even a kernel of what they're saying is true. They need mental help, not the pleasure of more converts. I've compared the Bates to zombies before, shouting "brains brains!" because that's what they want:your mind, captive to their beliefs so they can control you to think as they do so they can grow in number and their hive mind can be the prevailing thought. 

• Upvote 34
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 11

Gimme a Free RV

@lizzybee, I SO agree and empathize with your posts.  It makes me see red when other Christians post ridiculously false statements on their FB timelines--statements that anybody with a brain would know could NOT be true!  The "quote" from Queen Elizabeth in that Trump meme that Jill posted did not at all sound like something the Queen would say.  It is also my understanding that the Queen does not give interviews.  To me, if someone can re-post garbage like this, what in the world makes what they say and write credible?  Doing so spreads lies and gossip, two plainly sinful things, according to ANY version of the Bible.

It isn't about politics or how a person feels about candidates or people in office.  I just can't get behind slanderous lies and the people who continue to post them.  

Jill!  This makes you a LIAR!!!!  How do you reconcile THAT with scripture?  Go ahead.  Just try to defend yourself.