• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 100: Praefulgeo Ergo Sum!

Granwych
15 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I see you have yet to accept the one true Fruit.  You have been worshiping false fruits.   The Fruit which is the Fruitiest among all other fruits.  That fruit would be the Kiwi.

The fruit with a place of honor in chez Wych is beaded plastic stuff.  Not for eating, if course--all those little pins and beads really do a number on one's mouth and gullet.  Plus, it's rather dried out, having graced our home for over 30 years.

I worship false fruits proudly!

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 19
  • Love 2

Closed Womb
Posted (edited)

Hmm, what did I want to be at 4?  I’m not sure I remember, since my parents wouldn’t have reinforced my pre-school musings as some sort of established life goal.  

I *do* remember wanting to be a nurse, later a teacher.  A nurse would have been a horrible fit for me, and the idea of me being a k-12 teacher, as I imagined, is laughable (no way I could deal with parents or watching my language), although my current career is as a professor, so not too far off, childhood CW!    I also wanted to be a lawyer and I desperately wanted to go into marketing.  So much so that, had I not been an intern, I would have gone that route in school.  Guess what?  Interned via my local community college and HATED marketing.  It derailed everything in the most delightful way and allowed a whole different course for my life, including a (gasp) 15 year break from school.  

I can’t imagine digging my heels in and insisting that I would be what I wanted to be at 4, or 7, or even 17.  Even less can I imagine my parents digging in their heels.  

I’m not saying Timmy doesn’t want to fly Bibles around, but I am wondering what he might want to do with his life if he knew this path is not required just because he put a wish into words as little more than a baby.   

Edited by Closed Womb
I *swear* proofreading before hitting submit is useless.
  • Upvote 35
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Cora Persephona

Ugh, I could never brag about being "debt free" when I accomplished this by begging other people for money. While it's not shameful to ask for help when needed (although we all know his family always needs it), you can't just completely ignore this and boast about being better with money than other people that get into debt for college.  Especially when you are also the best Christian ever. Weren't you meant to be humble?

Ozlsn
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Petronella said:

Even fourteen years ago, “[flying] Bibles to other countries” was quaint. Not because I disrespect the Bible, but because the internet exists.

As do local printing facilities which are probably better set up to print in local languages anyway!! I can see that some more remote areas (e.g. places in PNG which have pretty much a different language per valley in the highlands) there might still be a need for pilots to fly in materials (although frankly I think medical supplies and transporting people and goods in and out would be more useful than Bibles) - but again, training local people who have a better idea of the customs and language should probably be the eventual goal, not sending in under-educated dreamers from outside.  

As for the:

"Well at that point I still had 14 more years before I could even start the long road of college to become a missionary pilot. Now I am flying, but still have about 3 more years of college."

Oh for the love of Rufus, he really has no idea at all about this. It is a pity that the 14 years he could have been getting an actual education and perhaps an idea of the many possibilities out there were essentially wasted. He is so far behind the 8-ball educationally that catching up for this course will be tough, if not impossible.

Genuine question here - does the homeschool graduation the three eldest have been through have any firm requirements to graduate? Do they have to have passed any external testing, or is it entirely parent/teacher assessed, or just "yay, you're 18 - welcome to the end of compulsory education, here's a meaningless cap and gown to celebrate"? I remember when Nurie graduated that the other two in her group both had lists of accomplishments, so it is possibly just the Rods who "graduate" with nothing - but if I were the association doing the ceremony I'd want some indication that the students were at least achieving to their capacity, not least so the certificate didn't become regarded as "sub-standard".

Edited by Ozlsn

sparkles
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Genuine question here - does the homeschool graduation the three eldest have been through have any firm requirements to graduate? Do they have to have passed any external testing, or is it entirely parent/teacher assessed, or just "yay, you're 18 - welcome to the end of compulsory education, here's a meaningless cap and gown to celebrate"? I remember when Nurie graduated that the other two in her group both had lists of accomplishments, so it is possibly just the Rods who "graduate" with nothing - but if I were the association doing the ceremony I'd want some indication that the students were at least achieving to their capacity, not least so the certificate didn't become regarded as "sub-standard".

According to this, if I’m reading correctly, it looks like everything, aside from some basic standardized testing, is up to the parents. 

https://www.time4learning.com/homeschooling/west-virginia/laws-requirements.html

Edited by sparkles

Mischievous
nelliebelle1197
17 hours ago, freejugar said:

Tim is quite smug for a college drop out

If he fails a class, will he blame it on stan hindering?

Is Stan Hindering Beansie’s brother who is responsible for Jill’s poor homeschooling skills?

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 19

Petronella
2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

As do local printing facilities which are probably better set up to print in local languages anyway!! I can see that some more remote areas (e.g. places in PNG which have pretty much a different language per valley in the highlands) there might still be a need for pilots to fly in materials (although frankly I think medical supplies and transporting people and goods in and out would be more useful than Bibles) - but again, training local people who have a better idea of the customs and language should probably be the eventual goal, not sending in under-educated dreamers from outside.

Yes, that too!

As I recall from my evangelical days, the Bible-transport dream was of smuggling Bibles into countries where Christianity is illegal. But, like, that's not a *career*. That's something a commercial pilot could help with outside of regular work, but it's not a source of income, and not constant/steady.

So I find this missionary pilot career business baffling. Why not just be a pilot who's also a Christian? A pilot who works for a charity/missionary organization? So you'd study aviation, not "missionary aviation." Like, doctors who have the goal of doing charity/missionary service still go to normal medical school, not "charity doctor medical school."

I worry about Timothy facing the math and science classes that have been listed. He doesn't have the foundation and will need a lot of help. I hope he gets it...and accepts it, which may include accepting a slower timeline of progress than he's expecting (and, unfortunately, crowing about).

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Mischievous
nelliebelle1197
17 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Surely somebody in their family - maybe even David - will at some point realize how far behind the kids educations are. I'd bet members of his family worry about it, or else are kept deliberately in the dark about it. 

Jill is a second generation homeschooler. All the Noyes grandchildren are likely getting the same education. There is no one and honestly we have no clue about David’s education.

Petronella
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, sparkles said:

According to this, if I’m reading correctly, it looks like everything, aside from some basic standardized testing, is up to the parents. 

https://www.time4learning.com/homeschooling/west-virginia/laws-requirements.html

From the HEAV website re eligibility to participate in the graduation:

"HEAV does not have academic (GPA, credits, or courses) or age requirements for participation in the graduation ceremony. Consistent with our belief that education is the primary responsibility of parents, we leave this decision in the hands of each family. As long as the graduate has been home educated for a minimum of one year under Virginia law §22.1-254.1 (homeschool statute), §22.1-254(B)(1) (religious exemption), or §22.1-254(A) (certified tutor provision), we invite your family to participate. If the participating graduate is from another state, he or she will have to have abided by the laws pertaining to home instruction in that state."

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 9
  • Thank You 14

Petronella

This from Timothy's Instagram post is still sticking in my craw: "Praise the Lord, and guess what I don't owe a penny in student loans."

I know it's been explained that future missionarying will require debt-freeness, and so that's a priority for him. But the absolute obsession with avoiding student loans as if they're inherently sinful is bizarre.

Pro-tip: if you study a subject that leads to a job that pays a salary and doesn't require grifting, you can pay your student loans back!

Pro-tip: if you put the time and effort in (and here I mean parental effort as well) to excel at high school academics, you can earn scholarships!

Those aren't the only ways forward, but they act like the taking of a student loan is a moral act, rather than a practical one within a grand scheme of checks and balances.

It makes me so mad that Jill and David are acting like Tim's education *begins* at college. I don't believe for one second that they've taught him any math above arithmetic. Even though they're obviously not capable of teaching higher than that themselves, why haven't they gotten him a tutor or joined a co-op class or online course? After all, they claim they've known that this is his educational and career path for FOURTEEN YEARS. So why haven't they prioritized the subjects that he needs?

We're at the age that we and a lot of our friends--both homeschooling and school-schooling--are seeing our kids through the exams that lead to university and apprenticeships/jobs. There's a lot to it. I'm heartbroken by the educational neglect this family has visited on their children.

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

JermajestyDuggar
24 minutes ago, Whooping_Butt said:

At 4 I wanted to be a garbage man. They got to ride on the side of the truck and it looked so fun! At other times as I grew up I wanted to be a ballerina, play in an orchestra, be a psychologist, a stand up comedian, a writer, a marine biologist. 

I wonder if Tim really never changed his mind in those 14 years, or if he did it was promptly squashed since missionary pilot was something Jill and David wanted to be able to brag about. 

Side note: My mom told me I could be a garbage man because I was 4. She knew I’d probably change my mind a dozen times before I was grown, so she encouraged me which gave me confidence. And if I had gone into sanitation work then she wouldn’t have been upset, because it’s  an important job, and because she never pinned her personal hopes and dreams on me. I don’t think that can be said of Jill. 

My four year old wants to be a “van man.” Which sounds creepy and weird at first. No he doesn’t want to be Matt Foley and live in a van down by the river. He wants to drive a van and make deliveries. I tell him that’s fine. The world is in need of delivery men and he would probably always have a job. But I’m sure he will change his mind before he’s an adult. 

• Upvote 28
  • Haha 12
  • Love 7

CTRLZero

By the time I was ready to finally buckle down and finish my BA, about 12 years had passed since high school.  I enrolled at the local community college to take remedial math and science.   It was very tough, since so much time had passed and I was rusty.  To Timothy, everything is going to be a new concept, because I doubt David and Jill were able to help him through the finer points of algebra, biology, logic, etc.

In my case, the pay bump from acquiring the degree made my effort worth it (plus, I really liked learning), and the few student loans I took were paid off quickly.  I hope Timothy does get his pilot's license, but if he doesn't, I hope he at least learns something along the way.  Life doesn't always go in the direction you plan when you are four years old. 

For the record, my dream was to be Della Street (legal assistant to Perry Mason on TV).  I achieved my dream, sans glamor and fame, lol.

koalawatch

12 hours ago, clarinetpower said:

You don’t have to be 23 to get a commercial license in the US. Minimum age is 18, 17 for private. Laws have changed, but my dad was licensed private at 16, got commercial after, and paid his way through college as a flight instructor. College was much cheaper then.

Thank for correcting that.

DarkAnts

Moody has its own student loan program that includes forgiveness. My guess is that the loan is forgiven after so many years of being a missionary for a reputable mission organization. The whole I need to be debt free thing comes from his parents. 

Satisfied
Whooping_Butt
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My four year old wants to be a “van man.” Which sounds creepy and weird at first. No he doesn’t want to be Matt Foley and live in a van down by the river. He wants to drive a van and make deliveries. I tell him that’s fine. The world is in need of delivery men and he would probably always have a job. But I’m sure he will change his mind before he’s an adult. 

For a guy living in a van down by the river Matt Foley seemed to get a decent amount of motivational speaking gigs! 😂😂😂

HarryPotterFan
18 hours ago, clese said:

Gone right off timothy..gah..so smug

And jill ffs that picture and quote from the queen is a piss take.

These PEOPLE! !!

FDFE4D27-1FD2-4DF1-BDF7-215E8624F50F.jpeg.41d8be12facc8ded4d81fdee5aba10e0.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 28
  • Love 3

JermajestyDuggar
2 minutes ago, Whooping_Butt said:

For a guy living in a van down by the river Matt Foley seemed to get a decent amount of motivational speaking gigs! 😂😂😂

But I imagine all his money went to replacing all those broken tables ;)

Jana814
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Whooping_Butt said:

Matt Foley is the reason why when I hear motivational speaker. I always ask “does he live in a van down by the river”. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

Satisfied
Whooping_Butt
Just now, DarkAnts said:

Moody has its own student loan program that includes forgiveness. My guess is that the loan is forgiven after so many years of being a missionary for a reputable mission organization. The whole I need to be debt free thing comes from his parents. 

The debt free thing drives me nuts. I’m sure there was a reason for it in the Bible, but in these times it’s very hard to get buy without some debt. People should use credit responsibly and not borrow more than they can pay back, but sometimes taking on some debt is reasonable. A mortgage, student loans, even using a store credit card for a discount and paying it off right away. 

Working your way through school is a laudable goal if it’s actually possible. I have to wonder though if Tim would have done better at Moody if he didn’t have to work full time. If had taken a loan and was able to focus on school and had time for tutoring he may have gotten farther at Moody than he did. 

Jana814
2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But I imagine all his money went to replacing all those broken tables ;)

That wasn’t even suppose to happen. According to a story I heard he was suppose to hit the table. But during the live performance he decided to land on the table (I don’t think it was suppose to break). 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

Spent
ViolaSebastian
Just now, Whooping_Butt said:

Working your way through school is a laudable goal if it’s actually possible. I have to wonder though if Tim would have done better at Moody if he didn’t have to work full time. If had taken a loan and was able to focus on school and had time for tutoring he may have gotten farther at Moody than he did. 

Working through school used to be very doable for most people--people's money went further and tuition wasn't nearly as outrageously expensive as it is today. But I bristle when Jill and Tim (who I am quickly coming to dislike very much) imply that it's some sort of moral failing if a person has to take out student loans to get through school. When I went back to school, I could only work part-time due to my disability and having to do an absurd number of practicum hours as mandated by my profession's licensing rules. I worked my ass off, and even though I took out loans, it wasn't like I had some kind of easy time kicking off because I didn't have to work full time. (Which wouldn't have paid for my living expenses and tuition anyway--and I went to in-state public universities). It pisses me off that they're pretending that Tim is something special in doing this WHEN HE WAS JUST BEGGING FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY to sort his money problems out. That doesn't make you better than me, Tim, it just means you have less shame about demanding that other people pay your way. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

Satisfied
Whooping_Butt
4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Working through school used to be very doable for most people--people's money went further and tuition wasn't nearly as outrageously expensive as it is today. But I bristle when Jill and Tim (who I am quickly coming to dislike very much) imply that it's some sort of moral failing if a person has to take out student loans to get through school. When I went back to school, I could only work part-time due to my disability and having to do an absurd number of practicum hours as mandated by my profession's licensing rules. I worked my ass off, and even though I took out loans, it wasn't like I had some kind of easy time kicking off because I didn't have to work full time. (Which wouldn't have paid for my living expenses and tuition anyway--and I went to in-state public universities). It pisses me off that they're pretending that Tim is something special in doing this WHEN HE WAS JUST BEGGING FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY to sort his money problems out. That doesn't make you better than me, Tim, it just means you have less shame about demanding that other people pay your way. 

Exactly! I went to a state school with in-state tuition. I worked part time the whole time I was a full time student. I had loans. I worked to buy food and pay rent. I had a roommate the whole time. It’s not like I was working to support a drug habit. And you’re absolutely right, money used to go much farther. Even state school tuition is high now. It’s not a moral failing if you need student loans. I think it is a moral failing to grift a house for your 13 kids you knowingly brought into the world because you refuse to get a mortgage like the rest of us.