IGNORED

Missionary with bogus medical practice linked to deaths of Ugandan children

NachosFlandersStyle

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

ETA: A critical article from last November with a rebuttal from Renee's mother, Lauri. 

Reading the rebuttal. Call me cynical but I don't believe a doctor would call on someone "serving in an administrative capacity" with some IV placement training to place an IV in a difficult patient over, say, other nursing or medical staff. I mean, I have phlebotomy training and some experience and I can guarantee medical staff will not call on me first in a hospital setting, and certainly not get staff to call me in if I wasn't there ffs!! That just sounds ridiculously shady - oh and the photographer just happened to be there that day? 

And seriously even if the centre is busy and the nurses "appreciated the extra pair of hands" she should not be doing medical procedures of any description without qualified supervisors. There are a lot more ways you could ease the burden on the nurses and let them focus on the medical things without doing those procedures yourself.

I just do not get the absolute hubris of thinking you can go over with minimal training and run a medical clinic, seriously. They would have done more good if she'd stayed home and fundraised for MSF.

• Upvote 24
  • Love 5

7 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

There are a lot more ways you could ease the burden on the nurses and let them focus on the medical things without doing those procedures yourself.

Emptying bed pans or changing sheets come to mind as helpful things a non-professional could do in a clinic or hospital setting. 

Starting an IV line does NOT come to my mind as something a medical professional would ever ask a layperson to do.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, DangerNoodle said:

It's much better than what's going to happen to her. Which is absolutely nothing. She took babies, lied about being a doctor, treated them and they died. And she will never be punished.

Okay. Let's hang her at dawn! No wait, I still don't believe in capital punishment, especially by hanging. That was my entire point. Do I want to see her punished? Yes. But you said that you wanted to see her hanged. As a figure of speech, I'll go with it. If there's a true intent behind it, my conscience compels me to object. Hanging? It's a bit harsh.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Bumping

Someone turned me here onto the Behind the Bastards podcast. He is awesome.

He has discovered Renee Bach. He found her blog on the way back machine. She's his villian this week.

Someone needs to turn him on to Steven Anderson. Like now. He is perfect fodder for this guy.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

The "No White Saviors" Instagram above introduced me to this- it's a solid, educational, unapologetic account and I highly recommend following it. I think they brought this up on another post, but what would happen if a nineteen-year-old Ugandan layperson who presented themselves as having medical experience came to the US and had EVEN ONE rural caucasian child die in their care?

Renee Bach deserves some serious punishment, as does this whole board/her family. This isn't just egotistical or fundie shenanigans; this is bare-faced, white supremacist racism literally killing children. Whatever happens to her, I hope it's spelled out in no kinder terms and she and her family has to face that reality again and again every day for the rest of their lives.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

On 6/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, OyToTheVey said:

I'm typically a fan of organizations like Doctors without Borders. I believe licensed medical professionals are necessary in remote areas. However, all of these "Christian" organizations are a disaster waiting to happen. If Jesus called to you and made you go to Africa to help the children, they shouldn't be forced to sit thru bible class. True altruistic work doesn't require anything back. As all the articles allege, she was practicing medicine without a license or knowledge and should be prosecuted to the fullest. Uganda needs doctors and nurses not 18 year olds with bibles.

The sad thing is that the child she's in the process of adopting is going to get the blunt of all punishment.

I totally agree. I‘m a licenced medical professional, and in my younger days I actually looked into the requirements for Doctors without Borders (German Division). Not only do they require an actual medical degree, but also at least 2-3 years practical experience in a relevant specialty (that would exclude mine), plus experience in working an travelling in tropical regions. THEN they will let you work under supervision of an experienced doctor. 

This is the professional standard if you want to do any good in a humanitarian crisis - and don‘t get me started about the logistics behind the operation for supplies, setting up a camp etc. 

Bottom line for me: I love Doctors without Borders, but I am NOT the least bit qualified to do what they do. Therefore, I support them with my donations. 

• Upvote 25
  • Love 7

10 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

The "No White Saviors" Instagram above introduced me to this- it's a solid, educational, unapologetic account and I highly recommend following it. I think they brought this up on another post, but what would happen if a nineteen-year-old Ugandan layperson who presented themselves as having medical experience came to the US and had EVEN ONE rural caucasian child die in their care?

Renee Bach deserves some serious punishment, as does this whole board/her family. This isn't just egotistical or fundie shenanigans; this is bare-faced, white supremacist racism literally killing children. Whatever happens to her, I hope it's spelled out in no kinder terms and she and her family has to face that reality again and again every day for the rest of their lives.

Honestly, I think a lot of whites operate under the belief that black and brown people should be thankful for whatever crumbs are thrown their way, even if it’s substandard care. It’s why nobody (or rather not enough people) cares about the Indians harmed by the Missionaries of Charity. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

What a terrible mess.  It's amazing what depths of delusion people can fall into.  What is horrific is that it looks like she will face no accountability for her actions.  Having escaped that homeschool world, looking back my jaw drops at times. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

The more I read the worse the situation sounds. She was clearly doing way, way more than occasionally helping the doctors. And she kept doing it after local authorities told her to stop.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 6/19/2019 at 4:01 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

Bumping

Someone turned me here onto the Behind the Bastards podcast. He is awesome.

He has discovered Renee Bach. He found her blog on the way back machine. She's his villian this week.

Someone needs to turn him on to Steven Anderson. Like now. He is perfect fodder for this guy.

I started listening last night. I got chills when they talked about her seeking out children. Children in actual medical facilities.

Is she white saviorism's worst case scenario or is she even more than that?

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I listened to BTB this morning...I almost shrieked when they talked about how she would Skype doctors in the states for their opinions on what she would do. Every single one of those doctors needs their license revoked and they need to be prosecuted for being an accessories to murders. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 13
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

SHC has scrubbed or made private their social media pages as well as purged some of the more egregious blog posts from its website. Unfortunately for them, some stuff is still visible on the Wayback Machine.

There are some reports that the Ugandan legal proceedings against Bach have now been postponed until sometime in 2020 but haven't yet found any confirmation. Bach's whereabouts are also unclear.

• Thank You 9

Renee (or SHC) has now responded, via the Daily Fail:

...Reputational terrorists are attacking Renee Bach and SHC with false allegations using the platform of social media enabling entire communities to determine guilt or innocence, creating a false reality without factual evidence. These escalating attacks are currently threatening the personal safety of Ms. Bach and her family, as people are believing these lies about her and the services provided by the organization. The media is escalating these safety risks by globally sharing false information. 

The civil lawsuit was filed against Ms. Bach in Uganda by two mothers is entirely without merit, and will be vigorously answered in court. Ms. Bach has responded through her legal counsel to all court matters. One of the children in the lawsuit was never treated by SHC. The other child was treated at SHC while Ms. Bach was not in Uganda. These sensational allegations are patently false and fail to recognize the 3,600 malnourished children who have recovered because of the care and treatment provided by SHC....

The Government of Uganda has approved and supports what SHC is doing in their country as part of their goal to reduce malnutrition. SHC is 100% nationally led and continues to provide quality care meeting national guidelines and under the supervision of the Uganda Ministry of Health.

• Thank You 7

"Reputational terrorists" that's a new one.

We've seen the evidence, and it doesn't make Renee look good.

ETA: Even if she has saved thousands, that doesn't make it okay. 

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

"Reputational terrorists" that's a new one.

We've seen the evidence, and it doesn't make Renee look good.

ETA: Even if she has saved thousands, that doesn't make it okay. 

There are some days that I just weep that we're out of room for more post count titles...

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Are we "Reputational Terrorists" now?

Sorry, Renee, as I have heard often:  if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck!  I'd say she's quacking loudly.  (Not intended as a pun, but now that I see it typed I like that particular word:  quack).

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Briefly said:

Are we "Reputational Terrorists" now?

Sorry, Renee, as I have heard often:  if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck!  I'd say she's quacking loudly.  (Not intended as a pun, but now that I see it typed I like that particular word:  quack).

Reputational terrorists of FJ unite!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Well, well, well. None other than David Gibbs III (G3) will  be representing Renee Bach & SHC, presumably in any proceedings in the US.

He says Renee's attackers "are using the internet to create a crisis that does not actually exist."

Swipe right through NWS's IG images in this post to see the announcement from the National Center for Life and Liberty:

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Well, well, well. None other than David Gibbs III (G3) will  be representing Renee Bach & SHC, presumably in any proceedings in the US.

If there was any doubt that situation is FUBAR, the entrance of David Gibbs III puts it to rest. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

On 6/25/2019 at 1:18 AM, hoipolloi said:

(snip)

He says Renee's attackers "are using the internet to create a crisis that does not actually exist."

(snip)

Well, I wonder how he would feel if instead of a qualified medical professional, he'd have to face me in a crisis! Would he still stand by that statement, if he came into my make-shift hospital for appendicitis?

I bet he wouldn't want to see totally unqualified me...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

She made people. The her attorney statement now says the accusations are particularly false. This is getting more interesting. The statement has certainly changed from the earlier one.

“These sensational allegations are patently false and fail to recognize the 3,600 malnourished children who have recovered because of the care and treatment provided by Serving His Children.”

https://people.com/crime/virginia-missionary-uganda-allegedly-caused-deaths-2-children-impersonated-doctor/

• Thank You 7

I’ve been following this story for a couple weeks and I can’t even describe how bad it makes me rage. 

She experimented on poor black children who have little agency and protection because she CAN. They’re disposable. 

So much abuse and immoral shit goes on in the mission field because of lack of regulations, entitlement, gross white supremacy, corruption, manipulation and money. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

Read the second slide. It's a letter from her church addressing the fact that she practiced medicine without a license. They state thet they don't think she should be punished for this. 

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 13