IGNORED

Grandma Mary Died

princessmahina

On 6/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, Charliemae said:

I don't care about thread drift.  Sometimes I get annoyed when I have to skim passed endless posts about who wears shoes in the house and who only served punch and snacks at their reception.  Than I find myself sucked into War of the Roses and recipe drift.  However I have found it particularly jarring to come to a thread about someone dying and have to scroll through pages of pet pictures.  

I’m sorry you found it jarring to have to scroll through pages of pet pictures in a thread about Grandma Mary passing away. I think many posters genuinely felt (and still feel) grief at the thought of a beloved family member dying. In some ways posting pictures of very loved, sweet, and innocent pets who love(d) unconditionally is a tribute to all our loved ones who we have cherished  and lost. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

Is this just a natural thread drift or is it the new way to handle a troll?  Either way I love it, as I don't wear nail polish or much makeup.

(For new readers, at times when a thread had troll problems, members would start posting about makeup and nail polish until the troll got bored and went away.  You could learn a lot about that sort of thing if you were interested.  I'm pretty sure there are some FJers who would seek out such threads so they could engage in some beautifying conversations.)

Pet thread drift has been used for quite a long time to control for trolls.  IMO, it is infinitely more fun than our previous methods like NSFW defrauding photos and the pedicure maneuver.  I stopped using the pedicure maneuver myself when I inadvertently used it against MalteseBaby (of constipated 5 figure fish fame) in a Gothard thread.  For those who may not know, Bill Gothard had a foot fetish.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I don’t remember how this particular drift started, but yes. I can confirm that I’ve personally used pet thread drift - and seen it used by others - to deescalate conversations and help handle troll situations in the past. I figure it’s cute and a topic most people are relatively interested in or at least ok with, so more people are likely to want to participate to keep the adorable going. 

In this case I don't think it started out as troll control.  But it went wild when a newish member asked people not very politely to stop posting pet photos.  That was just pouring gasoline on the thread drift flames.  ? 

7 minutes ago, Dutch_girl said:

Share and save the difference?

That was so dark.  But incredibly funny!

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

I love pet drift and would participate more, but I honestly talk about both of my cats AND my weird fundie interest IRL enough that I'm just the littlest bit worried about self-doxxing, so I don't really participate. Nail talk is just scroll-worthy for me though... sorry, I do use nail polish, but to me it's only slightly more interesting than dish soap, so keep the cute animals coming!

I can assure you all: I have pets and I love them and they are very cute.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

so keep the cute animals coming

Your wish, my command.  

Phoebe would like to meet you all.

59D04F84-94E6-42F1-9FAE-206BB72089DC.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 45

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Your wish, my command.  

Phoebe would like to meet you all.

59D04F84-94E6-42F1-9FAE-206BB72089DC.jpeg

I’m not saying I’m going to steal your dog. I’m just wondering where you live, what Phoebe’s favorite treat is, and what times she’ll be home by herself. :laughing-rolling:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 41
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m not saying I’m going to steal your dog. I’m just wondering where you live, what Phoebe’s favorite treat is, and what times she’ll be home by herself. :laughing-rolling:

Ha!   Believe it or not her favorite treats are homemade by her mommy.  

Shouldn’t tell you that the recipe is on Feed Jinger but she’d never leave :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ha!   Believe it or not her favorite treats are homemade by her mommy.  

Shouldn’t tell you that the recipe is on Feed Jinger but she’d never leave :) 

I need to save that!

I have two dogs. One old crazy lady (14, a mix from the shelter the size of a Border Collie) and her little sister (1, Chihuahua) who lives at her breeder/foster mummy until her big sister goes to heaven. She is trained to be somewhat like a service dog for me to accompany me when I'm outside. I'm Autistic and she will be a big support for me. 

I blog about her and our journey so far here on FJ.  Loved all the pictures on here.

And just today my Mum told me about a older women who suddenly lost her husband at age 60, the children were grown up and out of the house and so she got three dogs to keep her company. That is a plan for my future btw. I will be alone one day because I have no younger relatives and no friends my age so I'll get animals instead. Or maybe my Chihuahua will help me get contact to people and maybe we will find some friends? 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

43 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

I need to save that!

I have two dogs. One old crazy lady (14, a mix from the shelter the size of a Border Collie) and her little sister (1, Chihuahua) who lives at her breeder/foster mummy until her big sister goes to heaven. She is trained to be somewhat like a service dog for me to accompany me when I'm outside. I'm Autistic and she will be a big support for me. 

I blog about her and our journey so far here on FJ.  Loved all the pictures on here.

And just today my Mum told me about a older women who suddenly lost her husband at age 60, the children were grown up and out of the house and so she got three dogs to keep her company. That is a plan for my future btw. I will be alone one day because I have no younger relatives and no friends my age so I'll get animals instead. Or maybe my Chihuahua will help me get contact to people and maybe we will find some friends? 

Just an idea - if you get a dog with the right temperament and you’re interested then you could always try training them to be a therapy dog of some sort. It’d be a great bonding experience for you both to go through training and it’d help get you to meet new people if you volunteer at a hospital or retirement home or a school library or something. But even if you aren’t interested in that, your plan is a solid one that I fully support and endorse. :) 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 8

Just now, VelociRapture said:

Just an idea - if you get a dog with the right temperament and you’re interested then you could always try training them to be a therapy dog of some sort. It’d be a great bonding experience for you both to go through training and it’d help get you to meet new people if you volunteer at a hospital or retirement home or a school library or something. But even if you aren’t interested in that, your plan is a solid one that I fully support and endorse. :) 

There is a club nearby who trains dogs like that. They go to the local children hospice and other things. I would love to do that, but I'm not sure if I can handle the exams and everything you need for that. There is a video tapped final type of thing and you have to do that again after two years. Plus the training. Maybe we will find some unofficial low key option I can handle.

• Upvote 8

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to if that was discussed in depth here but I'm too lazy too read through all of the thread: I read on the Wiki page that Mary died because of accidental drowning, is that true? This sudden death must have been devastating! I really feel for them :-(

I cannot let my dd read this thread, she's never met a dog or cat, or turtle, guinea pig, hamster etc... she didn't fall in love with. We were walking at a local park last night and she had to pet ALL the dogs, she particularly loves Huskies, she needs to live on a big ranch so she can own all the pets because she wants all the pets.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I'm sorry to if that was discussed in depth here but I'm too lazy too read through all of the thread: I read on the Wiki page that Mary died because of accidental drowning, is that true? This sudden death must have been devastating! I really feel for them ?

Yes. It appears that was the cause of her death and that it was a very sudden and unexpected loss for them to deal with. 

• Thank You 2

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yes. It appears that was the cause of her death and that it was a very sudden and unexpected loss for them to deal with. 

oh what, i didnt know that! that's what i get for being super busy teaching during the time of her passing.  is this discussed further back in the thread? 

7 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

oh what, i didnt know that! that's what i get for being super busy teaching during the time of her passing.  is this discussed further back in the thread? 

I believe so. I think Pickles revealed the cause of death (in her normal super sympathetic way :roll:), but I can’t remember exactly. It appears she was at home, preparing for a welcome home or graduation party for two of the Duggar boys when she somehow wound up in the pool. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

Her daughter said she had a major stroke and drowned.  

• Thank You 7

• 2 weeks later...

I just read on Yahoo news that Grandma Mary died of a drowning? Is this true? I admit I never read all 27 pages of this thread but I never recall drowning being discussed when I skimmed them

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

I just read on Yahoo news that Grandma Mary died of a drowning? Is this true? I admit I never read all 27 pages of this thread but I never recall drowning being discussed when I skimmed them

The last four messages on this topic are a discussion of her drowning death...?

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

The last four messages on this topic are a discussion of her drowning death...?

Apologies for my offense

You didn't do anything wrong but literally the post right above your question mentions that she drowned. You didn't even have to read all 27 pages. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hypatia and Calpurnia (Scout and Sadie's little sisters) are pleased to join this thread drift.

IMG_20190811_121700.jpg

As is Chawlie, their uncle in another state.

IMG_20190822_110811.jpg

Edited by scoutsadie
words
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 11

25 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

IMG_20190822_110811.jpg

Hey Chawlie, loving the ear tip!

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

Hypatia and Calpurnia (Scout and Sadie's little sisters) are pleased to join this thread drift.

IMG_20190811_121700.jpg

IMG_20190822_110811.jpg

I’m pleased they join us as well ? Beauties! 

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

• 3 months later...

Sorry to reawaken the thread but tonight there was confirmation on Counting On from Jim Bob and Michelle that despite not knowing exactly what happened, they think Mary had a stroke, fell in the pool and tragically drowned.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5

On 8/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, Lizzybet said:

Hey Chawlie, loving the ear tip!

He says thanks! He got it after being neutered as a "feral" cat. (That word is in quotes because he's the furthest thing from feral - he was a stray, yes, but is so fat and chill and such a lap hog now - and has been ever since I can remember.

• Love 3