IGNORED

From the New York Times: Back to the Land, Reluctantly

Deleted12

People often only 'scratch the surface because it isn't really psychologically healthy for us to be doing what we *could* do (if a gun was held to our head) all the time.

This. Totally. I have been in panic mode for months now and it is just not healthy. I do not recommend adrenaline as a long-term plan.

'The best you can do' is a sliding scale. People often only 'scratch the surface because it isn't really psychologically healthy for us to be doing what we *could* do (if a gun was held to our head) all the time.

Totally agree. Am I doing absolutely everything I could be doing in my life? Absolutely not (if I were, I'd be a Maxwell. Or Martha Stewart. :lol:). But I think I am doing the best I can do in my circumstances. And what I tried to say was that each person needs to figure out where s/he is or needs to be on his/her own life scale. But just be honest with yourself when you look at your "measurement." That's all.

This article made me grumpy as well.

On one hand, I think I am someone who is doing the impossible on a daily basis, at immense personal expense. I think many people can get out of their dire straits and keep body with soul if needed. Some people are just lazy fucking whiners who want everything to be easy. I hate it when those people tell me I am lucky we can survive on such little income and get through school. It's not luck. It's hard work and I think people who do it deserve a little props. I'm not talking about anyone here, mainly my neighbors and such.

On the other hand, there is only so much a person can do, and I hate it when the complex issues behind poverty are distilled into laziness and lack of DIY spirit. Like, if I just hang out my laundry and raise chickens, life will be all better! I'll be able to pay off my medical debt and catch up on biochemistry homework and everyone will live happily ever after! I'm not allowed to do either of those in my low income housing, btw.

Agreed.

For an interesting different perspective: http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2 ... -can-just/

I LOVE the comments at that link. Home Truths. Round steak may be called 'steak', but it is tough meat to deal with and cheaper than hamburger most of the time, so don't give me crap about buying it.

I hear so many people whine about people on food stamps buying junk food, but the real way to piss off a line of shoppers is to have a cart full of fresh and healthy foods and then pull out the SNAP card. Never mind that I spent almost an hour planning how to buy a week's worth of healthy foods for seven people and keep it under $100; at least one person will comment that the food stamp diet can't be as bad as they hear.

Em: I noticed that too when I was a cashier. People expect you to buy crap when you are on SNAP. When you go against their expectations, you got even more scorn. From my experience, people on SNAP's carts were full of pretty much the same things as everyone else.

Archived