IGNORED

Hate crime laws/ordinances

47of74

The City Council in Iowa City is considering a hate crime ordinance.

The city council in Iowa City approved the first consideration of a hate crime ordinance in the city, directly in response to a number of hateful acts in recent years.

Hate crimes are already a penalty under state and federal law, but this new ordinance would specify a penalty for racial, gender, or religious-based harassment.

The Johnson County Interfaith Coalition, led by President Pastor Anthony Smith, worked for more than one year with lawyer, various groups including the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and a number of students at the University of Iowa law school, and others to draft an ordinance.

As described in the draft of the ordinance, the first offense of the simple misdemeanor charge would carry a jail sentence of three to seven days, and a fine rangig from $300 to $625. A second offense would come with a $625 fine and a 30 day jail sentence.

I hope this passes.  Of course the poor put upon Branch Trumpvidians will likely whine this takes away their rights to be hateful douche nozzles.

• Upvote 3

On 6/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, 47of74 said:

The City Council in Iowa City is considering a hate crime ordinance.

I hope this passes.  Of course the poor put upon Branch Trumpvidians will likely whine this takes away their rights to be hateful douche nozzles.

I hope it passes, too.  But they might not whine that it takes their rights away, they may be too smart to say that publicly.  But what they may say is what I hear every time a hate crime ordinance is suggested here:  That there is no need for that because crime is already against the law.  Every time it's suggested here, NE Oklahoma, that is what I hear.  They will never admit that there may be a specific reason for a specific ordinance.  Then there is another instance of a hate crime and I will still hear that there is no need because crime is all the same, etc.

• Upvote 2