IGNORED

Bishop Tobin (R-hypocrite) stepped in it over pride month

47of74

When a Catholic Bishop steps in it, he really steps in it

The LGBT community in Rhode Island is fiercely firing back after the bishop for Providence tweeted that Catholics shouldn’t support pride events.

“A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ ‘Pride Month’ events held in June,” Bishop Thomas Tobin tweeted Saturday. “They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals. They are especially harmful to children.”

Many also called the bishop a hypocrite for saying Pride Month is “harmful to children.”

Back when Tobin was auxiliary bishop of Pittsburgh, his diocese was named in a grand jury report on the cover-up of sexual abuse by the Catholic Church. Last year, Tobin told the Providence Journal that he was aware of reports of sexual abuse during his time in Pittsburgh, but he added they were outside his responsibility.

• WTF 3
  • Thank You 4

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

“A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ ‘Pride Month’ events held in June,” Bishop Thomas Tobin tweeted Saturday.

"They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals. They are especially harmful to children"

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Back when Tobin was auxiliary bishop of Pittsburgh, his diocese was named in a grand jury report on the cover-up of sexual abuse by the Catholic Church.

I'll just be over here swearing and banging my head on my desk if anybody needs me. :bangheaddesk:

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'll just be over here swearing and banging my head on my desk if anybody needs me. :bangheaddesk:

Between Republican politicians and reich wing religious types like Tobin I've completely filled up my swear jar and busted my desk banging my head against it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

Ah yes, another hypocrytical 'Think of the children' statement from the Catholic clergy...

One wonders what he thinks of the book 'In the Closet of the Vatican: Power, Homosexuality, Hypocrisy' by Frederic Martel (https://www.amazon.com/Closet-Vatican-Power-Homosexuality-Hypocrisy/dp/1472966147)

I was listening to the author on the radio the other day and he stated that due to secrecy it's unknown how many of the clergy in the Vatican are gay, but there are definately a number.  I mean we just have to look at articles like this... https://nypost.com/2017/07/05/vatican-cops-bust-drug-fueled-gay-orgy-at-cardinals-apartment/

• Upvote 4

“A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ ‘Pride Month’ events held in June,” Bishop Thomas Tobin tweeted Saturday. “They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals.

Had he left it there he might have got away with it, on the grounds that he would have been stating an accurate reflection of doctrine.

Trying to take the moral high ground when you've comprehensively dropped the ball - trying to use a child welfare argument when you've failed to protect children yourself - is sanctimonious hypocrisy at it's most unpalatable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Someone Out There said:

Ah yes, another hypocrytical 'Think of the children' statement from the Catholic clergy...

One wonders what he thinks of the book 'In the Closet of the Vatican: Power, Homosexuality, Hypocrisy' by Frederic Martel (https://www.amazon.com/Closet-Vatican-Power-Homosexuality-Hypocrisy/dp/1472966147)

I was listening to the author on the radio the other day and he stated that due to secrecy it's unknown how many of the clergy in the Vatican are gay, but there are definately a number.  I mean we just have to look at articles like this... https://nypost.com/2017/07/05/vatican-cops-bust-drug-fueled-gay-orgy-at-cardinals-apartment/

The book is interesting but VERY long and chatty and sometimes it feels down right gossipy. I still think that the general idea could very well be correct, but that he really only had material for half the number of pages and there is so much filler things that it is hard to process the book. I would love for more investigation into this though.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 5:43 AM, Syriana said:

Had he left it there he might have got away with it, on the grounds that he would have been stating an accurate reflection of doctrine.

Trying to take the moral high ground when you've comprehensively dropped the ball - trying to use a child welfare argument when you've failed to protect children yourself - is sanctimonious hypocrisy at it's most unpalatable. 

But by the same token , I think that we can do better than to respond to his edict with a Tu quoque fallacy .    I feel that it would be more worthwhile to simply counter this archbishop's assertion with this proclamation , for example .  https://www.episcopalchurch.org/posts/publicaffairs/presiding-bishops-pride-month-statement-honors-lgbtq-episcopalians   And then we might follow that up by illustrating why we believe that it is consistent with revealed scriptural truth to affirm same sex romance , and marriage , if we feel so inclined . Like with this , for instance .  http://www.allsaintssacramento.org/bible-really-says-lgbtq-people/