IGNORED

Gigi Question

ksuheather

On 6/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, Hane said:

Yeah. I’d love to hear her thoughts on how she really isn’t a Christian, as the Maxhellions rejoice in being “second generation” Christians.

They will probably take credit for "saving" Gigi. IIRC, there was a storyline about saving the grandparents in one of the Moody books.

• Upvote 3

Do I recall correctly that we rarely if ever saw Gigi and her husband (although I believe he was bedridden for years before he died) at Maxwell family gatherings? I'm wondering if Mr. Gigi and Steve had a falling out and Gigi was really only welcome at Chez Maxwell after her husband  died.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, MMAH said:

Just a history note: back in the day, the vacant lot across from the Patch Community Center on Pope Avenue had a dedicated Catholic Church--St. Ignatius.  We didn't have to share back then.  It burned down in December 2001 (has it really been that long ago?).  Now we're just retirees, and only head up there when we have problems with the paperwork and to visit the Munson pharmacy.

I myself have missed sightings by just a hair, when they go to the Legends.  Darn.

I remember St. Ignatius.  It was a beautiful church.  I do enjoy the Maxwell sightings. ❤️

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Do I recall correctly that we rarely if ever saw Gigi and her husband (although I believe he was bedridden for years before he died) at Maxwell family gatherings? I'm wondering if Mr. Gigi and Steve had a falling out and Gigi was really only welcome at Chez Maxwell after her husband  died.

Not quite.

IIRC, Teri's (always church-going) Dad is revered in Maxhell if only for his military service..  Unlike Steve's bio-dad.

Teri's Dad was also (per Steve) consulted on the Reversal.  But Steve's take is not often reliable.

Teri's Dad makes an appearance in an early Teri post when he rejected her newfound religious fervor, but they ultimately converted him.  And GiGi too!  Praise Steve's Lord!

That said, GiGi is not totally on board with Maxhell.  She has insisted on some independence.  She attends her long time church, not the Church of the Stevehovah Nursing Home.  And she has tootled off on cruises with her daughter (when she wears pants!) all by little herself.

Steve and Teri have made a lot of hay over their care for FIL and GiGi over the years.  They sort of miss out mentioning the care FIL and GiGi gave to Teri and kids after the Reversal and when Steve and depressed Teri moved back to Leavenworth with kids.

Teri's Dad was indeed very frail in the last years of his life.  Steve worked out a schedule for his sons to help GiGi care for FIL.  Steve was remarkable free from the schedule himself.  

And, of course, in Steve's opinion, only his sort of Christian cares for aging parents.  I beg to differ.  Many people care for aging parents and in-laws out of love and duty, but do not pat themselves on the back for it.  Or hold themselves up as examples to others.  They just do it!

To understand Steve and Teri, even vaguely, you have to read old posts.  And to my amusement and chagrin they seem to have deleted quite a few of the more outrageously self-congratulatory.

These are sill there though:

https://articles.titus2.com/we-ve-reversed-a-bad-decision/

and: https://articles.titus2.com/a-journey-through-depression/

Read 'em and weep.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

[snip] 

To understand Steve and Teri, even vaguely, you have to read old posts.  And to my amusement and chagrin they seem to have deleted quite a few of the more outrageously self-congratulatory.

Read 'em and weep.

There’s a lot of WTF?!? in there, but I’ll point out one. Technology. Steve points out that if we were meant to be in control of the number of live births we have, that we’d have been given the tools to do so without modern medicine. So why is birth control bad when the only reason Steve even has a blog is because of something that’s only been around a relatively short period of time? At least the Amish live as though technology never moved passed the 1700’s*. Steve, if you were consistent, shouldn’t you be rejecting electricity and modern cardiology and give up your cars? Because it makes as much sense! 

* Even some baptized Amish (meaning they’re done with rumspringa)  will use modern technology when convenient - ride cars owned by the English, fly in planes, and sometimes use other people’s phones, etc.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

What I find interesting about fundies is that whenever they talk about contraception, the vast majority of the time they’re referring to the pill. They barely ever talk about condoms. Condoms have been used for centuries, so they aren’t exactly modern.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 6/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, Palimpsest said:

Not quite.

IIRC, Teri's (always church-going) Dad is revered in Maxhell if only for his military service..  Unlike Steve's bio-dad.

Teri's Dad was also (per Steve) consulted on the Reversal.  But Steve's take is not often reliable.

Teri's Dad makes an appearance in an early Teri post when he rejected her newfound religious fervor, but they ultimately converted him.  And GiGi too!  Praise Steve's Lord!

That said, GiGi is not totally on board with Maxhell.  She has insisted on some independence.  She attends her long time church, not the Church of the Stevehovah Nursing Home.  And she has tootled off on cruises with her daughter (when she wears pants!) all by little herself.

Steve and Teri have made a lot of hay over their care for FIL and GiGi over the years.  They sort of miss out mentioning the care FIL and GiGi gave to Teri and kids after the Reversal and when Steve and depressed Teri moved back to Leavenworth with kids.

Teri's Dad was indeed very frail in the last years of his life.  Steve worked out a schedule for his sons to help GiGi care for FIL.  Steve was remarkable free from the schedule himself.  

And, of course, in Steve's opinion, only his sort of Christian cares for aging parents.  I beg to differ.  Many people care for aging parents and in-laws out of love and duty, but do not pat themselves on the back for it.  Or hold themselves up as examples to others.  They just do it!

Read 'em and weep.

Agreed. You cannot just read a few months of the blog and even fathom the Weirdness of the Maxwells.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 7:50 AM, kpmom said:

A Catholic chapel?

I so wanted this to be the case, only for the prospect of Gigi doing something that would give Steve an aneurysm. ?

• Haha 6

On 6/29/2019 at 8:19 PM, Giraffe said:

There’s a lot of WTF?!? in there, but I’ll point out one. Technology. Steve points out that if we were meant to be in control of the number of live births we have, that we’d have been given the tools to do so without modern medicine. So why is birth control bad when the only reason Steve even has a blog is because of something that’s only been around a relatively short period of time?

People were using birth control centuries before "modern medicine". Besides avoiding intercourse during fertile days and "leaving church before the benediction" (see Genesis 38, often misunderstood to be masturbation but the scripture is pretty clear that Onan just pulled out in time), the use of various barrier methods, like plants, acacia gum, honey, even half a lemon rind placed over the cervix are documented in papyrii from the 1500's to 1800's BCE.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

People were using birth control centuries before "modern medicine". Besides avoiding intercourse during fertile days and "leaving church before the benediction" (see Genesis 38, often misunderstood to be masturbation but the scripture is pretty clear that Onan just pulled out in time), the use of various barrier methods, like plants, acacia gum, honey, even half a lemon rind placed over the cervix are documented in papyrii from the 1500's to 1800's BCE.

Thanks for being more detailed about this. I should’ve said “chemical forms of birth control.” Because yes, as long as there have been humans there’ve been ways to prevent/abort pregnancies. 

• Upvote 5

• 9 months later...

Apart from the fact “god” gave us a predictable menstrual cycle that facilitates natural family planning, he also gave us lovely concepts like infant mortality and maternal malnutrition that effectively limited family sizes. Until the modern era most women had relatively few periods in their life - they started later because it took longer to build sufficient fat deposits, often didn’t return for years due to extended breastfeeding and the aforementioned nutrition issues, and were likely rare events between pregnancies. It’s the luxuries of modern life that allow women to have a quiverfull of live babies and survive the process themselves. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 6/29/2019 at 7:56 PM, Palimpsest said:

I had never thought to be grateful my ex-husband never discussed his testicles with my father.  But I am now.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 15

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I had never thought to be grateful my ex-husband never discussed his testicles with my father.  But I am now.

But did he stand up and look smug while his sons future father in law talked about them at a wedding? 

• Haha 12

• 1 month later...

Gigi is obviously the best Maxwell. She reminds me a little bit of my own grandma, actually. No doubt she's experienced difficulty and sorrow in her life - anyone her age has - but she always seems so radiant.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

36 minutes ago, Joe Pukepail said:

Gigi is obviously the best Maxwell. She reminds me a little bit of my own grandma, actually. No doubt she's experienced difficulty and sorrow in her life - anyone her age has - but she always seems so radiant.

Well, she's the best human member of the Maxwell family.  Theres also Ellie and Arnold.  They're pretty cool.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Well, she's the best human member of the Maxwell family.  Theres also Ellie and Arnold.  They're pretty cool.

I forgot about those two! My apologies to Ellie and Arnold. I would so love a spin-off wherein Gigi, Ellie, Arnold, and a bunch of the third generation bust out of the compound and travel the continent in a VW Westfalia, documenting the whole thing via Instagram. It would be like the meeting of two of my favorite Instagram accounts: Jacob Roloff's van life photodiary and Grandma Joy's Road Trip. ?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Bawhaha! A secret Catholic among us!

I feel like Steve probably would refer to them as "Papists". ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

18 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Bawhaha! A secret Catholic among us!

I was hoping!  But, apparently it was an interdenominational military chapel.

• Upvote 3