IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 6: Virgin Drinks and Beach Pics and Expecting

GreyhoundFan

4 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Yes, they stayed married for a few years but I think they split up because they wanted different things out of life. I still consider them a successful match though, since they were happy for quite a while.

I was surprised too. They seemed like a good match. I don’t watch the show anymore though. I think I tried watching the second season and it just seemed like they didn’t put as much thought into it as the first season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was surprised too. They seemed like a good match. I don’t watch the show anymore though. I think I tried watching the second season and it just seemed like they didn’t put as much thought into it as the first season. 

There was a lot of drama about the second season. I was an avid watcher the first 5 seasons. If you get bored, googled the second season. It's a disaster. IIRC there was a restraining order involved, a bunch of other issues.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Layla Rae Stewart. A good Scottish rock chick name! Hopefully she will be blessed with a brilliant voice, Guitar/drum talents and the energy required to escape ASAP. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

I'm bummed to read everyone saying "Rae" is just a filler name. Rae is a name in my mom's family - it's her middle name, part of her sister's name, and was almost my middle name. If I have a daughter Rae is going to be her middle name to honor my mom. My family is not Southern in any way. Didn't realize it was so "basic"! 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, neurogirl said:

I'm bummed to read everyone saying "Rae" is just a filler name. Rae is a name in my mom's family - it's her middle name, part of her sister's name, and was almost my middle name. If I have a daughter Rae is going to be her middle name to honor my mom. My family is not Southern in any way. Didn't realize it was so "basic"! 

I think filler names can still also be beautiful and have lots of meaning. It varies person to person. My middle name is Elizabeth, a total “filler” name however it is also a family name that I cherish. It is my cousin who is my best friend’s name, it is my middle name, and now it is one of my daughter’s middle name. But what is a precious family name to me is also often a filler middle name for others, simply meaning that it is a common choice that flows with many first names so it gets used very often. 

Every person’s story and experience with a name is different. I say own it! Common things are beautiful too. We assign our own meaning to everything and that’s what makes it special.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I think the difference between "filler name" and meaningful name is very individual. I know a lot of people who put a great deal of thought into their children's first names, and then "oh, I guess Rose/Dawn/Lynn/Rae/Mae/Ann/Grace sounds good with that!" and it was blatantly obvious that they only wanted a one-syllable middle name so they could put something on papers since "everyone" needs a middle name. 

But then I also know people (probably including some of the people we talk about here) who use Grace because of G-d's grace. One of them even goes by her middle name Grace. Or Ann for St. Ann. Or Lynn for a beloved relative, or Rosemary giving her daughter the middle name Rose after herself.

I think there's no way to know which category Carlin is in unless she tells us why she chose that name. (And I wish she would. Names interest me, and I don't like when people just say "oh, we just loved the name!" or whatever.)

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Im from Canada (I am sure you can tell by my username ?) and I know people with the middle name Rae. Honestly I prefer Rae over Marie and Anne. No offense to those who have Marie and Anne as middle names ?

• Upvote 5

Most of Kelly's boys have names that would work for either a cowboy or a right wing Senator, and most of her girls have very cutesy names. With the exception of maybe Alyssa and Erin. And Michaela, but there's that whole crazy backstory to her name. If she gave her boys nicknames as first names like "Ricky" or "Bobby" it wouldn't bother me as much that her girls' names are so much less serious. Really BEC-ing about Kelly here, probably. That woman is odious.

The second generation seems to be continuing Kelly's naming style. Layla on it's own without the Rae is actually one of the better Bates girl names, IMO. It almost passes the Supreme Court Justice Baby Name test. Or, at least Supreme Court Justice Layla Stewart doesn't sound quite as silly as Supreme Court Justice Lexi Webster or Supreme Court Justice Kaci Bates.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Double posting because I just saw Carlin's Instagram story of Evan rubbing her feet, set to the tune of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You", and I thought everyone should have the opportunity to check it out. Because now I can't unsee it.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Double posting because I just saw Carlin's Instagram story of Evan rubbing her feet, set to the tune of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You", and I thought everyone should have the opportunity to check it out. Because now I can't unsee it.

I'm good, thanks :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 2

My middle name is Anne..spelled with an "E."  Just like that lovable gal from Prince Edward Island! :-)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

I'm posting this in Carlin's thread but it could also go in Alyssa's. When you have daughters with these "cutesy" names, sub-par educations, extreme focus on hair and makeup, horrible grammar, aspirations for marriage at 18, and toeing the poverty line, you are SO CLOSE to just being plain old "white trash." The thing that makes them seem "classy" is that they are doing it for Jesus and don't swear or do drugs or drink. Not to mention they get the TV $$.

HOWEVER, down the line, if the children become less fundie/religious, then all that is left is the "White trash" part. 

I'm just imaging Layla Rae age 19 caked in makeup with poofy blonde hair, vaping, while she fails out of beauty school . . . soon to move in with her deadbeat baby daddy . . . 

The other thing is that "white trash" are usually uneducated and still bigoted/close minded, so in that case, the loosening of the fundie grip is still pretty bad for society, not just the kids themselves. 

I don't mean to insult poor white people, I am talking about that very specific republic white trash brand that (here's the Alyssa connection) often reside in Florida lol 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

The second generation seems to be continuing Kelly's naming style

I agree that Carlin's baby name is better (to me) than all of the other granddaughters. 

Kelly has stated on the show at least twice (I haven't seen all episodes nor do I follow their 'stories' and stuff) that Gil named all the kids. If true, I doubt he chose their names without Kelly's input, and he might have even chosen all of Kelly's preferences for the girls. Because they are lying liars who lie we actually don't know anything about how any of them were named. Even Michael's name story could be a ruse. At least they didn't use a sappy theme. (Not all name themes are sappy, but the sappy ones are bad.)

• Upvote 2

Barf. Theres an instagram post where he says she wants to be carried everywhere. Seriously? Reminds me of that vampire movie with the spider-monkey scene between Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

@fluffernutter She must have gotten that from Lauren D. ?

When I hear the name Layla, all I can think is 

"Layla, you've got me on my knees
Layla, I'm begging, darling please
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind"

I wonder if Carlin/Evan know the song or even Eric Clapton?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

@NoKidsAndCounting if my husband and I have a second daughter, her middle name would be Anne for his mother...I was today years old when I realized we apparently have really basic middle name choices! fortunately i like uncommon first names (but not "tryndy madeup ones") or FJ would surely skewer my decisions ?

• Upvote 6

Pure speculation, but Carlin and/or Evan could have grown up reading Christian fiction by Patricia St. John (English missionary, iirc).  One of her characters in this book was named Layla and I could see a teenaged Carlin deciding then and there that she wanted to name a child that.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Do either Carlin or Evan work beyond the show? I notice they are on a vacation. A vacation from what, one might ask.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Do either Carlin or Evan work beyond the show? I notice they are on a vacation. A vacation from what, one might ask.

Carlin does not unless you count Baes Boutique or whatever.

Evan is in an electrician apprenticeship. According to google an apprentice electrician makes on average $18.34 per hour. 

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 1

• GreyhoundFan locked and unlocked this topic

Continued here:

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic