IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 6: Virgin Drinks and Beach Pics and Expecting

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I mean, we all knew it didn’t we? Apart from Erin and Michael my strong guess if that all married Bates daughters will wear jeans. Same goes for daughters in law. 

Jeans are kind of old new, it’s just funny to see how they show them to us earlier and earlier. 

Maybe Kelly and Gil stick to the skirts only rule just on principle. If they hadn’t made it kind of their public key features/convictions they would probably even let the girls at home wear them. I wonder if it’s intentional to not have to explain it or if they hold onto it because they don’t want to admit to themselves that it was stupid idea to begin with.

Tori doesn't wear pants either.

I knew Carlin would wear pants the minute she left the altar, she's going to lean more towards the Stewarts standards. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

I didn't doubt for a second that Carlin would wear pants the second she got married. She's even going to rock shorts like Alyssa. That yellow dress was revealing too. Nothing immodest about pants! I'm in leggings and a long button down right now, way more modest than most of the dresses being sold.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I took “please let me explain before I get stoned” in the herbal sense of the word. Needless to say I was super-disappointed to see a serving of judgment follow with zero chronic involved.

Edited by erunerune
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Tori was wearing a shirt and leggings in one of the bates insta stories from Christmas but it doesn’t seem to be a normal thing for her.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

If that lady thinks Carlin is modest, she hasn't been paying attention. Judging from the pics she posts, I also feel fairly confident in thinking that Carlin does care what others think about her, and the skirts/dresses were because of her parents only, not because she felt 'called' to a 'modest' style of dress.

But my definition of modest is probably different.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I always hold out some hope that the fundy daughters who are shirts-only really are choosing to do it, like the Seven Sisters, who co-exist with different options in the same house.  But the way the middle Bates daughters seem to happily embrace a new style as soon as they marry reminds me that despite the glossy surface, Gil and Kelly are unrelenting arseholes pushing their children into ridiculous rules just for the power trip.

Of course parents of offspring over 18 can choose to say "while you're under my roof you must do XYZ", and make it apply to the most ridiculous things, but in most households, that's because their young people have active choices - they can get jobs and move out, go away to college etc etc.  It's not necessarily a fun life, living in a nasty room in a shitty rental house, but the young person is making a decision based on options.

Not the Bates daughters, though.  For all the sons can show off their muscles, have wet t-shirt contests, get jobs in the nearest things to showbiz they can find etc etc, the daughters have the incredibly narrow options of go to Crown College and get married.  It's widely believed that Carlin left Crown to finish her degree online because Kelly needed help with the younger kids, and sure, Josie was allowed her hairdressing job, but only in narrowly defined parameters and because she was booked in to be a teenaged wife and mother already.  So not only do they happily show Katie talk abut wanting to be a nurse, but she ends up doing beauty therapy, or happily talk about what a help Carlin is around the house, so she's the one who who has to have a contextually long Courtship and Engagement, they're also being petty enough that on top of all this, the daughters aren't even allowed to wear what they like, while they're submitting. 

At this point it feels like Gil and Kelly are holding onto skirts-only as an idol, out of smugness, rather than it actually meaning anything.  If even Carlin, who Gil brags was so anxious about being saved, having rock bottom self-esteem and a major desire to do the 'right' thing and please her parents, has a pair of jeans in her drawer just waiting for her first morning of married life, then it's clear this is a rule being forced on them for no good reason than to exercise power - which is especially petty, given how few choices these young women have.

It's either that, or like the Duggars, the daughters can wear trousers at home, as long as they're not ever seen in public in them, which is just hypocritical.   Ugh, I loathe Gil and Kelly.

• Upvote 38
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I always hold out some hope that the fundy daughters who are shirts-only really are choosing to do it

Shirts only is not really modest, even in my standards. ?

• Haha 46
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Tori was wearing a shirt and leggings in one of the bates insta stories from Christmas but it doesn’t seem to be a normal thing for her.

Kelly stated that Tori was wearing a skirt over the leggings that was bunched up in the video.

I wonder if wearing pants has become like a right of passage in the Bates home. Like turning 18 for most families. 

I think it's interesting that Tori doesn't wear pants. I don't think Bobby cares so it's a choice that Tori is (likely) making on her own.

Edited by Kelsey
add more thoughts
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Looks like the plans they had to live in Nashville changed. From batesfamilyblog:

"They have a house, which they were working on before the wedding, waiting for them in East Tennessee. We know you're probably wondering what happened to their plans to live in the Nashville area. Well, their plans changed, and they will now be living closer to Carlin's family. You can imagine how thrilled Kelly Bates is to have so many of her children nearby."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

I would have bet $1000 Carlin had a full wardrobe for her honeymoon well in advance. Actually, I'd suspect they all did. Keep in mind though that most of them had a full range of clothing that didn't necessarily meet their modesty standards, they just added things (like a cardigan, shirt, etc) to make them fit. I'm sure she had plenty of sleeveless dresses and shirts all ready - all she had to do was leave the cardigan at home. As for the jeans I'm sure she had already shopped for them and had them on hand just waiting.

What is most ridiculous is I feel like Gil and Kelly really don't even care about pants anymore but they've made it part of their calling card that they can't go back now or they'd look hypocritical. Which is totally silly because they've already completely bended on their "courtship model" which only helped make them more mainstream and relatable. I think that's very much the reason we tend to see more of them going the pants route. It's still a rule for those living at home because they are under their parents rules but I think the married ones know it's not a big deal - hence the reason why Carlin didn't even give it a grace period. She was in jeans en route to her honeymoon. 

The Duggars are going to be totally different though because they made a HUGE deal about modesty and skirts. In the early years it was basically a topic in every episode and it's been ingrained in those girls that it's their brand. Far more than the Bates family. As of now we really only see Jinger & Jill in pants. We've seen a few shots here and there from others but not much. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

At this point I think betrothed Duggar ladies are going out jeans shopping with their friends while pretending to Kelly that they just went out for coffee or pedicures. Its become part of the wedding prep, like showers and dress fittings.

Or, to avoid being seen, Carlin ordered a bunch of jeans online, had them shipped to Zach and Whitney's, and tried them on there while pretending to babysit or do wedding prep.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Whit could have easily taken Carlin jeans shopping while they were spending a day together doing stuff for their boutique.  

• Upvote 9

57 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I would have bet $1000 Carlin had a full wardrobe for her honeymoon well in advance. Actually, I'd suspect they all did. Keep in mind though that most of them had a full range of clothing that didn't necessarily meet their modesty standards, they just added things (like a cardigan, shirt, etc) to make them fit. I'm sure she had plenty of sleeveless dresses and shirts all ready - all she had to do was leave the cardigan at home. As for the jeans I'm sure she had already shopped for them and had them on hand just waiting.

What is most ridiculous is I feel like Gil and Kelly really don't even care about pants anymore but they've made it part of their calling card that they can't go back now or they'd look hypocritical. Which is totally silly because they've already completely bended on their "courtship model" which only helped make them more mainstream and relatable. I think that's very much the reason we tend to see more of them going the pants route. It's still a rule for those living at home because they are under their parents rules but I think the married ones know it's not a big deal - hence the reason why Carlin didn't even give it a grace period. She was in jeans en route to her honeymoon. 

The Duggars are going to be totally different though because they made a HUGE deal about modesty and skirts. In the early years it was basically a topic in every episode and it's been ingrained in those girls that it's their brand. Far more than the Bates family. As of now we really only see Jinger & Jill in pants. We've seen a few shots here and there from others but not much. 

But with the Duggars, the only other married daughters are Joy and Jessa. The married Bates daughters that still wear skirts are Michael, Erin, and Tori. They have three married daughters who wear jeans and three married daughters who wear skirts. The Duggars have 2 married daughters who wear pants and 2 who wear skirts. It’s split evenly in each family so far. 

• Upvote 21

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

At this point I think betrothed Duggar ladies are going out jeans shopping with their friends while pretending to Kelly that they just went out for coffee or pedicures. Its become part of the wedding prep, like showers and dress fittings.

Or, to avoid being seen, Carlin ordered a bunch of jeans online, had them shipped to Zach and Whitney's, and tried them on there while pretending to babysit or do wedding prep.

I don’t even think they hide it from their parents. Kelly and Gil probably don’t care if their married daughters wear jeans anymore and, like I and others assume, only hold onto the rule at home for convenience. 

I am sure the pants are in their drawer till they go in their moving out suitcase. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Kelly accompanies them or gets to see the purchase before the wedding.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, llucie said:

Looks like the plans they had to live in Nashville changed. From batesfamilyblog:

"They have a house, which they were working on before the wedding, waiting for them in East Tennessee. We know you're probably wondering what happened to their plans to live in the Nashville area. Well, their plans changed, and they will now be living closer to Carlin's family. You can imagine how thrilled Kelly Bates is to have so many of her forced laborers nearby."

Fixed that for them. Must be nice for Kelly. She can continue not actually raising her own kids while pretending she is thanks to all those daughters moving back to the area. I definitely think Alyssa had the right idea - marry a guy firmly rooted in a different state who isn’t likely to move closer to her family anytime soon.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Fixed that for them. Must be nice for Kelly. She can continue not actually raising her own kids while pretending she is thanks to all those daughters moving back to the area. I definitely think Alyssa had the right idea - marry a guy firmly rooted in a different state who isn’t likely to move closer to her family anytime soon.

AND she lives in Florida! All the Bateses seem to love to visit her. 

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, llucie said:

"They have a house, which they were working on before the wedding, waiting for them in East Tennessee. We know you're probably wondering what happened to their plans to live in the Nashville area. Well, their plans changed, and they will now be living closer to Carlin's family. You can imagine how thrilled Kelly Bates is to have so many of her children nearby."

Can I just say that everyone simultaneously uprooting themselves to be near the Bates compound screams "Gil and Kelly power move" to me? What's going on here?

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Can I just say that everyone simultaneously uprooting themselves to be near the Bates compound screams "Gil and Kelly power move" to me? What's going on here?

My conspiracy theory: Gil took over the IBLP completely and is now cult leader. He needs the manpower and therefore actually employs his sons in law.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I think Carlin is a bit like Erin.  Evan may be her "headship", but Carlin's got more control. She probably decided they needed to be closer for the boutique and the show, and that he can get a job as an electrician anywhere, so he said yes because it will make her happy.

I do think it makes sense Michael and Brandon moving to Tennessee because schooling is cheaper, and Tori and Bobby moving back for work (it's not like they had family or other connections to that part of Tennessee anyhow). 

I am wondering however if they are all getting some additional/bonus Up income by moving closer though. It may be enough of an incentive to move closer. Maybe it's enough to cover rent or living expenses, so any work the guys do/boutique makes/Instagram means they live very comfortably.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, 19tacos&counting said:

I like how she says “ I am so sad you are wearing jeans.....let me explain myself before I get stoned.” .....which I assumed she would go on to say anything surprising or different than exactly what she said? 

37716B93-5791-4A36-A297-707FDB402654.png

And I love how she says she’s not judging when she clearly is. ?

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, Lurky said:

I always hold out some hope that the fundy daughters who are shirts-only really are choosing to do it, like the Seven Sisters, who co-exist with different options in the same house.  But the way the middle Bates daughters seem to happily embrace a new style as soon as they marry reminds me that despite the glossy surface, Gil and Kelly are unrelenting arseholes pushing their children into ridiculous rules just for the power trip.

Of course parents of offspring over 18 can choose to say "while you're under my roof you must do XYZ", and make it apply to the most ridiculous things, but in most households, that's because their young people have active choices - they can get jobs and move out, go away to college etc etc.  It's not necessarily a fun life, living in a nasty room in a shitty rental house, but the young person is making a decision based on options.

Not the Bates daughters, though.  For all the sons can show off their muscles, have wet t-shirt contests, get jobs in the nearest things to showbiz they can find etc etc, the daughters have the incredibly narrow options of go to Crown College and get married.  It's widely believed that Carlin left Crown to finish her degree online because Kelly needed help with the younger kids, and sure, Josie was allowed her hairdressing job, but only in narrowly defined parameters and because she was booked in to be a teenaged wife and mother already.  So not only do they happily show Katie talk abut wanting to be a nurse, but she ends up doing beauty therapy, or happily talk about what a help Carlin is around the house, so she's the one who who has to have a contextually long Courtship and Engagement, they're also being petty enough that on top of all this, the daughters aren't even allowed to wear what they like, while they're submitting. 

At this point it feels like Gil and Kelly are holding onto skirts-only as an idol, out of smugness, rather than it actually meaning anything.  If even Carlin, who Gil brags was so anxious about being saved, having rock bottom self-esteem and a major desire to do the 'right' thing and please her parents, has a pair of jeans in her drawer just waiting for her first morning of married life, then it's clear this is a rule being forced on them for no good reason than to exercise power - which is especially petty, given how few choices these young women have.

It's either that, or like the Duggars, the daughters can wear trousers at home, as long as they're not ever seen in public in them, which is just hypocritical.   Ugh, I loathe Gil and Kelly.

I knew I loved you.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 6/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

Tori doesn't wear pants either.

I knew Carlin would wear pants the minute she left the altar, she's going to lean more towards the Stewarts standards. 

She was wearing matching jammie pants in pictures with Evan's family on Christmas morning. Guessing one of her deal breakers with Evan would have been him insisting on modest clothing. There was also a picture from last summer where she was clearly in a bikini but with a sundress over it.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I can not imagine Evan insisting on Carlin wearing modest clothing. He seems like Jeremy, he wants a pretty dressed up little trophy wife in his arm. Plus Evans sisters/family are not pants only. She seems to go with Kelly, Whitney, Erin, in that while the man might be the “head” of the family, the women is the neck, controlling where he turns. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, VelociRapture said:

Alyssa did and the only thing I liked about the girls each marrying was they each moved away from Kelly and Gil. Michael to Chicago, Tori, Josie and Carlin to Nashville depriving them of their help. Now their all moving back except Alyssa and Josie unless I missed it. It really sucks. I have no doubt they'll be back to helping take care of their siblings or have them foisted on them.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Alyssa did and the only thing I liked about the girls each marrying was they each moved away from Kelly and Gil. Michael to Chicago, Tori, Josie and Carlin to Nashville depriving them of their help. Now their all moving back except Alyssa and Josie unless I missed it. It really sucks. I have no doubt they'll be back to helping take care of their siblings or have them foisted on them.

I do wonder why they move back. In their world it’s the husbands decision so it’s surprising that three couples return home just in time for Kelly running out of help + Erin probably requesting it. Maybe Bobby and Evan  realised that the babies might be coming to no end and made sure to have babysitters around. Additionally enough people for the women to socialise with (apart from Nashville heathens). It looks like a clever but weak move. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked, unlocked and locked this topic