IGNORED

Seewalds 41: Christian Hero Ivy Jane

Georgiana

Great I just got "SIX" Out of my head (A new Musical from the UK based on Henry VIII wive's) 

Also, the bows and ruffles will probably go out the window as Ivy ages. 

• Upvote 3

It’s a given she will be dressed very cutely and her hair will always be done cutely and she will be described as cute and sweet. All Those aunts we’ll make sure there are bows and frills  On her Anytime they get a chance.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Great I just got "SIX" Out of my head (A new Musical from the UK based on Henry VIII wive's) 

Also, the bows and ruffles will probably go out the window as Ivy ages. 

I am seeing Six on Wednesday! Did you enjoy it?

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Except in the video she said she was really looking forward to the pink, the bows, the lace, all the girly stuff. 

I didn't see that because it isn't available in Scotland

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree that this is also in mainstream culture. I have boys and people have learned very quickly I will NEVER be “trying for a girl.” I think it’s incredibly weird that people seem to be obsessed with having at least one child of each sex in every family. I never had a strong urge to have a family with one boy and one girl (which is called the million dollar family by the way. Vomit).

Or a “pigeon pair” (double vomit). After I had my first daughter, I had so many “aren’t you clever?” (Uhh that’s not how it works) and “oh you’ve got one of each, are you going to stop now?” comments. I’d always answer “the size of my family was NEVER going to be dependent on what’s between my kids’ legs”. And I was fiercely defensive of the imaginary son I could have had that people obviously would have found disappointing.

My MIL was the worst. We didn’t find out the sex before birth, hence, we were unable to tell anyone else the sex before the baby was born. When I was about halfway through, she bought us some presents “for the baby” most of which were pink and purple ruffled clothes and skirts. I kind of wanted to have another boy just so I could dress him in those outfits every time she came to visit (she’s also the one who objected to my son having dolls “are you trying to turn him gay?”).

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And so Parliament finally dug up some Protestant Germans with practically no royal or English pedigree at all.  The ones who are now the House of Windsor. 

Not to be a history snob, but they did have a decent connection to the British throne. James I had a daughter named Elizabeth, who married Frederick of Bohemia. They're known as the Winter King and Queen because they only ruled in Bohemia for a short time. They had a few kids, including a daughter, Sophia, who married the Elector of Hanover. When Queen Anne and her Parliament got together to figure out the succession, they settled on Sophia and her family as the closest Protestant heirs. Sophia actually just missed inheriting the throne herself--she died a couple of months before Queen Anne. So her son, George, who was Queen Anne's second cousin, became George I of the House of Hanover. (And Hanover is really technically still what the royal family's house is today--King Edward VII took his father's last name and ruled as a member of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha but that was too German for the anti-German English during WWI, so it got changed to the House of Windsor by his son George V, but like......they're still pretty much Hanovers lol.)

Also, for Jane Grey--another funny thing about her is that John Dudley married his son to her in the expectation that his son would become King of England. But Jane refused to name Guildford king or give him any powers, instead offering him a dukedom. "Properly submissive" she was not.

• Upvote 26
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

So the boys got Christian hero surnames in their names while Ivy got the first name and not Gray. Wionder if it becomes a trend.

They should have really named her Grey Ivy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

I actually really like Ivy Grey ?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

6 hours ago, yeahtotally said:

I am seeing Six on Wednesday! Did you enjoy it?

Oh I'm Just addicted to the soundtrack.

I'm Imagining the reactions the Duggars would have to it. Especially "All You Wanna Do"?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Smee said:

Or a “pigeon pair” (double vomit). After I had my first daughter, I had so many “aren’t you clever?” (Uhh that’s not how it works) and “oh you’ve got one of each, are you going to stop now?” comments. I’d always answer “the size of my family was NEVER going to be dependent on what’s between my kids’ legs”. And I was fiercely defensive of the imaginary son I could have had that people obviously would have found disappointing.

My MIL was the worst. We didn’t find out the sex before birth, hence, we were unable to tell anyone else the sex before the baby was born. When I was about halfway through, she bought us some presents “for the baby” most of which were pink and purple ruffled clothes and skirts. I kind of wanted to have another boy just so I could dress him in those outfits every time she came to visit (she’s also the one who objected to my son having dolls “are you trying to turn him gay?”).

Oh I got extremely ruffle covered and pink gifts when I was pregnant with my second and I didn’t know the sex before birth. I had a boy. I immediately gave those gifts away. 

• Upvote 4

When I was pregnant the 1st time I wanted a girl, I had a boy. And when I was pregnant the 2nd time, I wanted another boy, I had a girl. I have that "million dollar family" I actually had someone say this to me, a gal I was working with was pregnant with #4 and was happy to report that they were FINALLY having a girl, so she could stop having kids.  :wtf:

I've also never gotten the desire to have kids until you got a girl (or boy) While I'll agree that I have a million dollar family, I'd like to think I'd say this if I'd had 2 boys or 2 girls, because my little family just rocks. 

My friend that is due next month is having a girl, she's an older mom (40) who had 12 years of infertility before having her son 3 years ago.  She is NOT a girly girl, she is a dig in and do it woman, she can fix plumbing, cars, electrical wiring, and hair (she's my hairstylist) her baby shower invites said PLEASE take it easy on the pink and ruffles.  I found the cutest baby punk out fit, and little Doc Martins. She loved it. 

Spoiler

15933003.thumb.jpg.e6d3d3b6a7cbe10e975fae108dc7d3d0.jpgand-roses-baby-dress-alternative-goth-punk-rock-metal-clothes-89368.jpg.74dd57aeae0cfdffe58b6404cd7494cb.jpg

• Upvote 13
  • Love 12

5 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Gravy?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 28
  • I Agree 1

My son and DiL are currently expecting my first grandbaby (a girl) in August.   I will not lie, I *really* wanted the baby to be a girl because it's more fun to crochet for a girl, IMO.  I had almost no boy patterns in my collection because friends that I've made stuff for have mostly had girls.   I did find a few cute patterns on etsy so I knew I could make stuff for a boy if they had one (or have one in the future).

My DiL's mother is....difficult.  She does things my kids hate, knowing they hate it.  She says if they do x, she will do y.  They have already decided she won't be babysitting EVER.   She and one of the DiL's sisters call the baby "my baby."  When my son told me about that I was like well that's kind of weird.  It'd be different if the baby was here, maybe.  

I can see when she's here saying stuff like how is my <insert nickname here> or things like that, but not "my baby."

I try pretty hard to be the opposite of her, which hasn't turned out to be very hard ;)   When my son told her I was making baby blankets for the baby she asked why.  When my son said "because she wants to?" she said but why?  my mother can make the baby blankets.   My son said I didn't realize it was a competition.  I said Well it is NOW!  ;)    Recently my son told me that she/her mother weren't making anything handmade for the baby because I was.   I thought great so I'm the best Nana already woo!

They weren't going to tell her the baby's sex when they found out because my son said "we don't want a houseful of pink."  Before we knew the sex I made/bought things that were greens/yellows and some earth tones that could be used with either.  Now that we know I have done a few things in pinks and a lot of purples (because I love purple), but this year there are some really gorgeous earth tones in yarn so when I make something that is unisex I have been using mainly those so they can use them with another baby should they have one.

The only downside is that I truly HATE the first name they have picked.  I love the middle name, though.   I had gently suggested some alternative names early on, but now I'm pretty resigned that it will be the name I hate and I'm just trying to get used to it.    They had another girl name really early on, but DiL's mother didn't like it so told them if you call the baby x I will call her y (y being a totally unrelated name, not even a shortened form of the name they picked). 

This is a dress I made that has pinks and is girly, but isn't overwhelming.

pink.black.dress.jpg

• Upvote 24
  • Love 12

6 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

I'm hoping this is an intentional reference to Beyoncé's kid. I'm here for it.

When I was having my first baby two of my good friends were also pregnant at the same time. We all had girls within an 8 week period. Two of us had our second baby last year and the third friend is expecting her second child now- they both had/ are having boys while I have two girls. A mutual friend asked if that made me want a boy- I told her I already hit the jackpot twice with my girls, I'm good. People actually seem to ask my husband if he wants a son more than they ask me, but he's actually more done having kids than I am! He gets pretty bad anxiety and worries about me and the health of our unborn child throughout my pregnancies and it was worse the second time around so mentally he is completely over the whole pregnancy journey which is fine by me!

Funny enough, I've had two friends (both of whom have multiple kids but only one girl) say that seeing my kids makes them wish their daughters had a sister. I've found that people can find any reason to be disappointed regardless of family make up. I'm just happy with my two healthy amazing kids.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

It is ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

And like others have said they might have just liked the name Jane and then been really reaching to find a Christian hero who also had that name to back it up.

I definitely think they leaned towards it because they liked the sound of the name rather than the story, but I will say as soon as I heard her middle name, I thought of Lady Jane Grey. I know of several hardcore Protestants who really like her. 

They do have some decent options for nice female names with a Protestant heroine link. Katherine (von Bora). Evangeline (Booth). Florence (Nightingale). Ruth (Graham).

If they'd stayed with the last name as a first name thing, imho, a girl named Crosby (Fanny Crosby) sounds awesome. 

I genuinely was worried that Ben was gonna name this kid "ten Boom."

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Curious said:

My son and DiL are currently expecting my first grandbaby (a girl) in August.   I will not lie, I *really* wanted the baby to be a girl because it's more fun to crochet for a girl, IMO.  I had almost no boy patterns in my collection because friends that I've made stuff for have mostly had girls.   I did find a few cute patterns on etsy so I knew I could make stuff for a boy if they had one (or have one in the future).

My DiL's mother is....difficult.  She does things my kids hate, knowing they hate it.  She says if they do x, she will do y.  They have already decided she won't be babysitting EVER.   She and one of the DiL's sisters call the baby "my baby."  When my son told me about that I was like well that's kind of weird.  It'd be different if the baby was here, maybe.  

I can see when she's here saying stuff like how is my <insert nickname here> or things like that, but not "my baby."

I try pretty hard to be the opposite of her, which hasn't turned out to be very hard ;)   When my son told her I was making baby blankets for the baby she asked why.  When my son said "because she wants to?" she said but why?  my mother can make the baby blankets.   My son said I didn't realize it was a competition.  I said Well it is NOW!  ;)    Recently my son told me that she/her mother weren't making anything handmade for the baby because I was.   I thought great so I'm the best Nana already woo!

They weren't going to tell her the baby's sex when they found out because my son said "we don't want a houseful of pink."  Before we knew the sex I made/bought things that were greens/yellows and some earth tones that could be used with either.  Now that we know I have done a few things in pinks and a lot of purples (because I love purple), but this year there are some really gorgeous earth tones in yarn so when I make something that is unisex I have been using mainly those so they can use them with another baby should they have one.

The only downside is that I truly HATE the first name they have picked.  I love the middle name, though.   I had gently suggested some alternative names early on, but now I'm pretty resigned that it will be the name I hate and I'm just trying to get used to it.    They had another girl name really early on, but DiL's mother didn't like it so told them if you call the baby x I will call her y (y being a totally unrelated name, not even a shortened form of the name they picked). 

This is a dress I made that has pinks and is girly, but isn't overwhelming.

pink.black.dress.jpg

I love unisex baby clothes. You know what’s most awesome about them in my opinion? Even if you have a girl, then a boy, then a girl, then a boy, they can all wear that same cute unisex outfit! I know moms of kids with different sexes that love that there are a few outfits they put on all their children and took pictures of all of them in that particular unisex outfit. It’s really cute to compare all their baby pictures in that same outfit. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love unisex baby clothes. You know what’s most awesome about them in my opinion? Even if you have a girl, then a boy, then a girl, then a boy, they can all wear that same cute unisex outfit! I know moms of kids with different sexes that love that there are a few outfits they put on all their children and took pictures of all of them in that particular unisex outfit. It’s really cute to compare all their baby pictures in that same outfit. 

I like that idea as well.   My son was not sure about having kids or at least bio kids (unfortunately, he's inherited the zebra gene from me and already has some health issues, including a horrible spine :( ), but he's already thinking ahead to if they have another child, which really surprised me.  I'd love them to be able to use blankets and clothes I made with any children they have no matter the sex.

Here is one of the unisex romper/onsies I made before we knew it was a girl.

romper1.jpg

• Upvote 13
  • Love 12

Ben's comment about holding her for the first time and suddenly envisioning walking her down the aisle struck me as odd.

As I consider it, what other father/daughter moments could they look forward to? I know in fundie circles girls are raised to keep their future husbands in mind, but is getting his daughter hitched really the first thing he thought of when she was JUST BORN? 

Also, Jessa added "in 20 years..." when he said that. Found that bit interesting too - not 18, 20.

• Upvote 13

My kids' birthdays are just 2 days apart but I couldn't dress them in the same seasonally appropriate outfits for too long because #2 is growing exponentially compared to #1. I did wrap them both up in my baby blanket from when I was little to take their pictures, and a couple of other matching outfit pictures.

I wore a lot of my older brother's hand me downs when I was a kid. Jeans, plaid shirts, overalls. Loved it. I guess pigs will fly before we see little Ivy Jane in a pair of Spurgie's Osh-Kosh hand me downs.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Boogers said:

Ben's comment about holding her for the first time and suddenly envisioning walking her down the aisle struck me as odd.

As I consider it, what other father/daughter moments could they look forward to? I know in fundie circles girls are raised to keep their future husbands in mind, but is getting his daughter hitched really the first thing he thought of when she was JUST BORN? 

Also, Jessa added "in 20 years..." when he said that. Found that bit interesting too - not 18, 20.

It actually kind of bugs me that they said that. I know, I know. Fundies gonna Fundie. But I have a daughter and my husband and I always make a point to say “if” she gets married or has children, not “when.” Don’t get me wrong, being married and having kids is something we both really enjoy a great deal and we’d be thrilled if we eventually have grandkids one day... but we want our kids to live the life they want to live, not the life we’ve predetermined is the only option for them. It just really rubs me the wrong way. 

45 minutes ago, Curious said:

I like that idea as well.   My son was not sure about having kids or at least bio kids (unfortunately, he's inherited the zebra gene from me and already has some health issues, including a horrible spine :( ), but he's already thinking ahead to if they have another child, which really surprised me.  I'd love them to be able to use blankets and clothes I made with any children they have no matter the sex.

Here is one of the unisex romper/onsies I made before we knew it was a girl.

romper1.jpg

Aw!!! Grandbaby Curious is going to look so adorable in those clothes!

(And an early congratulations Grandma!!!) 

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

When I was having my first baby two of my good friends were also pregnant at the same time. We all had girls within an 8 week period. Two of us had our second baby last year and the third friend is expecting her second child now- they both had/ are having boys while I have two girls. A mutual friend asked if that made me want a boy- I told her I already hit the jackpot twice with my girls, I'm good. People actually seem to ask my husband if he wants a son more than they ask me, but he's actually more done having kids than I am! He gets pretty bad anxiety and worries about me and the health of our unborn child throughout my pregnancies and it was worse the second time around so mentally he is completely over the whole pregnancy journey which is fine by me!

Funny enough, I've had two friends (both of whom have multiple kids but only one girl) say that seeing my kids makes them wish their daughters had a sister. I've found that people can find any reason to be disappointed regardless of family make up. I'm just happy with my two healthy amazing kids.

I think your husband is the male version of me. I honestly turned to my husband immediately after my first ultrasound this time was over and flat out told him I wasn’t doing this again. Thankfully my husband was on the same page as me and had a good laugh as he agreed. I’m excited to be a mom of two this fall, but the stress is bad enough for me to have no interest in having more after this one. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

It bothers me too. He may not have intended it but he basically said “I can’t wait to give my daughter away.” Ugh. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Boogers said:

Jim Bob said that when Josie was born too. It’s odd considering that they’re fine with teen marriages and with remaining single. Maybe it was the time frame they had in mind back before anyone got married.

• Upvote 2

• Blahblah locked this topic