IGNORED

Seewalds 41: Christian Hero Ivy Jane

Georgiana

I see she, like Felicity, has the “oversized bow obscuring half her face” look down pat. Can’t forget she’s a GIRL with a vagina underneath that nappy.

• Upvote 14

Guilty confession: if I had a daughter I would buy bows like that. I think they’re adorable.

I only had sons and they were allowed to wear whatever they wanted (including pink clothing they selected from the ‘girl’ section in shops), they played with barbies and had dolls etc - we weren’t big on gender stereotypes ... but bows would be my weakness if I had a girl. Not because I would need to prove the existence of a vagina on my child but because I think they’re cute.

In the mid 80s I pestered my parents to buy every single damn Fergie bows I could find in the shops. And I still buy Kate Spade bow accessories for myself. 

I wear this belt to work at least once a week, it’s one of my favourites. 

https://www.review-australia.com/au/tie-my-bow-belt-3/RE17ACC057.REBLK048.html

Give me all the bows.

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Hot damn that's an expensive little sleeper! It's cute but good lord I consider over 12$ a lot for a baby outfit. 

Me too since they won’t be worn many times. Of course, Jessa may be considering the cost spread out over several babies. 

Edited by Purrl
  • Upvote 6

On 6/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Curious I wish I could crochet as good as this.  I've been "crocheting" for about 3 years and I still suck, I can't do patterns at all, I can do basic SC & DC stitches on scarves and blankets. I'm making a baby blanket for my step sister and I'm going to a friends house so she can either show me how to do a trim or do it for me. I have 3 weeks to finish the blanket so she may just have to do it for me as she can bang out a baby blanket with cute little designs in a day, or just a plain blanket in about 3 hours, she's super fast and good. 

I've also been trying to teach myself how to knit but damn I can't get the hang of it.   

The cat blanket was only hard because it required counting.  Not gonna lie, I am normally a very lazy crocheter.  I pick a pattern I like (I have about 3 "go to" ones that I have memorized) and go with that.   They are pretty, IMO, but not at all complicated and I have muscle memory for those patterns that I can pretty much pay no attention to and will realize when I've made a mistake and can go back and fix it within a couple of stitches.    I've been crocheting since I was about 7 and had my mom for help until I was estranged from her in my mid-20s.

Here are some close-ups of blankets I have made in the last few years

Spoiler

frolic-blanket-detail.jpgblanket-closeup.jpgblanket.jpggtoddlerblanketcloseup2.jpgprimarystripescloseup.jpgrachelbd3.jpgskylablanketcloseup.jpg

I can't knit to save my life, but I have started trying again.   My grandma was the knitter and she passed when I was 15 and was not really healthy enough/cognizant enough to help for probably 3 years prior to that.   I never learned to cast on, pick up stitches or cast off because she always did that for me, so I haven't knit in decades.   There are SO many cute baby things that are knit that I have felt compelled to try again.

This was my 3rd try at a hat that is just a simple knit stitch.   I wish I would have put a crocheted border on the bottom so it looked more finished, but I was happy I finally made a passable one.knit.hat.1.jpg

Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning new crafty stuff.   There are a few channels that I really love.  Some of them do an entire pattern step by step in the video and you can always pause and rewind if you don't quite get it the first time.   I personally prefer to read a pattern (not the ones that are just symbols but written out), but I bought a pattern off Etsy that I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and the merchant offered a video of the whole pattern for free (which I wish I would have known before I purchased the pattern TBH), but I was able to use the video in the few spots where the written directions weren't making sense to me and finish the romper.

A few channels that I really like are:

Crochet Crowd: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbbBdiTKMCx5VII4IKDU7A

Melanie Ham: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXrEE1TyCslZgsH1Pql51-Q

Wooly Wonders: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyToSTyaK64TeKwkST6a7AQ

Yay for Yarn (knitting): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMCrgBpQFb-b0n4W5Xf7ILg

RJ Knits (a man teaching knitting!!!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkg45GHzMdEBXl8BA8FtPpw

If you do a search on youtube for what you want to do (like learn to knit or beginner knitting) you will come up with a ton of different channels.  I just watch a few of them to find one that I "click" with and go from there.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yes! That was the book! I consider myself lucky that that was my introduction to the Tudors because it gave me a more sympathetic lens to view Mary I through that other people don’t seem to have. It seems that a lot of people like to ignore the legitimate traumas she experienced throughout her life in favor of viewing her as a one-dimensional villain. She absolutely deserves criticism fir the horrible things she did as Queen, but she was also a complex person and she wasn’t an evil human being. She didn’t deserve a lot of what she experienced and I don’t think history has been entirely fair to her at times either - but history if written by the winners and the Protestants were triumphant in England after her reign ended. 

No, it really hasn't. Its too bad. Her story is just as exciting as Elizabeth's but more heartbreaking. It is unfortunate that its not told as much. I read other books on Tudors before reading that one and held the more negative view. But that book showed how hard she had it once Henry decided to divorce Katherine. I really never considered it because I never heard another side or version. It changed my opinion of her. I still hate what she ended up doing later with the persecutions and putting Elizabeth in the tower. Tudor history is so full of complex and interesting women. All Six Wives are fascinating and interesting. So are Mary, Elizabeth, and Jane Grey. Henry's sisters Margaret and Mary. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/5/2019 at 10:30 AM, Meggo said:

Mom of a NICU baby here!! We didn't get any blankies from the NICU (except the super awesome flannel ones I stole) but we STILL have the teeny little green hat someone crocheted for him and he was wearing on his first St. Patty's Day! 

Thanks for all you do for NICU babes!

The first few years I donated I only made hats.   I had wanted to donate for a while but had never gotten around to it.   I don't remember what the thread was, but somewhere on FJ is the thread/posts that spurned me into action.   That first year this is what my donation looked like:

hatsgroup.jpg

I can't recall how many hats there were, but the next time I donated (about 2 years later) I made 50.  Now I also make blankets, cocoons, booties, anti-scratch mittens and hats.    I just wait until I have a fair amount of stuff made and then donate, so sometimes it's every year and other times there maybe be a couple of years in between.  It just depends on how much I am crocheting.

I, too, was a NICU mom (and twice a PICU mom) and while I didn't receive anything from the hospital like that, I know how much it would have meant to me, especially if things didn't have a happy ending.   I appreciated all the work the nurses did and how much they encouraged us to spend time and later feed, bathe and care for our baby as much as we were able to

• Upvote 3
  • Love 22

Those bows are so ugly. Why are they on her head? Poor baby. Hope that "weird giant bow headwrap" fashion trend dies out soon. 

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

This.

Earlier today I was commenting to someone (having a garage sale) about how you all have taught me how it's not that hard to find decent or barely used good baby clothes. And really easy for someone of Jessa's thrifting skills.

However. She "did just have a girl" No matter what she says she's not a pink lace type. Perhaps this is her  idea of "new girl mommy" indulgence.

We plan to reuse our daughter’s clothes and use hand-me-downs from my nephews once this new baby arrives in the fall. That said, I still plan to buy a few little things new, mostly for special occasions (like a special onesie with their name when they’re born or holidays.) Maybe that’s what Benessa are planning to do a bit. It’s not like they lack hand-me-down opportunities from JinJer or the Smuggars, though I’d bet on JinJer since it’d save them on space when they move to LA.

• Upvote 7

I always make this recommendation to people with kids. It will probably be hard to find “everyday pants” like sweat pants, joggers, or athletic pants for your little boys. They are usually worn a lot and never make it to donation. There are holes and stains and rips galore. So if you are looking for that type of clothing at goodwill, you may not have much luck. But you will find lots of shorts at goodwill. Because little boys can’t blow out the knees of shorts. There are none! so look for your summer shorts are goodwill or any other thrift store you frequent. You’ll likely find quite a few for cheap. 

My next recommendation is to always look for “dressy clothing” for your sons at goodwill/thrift stores. This is because people only make their kids wear nice clothing a few times. They aren’t everyday clothes. And often there are rules attached to those clothes. Like don’t play in the mud or paint with those nice clothes on. The dressy clothes are often in good shape at thrift stores because of this. I buy most of my children's “Nice clothing” second hand. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Hot damn that's an expensive little sleeper! It's cute but good lord I consider over 12$ a lot for a baby outfit. 

I looked them up, thinking that must be for a 3-pack or something.   It's not.  They're a bamboo blend.  Not sure what's so great about that.  I guess if you plan to have eleventy kids it's an investment.  If not, that's way too much to spend on something that is going to fit for about 5 minutes.

• I Agree 11

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always make this recommendation to people with kids. It will probably be hard to find “everyday pants” like sweat pants, joggers, or athletic pants for your little boys. They are usually worn a lot and never make it to donation. There are holes and stains and rips galore. So if you are looking for that type of clothing at goodwill, you may not have much luck. But you will find lots of shorts at goodwill. Because little boys can’t blow out the knees of shorts. There are none! so look for your summer shorts are goodwill or any other thrift store you frequent. You’ll likely find quite a few for cheap. 

My next recommendation is to always look for “dressy clothing” for your sons at goodwill/thrift stores. This is because people only make their kids wear nice clothing a few times. They aren’t everyday clothes. And often there are rules attached to those clothes. Like don’t play in the mud or paint with those nice clothes on. The dressy clothes are often in good shape at thrift stores because of this. I buy most of my children's “Nice clothing” second hand. 

I am blessed to have a family member with a daughter a little older than mine, so I have not needed to buy clothing for her. She actually has too many clothes. 

It is not just boys that are harsh on pants. Since she has so many, I don't worry about it too much except for telling her to change out of nicer clothing before she plays outside. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

I am blessed to have a family member with a daughter a little older than mine, so I have not needed to buy clothing for her. She actually has too many clothes. 

It is not just boys that are harsh on pants. Since she has so many, I don't worry about it too much except for telling her to change out of nicer clothing before she plays outside. 

I only have boys so that’s all I really know about. But leggings are so thin that I imagine holes happen in the knees of leggings all the time. 

• Upvote 9

The more expensive clothes that I/family buy for my children seem to be the ones that wear out the fastest. My husband's sister is always getting my daughter Kate Spade and mini Boden outfits that get snags and rips in them after a couple of wears, whereas she has Old Navy and Cat and Jack outfits that could withstand the apocalypse. She'll barrel roll down the little slope behind our house ten times in a row and those cheap clothes will be no worse for wear.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I only have boys so that’s all I really know about. But leggings are so thin that I imagine holes happen in the knees of leggings all the time. 

I can attest to this. My daughter has 4 pairs of black leggings. Not one without holes. It's like she walks on her knees. Sometimes they only last a few wears without damage. I make her wear they holey leggings on gym days. ? 

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I can attest to this. My daughter has 4 pairs of black leggings. Not one without holes. It's like she walks on her knees. Sometimes they only last a few wears without damage. I make her wear they hokey leggings on gym days. ? 

They are on their knees so much! Even in kindergarten they sit on the rug a lot and they all are on their knees for much of it. And then on the playground they are playing and getting on their knees. That really kills the material. Joggers only last three months at the most. My boys refuse to wear jeans. I know they would last longer. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Serious question for those of you who think the bows are cute: if it's just that they're cute on a baby, why not put them on your boy babies if you like them? Boy babies and girl babies look exactly the same, so what's the difference? 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Was it a biography or the one by Carolyn Meyer? *snip*

It was the one by Carolyn Meyer,  I don’t even remember the book that well but when I looked it up and saw that it was aimed at a younger audience the name of it just sounded so familiar I knew I had read it!  One of my favorite things about reading historical fiction about actual historical figures is reading different books that have different perspectives on the same people,  and imagine different motivations for their behaviors.  I would strongly recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George (or really anything by her, she also has a fabulous book about Mary Queen of Scots.)

Edited by Kayleigh83
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Serious question for those of you who think the bows are cute: if it's just that they're cute on a baby, why not put them on your boy babies if you like them? Boy babies and girl babies look exactly the same, so what's the difference? 

I like, don't love, bows.

Now as far as this baby head coverage goes.. my preference is for comfortable. I would probably put a hat on a boy baby. But I do like the bigger comfy looking wraps like Ivy is wearing. She doesn't look like she's miserable. If she was not a fundie baby and I knew nothing of any of this debate I would go that way with hypothetical little Elizabeth Georgia.

I wouldn't dress her with headbands and flowers the size of her head. My own head is a bit large and almost all standard size bands and hats sold squeeze me.

I think it looks like Jessa's style. I really do. And bamboo is cooling and comfy added to fabric.

I would put bowties on little Jonathan Everett.

Yep. I would. But if they screamed. I would not. And when they start choosing, it's their turn. Style is to be encouraged by the parent but not demanded.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

The more expensive clothes that I/family buy for my children seem to be the ones that wear out the fastest. My husband's sister is always getting my daughter Kate Spade and mini Boden outfits that get snags and rips in them after a couple of wears, whereas she has Old Navy and Cat and Jack outfits that could withstand the apocalypse. She'll barrel roll down the little slope behind our house ten times in a row and those cheap clothes will be no worse for wear.

I saved some of wychling's clothes, hoping that grandwychling could use them.  Plus, I stocked up on Oshkosh and Carter sales.  Those things last and last.  Unfortunately, grandwychling doesn't like to wear confining clothes so the overalls will stay packed away.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, a lot of her leggings have gotten holes in them this school year.  I try to have her wear someone more durable at home, but she wants to wear leggings most days to school right now. We have started turning the ones with holes into shorts for playing outside this summer.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I put bow ties on my son and he likes to wear hats. If he wanted a bow  I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm very girly by nature I wear pearls and bows frequently.  My son likes baby dolls a lot but other than that he is pretty sporty so I dress him in lots of basketball shorts and tanks in the summer. I'd put a girl in bows if she seemed to like them or we were doing pictures. Most of the population end up cis gendered so I just dress my kids as such until they want to experiment other wise. My son has plenty of purple and pink outfits he has picked and he sleeps with glittery rainbow colored stuffed cheetah every night. We also have trans and non bianary family that are grsatcabout answering the kids in the family's questions and recommend books and things for them.

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't resctrict what items/colours they wear. Just because they're girls/boys it doesn't mean they should be limited to certain types of clothing e.g. frilly bows/hats. It's the same with toys. If we went to the toy store and my son wanted a Barbie, he would get the Barbie. 

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

I put bow ties on my son and he likes to wear hats. If he wanted a bow  I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm very girly by nature I wear pearls and bows frequently.  My son likes baby dolls a lot but other than that he is pretty sporty so I dress him in lots of basketball shorts and tanks in the summer. I'd put a girl in bows if she seemed to like them or we were doing pictures. Most of the population end up cis gendered so I just dress my kids as such until they want to experiment other wise. My son has plenty of purple and pink outfits he has picked and he sleeps with glittery rainbow colored stuffed cheetah every night. We also have trans and non bianary family that are grsatcabout answering the kids in the family's questions and recommend books and things for them.

I feel really lucky that a very close family member is both Bisexual and Transgender. My daughter and nephews are going to grow up understanding it’s completely ok and normal to, “have your brain not match your body,” thanks to having him in their lives. A lot of kids don’t have that constant exposure at such a young age, but there are some pretty awesome books coming out now that can help. My personal favorite is, “I Am Jazz,” because the book explains what being Transgender means in such an uncomplicated way and helps show that Trans people are pretty much like everyone else. My daughter loves Jazz and requests that book on a regular basis - she even makes the connection between Jazz and mermaids when she sees a picture of The Little Mermaid pop up on the tv screen when we listen to Disney songs through Amazon.

So for anyone looking for quality LGBTQ+ reading material for kids, I’d highly recommend “I Am Jazz.” I’d also recommend the classic, “Heather Has Two Mommies” - the basic message is that it doesn’t matter what your family looks like as long as you love each other and I think that’s a really positive and healthy message for young kids. My daughter loves that one too and has started requesting an apple tree in our backyard when we eventually move because Heather has an apple tree in her yard. ?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I can attest to this. My daughter has 4 pairs of black leggings. Not one without holes. It's like she walks on her knees. Sometimes they only last a few wears without damage. I make her wear they holey leggings on gym days. ? 

Miniway loves leggings and breaks a lot of them, he’s an energetic boy that seems to fall over a lot. Last week he broke a pair of leggings (that he had chosen himself and loved) the first day he wore them. He cried. I promised him I’d fix them for him and I kind of did ... by buying a second pair ... :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

36 bucks for a newborn sleeper that Jessa claims she bought ( wasn’t gifted)? Hot damn, TLC must pay them well.

• I Agree 1

• Blahblah locked this topic