IGNORED

Seewalds 41: Christian Hero Ivy Jane

Georgiana

Last year, a woman fell down the gap of the subway in Boston, cutting her thigh down to the bone. Her first instinct was to beg people not to call an ambulance because she couldn’t afford it. To me, that was the height of absurdity. We have to do something and healthcare, and now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/07/03/health/subway-accident-insurance-fear-trnd/index.html

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 29

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don't get why this shirt mocks 911. 

I would take it (on a fundie) as a never forget dinosaurs are a lie and the earth is only 6000 years old????????

Would people who lost loved ones in 911 take offence at that?

Is it common knowledge that this is an offensive shirt?

Would he be intentionally wearing it to make a statement like their roe vs wade ones?

I really don't understand the point the shirt is trying to make - whether to never forget that dinosaurs aren't real, or never forget that dinosaurs and people lived at the same time and were buddies? I've heard both of those things associated with creationists, so I'm not sure.

I don't think most of us who lost people in 9/11 would necessarily take offense to it - I'm kind of just rolling my eyes, being used to fundie ignorance. But there are absolutely people around here who would take offense to that phrase being used as a joke, regardless of the intention.

I assume he is purposefully making some kind of statement but I really don't know what it is!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I was curious about her birth episode but Jill being in it is a hard pass for me now. She's right below Sex Pest Joshley for me. Please for the love of God stop paying the Dullards. 

I wonder what Jessa will do for baby #4 now that had excessive bleeding

RIP couch. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Just wanted to say, I am ready to burst into tears reading here about the cost of non-American health care. I am type 1 diabetic and I can not let myself be uninsured for one second. I struggle with my 100-200 dollar copay for just insulin every other month. Which I would be dead within a day without. Making sure I always have access to extremely expensive health care is something that stresses me out all day every day. It puts limitations on my life and career choices. Please don’t take your health care for granted! I know other type 1 diabetics who have DIED because of America’s terrible and quite frankly, mean, healthcare industry. These were people I knew personally. I would cut off my arm to have what Canada has. 

Also, during an accidental hypoglycemic episode, my brother literally picked me up and carried me to the car/ER just so I could avoid a several thousand dollar ambulance ride to the hospital. Because something similar happened a few years before and the ambulance ride was 7,000 dollars. Insurance would not cover any of it. It’s all a pointless guessing game with insurance. Sometimes I can’t help but think it was all designed for people like me to suffer.

Edited by BlondeIdol
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 26
  • WTF 1
  • Love 29

48 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

Also, during an accidental hypoglycemic episode, my brother literally picked me up and carried me to the car/ER just so I could avoid a several thousand dollar ambulance ride to the hospital. Because something similar happened a few years before and the ambulance ride was 7,000 dollars. Insurance would not cover any of it. It’s all a pointless guessing game with insurance. Sometimes I can’t help but think it was all designed for people like me to suffer.

And a lot of insurance companies will flat out refuse to pay what they should pay according to your policy.  I had to take an ambulance to a hospital several years ago in Texas, and my co-pay should have been $100, but my insurance company said it was out of network and I had to pay $600.  This was not true according to my policy (emergency services are exempt from the whole in-network/out-of-network dance), but by the time I figured out how to challenge them on that they said I only had 6 months from the date of the ambulance ride to challenge and since that time was up I just had to pay, no matter what it said in the policy. I was living in Europe at the time so of course I didn't even get the bills for several months after it happened. Grrrrr. 

• Sad 5
  • WTF 5
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, BlondeIdol said:

Just wanted to say, I am ready to burst into tears reading here about the cost of non-American health care. I am type 1 diabetic and I can not let myself be uninsured for one second. I struggle with my 100-200 dollar copay for just insulin every other month. Which I would be dead within a day without. Making sure I always have access to extremely expensive health care is something that stresses me out all day every day. It puts limitations on my life and career choices. Please don’t take your health care for granted! I know other type 1 diabetics who have DIED because of America’s terrible and quite frankly, mean, healthcare industry. These were people I knew personally. I would cut off my arm to have what Canada has. 

I’m so sorry for what you are going through, Blonde. I agree about our health care system.

I sat with a woman yesterday who told me she has severe, intermittent pain because of a tooth she cannot afford to have removed (I work with the homeless and the uninsured). The pain is so severe it causes her to take huge, unhealthy amounts of otc pain reliever. The local free clinics only provide routine care like cleanings. 

• Sad 8

12 hours ago, beepy13 said:

All I kept thinking about during the episode was how little protection they had put on the couch for her birth! I would never in a million years attempt a homebirth, but if for some reason I ended up in that situation, I can assure you that the entire room would be wrapped in plastic! ? 

They had basically a 3'x'3' white pad thing, with nothing else. I mean...isn't birth a messy experience? And then you're just going to invite your family and friends to sit on the same couch where FLUIDS and BABIES were just coming out of you???

Right? If I HAVE to squirt placenta and castor oil shits, I might as well do it someplace I’ll leave behind and never see again, where I (or my family) don’t have to be responsible for the cleanup.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 4

My doctor would have killed me if I tried Castor Oil. When I was overdue with Sullie 1 she made it implicitly clear not to take castor oil but we know the Duggars use of the term "medical professionals" is a loose version of the word professional. 

As for postpartum hemorrhage, that's not something I would mess with personally. I had a minor one after my cesarean birth with Sullie 2 and my doctor took it very seriously. She put me on Pitocin, another drug and I had to stay in the hospital an additional day. If I had another baby, I would not risk it.

• Upvote 9

I think that this post on Kupwf Tumblr si very interesting.

Screenshot_20190620-220812_Tumblr.jpg

Screenshot_20190620-220818_Tumblr.jpg

Screenshot_20190620-220827_Tumblr.jpg

Screenshot_20190620-220834_Tumblr.jpg

Ups haven't realized that the first part is partially cover by a message please ignore it ?

Also I hope this is ok since is in a public forum, but if not please tell me 

• Upvote 25

Well if Ben is ever going to put his foot down and claim headship power for once it will be for the next birth. He seemed horrified during the first bleeding incident, then leading up to and during the second birth he was openly terrified of another major bleed. He seemed way more concerned than Jessa ever did. Hopefully she will stop being so damn stubborn for inevitable birth number 4. 

And on an interesting note regarding Lady Jane Gray I found this quote from her to Roger Ascham to suggest she is an appropriate namesake in a quiverfull fundy family....just not in the way Ben and Jessa intended :

“For when I am in the presence either of father or mother, whether I speak, keep silence, sit, stand or go, eat, drink, be merry or sad, be sewing, playing, dancing, or doing anything else, I must do it as it were in such weight, measure and number, even so perfectly as God made the world; or else I am so sharply taunted, so cruelly threatened, yea presently sometimes with pinches, nips and bobs and other ways (which I will not name for the honour I bear them) ... that I think myself in hell.”

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

@ItaliangirlI wondered why her midwives didn't give her pitocin shots, though I didn't see the video yet (waiting for YouTube) so maybe they did? You would expect a midwife combined with Jessa's history to be prepared with/for this. Mindblowing in a negative way. The Netherlands have one of the best homebirth systems in the world and they all carry this with them. 

• Upvote 9

14 hours ago, Flossie said:

I had a neighbor (M) who lived too far for comfort from the hospital when she was pregnant with her first child.  So as soon as she went into labor she and her husband drove to the house of a friend who lived only a few minutes from the hospital.  They expected to be there all day and maybe even stay the night, but within a couple of hours after arriving, M's water broke while sitting on the couch.  Following the advice of the time, they immediately left for the hospital.  M said she was apologizing about the couch, but her friend was too excited about the impending birth to care.  

I don't know if they got rid of the couch after that or what, but I remember that when I was seven months along with my second, my MIL and FIL had to drive me when I had to take an emergency trip to the doctor.  MIL refused to let me into her car until she duct taped her entire back seat, the floor, and the backs of the front seats with garbage bags and made me sit on some towels that she informed me were old and she didn't need them anymore.  My water didn't break, the emergency turned out to be something that was handled with a prescription, and my second went on to be two weeks late.

I had another friend who woke up after her water broke in her bed.  They burned the mattress.

my water broke at home with both kids . wtih DD it was like a trickle, so a pad was fine for the drive.

FOr DS, it was like niagra fucking falls. I ended up with depends on (randomly had at the house) and a puppy pad on the seat of the car! worked fine!

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

@ItaliangirlI wondered why her midwives didn't give her pitocin shots, though I didn't see the video yet (waiting for YouTube) so maybe they did? You would expect a midwife combined with Jessa's history to be prepared with/for this. Mindblowing in a negative way. The Netherlands have one of the best homebirth systems in the world and they all carry this with them. 

Not all states allow CPMs to carry pitocin.  Not sure if AR does.

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
Well well well, Teresa got her license!
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

I don't remember where I read this, but I believe in many states, CPMs can carry pitocin, but it cannot be used to induce, only after birth to prevent or treat hemorrhaging. I don't know, but I always thought the pitocin for hemorrhage was a localized injection, not an IV. I don't think CPMs are qualified to even start an IV.

• Upvote 3

So essentially Jessa's hemorrhages are because she and her midwife are fucking morons. 

• Upvote 24

On 6/20/2019 at 10:31 AM, lumpentheologie said:

And a lot of insurance companies will flat out refuse to pay what they should pay according to your policy.  I had to take an ambulance to a hospital several years ago in Texas, and my co-pay should have been $100, but my insurance company said it was out of network and I had to pay $600.  This was not true according to my policy (emergency services are exempt from the whole in-network/out-of-network dance), but by the time I figured out how to challenge them on that they said I only had 6 months from the date of the ambulance ride to challenge and since that time was up I just had to pay, no matter what it said in the policy. I was living in Europe at the time so of course I didn't even get the bills for several months after it happened. Grrrrr. 

I find this completely unacceptable. It is super sad that this seems to be a common experience.

• I Agree 9

My insurance company when I had #1 tried to deny the entire event because I didn't call with in 72 hours of his birth.  He was born Thanksgiving day (in the US),  their offices were closed on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I called them 1st thing Monday morning, gave them the info she said you didn't call Friday? I said you were closed Friday I tried to call, she asked if I left a message, there was no option for leaving a message so no. Needless to say it took 10 months and my mother (who was an Insurance exec at the time) calling the state insurance commissioner for his office to call my insurance company and magically everything was paid, but my deductible.

It worked out int he end for me but not everyone has a direct connection to the insurance commissioner of their state to solve these problems, or a family member with 25+ years of insurance experience who knows EXACTLY how the game is played. That is the only thing that saved us from a $30k bill (this was 1997). 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 5

The cost of the ambulance is why so many people take an Uber, Lyft, or taxis instead. 

NYT had an article on it.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

I know this isn't the point but I do want to tell you guys (just in case anyone didn't know this) I used to work in an ambulance billing company and as long as someone was paying SOMETHING....ANYTHING (even just $5) every 30 days we couldn't do anything at all about it. We could not go after them or send them to collections. I'm certainly not arguing the point that ambulance rides are ridiculously expensive but just a small tip in case anyone didn't know that. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 13

And unfortunately the cost of ambulances are so high because of the people who abuse their use and don't have the means to pay for it, because they do not care.  My cousin is a paramedic firefighter in the city we both live in, almost 225k people, in the city limits and he is a city medic/ff. He regales us about his adventures when ever we seem (about 2 or 3 times a year) one of his last was a woman on Medicaid who is diabetic and needed transport to the hospital 3 times in a 24 hour period, she was non-compliant so the ER would kick her out for being belligerent after stabilizing her and telling her to take her meds and stop eating candy and drinking soda. She of course refused. He gets a lot of homeless people, junkies, drinkers etc who have no way to pay and no intention of paying. They don't care if they are harassing 1st responders, or medical staff, or tying up resources, they are belligerent and a drain on the system.  This could be helped in a major way if we had proper mental health care in this country (US) but we don't so the 1st responders and ER staffs are overloaded with patients who need to be locked up in mental heal facilities because they cannot survive on their own and have no where else to go.  It is sad, frustrating, and in the end WE wind up paying for it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

When I had my baby, I was already hooked up to a pitocin IV to help intensify my contractions. After I gave birth, my nurse asked if it was okay to use the pitocin for the afterbirth. I believe it’s a common thing to use? My response was “sure since it’s already hooked up”. 

So I know it can be administered via IV for afterbirth. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

The only issue I have with the name Ivy Jane is it always reminds me of the Little House rhyme that the kids made up about their teacher.

(Going to school is lots of fun,
From laughing we have gained a ton,
We laugh until we have a pain,
At Lazy, Lousy, Lizy Jane.)

I love Laura, but that was an unforgivably nasty thing to put in a book. Eliza Jane has been her sister-in-law for many years by then.

• Upvote 3

She never did grow to like Eliza Jane who really was a domineering grating person And Laura was not a very loving or warm person generally.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Jessa could seriously die the next time she gives birth. Unlike with Jill and Joy, it doesn't seem like her babies are at risk, just her. But if she isn't smart about it next time, she could bleed to death or possibly damage her body so severely that she will be unable to give birth naturally or at all. She and Ben need to take this more seriously. 

So far Jessa's had 3 homebirths, 2 with complications that required hospitalization.

Jill's had 2 homebirths, both of which required c-sections.

Joy's had 1 homebirth that required a c-section.

Excluding Anna, that's 1 for 6 when it comes to successful homebirths. I feel like it's going to take either the mom or baby dying for them to stop.

My cousin had severe stomach pain once but refused to go to the hospital, despite everyone at work telling her to, because she didn't have insurance. Eventually she caved in. She had an ectopic pregnancy. If she had waited any longer, she would've died. 

• Upvote 20

I wonder how much of this they would have shared if the picture hadn't been posted showing Ivy being held in a hospital room.  I'm in the camp that they never planned anything but a home birth but didn't want to catch the flack that her sisters have gotten.

• Upvote 13

• Blahblah locked this topic