IGNORED

Seewalds 41: Christian Hero Ivy Jane

Georgiana

They went to walk the stairs. Walking is generally recommended in early labor to get things going, and that's probably somewhere she felt comfortable if things started going faster than anticipated. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

38 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don't get why this shirt mocks 911. 

I would take it (on a fundie) as a never forget dinosaurs are a lie and the earth is only 6000 years old????????

Would people who lost loved ones in 911 take offence at that?

Is it common knowledge that this is an offensive shirt?

“Never forget” was/is a common phrase to refer to 9/11. The shirt was created after to equate the end of dinosaurs with the destruction that happened that day. I mainly know this because someone close to me purchased and wore the shirt. 

Josiah could be wearing it for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they have coopted it to remind people that dinos and people coexisted. 

• Thank You 4

11 minutes ago, Mimosa said:

They went to walk the stairs. Walking is generally recommended in early labor to get things going, and that's probably somewhere she felt comfortable if things started going faster than anticipated. 

Yeah, the TTH is multistory and thus has frankly quite tall stairs, which B&J's house doesn't, plus it has plenty of room to move around and with most of the family gone to Carlin's wedding was actually probably pretty quiet, so might have even been somewhat more restful than staying home during the early waiting stages.

Edited by metheglyn
eh
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I worked with a (obviously fundie) doctor who actually brought me in a book that 'explained' how all the common dragon mythology all over the world explained dinosaurs. HE IS A DOCTOR, I could not believe it, I loved my discussions with him because of my obsession with fundies 

I had a geometry teacher in high school who was squarely in the "there were no dinosaurs, ever" camp. All of the students knew that if we didn't want to do geometry that day, someone just needed to bring up dinosaurs and he would launch into a lecture on his belief that dinosaur bones were put in the ground by Satan. Needless to say, it was a frequently utilized stalling tactic. 

• Haha 32
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, nst said:

i bet it's the allure of giving birth on the same sofa she had Henry on. 

I really don't get not going straight to the hospital from the get go.

hemorrhaging is bad yes? 

is it worse than having  your period?

I hemoraged with my daughter and needed a transfusion ...tmi but it was pouring down the hospital bed onto the floor ...it’s more akin to being stabbed in an artery than your period.  

It’s why if my daughter ever had a baby and wanted a home birth I’d fight her hard on it - they told me had I been home Id have bled out and not survived the trip to the hospital.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 15

I think Jessa thought the bleeding after Spurgeon’s birth was a fluke.  She didn’t have any complications with Henry so she probably felt comfortable attempting a home birth. It doesn’t mean it was the smart thing to do, but the 2nd generation Duggars aren’t known for their intelligent choices when it comes to childbirth. 

I noticed Jessa referred to Josiah and Lauren as Silar which made me think of the villain on the show Heroes and giggle. I felt bad for Lauren though. She was due around the same time as Jessa and I’m sure it was bittersweet to be there, thinking about how things might have been. When I had a miscarriage I had a few friends who were due at the same time and I unfollowed them on Facebook and even avoided one in a store because I couldn’t bear to see her. I ended up getting pregnant with my youngest a few months after the miscarriage but it didn’t make things any easier for me around the due date for the pregnancy I lost.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 8

2 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

I felt bad for Lauren though. She was due around the same time as Jessa and I’m sure it was bittersweet to be there, thinking about how things might have been. 

Me too. You could see the pain in her eyes when she & Josiah were talking to the camera about how newborns are a miracle. She looked like she was really trying to be happy for Jessa, but that happiness never made it to her eyes. Her eyes were just sad.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

My last pregnancy had 7 days in the hospital, 41 hour labor, c section, and a neonatologist consult. The bill would've been 47,000$! Thank for we hav amazing insurance (thank you US Army lol) we paid 25$ since I went off post.  I can't believe people who want to "have as many children as God gives them" wouldn't see the value of insurance. Sure a home birth may be cheaper but you still need prenatal care and what if you have an emergency!?

• Upvote 12

7 hours ago, SillyDillys said:

Granted not as pricey as jill's and Joy's bill, but ambulance where I am at is like $2000.

Reading this and other hopsital stay bills people have posted on here.... makes me so so so thankful to be Canadian. ?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8

17 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Reading this and other hopsital stay bills people have posted on here.... makes me so so so thankful to be Canadian. ?

I hope all the posters here who live in places with universal health coverage never take that for granted. It’s so, so very easy to lose access to things you take for granted and decent healthcare that doesn’t bankrupt you is such a fundamental human right in my opinion. Be aware of what your politicians are doing and hold them accountable through voting if they try taking it away. 

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

18 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I hope all the posters here who live in places with universal health coverage never take that for granted. It’s so, so very easy to lose access to things you take for granted and decent healthcare that doesn’t bankrupt you is such a fundamental human right in my opinion. Be aware of what your politicians are doing and hold them accountable through voting if they try taking it away.  

Being with Mr. Music for the past three years was also very eye opening. Before he got is Canadian permanent residency (equivalent to the US green card), he was not allowed to benefit from universal heathcare. So he had to get a private insurance and pay for all his medical bills first and then get reimboursed by the French insurance compagny.

During the time he was on the insurance, he did have one emergency that required an ER trip and I saw the bills afterwards. We didn't even take the ambulance, I drove him. So this ws the bill only for the consultation at the ER. HOLY COW, I think it was my first time actually grasping the true cost of medical care. And I shamefully admit I was a full grown adult, and had never before  stop and think about theses costs. It is truly amazing to be able to grow up your whole live and never worry if you would be able to afford an hospital birth or a trip to the ER. Since that moment I really am more grateful that my government was able to recognize that healthcare was a fundamental right for all. Thank you Tommy Douglas!!! Intersting fact about him: did you know that the father of Canadian universal healthcare was also a Baptist ministry beside being a politican and becoming the first premier of a social democratic government in Canada? At least to me this is more in tracks with being a Christian and living by your Christian values. By giving human rights to all your fellow citizens. (and that was in 1962!)

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 1

All I kept thinking about during the episode was how little protection they had put on the couch for her birth! I would never in a million years attempt a homebirth, but if for some reason I ended up in that situation, I can assure you that the entire room would be wrapped in plastic! ? 

They had basically a 3'x'3' white pad thing, with nothing else. I mean...isn't birth a messy experience? And then you're just going to invite your family and friends to sit on the same couch where FLUIDS and BABIES were just coming out of you???

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 10

52 minutes ago, beepy13 said:

All I kept thinking about during the episode was how little protection they had put on the couch for her birth! I would never in a million years attempt a homebirth, but if for some reason I ended up in that situation, I can assure you that the entire room would be wrapped in plastic! ? 

They had basically a 3'x'3' white pad thing, with nothing else. I mean...isn't birth a messy experience? And then you're just going to invite your family and friends to sit on the same couch where FLUIDS and BABIES were just coming out of you???

If I didn't have my mother's history of labors going wrong making me what a hospital birth. I still would never do a home birth either for that reason. Its gross. All those gross fluids and stuff on my couch? On the floor or my bed? No thank you I'd rather give birth in a hospital and leave all that gross stuff there. 

• Upvote 16

On 6/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, NorthernGal said:

While pregnant with my first child I wanted a girl.  That was 29 years ago and I guess I really wanted a girl to dress up.  My reason are vague.  But it remained I truly wanted a girl and thought getting a boy would be a booby prize.  After 48 hours of labour NorthernSon1 was born.  Being extremely fatigue my first response to "It's a Boy" was "Are you sure"  Somehow in the recesses of my very exhaused brain I recalled reading that when babies are born there genitals can be swollen to the extent a girl could like like a boy.  In any case I can assure you once he was in my arms all thoughts of a boy being a booby prize vanished.   My reason for posting is just because it was such an amusing first response to the Dr telling me it was a boy. 

I was convinced my second was a girl since I had a girl first and my pregnancy was so similar to the first one. When he was born and the doctor announced he was a boy I said "What am I going to do with a boy?' Haha. I was fine once we settled in a bit but it was just such a shock for some reason. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, beepy13 said:

She stored a big pile of dirty diapers in her bedroom. I can understand forgetting 1 diaper at the changing table, but 2 days "production" is disgusting. 

Seewalds are not known for being very clean. Adding more little kids will only make things worse in that matter. But at least they seem happy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 2
  • I Agree 4

32 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

She stored a big pile of dirty diapers in her bedroom. I can understand forgetting 1 diaper at the changing table, but 2 days "production" is disgusting. 

Seewalds are not known for being very clean. Adding more little kids will only make things worse in that matter. But at least they seem happy. 

I agree ugh, my house certainly isn't spotless but I've never left a diaper laying around let alone a mountain of them. 

I try not to judge people's housekeeping especially since my kitchen is always a train wreck but that had to smell lol 

Edited by Daisy0322
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

I had a neighbor (M) who lived too far for comfort from the hospital when she was pregnant with her first child.  So as soon as she went into labor she and her husband drove to the house of a friend who lived only a few minutes from the hospital.  They expected to be there all day and maybe even stay the night, but within a couple of hours after arriving, M's water broke while sitting on the couch.  Following the advice of the time, they immediately left for the hospital.  M said she was apologizing about the couch, but her friend was too excited about the impending birth to care.  

I don't know if they got rid of the couch after that or what, but I remember that when I was seven months along with my second, my MIL and FIL had to drive me when I had to take an emergency trip to the doctor.  MIL refused to let me into her car until she duct taped her entire back seat, the floor, and the backs of the front seats with garbage bags and made me sit on some towels that she informed me were old and she didn't need them anymore.  My water didn't break, the emergency turned out to be something that was handled with a prescription, and my second went on to be two weeks late.

I had another friend who woke up after her water broke in her bed.  They burned the mattress.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Flossie said:

I had a neighbor (M) who lived too far for comfort from the hospital when she was pregnant with her first child.  So as soon as she went into labor she and her husband drove to the house of a friend who lived only a few minutes from the hospital.  They expected to be there all day and maybe even stay the night, but within a couple of hours after arriving, M's water broke while sitting on the couch.  Following the advice of the time, they immediately left for the hospital.  M said she was apologizing about the couch, but her friend was too excited about the impending birth to care.  

I don't know if they got rid of the couch after that or what, but I remember that when I was seven months along with my second, my MIL and FIL had to drive me when I had to take an emergency trip to the doctor.  MIL refused to let me into her car until she duct taped her entire back seat, the floor, and the backs of the front seats with garbage bags and made me sit on some towels that she informed me were old and she didn't need them anymore.  My water didn't break, the emergency turned out to be something that was handled with a prescription, and my second went on to be two weeks late.

I had another friend who woke up after her water broke in her bed.  They burned the mattress.

My water broke after I had my epidural placed. High fives all around for no mess me for go clean up! Im hoping the same thing happens this time because I’d be so tempted to immediately clean up the mess. 

(Apologies to the Nurses and staff who did have to clean up after me though. At least I was such a polite and fun patient that they invited me back to have another baby anytime I wanted. ?)

• Upvote 12

I had to have my membranes ruptured during both of my first two deliveries, so there was plenty of padding down to absorb the fluid.  

But my waters broke naturally with my last pregnancy.  I was past two weeks overdue, to the point where my doctor kept ordering tests to check on the baby.  He admitted that even with early ultrasounds to date the pregnancy, he was wondering if I wasn't as far along as thought.  After one such test, the nurse told me that nothing had changed, I was free to go, and as I was climbing out of the bed there was a sudden gush of water.  The nurse saw the look on my face and asked me "What's wrong?"  I told her I thought I'd just peed myself.  She told me not to move and got a tiny strip of paper from a drawer and touched it to the fluid on the bed.  The wet portion turned black.  "Nope.  Your waters just broke.  You're not going anywhere.  You're having a baby today."

VelociRapture, if your hospital was like mine, they had a nice absorbant pad underneath you and the cleanup wasn't that hard.  But even if they were caught off guard, I'm sure that they have cleaned up worse than amniotic fluid, and who wants to complain when a baby's on the way!

I don't know how it goes for other people, but I've found that a lot of stuff is ignored when a baby is about to be born.

I suppose you could pick a comfy chair, line it with a plastic shower curtain, then top that off with towels and only sit on that when you get close to your due date.  But I bet that once things get to the point of the water breaking, people stop thinking about cleaning up and start thinking about a safe delivery.

This would be a good scenario to present in the Pregnancy and Parenting forum.

• Upvote 10

I am grateful for the NHS here, I have only had to pay for my glasses and some dental treatment since I was 18. I live in Scotland, where prescriptions are free and I only had to pay for my inhalers and other things a few times before the SNP were elected in Scotland and prescription charges were first reduced then abolished. I don't abuse the service though like some people do, I don't get a prescription for things that can be purchased cheaply, such as the paracetamol and ibuprofen for my back and antihistamines.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

The only issue I have with the name Ivy Jane is it always reminds me of the Little House rhyme that the kids made up about their teacher.

(Going to school is lots of fun,
From laughing we have gained a ton,
We laugh until we have a pain,
At Lazy, Lousy, Lizy Jane.)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

The only issue I have with the name Ivy Jane is it always reminds me of the Little House rhyme that the kids made up about their teacher.

(Going to school is lots of fun,
From laughing we have gained a ton,
We laugh until we have a pain,
At Lazy, Lousy, Lizy Jane.)

Awesome! I remember this too. Those books are fabulous. 

• Upvote 2

As ever, reading about medical bills here on FJ makes me dizzy. I cannot imagine having to think twice about calling an ambulance or presenting at a hospital. 

It’s a wonder to me that there isn’t more appetite for change. I guess it’s big business with powerful lobbyists 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Irishy said:

As ever, reading about medical bills here on FJ makes me dizzy. I cannot imagine having to think twice about calling an ambulance or presenting at a hospital. 

It’s a wonder to me that there isn’t more appetite for change. I guess it’s big business with powerful lobbyists 

There is appetite for change. Many, many Americans support universal healthcare of some form. Unfortunately our political system is messed up and many people in Congress aren’t representing what people actually want. It’s difficult to attain change when gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement ensures that political parties hold more power than they really should. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 5

On the cost of giving birth, we paid about $1500 out of pocket for each of my babies (Both c-sections, I think each one cost close to $100,000 total). I can't complain especially since I had gallbladder removal surgery in February and we are STILL getting bills in the mail for it, four months later. Out of pocket costs are up to almost $3000 now. 

On wanting a certain gender, I thought after I had my first girl that some part of me would want a boy next. Then I realized that unfortunately the political/social climate in this country isn't particularly friendly to African-American males. My husband and I were both somewhat relieved that our second (and last) baby was also a girl- before we knew what we were having we talked about having to have "the talk" with our potential son similar to the one Miranda and Ben had to have with Tuck on Grey's Anatomy (I included the video under the spoiler. It makes me cry every time) we will probably still have to have similar talks with our daughters but they are slightly less at-risk than a male would be.

Spoiler

I'm glad Jessa and Ivy are safe and healthy. I will say the scene with Grandma Mary and the rest of the family was sweet to see. I'm sure they're glad to have that on film.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 20

• Blahblah locked this topic