IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 2: Now with Archie

Coconut Flan

On 7/5/2019 at 8:06 PM, viii said:

It’s all the announcements that get me. They’re constantly announcing that they will not announce anything. It’s tiresome. 

Grumpy Brit here. This! They need to sit down and shut up about what they are NOT doing! ?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Don’t pelt me with tomatoes but I wonder if the Queen has any more energy left in her to regulate her children or grandchildren. I would have thought  she would have told Andrew to ditch Epstein years ago for the sake of the Monarchy and now all these little storms with the Duchess. I know she does not like confrontation or controlling but still. 

I have to say, I'm so over all things Meghan Markle. Maybe because I just never watched Suits I just didn't get into her? I just find her to be insufferable since she became a member of the royal family. I'm also not from the UK so I might be perceiving it wrong, but she just seems like one big slap in the face to them. All this nonsense about privacy. Sorry but you're living a publicly funded lavish lifestyle. If anyone should have come into this family prepared for what it's like to be in the public eye is should be her (far more than Diana, Kate, etc) yet she is by far the worst. When they first got together, and not knowing much about her, I thought it was actually refreshing to pick someone so controversial as an actress. Now I just think he hooked himself a Diva and I would bet it's not going to be long before she quickly loses any bit of support from the people. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I was willing to give this couple benefit of the doubt,  but that Wimbledon photo speaks volumes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If it is so bad just abdicate, give up the tax payer funding and entitlement and  move completely into private citizenship or work like Beatrice and Eugenie.

I was predisposed to like Meghan as a private person/royal.  That is as opposed to being an actress.  I liked her character on Suits and yes I know that's a fictional character, but that was mostly what I knew and I hadn't heard anything really bad about the actress.  However, it has all been downhill for me since the pregnancy announcement.  The red carpet posing emphasizing the barely there bump was unappealing to me.  Those were not oh I'm inadvertently cuddling the bump.  They were I'm doing a stylized red carpet style photo opportunity with my hands deliberately placed to show the world I'm pregnant and thereby precious poses.  The baby shower really emphasized the special privilege and entitlement view.  The woo that has come out from the shops and crystals is kind of the icing.  The we can't decide if we're private people or royals or we want to be both and decide on our unpredictable terms is about to be the death blow for any positive thoughts. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

I liked Meghan tremendously in Suits. I also think many exaggerate even though I am not the biggest fan of what she has shown of herself since the engagement either. Her clothes are fine in royal circles (even if not to my taste) and the bump hugging argument is as ridiculous as the criticism Kate git for always pushing her clutch under her bump in my opinion. 

It’s not as if she acts in a vacuum. Most things I shake my head about are about decisions she and Harry probably made together. No one can say if many of those questionable decisions aren’t maybe driven by him. It really annoys me when people act as if Harry has no say. There is no sign that those decisions aren’t completely mutual so both are to praise or to blame. It’s sad that they are caught in such a bad dynamic with the press and many royal watchers.

But this couple wants to have it both ways and they can’t. If they want to be celebrity humanitarians they should stop being working royals and use their own money/do fundraisers and stop profiting from privileges when they don’t want to pay the price they come with. Otherwise find a better way. Being relentlessly criticised comes with the job (it has happened to all of them- but it was absolutely right to speak out against racism) and it would be wise to check where to compromise and where to stand your ground (the Cambridge’s decided to stick to their very limited access to the children and only now people accept it).

They need to realise that they cannot get a Grace Kelly scenario. The BRF is definitely nothing like the Monegasse. And the expectations by the people who pay the bill are also very different. There is nothing wrong with being not white, divorced or working as an actress. The American part might have been a problem due to how the world experiences the current president. But the biggest issue is when royals start acting like your normal celebrity. Meghan had a great start with all her engagements (but I hated most of her styling choices) but whatever happened afterwards is just strange.

Now I don’t know any of them personally so I am sure they are all nice enough. But right now- they are not doing a great job.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

I've been giving this whole relationship side eye from the beginning when I heard the very strange story line of how they met even though she was dating, and living with, someone else. And the strange wanna-be Gwyneth Paltrow website. And the super fast relationship.

I have shown myself to have A+ crazy chick radar, and this girl pinged it from the very beginning. And Harry totally comes off as a guy who is into crazy chicks. 

That being said, I do think there are some critics out there who are just racists. Or have some weird loyalty to Kate and feel the need to put down MM. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

When they said they jetted off to Africa for a multi-day vacation together after a grand total of two dates, I was like, “ ....... “

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Damn. You should see posters Meghan’s ultimate fan/beatification sight Royal Forums doing The most amazing mental gymnastics trying to to excuse everything she does. Anyway They just closed almost all her areas up because their was actual discussion and argument and RF only likes sheeple agreement IE She is a bullied victim and the media is out to get her.  

TRF is the Sugariest of Sugar Boards, not just with MM. It's one of those boards where if there were a videotape of Duchess XYZ axe murdering someone, it would by "Well done, YRH. Look how masterfully she holds the axe and how perfectly the blood matches her gown"

Edited by omilona
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 1

I'm tired of Meghan and Harry.  They remind me a lot of Princess Madeline of Sweden.  She wants to be HRH when it suits her and wants to be left alone as a "private citizen" the other times.  It's hard to be sympathetic to have it both ways.  

Meghan needs to follow the rules. Don't turn around on the balcony, don't show up to the royal box in jeans.  Play the game or abdicate.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Oh I didn't know FJ had a royal board...brilliant as during a period of ill health earlier this year I swotted up on the royal family to keep conversation going with elderly relatives!

I was honestly neutral about Meghan Markle, didn't watch Suits,but thought she was beautiful and hoped it would work out for her and Harry. I'm now in the he's easily led camp and wondering if the crazy is strong in her.  Clearly neither of them have a grasp of irony as they are quite at ease to declare for normalcy and privacy whilest evoking a bit of royal elitism by using the private chapel rules not to release the names of god parents!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, omilona said:

TRF is the Sugariest of Sugar Boards, not just with MM. It's one of those boards where if there were a videotape of Duchess XYZ axe murdering someone, it would by "Well done, YRH. Look how masterfully she holds the axe and how perfectly the blood matches her gown"

I have lurked on the TRF, namely following the MM threads but some others and agree with the above.  Some of the MM threads were really getting interesting  only to be closed down. 

22 hours ago, LillyP said:

When they first got together, and not knowing much about her, I thought it was actually refreshing to pick someone so controversial as an actress. Now I just think he hooked himself a Diva and I would bet it's not going to be long before she quickly loses any bit of support from the people. 

Right, the more they want it both ways, especially on contradictory terms, is going to mean loss of public support for her and Harry as well.    It's too bad, she seemed to get a positive start but now it's getting annoying.    The woo woo with crystals and all is fine in private (whatever) but publicly?  That's going to go over like the knowledge that Charles talks to plants.   

• Upvote 3

I wouldn’t go so far and say that she is „a crazy chick“ or that he is „easily led“. We have no idea of their dynamics just that they are both not acting very wise/entitled/... in their public approach. 

The „secrecy“ around Archie could very much be caused by Harry. While the Cambridge’s approach of public access to their children was a big topic in the royal communities (discussion went on for years since George’s birth and they were in some parts heavily criticised) many long time royal watchers already predicted that Harry would shield his future children even more. They had made many interesting observations to back up their claims.* Seems as if they have been right.

*Sadly I cannot remember  them as the discussions went down some time after Charlotte‘s first birthday.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

The „secrecy“ around Archie could very much be caused by Harry.

I agree with this.  It's well known that Harry does not like the press and it's been reported he sees them as responsible for killing his mother.  

• Upvote 3

I don't fault royals for wanting to keep their children a little bit more on lockdown. Children are born into the situation and don't have a choice. I know Harry has a long-standing negative opinion of the press because of his mom and I can completely understand that. That being said, as an adult, Harry could choose to abdicate his title and live life as a private citizen with no royal funding. Likewise, Meghan is an adult celebrity who consciously chose to marry into the royal family. With that lifestyle comes a set of rules and protocol to follow. She wants to have her cake and eat it too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Ooh I just discovered this board. Harry and Meghan are so interesting to me. I was predisposed to really like her and I did, right up until Eugenie’s wedding. So tasteless to announce her pregnancy at that time. 

The two have just gotten more insufferable since then. The terrible, expensive wardrobe, the weird announcements, and the way they make a big deal out of dumb stuff really grates. And I’m American— I can’t imagine how obnoxious it is for the people actually footing their lifestyle. 

• Upvote 8

The Royals had been doing so well choosing spouses the last several years with Mature Intelligent People like Sophie Wessex who are still themselves and interesting but fit in and follow royal protocol. Pity.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

The Royals had been doing so well choosing spouses the last several years with Mature Intelligent People like Sophie Wessex who are still themselves and interesting but fit in and follow royal protocol. Pity.

And Sophie got off to a rough start but learned.  I respect that a lot.  She and Edward also seem to have a very supportive marriage and keep their children out of the spotlight. 

Archie, by contrast, has now been seen by the public more in nine weeks than Prince George was in his first six months.  Privacy: you're doing it wrong. 

• Upvote 10

9 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

She and Edward also seem to have a very supportive marriage and keep their children out of the spotlight. 

Exactly and they don't go issuing memos to the press that they want everything to be kept private.  There is a way to keep privacy without being so public about it.  (If that makes sense).

• Upvote 11

I'm actually laughing about their "privacy" for Archie this week.  Don't show a full on facial shot of the kid for two months except one released at the ever so secret christening.  A few days later take the kid out in public to a polo match with your brother/in-laws' and their kids where you know the group will be a photo magnet.   Privacy - you're doing it wrong.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

And Sophie got off to a rough start but learned. 

She did indeed. She also got the one or other scandal/smear campaign over the years. The „lucrative PR contract“ that brought secretly recorded tapes where she criticised the Prime Minister and other politicians and made some unlucky remarks on Charles and Camilla comes to mind. The perception that she was trading on her royal connections broke her back and she had to step down from her business. (Which she did and therefore I think it was right to step down.) It was actually made worse by how BP handled it in the beginning.

Some years later she got the general Diana comparison. Unfortunately for her they did look quite similar for a time and magazines couldn’t help themselves but to make up stories about how she was obsessed with Diana and even had cosmetic procedures done to look like her. All together with painting her with a rather unflattering persona and of course let her know she could never be as good/pretty/saintly... as Diana.

All Royals, especially the females get a smear campaign once in a while. But they also bring some scandals up themselves. 

• Upvote 2

My 2 cents: he probably is the one that wants privacy considering what happened to his mother. But, she was an actress. Her whole livelihood was dependent on being in the public eye for so many years. Before meeting him she was trying to make the best of it and probably became somewhat skilled in presenting herself to the press (just an assumption since I have never followed her career or social media). It's probably hard to lose control on how you present yourself (since the RF has some guidelines in that respect) and they have not found the appropriate middle ground yet. Or she may not want to be outside of the public eye, but has to find a middle ground with him (if he truly wants privacy for their kid).

Yes, it should be obvious that she can't do things the way she used to do them, because her livelihood now depends on something else. But it's probably not easy. Obviously, her style clashes with what people expect from her. She might just not want to give up her habits or she might be completely tone deaf regarding what her new life as part of the royal family is expected to be.

Having said that, I have no special feelings towards her or Harry, I would not be surprised to find out that one/both of them are assholes.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Cora Persephona said:

It's probably hard to lose control on how you present yourself (since the RF has some guidelines in that respect) and they have not found the appropriate middle ground yet. Or she may not want to be outside of the public eye, but has to find a middle ground with him (if he truly wants privacy for their kid).

I think this is where I'm an American, so no skin in the game, and really no opinions on either of them (except I find her gorgeous and hope she never tries to cover her freckles...I love freckles....but anyway...) Posters above said Sophie had a rough start then learned and I hope for H/M's sake it's the same case for them as well. It's been just over a year since being married and I'm sure the transitions in terms of their still-new relationship/living together (that most couples go through in general) in addition to whole BRF stuff is difficult to navigate. 

• Upvote 3

Naturally William grew up with expectations with  special training and Guidance from his Grandmother and presumably his father. Harry was Diana’s goofy sweet baby and got more of her ways and ideas. Which meant the Royal side and Windsor toughness of character was  not as developed. 

1 hour ago, Cora Persephona said:

She might just not want to give up her habits

But that's what she agreed to by marrying into the royal family. I don't have sympathy at all for them and all the negativity they've brought on themselves. It's not like she was some random private citizen who lived a quiet life and had no idea what to expect. She was an American celebrity used to spotlight and press, and I would bet all the money I have plenty of time was spent discussing with her what to expect out of royal life - including the protocols. Royals don't just let someone marry into the fold without making sure they know all the expectations that lie ahead of them. She very well could have though "psh, I'm used to press....I've got this" but the reality is a lot harsher.

I think they did a big disservice to Harry. Growing up William was very much treated (and acted!) like the heir and Harry was very much treated like the spare. Likewise, he also acted like it and go away with a whole lot of stuff. They were much more lax with his behavior and the requirements of him. Now he's in the spotlight taking on royal duties and having to conduct himself in a formal way and while I think *he's* doing ok - he didn't chose well in the wife department. 

That being said, they are just insufferable to me with all of her nonsense.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LillyP said:

But that's what she agreed to by marrying into the royal family. I don't have sympathy at all for them and all the negativity they've brought on themselves. It's not like she was some random private citizen who lived a quiet life and had no idea what to expect. She was an American celebrity used to spotlight and press, and I would bet all the money I have plenty of time was spent discussing with her what to expect out of royal life - including the protocols. Royals don't just let someone marry into the fold without making sure they know all the expectations that lie ahead of them. She very well could have though "psh, I'm used to press....I've got this" but the reality is a lot harsher.

I think they did a big disservice to Harry. Growing up William was very much treated (and acted!) like the heir and Harry was very much treated like the spare. Likewise, he also acted like it and go away with a whole lot of stuff. They were much more lax with his behavior and the requirements of him. Now he's in the spotlight taking on royal duties and having to conduct himself in a formal way and while I think *he's* doing ok - he didn't chose well in the wife department. 

That being said, they are just insufferable to me with all of her nonsense.

Oh, she was told what to expect, no doubt about it. And yes, she was used to the press, but she was used to interacting with the press however she saw fit. She may be having trouble adjusting or she may not be interested in adjusting. 

He may have chosen the right wife for him, although that doesn't mean she is the right wife for the 6th(?) in line for the throne. For a very long while he did not act like he was in line for the throne either.   

I'm not trying to defend them in any way, as I said, I don't particularly like either of them. I'm also not British so they are not spending my money. 

I do think that they need to choose if they want to be working royals or not and respect the terms of the contract as it were.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic