IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 2: Now with Archie

Coconut Flan

My opinion of them is slipping - I’ve always been a huge fan of Harry but things are just weird now. I just don’t understand the mixed messages.

I read this today and found myself nodding along. I’m sad that I don’t love them anymore.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/awkward-fact-meghan-markles-diary-lays-bare/news-story/b2a06f330b17c10f124912fe177adabc

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

That is an excellent article. I think it’s highlighted some real key points and hopefully they’re corrected soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Apparently their new charity is going to focus on environmental causes. Which...don’t lecture me about the environment when you’re taking private jets across continents for a freakin’ baby shower. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

Such a good article. Not everything gets to be glamorous and fun— sometimes a job requires you to do things you don’t want to do and she doesn’t seem to be understanding that. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Apparently their new charity is going to focus on environmental causes. Which...don’t lecture me about the environment when you’re taking private jets across continents for a freakin’ baby shower. 

Or shooting a bunch of animals for fun.   Or taking private planes to various African and European counties to shoot said animals for fun.   Or taking a day trip by private plane to Norway.  Or hiring a private helicopter to go from London to Birmingham.   

Prince Harry is so tone deaf it's practically a joke.   

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I really do not understand the upset in the article. Virtually every woman I know has taken maternity leave with a new baby. That doesn’t mean they hide inside for months. They rest, they bond, they nurse, they sleep - and occasionally they go on social outings, generally more frequently as time goes by, or if several events are clustered close together. That doesn’t mean they are ready to go back to their regular job. 

What is strange about that? 

• Upvote 10

Her job now is going to outings, events and meetings etc to and with British concerns and British individuals to Promote British interests and The British people are indirectly paying her to do that.  Instead her outings are to Wimbledon to see her bestie and her  meetings  are with Beyonce at Movie Premiers   All the while promoting Non British designers and  All the While skipping more mundane and more meaningful duties because she is on “Maternity leave”

And yet the same people are still paying. 

Something stinks about this and it’s not a from Corgi with a upset stomach 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Isn't Archie like 2 months old?  I mean, I know I'm Canadian and we get a year maternity leave over here and all, but postpartum hormones are no joke.  I was strangely weird for months after my youngest was born (undiagnosed postpartum anxiety is no joke).  I'm rambling here, but my point is, her baby is tiny, and two months really isn't long to get adjusted to a new normal, especially on little sleep and other things.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

When I was on maternity leave (a pretty long maternity leave, 9 months, not to mention 4 months before giving birth because I work in what is considered a dangerous environment) the Italian state and my employer paid me to stay home with my baby and, believe it or not, neither my employer nor the state put any limits on what I could do with my life in those months. I could go on holiday, to concerts, to sporting matches or wherever I wanted. Incredibly neither my fellow countrymen, those not many people who know me, had anything to comment, even if their taxes were paying for me staying at home. Incredible isn't it? Very generous on their part. /Sarcasm

I don't give a fuck about the British royal family. Actually, I am staunchly republican and I think that one of the best choices we ever made as a country was to get rid of all the monarchical leeches. Especially whenever I see the tacky trio that would be our royal family.

But I get pissed when women get harshly criticised for cherry picking what they do when on maternity leave. If she's working full time and chooses to ditch the veterans for Beyoncé then hung her out to dry. On maternity leave? That's just BEC with a side dish of envy for undeniably privileged life. It would make more sense to admit the uneasiness in front on the sheer unjustified privilege that the institution of monarchy embodies and perpetuates instead of policing what a woman should do or not do while on maternity leave.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

9 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

It would make more sense to admit the uneasiness in front on the sheer unjustified privilege that the institution of monarchy embodies and perpetuates instead of policing what a woman should do or not do while on maternity leave.

But I think that’s where a lot of this criticism is coming from. It’s not about being ‘omg so jealous’ that she gets to hang out with Beyoncé. It’s about the fact that her entire lifestyle is funded by the state, that she’s chosen to join a family/group that exists in the public eye for the sole purpose of serving basically as ambassadors or glorified mascots, that she chose this with her eyes wide open, and yet she’s giving off this attitude like she’s so hard done by and the rest of us owe her something. It’s almost combative. Also, government-funded maternity leave for normal human beings is a completely different ball game than being a working member of the royal family. There’s no comparison.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

@laPapessaGiovanna It's not about maternity leave.   It's about public appearances.   

She's  absolutely entitled to - and capable of - slipping into events as a private citizen and not doing so as "a public appearance by The Duchess of Sussex."   She wouldn't get to walk the red carpet.  It wouldn't involve the fancy dress or the photographers or the public hugs with celebrities.  She might not get the VIP box at Wimbledon right next to the official photog... And definitely not the whole area.  

But she's not doing that, so it appears like she's using maternity leave as an excuse to avoid the  humdrum parts of royal life... the ones where she'd have to meet & greet the plebs.  You don't get to cherry pick as a royal.  It's supposed to be about service, not celebrity.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I am glad the next two Queen Consorts and Kings  are so very far from this Work Ethic and notion of it takes to be a Royal person and the future is in them not Harry and Meghan and the this Maybe Windsor maybe red carpet maybe private maybe philanthropist silliness.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Also, government-funded maternity leave for normal human beings is a completely different ball game than being a working member of the royal family. There’s no comparison.

I disagree, if being a "working royal" is actually working, then it is comparable, at least on a conceptual level. It's not comparable if we admit that being a royal is not a job but just a life of privilege in exchange for some boring engagements, limited by little accountability. 

And btw they are normal human beings, pretty average actually. What's not average is their privilege.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I disagree, if being a "working royal" is actually working, then it is comparable, at least on a conceptual level. It's not comparable if we admit that being a royal is not a job but just a life of privilege in exchange for some boring engagements, limited by little accountability. 

And btw they are normal human beings, pretty average actually. What's not average is their privilege.

You have a good point. When one of my sisters was on maternity leave her job had an event for veterans. She didn't go, but she did actually go to do something else. And no one complained because she was on maternity leave.  If going to royal events is Meghan's job and she is now on maternity leave from that, then it is perfectly acceptable that she miss work events and actually do things she likes and probably will get to do less of when she goes back to work. 

• Upvote 9

37 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I'm actually not sure how we disagree. I mean, I agree with everything you said here. I guess the only disagreement is whether it's acceptable to criticize her for her choices during her maternity leave. I personally think a lot of the criticism she gets is nonsense, but a lot of it is spot on. She wasn't born into this life, she chose it willingly, and she has to accept the reasonable consequences of that.

• Upvote 9

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I guess the only disagreement is whether it's acceptable to criticize her for her choices during her maternity leave.

I don't think that all her choices can't be criticised just because she's on maternity leave. If she spends a shit ton of semi-public money that could be spent better on ugly clothes that's fair game maternity leave or not. If she goes to unreasonable length to not have to go near the unwashed while watching a sporting match that's fair game. 

I just think that no woman should be criticised for how she chooses to spend her time while on maternity leave.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

She's  absolutely entitled to - and capable of - slipping into events as a private citizen and not doing so as "a public appearance by The Duchess of Sussex."  

So for example her husband would go to a movie premiere walking on the red carpet and meeting Beyonce while she would have to go staying far away from her husband just because she's on maternity leave. Yes seems fair. /s

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

It's supposed to be about service, not celebrity.

Any civil servant even remotely touched by half the scandals that through the years involved many of them would have been sacked or never re-elected long ago.

• Upvote 7

The problem isn’t her maternity leave. She, as every new parent, deserves it. And I couldn’t care less if she takes a whole year or less or more. Same for Harry. They have the privilege to choose as they see fit and I only wish all parents had that privilege. 

Her situation is just more complicated because her appearances looked/look more like official work outings. That problem comes with this particular job. Every job has downsides and either you live with it or you quit. (She could built a good work uniform- hello to Kate’s coat dresses- that make it abundantly clear she is at work).

If you go private you shouldn’t demand to get the seats around you cleared. That drama was so easy to avoid and she deserves the criticism around it. 

The premiere is different because it I see why they felt it to be weird not to be at your husbands side. They could have still decided that her appearance on the red carpet is shorter. This was work for Harry but private fun for her. And by the way- many famous couples actually do that at premieres for exactly those reasons.

I really hope they find a way to come around (and no- they don’t need to be like W&K at all) because they could be great assets for the monarchy. 

On a superficial note: why did she decide to wear a dress that is clearly too tight? All seams are so stretched. I mean- in my opinion she doesn’t have to hurry to loose the pregnancy weight fast or even at all. But it’s just an unfortunate look and she is in the wonderful position that she has the resources to never ever has to wear something ill fitting again. BP has seamstresses if you are determined to wear something. She looked much better in her Wimbledon outfit: jeans and blazer. Why didn’t she wear an all black trouser suit with a messy bun? I was so excited to see her bringing this style into the RF. But as I said, completely superficial and I know many loved the look.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

@laPapessaGiovanna Yes, it it's fair, if you're thinking of this as a job.  When my boyfriend was on leave from our workplace, he didn't get to stop by as he liked for training day in the city, or public service day wine and cheese, or other "fun" events.  If he wanted wine and cheese, he had to buy it for himself. 

@just_ordinary her recent sartorial choices are not cut well for her body.  I wonder if she's still adjusting to her new figure. She's pretty and  still quite petite and a good stylist could make her look amazing. 

Edited by acheronbeach
Added words
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

If you go private you shouldn’t demand to get the seats around you cleared. That drama was so easy to avoid and she deserves the criticism around it. 

Yeah, she was pretty silly to do that. And claiming to want privacy for their child and then immediately dragging him out in  place where they know there will be tons pictures taken is also silly. But bitching that she doesn't do maternity leave like people want her is pretty petty. 

No, she isn't exactly like a normal worker, but she is still someone who is on maternity leave and to expect her to work her maternity leave if she is going to do anything else that she finds fun is ridiculous. Now, if she gets off maternity leave and acts this way it would be a different story. 

• Upvote 9

No, she isn't exactly like a normal worker, but she is still someone who is on maternity leave and to expect her to work her maternity leave if she is going to do anything else that she finds fun is ridiculous. Now, if she gets off maternity leave and acts this way it would be a different story. 

But the problem is she doesn't seem to make a distinction between work and maternity leave. As someone whose job is public appearances, she has to separate one from the other in a way. That would mean low key appearances like another poster already suggested so it's clear she's not officially working. She could've briefly walked the red carpet with Harry but met and hugged Beyoncé inside of the theatre. Oh wait but then she wouldn't have been in every magazine and tabloid. Same with Wimbledon.

If I normally work with clients in an office and I'm on maternity leave I can't just show up at work and talk to one of my best clients, even if it's not at all work related and just for fun. It's a matter of what's appropriate in a social context and not regarding to maternity leave

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

@laPapessaGiovanna Yes, it it's fair, if you're thinking of this as a job.  When my boyfriend was on leave from our workplace, he didn't get to stop by as he liked for training day in the city, or public service day wine and cheese, or other "fun" events.  If he wanted wine and cheese, he had to buy it for himself.

I think this is a fair point. It's no one's business how she chooses to spend her time on her maternity leave, but it is other people's business if it's costing the "company" additional resources. 

The best comparison I can come up with for us hoi polloi is, if you want to leave the baby with your husband for the weekend and visit your sister in Florida on your maternity leave, that's no one's business and I'll criticize anyone criticizing you. If you expect to take the company car to visit your sister in Florida on maternity leave and then want to expense the gas and food during the trip down, we have a problem. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I am glad the next two Queen Consorts and Kings  are so very far from this Work Ethic and notion of it takes to be a Royal person and the future is in them not Harry and Meghan and the this Maybe Windsor maybe red carpet maybe private maybe philanthropist silliness.   

Lmaooooooooo William and Kate are some the laziest royals ever, and I say that as a fan of them. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I like this reporter. (Posted earlier by @adidas

She makes some fair points. 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/awkward-fact-meghan-markles-diary-lays-bare/news-story/b2a06f330b17c10f124912fe177adabc

If Meghan truly is attending film premieres and tennis and baseball games in a private capacity, good on her, but it’s a bit hard to tell the difference when she rocks up to the tennis, sits with miles of empty seats around her, and demands no photos. Unlike Kate who apparently trotted in quietly and sat in the crowd on a minor court (14?) on the same day.

I get it that maternity leave is when you take time out for yourself, are full of hormones and need to be supported. But she’s coming across as clueless.

This is not a normal job and doesn’t mirror normal employment rules. And she knew that very well going into it. She has missed some golden opportunities  to make a good impression (D-Day for example) when even a short appearance would have made a world of difference to opinions.

And yes, maybe it’s Harry’s fault too but I get the feeling that she is absolutely in control of what happens. She was a strong, capable woman in her own right before she married him. I think she’s a diva who was a minor celebrity (If you didn’t watch Suits had you even heard of her before?) and is revelling in a stratospheric leap up the rankings along with all the trappings that brings. 

Edited by Blahblah
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic