IGNORED

Megachurch founder James MacDonald allegedly sought murder for hire, police investigating

47of74

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am one of those people who likes to watch shows and read stuff about murderers. There are quite a few people who murder their spouse mostly because they don’t want to get a divorce. Which is often religiously based. To them, it would be better if they were a widow than a divorcee in their religious community. It’s disturbing. That divorce is so demonized in their religion that they would rather secretly kill their spouse than get a public divorce. 

Hi, my name is Smittykins, and I’m an Investigation Discovery addict.  It’s what I usually have on when I’m not watching baseball. 

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Hi, my name is Smittykins, and I’m an Investigation Discovery addict.  It’s what I usually have on when I’m not watching baseball. 

Yeah I think I've caught my parental units watching that a few times.  Of course it could be worse and they could be watching Faux "News" so I don't complain too much about that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I can get picky though. There are some ID shows that are over the top and ridiculous. If there is crazy bad acting in the reinactments, I have to stop watching. But some shows can be really good. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

My husband and I watch a fair amount of murder mysteries together. He has made me solemnly swear that if I ever decide to poison him, that I will not use arsenic. :twisted:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

MacDonald in a nutshell?

JesusBCG.jpg.bb2f1bc92b70dc8cdfa884dd1bb5c712.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

My husband and I watch a fair amount of murder mysteries together. He has made me solemnly swear that if I ever decide to poison him, that I will not use arsenic. :twisted:

There’s always antifreeze in iced tea...?

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

I discovered The Unforgotten on PBS a few months ago.  Not true crime, but I really like the way they develop a story over time. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Or Jello. Anything sweet. Anitifeeeze is said to have a sweet taste. I wish antifreeze makers would make it more bitter tasting. Not because I think huge amounts of people are poisoning their spouses. But because animals will sometimes lick any spilled antifreeze and poison themselves. If it was bitter, they would likely take one lick and be done with it. Likely not enough to poison themselves. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, smittykins said:

No, you put it in the Gatorade

• Haha 5

The first time I saw this ad, I immediately thought, “Antifreeze poisoning”:

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The first time I saw this ad, I immediately thought, “Antifreeze poisoning”:

Green jello and green Gatorade only if you are planning an antifreeze poisoning! Or put it in someone’s absinthe if you are poisoning their alcohol. Basically if your significant other is really pushing for you to have something green, back away very slowly. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 5

There's been one line that's been standing out to me in particular from this posting by former Harvest member Lima Abujamra

A year or so before leaving Harvest I had written a blog post about holiness in which I had referenced the growing fad of tattoos in our culture. I hadn’t realized that James had gotten a tattoo that week. My blog had indirectly undermined James. As a result, I was asked to meet with the elders, pull the blog piece and write a new one that James would first approve. James ended up sending me a copy of the new approved blog post, and out of fear, I complied. I didn’t want to be rebellious against authority. I also managed to write an apology to James for the pain I had caused him. I regret staying at Harvest after that meeting with the elders. I should have left that week, but I was too afraid to cause damage to Jesus and His kingdom and the women I was leading at that time.

It occurs to me that a lot of programming went on inside the heads of people who were associated with MacDonald's company church.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

@JermajestyDuggar, I thought I heard on an episode of Forensic Files that the makers of antifreeze had made it unpalatable just so that pets wouldn't be tempted to get into it. I could be mis-remembering though. Ricin poisoning terrifies me as I believe it is extremely painful and extremely toxic. I love Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda. He has a very dry, sardonic with that I love. I joke with my husband that I love Joe Kenda but that I love my husband more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@JermajestyDuggar, I thought I heard on an episode of Forensic Files that the makers of antifreeze had made it unpalatable just so that pets wouldn't be tempted to get into it. I could be mis-remembering though. Ricin poisoning terrifies me as I believe it is extremely painful and extremely toxic. I love Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda. He has a very dry, sardonic with that I love. I joke with my husband that I love Joe Kenda but that I love my husband more. 

Thanks for posting. I just googled and it looks like they have mostly made it bitter but there is still some antifreeze out there that isn’t bitter. But at least it’s a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will be 100% bad tasting in the future. 

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/making-antifreeze-less-deadly-for-pets-and-people/

• I Agree 5

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can get picky though. There are some ID shows that are over the top and ridiculous. If there is crazy bad acting in the reinactments, I have to stop watching. But some shows can be really good. 

I am addicted to FreeJinger and Websleuths (habits that are hard to break!).

When TV is on (I’m a movie person more than a TV person), it’s either Forensic Files or Investigation Discovery.

My partner’s comfortable “fall asleep to” channel is Bob Ross or QVC (his mom’s favorite). Mine is the monotone yet soothing voice of the narrator on Forensic Files. It’s an investigative crime show but I could listen to his voice all day.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 5

Just now, luv2laugh said:

I am addicted to FreeJinger and Websleuths (habits that are hard to break!).

When TV is on (I’m a movie person more than a TV person), it’s either Forensic Files or Websleuths.

I’ve seen all the forensic files episodes at least 3 times each. I started watching it way back when it had new episodes in the early 2000s. When I was in college my roommates always made fun of me for watching murder shows all the time. They said I watched the same stuff their parents and grandparents watched! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve seen all the forensic files episodes at least 3 times each. I started watching it way back when it had new episodes in the early 2000s. When I was in college my roommates always made fun of me for watching murder shows all the time. They said I watched the same stuff their parents and grandparents watched! 

HAHA!!!! I get those comments now. My friends can’t relate and they prefer podcasts but I don’t. Nothing beats Forensic Files, to me. It’s a suspenseful show and I like how they explain how forensics were key to solving them. I also like that there is no graphic violence or grisly details shown. It’s laying out the facts and the basics of what happened. They also interview family and friends, in many cases. My best friend tells me that her mom and I have a lot in common.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, 47of74 said:

Along with "God's will" meaning that they need to have a big ass house with a ten car garage

MCDpad.jpg.56fab8da41cf93b1f0ba1b59febb3f79.jpg

I have family that has drunk the koolaid of this church and never honestly knew a lot about him. This is a gross display of wealth. How disgusting. It’s almost worse than Joel Osteen, right? I say that because this guy lives in a higher COL area (if the house pictured is in Wilmette, the average home in that area sells for ~$1 mil) sells far less books than Osteen, and is far less famous. Basically, he is shelling out far more cash to live an opulent lifestyle compared to Joel Osteen. Compared to Osteen, MacDonald has to make more of a sacrifice to live this way.

”He came to me and wanted me to have a hitman and he wanted me to hire a hitman and my understanding was to kill one of his rivals. At that moment, I realized I was in a cult, this guy was bad, and I couldn’t support it any longer. Do I think he was kidding? No. I think he really wanted me to find a hitman for him as I had found other people to do deeds for him. Had he stepped up and apologized, had they (HBC) done any kind of forensic audit, had anybody done anything right at any step of the way at this place called Harvest, I wouldn’t have done this today,” he said.”

Is the rival Bill Hybels? James MacDonald’s Harvest and Bill Hybels of Willowcreek notoriously compete and draw from same audience. Metro Chicago area pastors are really looking bad...

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

He has a very dry, sardonic wit that I love. I joke with my husband that I love Joe Kenda but that I love my husband more. 

"Well my, my, my."  (It's a Joe Kenda thing.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

@Howl, I just love it when he says that. He cracks me up. "Well how did that bullet get in your house Mike? Did the bullet fairy come in the middle of the night and leave it under your pillow?" Yes, I love me some Joe Kenda. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:
3 hours ago, snarkopolis said:

No, you put it in the Gatorade

Koolaid

Flavor Aid.

Spoiler

download.jpeg.jpg.536b9e53d6b023b92d1cfc336eedd17a.jpg

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I have family that has drunk the koolaid of this church and never honestly knew a lot about him. This is a gross display of wealth. How disgusting. It’s almost worse than Joel Osteen, right? I say that because this guy lives in a higher COL area, sells far less books than Osteen, and is far less famous. Basically, he is shelling out far more cash to live an opulent lifestyle compared to Joel Osteen. Compared to Osteen, MacDonald has to make more of a sacrifice to live this way.

Is the rival Bill Hybels? James MacDonald’s Harvest and Bill Hybels of Willowcreek notoriously compete and draw from same audience. Metro Chicago area pastors are really looking bad...

At a previous job I worked with a couple people who consumed plenty of HBC flavored koolaid.  

Of course there's lots of fundie activity going on in the Chicago area.  Not only churches but there's also Wheaton College which is basically the Midwest clone of Liberty University.

• Upvote 4