IGNORED

Maxwell 31: InVESTing in Quality Bible Bindings

samurai_sarah

On 6/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My creepy and often graphic imagination immediately thinks of two bloody and beating hearts being knit together with knitting needles.

That image would have made a great poster for an 80's slasher movie.  

• Upvote 6

Gosh Anna looks haggard in the prayer request photo. She looks atleast early-mid thirties.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

New post up on the blog. It’s from Anna Marie about scripture memory. The only problem I have with this is fundies equate scripture memory with understanding. Children can not comprehend religion, amongst other things. Heck most adults can’t comprehend it. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

6 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

New post up on the blog. It’s from Anna Marie about scripture memory. The only problem I have with this is fundies equate scripture memory with understanding. Children can not comprehend religion, amongst other things. Heck most adults can’t comprehend it. 

I remember memorizing the pledge of allegiance in kindergarten. I don’t think I quite understood what it meant until years later. Yet I said it every morning for years! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

On 6/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, freejugar said:

Guys, the Maxwell blog is recursive

I found the same post from a year ago, and Anna is wearing the same vest!

https://blog.titus2.com/2018/06/01/please-pray-for-anna-and-mary/

Hmmmm... so this is to protect their privacy and that of the ministry? So we won't know what color vest to look for in pictures? Lol

• Upvote 5

LIttle Ruthie looks a lot like NR Anna. Wonder if this family will compete in the Bible Verse Competition things that other fundies do? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Markie said:

LIttle Ruthie looks a lot like NR Anna. Wonder if this family will compete in the Bible Verse Competition things that other fundies do? 

We know the Bontragers are into the Bible Bee. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the Maxwell grandkids ended up competing when they are older. 

• Upvote 5

They don’t mix with other fundies like that. The only Bible Bee they will ever participate in is maybe one Set of Cousins against another at  Grandpa and Grandmas house. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2

I think one or two of the grandkids have competed in some sort of competition, not the bible bee but something else. I can't remember which kid it was though. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if they only encouraged the little boys to participate in the Bible Bee type competitions. In the Bontrager family, both girls and boys participate. But I think they push it harder for the boys. The girls never seem as interested in the Bible Bee as the boy Bontragers. Yet there are lots of girls from other families in the Bible Bee that make it to the finals and sometimes win. I don’t think the Bontrager girls are bad at memorizing. I just think their parents are so strict when it comes to gender roles that they don’t encourage the girls like they encourage the boys. 

• Upvote 13

The Bontrager girls are probably helping to prepare the meals while the boys are memorizing bible verses. The boys most likely have more time to practice. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Markie said:

The Bontrager girls are probably helping to prepare the meals while the boys are memorizing bible verses. The boys most likely have more time to practice. 

If that’s the case the girls definitely got the better deal there.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

I might be misremembering, but didn't Melanie and Nathan's girls participate in something like a Bible Bee (a non-family one) a few years ago?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 6/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, mango_fandango said:

Abby is 11 years old now, and she spends all her time with her siblings and cousins. The sad thing is that she has no idea how stifling that is. She’ll be an adult in seven years and be at prime courting age a couple of years after that. I wonder if she ever looks at her spinster aunts and wonders about her own future

As a fundie child of about Abby's age, I looked at Poor Sarah and worried about my own future (and at that point it was only through the lens of "will I be able to find someone to marry me so I can have children?"). This was almost 15 years ago. I imagine it worries Abby immensely. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1

19 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

They don’t mix with other fundies like that. The only Bible Bee they will ever participate in is maybe one Set Crew of Cousins against another at  Grandpa and Grandmas house. 

FTFY :my_tongue:

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 18

8 hours ago, fellowunfundie said:

As a fundie child of about Abby's age, I looked at Poor Sarah and worried about my own future (and at that point it was only through the lens of "will I be able to find someone to marry me so I can have children?"). This was almost 15 years ago. I imagine it worries Abby immensely. 

Dear Rufus that is the one of the saddest things I have ever read. The kid is eleven. Eleven!!  When she should be worrying about what to wear to Girl Guides camp or how to become a deep sea diver, she has this on her mind. There is exactly one future available to her and already she can see that she might not get even that. Ugh. What a failure of a way to raise a child. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

@Myfanwy,  I have a granddaughter who's 10 and one who's 9.  The nine year old is at sleep away camp this week and the ten year old is going to sleep away Girl Scout camp next week.  It makes me really sad that Abby will never get to experience something like that.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

Abby is 11, next year she will be 12.  It was mentioned on the blog or maybe one of the moms corners that once a Maxkid reached 12 playtime starts getting cut back.  Now with Debbie here Abby will be raising her full time soon, I fear Abby will be the Poor Sarah of that household.  New post up, Griselda Teri got a quilt.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 8
  • I Agree 3

I also feel bad for Abby. At least she isn’t the oldest of 19. But she will still have to do plenty as the oldest of 6. I also feel bad for Christopher’s oldest girls. Because those two will likely be the Maxwell’s to hit double digits first. Ruthie and Lydia will have a lot of sister-momming to do in the future.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

On 6/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, mango_fandango said:

I know we discuss how the Duggar/Bates girls marry super young and whether they’re really “prepared” for marriage. At least they were able to mix with other kids their own age, even if it was at Big Sandy or some other ATI thing. The Maxwells don’t get that at all. Abby is 11 years old now, and she spends all her time with her siblings and cousins. The sad thing is that she has no idea how stifling that is. She’ll be an adult in seven years and be at prime courting age a couple of years after that. I wonder if she ever looks at her spinster aunts and wonders about her own future.  

1. Hobbies are for self. Self is evil. Hobbies, such as making balloon animals, are used in ministry so those are good. I imagine if, say, Mary wanted to crochet hats for preemies or lap robes for the nursing home crew and do so in Jesus name and give them in Jesus name, she could do that. Maybe even crochet something for a shoebox [Samaritan's Purse] Maybe. But to crochet just to be able to sit down and think? Of course not!

2. Before TV the Duggars had minimal interaction with others--just a few ATI/IBLP families nearby and an occasional stranger on the rink at broomball. TV has given those kids a ton of freedom and life experiences that the Maxwell "girls" will never have.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Myfanwy,  I have a granddaughter who's 10 and one who's 9.  The nine year old is at sleep away camp this week and the ten year old is going to sleep away Girl Scout camp next week.  It makes me really sad that Abby will never get to experience something like that.  

Indeed. And so very much more. Stuff your grandbabies will do and have will be the stuff of dreams for Abbey. Little girls who all live in the same developed country. Whose parents clearly prioritize their little lives in very different ways. 

PS Can someone explain 'sleep-away' camp and camp to me? What's the difference. Also while you're at it, what is day camp?? 

• Upvote 4

Sleepaway camp is where they are at the camp 24 hours a day, sleeping in dorms usually, away from home.  Day camp is like day care for older kids where they stay home and only go during the day.  In my area it's sponsored by a church or the city.  They have activities and field trips.  It usually is run for about 7 weeks in the summer between school sessions.  It was a great place to send the kiddos while I worked so that they weren't home fighting and being bored.

• Upvote 10

Full summer sleep away camp is very expensive these days so kids mostly do day camp. But there are sleep away camps that are only a week or two and they are much more affordable. I did sleep away Girl Scout camp and sleep away 4H camp each summer when I was a kid. They were both a week or less. My nephew does sleep away basketball camp for a week in the summer. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

Pretty soon Abby', Ruth and Lydia's lives are going to be: Bible time, exercise, feed siblings breakfast, clean house, Bible study (aka school), feed siblings lunch, more "school", make dinner, clean house, pray, bed. All done whilst babysitting her younger siblings. That's no life for anyone.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 5

Does anyone else find the term "scripture memory" weird and the wrong phrasing. Shouldn't it be "memorizing scripture" or something like that? 

Maybe it is because I have multiple post-secondary degrees, but I have never seen the word "memory" used like that before.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic