IGNORED

Maxwell 31: InVESTing in Quality Bible Bindings

samurai_sarah

Tornadoes are awful, there is little warning. They can pop up out of nowhere and at night it’s even worse because you can’t see what’s going on. I live in an area where they are common, but they always hit the rual or flatter areas of the state I’m in. 

They can be truly scary and the damage is unreal. 

@Sister Mozz I always think Lawrence now thanks to Supernatural. 

• Upvote 5

New post, and a non-robotic one for a change. That's what happens when you focus on GiGi - the only Maxwell with a soul. 

And Sarah somehow managed not to link Memorial Day with the unborn - amazing!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

New post, and a non-robotic one for a change. That's what happens when you focus on GiGi - the only Maxwell with a soul. 

You're right, that was a heartfelt post.  Sarah has it in her to write well perhaps.

• Upvote 6

Eh. I'll agree that it's more heartfelt and less robotic than her usual posts, but well-written?

The above picture is a beautiful example of the comforting of a young soldier by an 87-year-old widow whose husband served in Vietnam and was critically wounded in that service, almost losing his life then. 

I'd say that's as awkwardly written as any of Sarah's posts.

Edited by JillyO
"Awkward" is such an awkward word.
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

Tornadoes are terrifying. I live in freaking central Connecticut and there’s a tornado zone about twelve miles south of my town. A friend’s house was destroyed by one in the ‘80s, killing her two dogs. ? And tornadoes devastated Bradley International Airport in 1979. 

And wow—the Memorial Day post! It was heartfelt but managed to say nothing objectionable!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

Eh. I'll agree that it's more heartfelt and less robotic than her usual posts, but well-written?

I'd say that's as awkwardly written as any of Sarah's posts.

Well, I did say "perhaps".

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Hane said:

Tornadoes are terrifying. I live in freaking central Connecticut and there’s a tornado zone about twelve miles south of my town. A friend’s house was destroyed by one in the ‘80s, killing her two dogs. And tornadoes devastated Bradley International Airport in 1979. 

And wow—the Memorial Day post! It was heartfelt but managed to say nothing objectionable!

I do not know how a smiley got into my original post. It was supposed to have been a crying face.

• Upvote 5

On 5/26/2019 at 8:09 PM, Lgirlrocks said:

@albanuadh_1 I popped over to seriously dads but didn’t understand any of it because I am not a man. What am I supposed to do? ??

You could start by thanking Rufus, and thanking him even more that you aren't a Maxwell.

4 hours ago, Hane said:

Tornadoes are terrifying. I live in freaking central Connecticut and there’s a tornado zone about twelve miles south of my town. A friend’s house was destroyed by one in the ‘80s, killing her two dogs. ? And tornadoes devastated Bradley International Airport in 1979. 

10 hours ago, kpmom said:

I'm in SE Ct  and there was a freak tornado about 5 miles from me.  Hurricanes I'm used to, along with blizzards.  Tornados, not so much.I

If I didn't despise the humidity and some relatives down there, Florida sounds ok.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1

@Granwych, my daughter used to live near Groton and I saw a lot of Florida plates on cars when I visited her.  My daughter now lives in Columbia, SC which is hotter than the hub of hell.  She's recently told me that she would not mind being a snowbird herself.  If I could, I'd move north to the Adirondacks or maybe the Maine coast the first of May and not come back till mid-October.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Lawrence would be entirely too stimulating for the Maxwells. It's where KU is, and thus, college students. *Gasp*

Definitely a bluer part of the state.

... Fun fact about Kansas. They have had three female governors. I was looking at the demographics of m/f governors. They were up there maybe with one other state. I would not have thought that. Only 44 ever. Quite a few with none and dear old flat-Earthin Kansas has had 3.

Smoke on that Steve.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

16 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Gigi technically isn't a Maxwell that's why she has a soul.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Gigi technically isn't a Maxwell that's why she has a soul.

Lovely photo. Not a toothy grin in sight. 

Is it the camera angle, or are the gravestones different from the ones in national cemeteries?  They almost look cylindrical.

• Upvote 3

Seriously, props to Gigi.  She shows more empathy and caring than the next generation down ever has, as I can't imagine Steve or one of the kids not taking the opportunity to preach to the poor man.

Also, thinking of the rapidly dwindling chances of the Maxwell girls getting married, I have to wonder how well they'd even cope.  What if the husband liked sports, wanted to encourage their kids to pursue something they truly enjoyed, or anything else they've had drummed into their heads as sinful?  What if their husband wanted dinners with, say, substance or flavour?  Either they'd embrace any (by comparison to Steve) relaxation of the rules or, at best, be conflicted by their mandate to obey their husbands.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

On 5/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, mango_fandango said:

I wonder who’ll get pregnant next. I’m guessing NR Anna will be pregnant with #6 before the year is out. Possibly Chelsy too. And maybe Elissa.

Right now NR Anna doesn't appear pregnant to me. I suspect the reality of supporting so many small children may delay the arrival of #6.  I still expect this family to eventually reach double digits.  Elissa and Joe were out of town without the kids this month, so they may be the next to announce.  Don't have any inkling of Chelsy's potential to be pregnant again by the end of the year, but of course she will not prevent.  I'm hoping little Axton doesn't have to share his crib too soon. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Updated post - Handyman magazine is great for the dad in your life. 

But does it have any references to Jesus in it?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, knitwit said:

Seriously, props to Gigi.  She shows more empathy and caring than the next generation down ever has, as I can't imagine Steve or one of the kids not taking the opportunity to preach to the poor man.

Also, thinking of the rapidly dwindling chances of the Maxwell girls getting married, I have to wonder how well they'd even cope.  What if the husband liked sports, wanted to encourage their kids to pursue something they truly enjoyed, or anything else they've had drummed into their heads as sinful?  What if their husband wanted dinners with, say, substance or flavour?  Either they'd embrace any (by comparison to Steve) relaxation of the rules or, at best, be conflicted by their mandate to obey their husbands.

And Steve and Teri lean back in their respective recliners, steeple their fingertips together and smirk.  Steve, being Teh Man, says it: “All is going according to our plan.”

Those two bozoes are as selfish as a baby boomer can get.  Everything they do, they do to benefit  themselves - well, to benefit Steve. Teri having been the docile and obedient brood mare, gets to share whatever he deigns to share. 

They allow Poor Sarah to write fulsomely of Gigi’s husband’s life-threatening battle wounds in Vietnam, but when the vet was alive, they treated him like less than family. (Oh, SOMEDAY I will find that pitiful portrait of The Steve Maxwell Family with Teri’s parents way off to the side in their chairs!) 

They treated their daughters as domestics and caregivers, planning for those young women to be their nurses when the time came. No thought to permitting (!) any daughter to marry. The world needs children who are Maxwells, not the fruit of any non-Maxwell man’s loins. 

Who will care for PS, Reversal Anna and Scary Mary in their old age? Their brothers’ children, of course.  Keep those Maxwells coming, boys (and helpmeets).

“It’s all going to the plan,” Steve smugs again, and Teri smiles in satisfaction, without showing teeth. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Those two bozoes are as selfish as a baby boomer can get.  

They allow Poor Sarah to write fulsomely of Gigi’s husband’s life-threatening battle wounds in Vietnam, but when the vet was alive, they treated him like less than family. (Oh, SOMEDAY I will find that pitiful portrait of The Steve Maxwell Family with Teri’s parents way off to the side in their chairs!) 

This one?

DSC_77038.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Wondering if they’re getting paid for product placement.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Despite the title, it might also make a great gift for the mom or daughter in your life.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Despite the title, it might also make a great gift for the mom or daughter in your life.

NO, PennySycamore. It’s HandyMAN magazine. Penisholders ONLY.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 19

3 hours ago, Hane said:

NO, PennySycamore. It’s HandyMAN magazine. Penisholders ONLY.

Whose penis are they holding?  They can’t hold their own and they sure as hell cant hold someone else’s.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 10

On 5/29/2019 at 11:47 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Well, it maybe a cultural thing, but none of you think it’s strange to make a photo at a moment like this and post it on your blog? Comforting a sad man is very nice of Gigi, but using this very personal moment to make a photo looks very strange to me. A photo after the hug, Gigi and the man looking to the camera, that’s something I could have understood. I would definitely consider it not done to photograph unaware grieving people in a cemetery. Cultural thing?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

15 hours ago, SPHASH said:

This one?

DSC_77038.jpg

You’re my favorite! Thank you!  

I remember it being more formally dressed and posed but  with all the info in my memory, I could be wrong! Or there could be another, more formal version. 

In any case, 1,000 thanks!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

You’re my favorite! Thank you!  

I remember it being more formally dressed and posed but  with all the info in my memory, I could be wrong! Or there could be another, more formal version. 

In any case, 1,000 thanks!!!

This is the one I remember, although there could have been others.

It might have been a nice photo of four generations if they had moved Teri's parents and their chairs front and center and everyone posed around them.

But, then, of course the attention would be more focused on them instead of Steve and family.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic