IGNORED

Maxwell 31: InVESTing in Quality Bible Bindings

samurai_sarah

@Hane, shredded wheat happens to be one of my favorites.  I haven't had whole biscuits in a while, but I'd crumble them up and add a smidge of milk -just enough to all get soaked up by the shredded wheat.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, catlady said:

back in the 70s, my mom used to buy those multi-packs of cereal singles.  the boxes had perforations where you could open the front and eat out of the box.*  i bet this would blow the collective Maxwell mind.

*we mostly used them for camping, because if you got a little messy opening the liner, the milk would leak out.  do they still make them this way?

I used to LOVE those! I never really liked most of the cereals so I'd dump them out or make my sister eat them and I'd use the boxes for teeny, tiny puppet shows with my Liddle Kiddles. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

It’s another typical Maxwell post; provide basic info, without any explanation of how Steve lost the weight. Teri did say that they’ll give details on Steve’s diet... which could be in a couple of days, next week, next month... or never. 

This reminded me so much of that Simpson’s episode that parodied TV news. “Scientists have discovered that there’s a food item found in nearly every home that can kill you immediately. Details at 11pm.” Or something like that. 

I’ve been non weight bearing and down since a significant foot surgery three weeks (...three days, 1 hour and 13 minutes) ago. Today marks my halfway point of being non weight bearing. Being able to set a second foot down on the floor, even though I’ll still need crutches for awhile longer, will be amazing. 

Anyway, since I am mostly upstairs, cut off from any food my husband doesn’t serve me, I decided this was the time to remove all snacking, even healthy snacks, from my life. I’ve been mostly plant based for two years, since I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I’ve filled my downtime watching a lot of whole food, plant based nutrition documentaries.  It’s really not magic, and I bet a dollar that’s what Steve is doing. Campbell, Esselstyn, Barnard...just read or watch anything by them or with them in it  

It’s a healthy lifestyle for anyone, but the improvements for people with high cholesterol and triglycerides are especially quick and motivating. My cholesterol was 168 at its highest (pre-veganism) and, after a year of eating WFPB it dropped to 149, with a similar increase in my HDL. 

But leave it to the Maxwells to make this a multi-post blog topic.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, catlady said:

back in the 70s, my mom used to buy those multi-packs of cereal singles.  the boxes had perforations where you could open the front and eat out of the box.*  i bet this would blow the collective Maxwell mind.

During my childhood, this was our Christmas morning breakfast. That was the only time we had name brand, sugar cereal. There were 7 children, and we would decide which box was whose days before the actual event. 

The rule was that we all had to eat *and clean up* before we could look at our gifts. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Maybe this says something about me, but I never grew into not violently disliking Shredded Wheat. I do like Raisin Bran, though, so I have that.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

But leave it to the Maxwells to make this a multi-post blog topic. 

They have to make us all shiver with (a lack of) anticipation.  

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, Hane said:

If your family was anything like mine, the little boxes of Raisin Bran and Shredded Wheat sat in the back of the cabinet uneaten forever.

I loved (and still love) Sultana Bran, so that box always went. Not sure if our boxes had shredded wheat or not - the arguments were always over who got the Cocoa Pops. One third sugar, what's not to like, right? As a parent I've finally realised why my parents divided it up between us!

• Upvote 6

On 7/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, kpmom said:

Steve must have been jealous that Ellie was getting so much attention, so Teri felt the need to update his recovery.

Sadly, I agree.

22 hours ago, Hane said:

If your family was anything like mine, the little boxes of Raisin Bran and Shredded Wheat sat in the back of the cabinet uneaten forever.

Not ours! When I was a kid, I loved shredded wheat. And Grape Nuts. John Denver was the Grape Nuts spokesman. I swear I never understood why they were called Grape Nuts when there was no grape in it!

My grandpa ate raisin bran every day. He would scoop out a big bowl of vanilla ice cream and top it with Raisin Bran to complement his bacon/sausage and egg fried in grease.

He lived to be 86 with no health issues, by the way, STEVE.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I loved (and still love) Sultana Bran, so that box always went. Not sure if our boxes had shredded wheat or not - the arguments were always over who got the Cocoa Pops. One third sugar, what's not to like, right? As a parent I've finally realised why my parents divided it up between us!

But were there mini-Weetbix?

We spend about a month a year in New Zealand and my son worships honey weet-bix. It's the only healthy thing he likes and I cannot take home a suitcase full :(

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

@nelliebelle1197,  I had Weetabix some years ago when we went on vacation in England and I loved it!  However, when I bought some here in the States, it was just mush.  I think I may have put on too much milk or something.  Maybe it would have been fine with just a teaspoon of milk.   I mostly ate muesli and there was this one muesli made in Biggleswade, Beds (Bedfordshire) that was so good!

• Upvote 3

Love frosted shredded mini wheats.

Back to Maxhell (The Topic) after a week away and I have a new catchall word for them: 

Insufferable

That said, it tickled me that Ellie’s initial health post got 70-some comments, and Steve’s got 30.

Good on Poor Sarah for getting Ellie responsible care. 

I care about children & memory work but I can’t take the blank looks on the Christopher Maxwell Daughters’ faces especially contrasted with the glaring grin on their mother’s countenance, so I’ll never know if there’s a shred of merit to their method  

And now I’m on an indefinite break because I seriously can suffer these idiots no longer. If something really wonderful happens, feel free to PM me!  

Otherwise, to the Maxborg, who think it’s singular that a pet cat would care about a pet dog in the same household (“Even Arnold stayed near ailing Ellie!” [paraphrased]), I bid a nowhere-near-fond adieu.

• Upvote 9

On 7/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, emesbe said:

The rule was that we all had to eat *and clean up* before we could look at our gifts. 

We had the exact same rule, although Christmas breakfast was generally hot and a much bigger meal than breakfast usually was.

• Upvote 3

Great news, y’all! Now you can buy the UNABRIDGED audiobook of Buying a House Debt Free!! Just $9.99 until July 31st!!!

Being debt free in a cheap town like Leavenworth where your sons buy fixer-uppers to make it even cheaper might be possible for the Maxwell sons, but for many many people it just isn’t possible. I wish the Maxwells would just open their minds a little and think beyond their bubble, but that ain’t gonna happen.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

<snip>

My grandpa ate raisin bran every day. He would scoop out a big bowl of vanilla ice cream and top it with Raisin Bran to complement his bacon/sausage and egg fried in grease.

He lived to be 86 with no health issues, by the way, STEVE.

That made me smile!

My Gma ate a bowl of ice cream almost every day for my entire life. Then once my grandpa died and she moved into a retirement home it became a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup after dinner every night.

When she moved into assisted living at 90, it became a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup after both lunch and dinner. Not sure if she figured if it hadn't killed her by then  it wasn't going to, or if she figured she probably didn't have many years left and so she better eat all she could. 

Either way at both places the other ladies she ate with regularly all eventually started teasing her about not being sure they could even keep eating with her because somehow she ate a ton, plus all her ice cream and never gained a pound, and they all skipped dessert and were gaining weight!

If she had thought about adding some ice cream to her cereal in the morning like your grandpa, she probably would have done that too! ?

Edited by jakesykora
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 18

“Dads, if you are too busy, ask your wife to get it and listen to it. Whether your children are young or late teens, your children will bless you for investing in them.”

sarah? Did you check with your dad and get that line approved? I thought women folk can’t relate to dad/man stuff?

buying an audio book or even the real book won’t bless a child. I don’t get it. I’m from saint louis and it would be hard for a young guy to by a home debt free unless his parents helped out or it was a shady neighborhood. My older brother bought a house with two other guys and even that was debt free. Maybe in the 70/80’s. My dad was able to do then. He worked for a few years and saved enough to by a two bedroom 15k bungalow in the 70’s. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

buying an audio book or even the real book won’t bless a child. I don’t get it. I’m from saint louis and it would be hard for a young guy to by a home debt free unless his parents helped out or it was a shady neighborhood. My older brother bought a house with two other guys and even that was debt free. Maybe in the 70/80’s. My dad was able to do then. He worked for a few years and saved enough to by a two bedroom 15k bungalow in the 70’s. 

Oh God, an audiobook with Steve as narrator.  Shoot me now.

I love audiobooks, I think I'll pass on this one.  Shudder.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, mango_fandango said:

It’s another typical Maxwell post; provide basic info, without any explanation of how Steve lost the weight. Teri did say that they’ll give details on Steve’s diet... which could be in a couple of days, next week, next month... or never. 

Maybe we'll _finally_ get a long post dealing with following issues: 1) Stevehovah's diet, 2) cutting lettuce with pizza cutter, and 3) part two on how to deal with nay-sayers written by Joseph.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Maybe we'll _finally_ get a long post dealing with following issues: 1) Stevehovah's diet, 2) cutting lettuce with pizza cutter, and 3) part two on how to deal with nay-sayers written by Joseph.

What was the Joseph nay sayers thing?  Was that related to his broken engagement?

• Upvote 2

Buying a Home Debt Free is now an audio book.  It is such a crock of shit...buy a dumpy house, get your family members to volunteer to help you fix it up.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

“Dads, if you are too busy, ask your wife to get it and listen to it. Whether your children are young or late teens, your children will bless you for investing in them.”

let me get this straight--i's ok for my headship to tell me to order an audio book, but i can't remind him to order a pizza (or do it myself). 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

In my area a fixer-upper in foreclosure, being sold at auction, will still be in the neighborhood of $400K-$500K, and the actual neighborhood will be quite rough, not at all like where the Max compounds are located.

• Upvote 10

8 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

In my area a fixer-upper in foreclosure, being sold at auction, will still be in the neighborhood of $400K-$500K, and the actual neighborhood will be quite rough, not at all like where the Max compounds are located.

Same with my area. I have a client who just moved, her house is small they sold it for $500,000. It went fast because we live in a very sought after town & houses in my town don’t sell for that small amount.  

• Upvote 3

My region has some areas with Steve-type house, but at paid-in-cash prices, they are:  

a) in need of serious work, like professional contractor levels and way beyond handyman tasks  

b) very small; 1000 sf, 2 bed, 1bath, not a a lot of room for quivers 

c) on very small urban lots and frequently without parking. 

Twelve years ago when we were buying in an older (1940s) first-ring suburb, we looked at a very cheap house that was priced around 40% of comps, but it needed so much work that it was not habitable and the fix up costs would have brought the total in line with move-in ready houses. It was a nice design and layout, but there was a lot of interior mold, low grade vinyl windows that were coming apart, signs of a long term flood in the basement (about 18”), inoperable furnace and hot water, no kitchen appliances, and a badly deteriorating roof. We didn’t even get into structural issues.  Someone did buy it the following year, and it was several more months (almost another year) before people moved in. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What was the Joseph nay sayers thing?  Was that related to his broken engagement?

I think it was related to why he did not live at his own home (after his broken engagement) but at the Maxhell HQ instead.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic