IGNORED

Maxwell 31: InVESTing in Quality Bible Bindings

samurai_sarah

Coward Steve and Griselda Teri are in AL this weekend, Goofy Anna and Scary Mary are on what some might call a mission trip, so Poor Sarah and Forgotten Jesse are home alone maybe?.  Do they have to spend the night at one of the married brothers house or tag along to AL?

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 6

Perhaps Sarah had a sleep over for some of the nieces and nephews. ABC girls could bunk in with her and A and B boys could be Jesse’s accountability partners! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

Do schools run camps as well? My niece just returned from her week long grade 6 camp - they were in cabins (I think), and went on ropes courses, canoeing and other outdoorsy stuff. She was muddy and exhausted when they came home, but had a great time (despite forgetting her raincoat in a week when it poured.) Most of the camps I did growing up were school, church or guides - all subsidised by fundraising, and varied as to whether we were in tents, cabins or dorms, but usually at least 3-4 nights (my last one in year 11 was ten nights, in tents - apart from the night it poured and we ended up sleeping in the laundry after being flooded out. It's always a good idea to check you haven't accidentally pitched the tent in the exact place the water is going to go, even if it is flat there!) 

• Upvote 4

Yes, where I grew up, and where I live now both have "Outdoor Camp" for sixth graders.  The kids sleep in cabins with high schoolers as the counselors and there's a building where the meals are served.  Growing up in the Pacific North West, most of the activities are centered around trees, wildlife, the environment in general, etc.  No cost to parents, unless they had to buy sleeping bags and stuff for their kids.  I remember the parents who sent their kids with the cutsy sleeping bags that are designed for sleeping over at a friends house got a call telling them to rustle up something else fast.  There was no heat in the cabins and some of the kids had to double up for extra warmth.

When I sent my kids, they always got mad that they had to take a real sleeping bag with a flannel inner liner, and I made them take long underwear, extra socks, and a knitted hat to sleep in.  They were very happy when they realized they were sleeping comfortably through the night while some of the other kids were putting on every stitch of clothing they had come bedtime.  Night time in May is cold in these parts.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

You guys just gave me a happy memory that I had COMPLETELY forgotten - when I was in sixth grade (spring of '81) our classes went and spent a week at Land Between the Lakes in West TN.  It was my first real outdoorsy/hiking/nature camp experience and it was so much fun. ❤️

• Upvote 8

We did 6th grade camp too. But it was in the spring and rainy. So it wasn’t as much fun. Summer camp is better than spring camp where we lived.

• Upvote 4

My elementary school did 6th grade camp. It was the same week as Memorial Day. So no school on Monday & then camp Tuesday-Friday.  Seniors & some juniors from the high school were counselors. I wasn’t a counselor my senior year because it was the same week as my chorus concert. The year I was a senior they had a lot of juniors go as counselors because someone through a big party the summer before senior year & a whole bunch of kids were banned from going because the cops were called. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 6

We did 5th grade camp. My niece and nephew go to a school district in a neighboring district to the one I grew up in and they do a 5th grade camp as well. None of the schools my kids have gone to offer that kind of camp (i think my sister had to pay about $250 for the weeklong camp for her kids, and they had fundraisers throughout the year to offset the cost). 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

We did 5th grade camp. My niece and nephew go to a school district in a neighboring district to the one I grew up in and they do a 5th grade camp as well. None of the schools my kids have gone to offer that kind of camp (i think my sister had to pay about $250 for the weeklong camp for her kids, and they had fundraisers throughout the year to offset the cost). 

That’s good. My old elementary school goes up to 6th grade. So that is why we had 6th grade camp. I have clients who kids go to my old elementary school. I think they still have the camp but it’s only 2 days not 4. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, Jana814 said:

That’s good. My old elementary school goes up to 6th grade. So that is why we had 6th grade camp. I have clients who kids go to my old elementary school. I think they still have the camp but it’s only 2 days not 4. 

My sister's kids did 4 nights, they left on Monday and came back on Friday. I don't really remember the days we were gone, but it was about the same I think. The elementary schools in that area generally go to 5th grade.

• Upvote 6

The Girl Scout camping weekends I did in middle school were pretty hardcore: gathering firewood, building campfires from scratch, cooking all our meals over them, pitching tents, hiking a considerable distance to the drinking water pump (the water tasted and smelled like sulfur, so we put powdered lemonade mix in it), staging an emergency first aid drill. The only amenities were a couple of platforms on which to pitch the tents. During the one we did over Halloween weekend, the bucket of water we kept next to the campfire froze. All of us girls piled into a single tent like sardines to keep warm. Great memories!

• Upvote 11

35 minutes ago, Hane said:

The Girl Scout camping weekends I did in middle school were pretty hardcore: gathering firewood, building campfires from scratch, cooking all our meals over them, pitching tents, hiking a considerable distance to the drinking water pump (the water tasted and smelled like sulfur, so we put powdered lemonade mix in it), staging an emergency first aid drill. The only amenities were a couple of platforms on which to pitch the tents. During the one we did over Halloween weekend, the bucket of water we kept next to the campfire froze. All of us girls piled into a single tent like sardines to keep warm. Great memories!

Ha - your great memories would be material for a lawsuit against my parents for me :)  

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

I think some of the school districts around here have various day camps but I think you still have to pay a bit for them.  I don't know about the camp that my granddaughter attended last week at the School for the Deaf and Blind.  The school has no tuition for the regular school session and I think the state pays for room and board during the term as well.  The school is for the kids that need it in the entire state and most of the kids don't live close enough to commute.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Hane said:

The tents at my Girl Scout camp growing up we’re old canvas and leaked when it rained. I remember one year when it poured and we slept in the soaking wet. At least at 4H camp we had cabins with rickety old bunk beds. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@JermajestyDuggar, I remember camping out in our yard with my brother in his old canvas pup tent.  We had fun for a while touching the canvas to see if it was true that touching it would make it leak.  It's true and you definitely don't want to do too much.  

My oldest granddaughter is at GS camp this week, but I'm pretty sure they have cabins.  The local council has a site half a mile from my daughter's house for day camps and council functions in addition to their council offices.  

• Upvote 6

When I was in Senior Elementary in Ontario (grades 6 to 8 or what I think Americans call Middle School), the last full week of school was "elective week". You had the choice of going to a typical sleep away camp, a sleep away horse riding camp, a trip within Canada or a trip to the US. The camps were normal summer sleep away camps that my school rented out for the week. It is normal here for schools to rent out sleep away camps for their students (different schools do it at different times throughout the year. The camps usually have their permanent adult staff around and in late spring college kids around who help run the activities, life-guard, teach lessons, lead canoe excursions, etc. 

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The tents at my Girl Scout camp growing up we’re old canvas and leaked when it rained. I remember one year when it poured and we slept in the soaking wet. At least at 4H camp we had cabins with rickety old bunk beds. 

Heh we had the really old canvas possibly army surplus tents with interesting leaks too. They also had no floors and roll up sides - one night I woke up to discover that I was sliding out of the tent and very slowly down the hill on my lilo - just enough water was going through the tent to make it slippery enough to take off. I think that camp we ended up sleeping in the camp kitchen. I did have dry camping trips, honest - the funniest memories are the ones where we got rained out though. Very grateful we don't have freezing weather though - it's getting down to very low Celcius temps now and I am cold!

• Upvote 6

So I just read the Farhers Day tribute. They think it is bad that Steve enjoyed model planes and sailboats? Why cant they still have hobbies that cost money whike being Christian? So Terris sacrifice was having more kids at a cost to her mental health. How is that a good thing? I just do not get it at all. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

On 6/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, DooDahDame said:

OT: I just read that Ellie had been bred and they will be doing an ultrasound in July. I wonder what took them so long? Did Stevehova perform the marriage ceremony? Was the groom of their faith? Excitement must abound in Maxhell!

So help me I stopped to try to remember which daughter-in-law Ellie was.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24

According to the latest Titus2 blog, Anna Marie is pregnant. She is due in February 2020.

• Sad 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

Wonder why Sarah didn’t share all the individual portraits on their blog?  It would be nice if she did on her next blog post. I’m sure the group shot is a keeper for the grandparents. Fun for the cousins to look back on in later years, too. I am hoping the February Chrisanna kid is a boy. 

• Upvote 5

Do Chris and Anna Marie usually share pregnancy news that early? nEven due at the early part of the month she can't be more than 8ish week, right? 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic