IGNORED

Bears?

HarryPotterFan

I love that we have a thread on bears.

Bear defense, bear subculture. Yay bears.

That is all.

• I Agree 4

29 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I love that we have a thread on bears.

Bear defense, bear subculture. Yay bears.

That is all.

I came into this fully expecting a, “Dwight Schrute: Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica,” appreciation thread. I’m still not disappointed though. FJ is a delightful place to be sometimes. ?

• Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

Upstate NY here, at any time, except the dead of winter, I may see a bear in my yard.  Almost every single time they heard me coming first and what I see is their tail end :)  It is true you shouldn't hike through the woods without making noise, and quite frankly you shouldn't be hiking solo, so the talking with your hiking partner can be enough.  It lets all the critters (not only bears!) know you are coming.  While up here we expect to see deer, fox, bobcats, bear, rattlesnakes and an occasional fisher cat (I have heard them, and hope never to run into one!) the making noise gives them all a head's up.  Also, it is said there are no mountain lion or wolves here, but I have seen both.  The wolf wandering my woods, and the cougar was a young one on my back porch. (just where WAS momma though?)   

I love living where I can see these creatures, I just hope to see a moose...I really want to see a moose!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On 6/5/2019 at 2:50 AM, PumaLover said:

I really, really want the Thylacine to still exist. It's one of the pages I follow because I'm a nerd. Not sure if they would be considered Megafauna though. But an apex predator, maybe?

@PennySycamore the eastern puma was extirpated in the early 19th century but western pumas are slowly making their way back and recolonizing. I believe the eastern puma was officially declared extinct within the last 10 years or so. A lot of people fear them but they are so beneficial to the environment, keeping deer in check. Here in California, the wolves are slowly started to creep back and inhabit our wildlands too. A lot of people hate them and fear them (cougars too) but they really are amazing and beneficial creatures.

I was giddy with excitement to photograph a rattlesnake on our property last week. Most people up here kill them on sight but it's a creature that deserves to live, too.

rattler.jpg

I love rattlesnakes.  They really are my favorite snakes.  Yes, they have venom.  But they are not aggressive, although people think they are.  They just need to be treated with a great deal of respect!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Briefly said:

I love rattlesnakes.  They really are my favorite snakes.  Yes, they have venom.  But they are not aggressive, although people think they are.  They just need to be treated with a great deal of respect!

Yes! They are awesome. I keep looking for that one but haven't seen it again. Someone in my FB reptile group posted a picture of a beautiful speckled rattlesnake and now I want to see one, but we don't have them around here. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, xlurker said:

an occasional fisher cat (I have heard them, and hope never to run into one!)

Why not? They're only, what, 15 lbs or less?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

Why not? They're only, what, 15 lbs or less?

little but ferocious!

• Upvote 2

On 6/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, Briefly said:

I appreciate that they give a warning and would prefer to leave rather than attack. Unlike some snakes. *looks pointedly at tiger snakes and taipans* 

• Upvote 3

On 6/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, Terrie said:

Can I just note that now that's Pride month, I am mightily restraining myself from soooo many jokes?

My youngest daughter is an out-and-proud Goldilocks.

• Upvote 2

Here's a bear visiting the University Sports Complex in the next town over. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 9:34 AM, Terrie said:

Can I just note that now that's Pride month, I am mightily restraining myself from soooo many jokes?

Late to the party but about 10 or 11 years ago I looked up "bear wrestling" on youtube because I was looking for a video of a human guy wrestling a brown bear.

Aaaaaand that's how a young, naive PopRox learned about bear subculture. ?

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

Black bear is species that can be black, brown, rufus/cinnamon and even blondish. 

Youtube of a mom black bear (sow) aggressively chasing a random male bear (boar) up a tree.  I could not believe how fast and high those bears could climb.  Apparently, mom bears with cubs respond with extreme aggression to males they encounter, because males can and do attack cubs.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc

(why does fj no longer show a youtube link as the actual video?)

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

(why does fj no longer show a youtube link as the actual video?)

I think it's a youtube thing in this case. I tried posting the link a different way, and I got this message:

20190712_153310.thumb.png.615ac0e87c499cb095ffdf3cdfcb35de.png

That's my non-technical best guess. If it gets to the point you want to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about, remember to post it as a question in the tech forum. :kitty-wink:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
resized image
  • Upvote 1