IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 14: Another Grand-Duggar on the Way (Miscarriage Content Warning)

Georgiana

I guess with an AA/AS in pre-nursing she could be a NA? I was an NA in HS. Probably depends on your state.

She likely did receive a better overall, basic education than the Duggars. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It just seems strange to me to get an associates degree in pre-nursing when you can become an RN with an associates degree in nursing and an LPN with less education.  Anyone with more nursing-related experience want to explain why that could make sense?

In the county I live in, our community (county) college, which only offers AS/AA level degrees has a 2+ year waiting list for their nursing (RN) program. You cannot even enter the waiting list until your pre-reqs for the program are completed (and within a certain GPA.) I could see a pre-nursing degree being a way to pass time. However, most people I know who've opted for the associates degree/RN program have done the pre-reqs and entered the waitlist period and worked or done productive things with the time waiting... not just taking more "filler" elective type courses to round out a degree; they've simply waited to complete the degree in nursing when an opening in the program is available.

Others I know who are going the four year/BSN route have done two years in community college taking the same pre-requisites and then transferred to a larger state school to complete schooling (this is typically done as a more budget friendly option.) Most don't get an associates degree at all.

HOWEVER - NJ has a law that college credits earned getting an associate's degree from county colleges are automatically transferrable to 4-year in-state colleges; meaning if you take the same courses but don't officially apply for and get the associates degree, they are not guaranteed to be transferable credits to your 4 year college. In this case, had a "pre-nursing" degree been a thing, that would be the benefit. Losing credits from transferring is the WORST. I don't know about Georgia rules. 

TLDR: Lauren has a college degree. She does not have a nursing degree. She is not a nurse. She is a big fat liar. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

Someone on her post asked why she didn't practice and she said she would need to take her boards to do so+it's not really her passion. 

Would she be able to take the certifying exam and practice as an RN with her degree? 

(I'm only familiar with Canada where you need 4 years in a BSN or BN program to practice as an RN. Or equivalency (ie bridging over and taking extra courses after completing an LPN program) 

Why wouldn't she just say "I would need extra courses to practice and it's not something I'm passionate about pursuing." 

I don't understand why you would inflate it when you don't want to practice anyway. 

I wonder how Abbie feels about Lauren's "Nursing" degree. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Abbie who put a lot more time and effort getting her education but evidently just dropped everything when she got a man needs to stay in her lane:)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Someone on her post asked why she didn't practice and she said she would need to take her boards to do so+it's not really her passion. 

Would she be able to take the certifying exam and practice as an RN with her degree? 

If she solely has a degree in "pre-nursing," no. All it means is she took the basic sciences: biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, etc. and some english and math courses that are required to enter a nursing program and amassed the ~70 college credits required to equal an associate's degree. 

She has done zero nursing courses and has acquired ZERO CLINICAL SKILLS. She is qualified to do nothing (other than continue her education); she could not even register to sit for a board examination. She does not meet the requirements. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

My family lives in the same area of Arkansas as the Duggar’s.. my niece graduated in 2016 and took “pre-nursing” her Senior year of high school. It was a mixture of classwork and the 2nd half of the year they also did work at a local nursing home. At the end of the course, they had a CNA license. 

So, Lauren could have done something similiar or maybe she did take nursing classes at a community college. Our local one offers nursing for LPN. She would have to sit for boards for that, if I remember correctly. 

I am just not clear on her education level..I’m sure it’s been discussed, I just don’t keep up with their threads as much as I do others. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

In the US, you can be an associate’s level RN (ADN) or a bachelor’s level (BSN). I just graduated with my BSN a few weeks ago, so this stuff is all fresh in my mind. Both degrees require specific nursing courses and clinical hours. Like mentioned above, many colleges have a long wait list for the nursing program. Students can complete the prerequisite courses while waiting to get in. I went the BSN route because it was faster for me. My friend who got her associates spent more time than I did total between prerequisites, wait listing, and then getting in the program. And a lot of hospitals are shifting towards wanting BSN grads (or will pay for you to get it). And you still have to sit for the state boards after graduation to be an actual RN. 

Long story short, Lauren took classes that would qualify her for a nursing program. She is not a nurse. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Hey guys, their totally ‘legit’ baby registry is available for you to buy stuff for them! Freshly posted to their IG.

She’s definitely learned from her SILs..too bad money can’t buy class.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 4

it’s freaking tacky to put your registry in your bio. All they’re missing is a story or a post with -link in bio!- 

and you know the humpers will buy stuff for them

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Is it possible Lauren simply got a CNA certificate? Its 12 week course (here in the US) to get your certificate/license and that allows you to take vitals, and do all the basic level, usually gross, care that nurses don't want to, or have time to do.  They can do patient histories, take vitals, transfer patents in & out of beds, to toilets, or chairs, where every they need to be. An LPN is upwards of 18 MONTHS of school, where an RN is generally 2 years of school (an AA/AS degree), plus the nursing boards. 

• Upvote 2

Lauren certainly had the opportunity to get a CNA. But she has never made reference to it and made it very very clear in that clip with her sister at school that she really didn't like nursing or school. There was a distinct impression given that Lauren was basically there to have something to do and be Lily's accountabili-buddy.

So many blankets on that registry. And infant hats and shoes. 18 burp cloths. 3 carseat covers.

Really tacky to put it in your bio. Emily Post would die.

Edited by theotherelise
more bec snark
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7H8L4P?colid=1HAK299UPUY34&coliid=I2TCN2FKBRO085&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_image_link

Are they pranking us with this hat/bow from their registry?    

Edited to add:  Its a 6 pack!  Snark gold!

Edited by freshlemonade
add on
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7H8L4P?colid=1HAK299UPUY34&coliid=I2TCN2FKBRO085&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_image_link

Are they pranking us with this hat/bow from their registry?    

Edited to add:  Its a 6 pack!  Snark gold!

I hope someone buys them it, it will be hilarious to see the baby in that hat/bow. 

• Upvote 5

If she didn't like nursing, good luck with your eleventy billion children. Puking, pooping of all kinds, fevers, illness, injuries, bleeding, crying, and so on. Welcome to raising a family. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

Well she never did any nursing, she just didn’t have any interest in it theoretically and also hated school.

I could never be a nurse, but I don’t think that means I couldn’t be a good parent. Cleaning up the bodily fluids of someone you love is quite different from doing so with a disgruntled old man who keeps calling you sweetheart. Also, I’ve never been naturally good at memorizing and can be really squeamish. 

But you do what you need to do in your own life. And then you show respect for the people who have the skill and temperament to be nurses, because not everyone should go into it. A good nurse can make all the difference.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 7

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

Did they even know if the products of conception were, in fact, a boy? 

Do they keep track of every sexual encounter to celebrate the byproducts and what those “could have been”?

These people all need to get out into the big world, preferably the working world, and get some much needed perspective on life.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HeadshipRegent said:

“Big Brother Asa” got a cake at Lauren’s baby shower, because of course. 

Just saw this and came here to see what y'all thought.  I've been trying to be understanding about her loss, but this is really out there. Are they going to have a cake for Asa at their kid's first birthday too? 

Joy was there. I feel so bad for her. 

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I just saw the cake on Instagram and of course came right here. I was so confused that the cake said big brother and it took me a few seconds to piece together that yup they actually did that. 

Lauren is in serious need of someone having a sit down with her, because this can't be healthy for anyone. Her, their daughter or any of her SILs who have also lost pregnancies who must be reminded every.single.time. that Lauren talks about baby Asa.

I can't help but feel like she has gone beyond grieving into some strange theater of the absurd type of celebration? 

Edited by LacyMay
Added content
  • Upvote 30
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

I find the cake to be a little strange. I understand the sentiment of wanting to acknowledge the baby that was lost but that could have been done in a more...subtle way I guess, like wearing a rainbow sash or pin, or maybe having a special balloon in memory of the baby. As a guest I wouldn't even feel like I should eat that cake. 

Also to play devil's advocate, it is possible she didn't know about the cake beforehand and someone else planning the shower surprised her with it.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I feel for Lauren, but I think she might need professional counseling.  I'm not talking about going to her pastor but seeing a real, honest-to-goodness counselor.  I don't even think that Michelle went this far when talking about Caleb.  A lot of the fundie mothers name their babies lost in miscarriage and have funeral services.  They should do what is right for them, but I don't think most of these moms continue to celebrate or constantly make reference to a lost child. 

I do worry about Josiah and Lauren's future children.  It's going to get confusing for them.  I don't have kids, so I probably shouldn't speak on this, but I'm not sure how I would have felt if my mother kept bringing up a lost sibling during celebrations, holidays, etc.  There's probably a good age-appropriate time for Lauren and Josiah to explain to their other kids, but I don't know?

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Also to play devil's advocate, it is possible she didn't know about the cake beforehand and someone else planning the shower surprised her with it.

Goodness I hope not. That would be even worse than the idea that Lauren did it herself. Even with her being super open about it/involving Asa on everything showing up to her shower and being surprised with a cake for a baby she lost could be awful. Also incredibly insensitive to anyone else there who may have lost a baby (Joy)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Curious unlocked and locked this topic