IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Roasted bananas sound gross. Plus they look like they are cooking up a big batch of dildos.

E382EAE0-2338-4908-8414-5B44ACD68B91.jpeg

Roasted bananas (with chocolate buttons poked into the skins so that the chocolate melts) remind me of Guide camp. Very happy memories and actually the bananas were delicious ?

• Upvote 8

On 8/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, Angelface said:

Roasted bananas (with chocolate buttons poked into the skins so that the chocolate melts) remind me of Guide camp. Very happy memories and actually the bananas were delicious ?

The only time I had them, the person making them decided that they needed to roast for 30+ minutes despite me repeatedly asking if they were sure about that (and we were camping somewhere without cell service, so no way to double check!)

And that is how I learned that if you like your bananas on the chalky side, 30 minutes is the perfect amount of cooking time!

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3

Chalky? Ewwww. That's not a word that should go with banana. I'd think a roasted banana would get kinda gooey. Not my thing but I see the appeal ??

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

The hot dog roast pic looks like something from Dick's Last Resort.

Allison has bequeathed her wisdom, at the ripe old age of 25, to wayward teens who aren't mature enough to enjoy coffee, in today's post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Allison has bequeathed her wisdom, at the ripe old age of 25, to wayward teens who aren't mature enough to enjoy coffee, in today's post. 

It’s is so fucking condescending that I can’t stand to read it without grimacing. Ugh. She’s so awful at blogging. 

I’m pretty much positive she’s in a relationship. Only a young fundie woman in a serious relationship would be this overwhelmingly smug. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 8/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Angelface said:

Get a turkey baster with a needle on the end of it, and inject honey into bananas before roasting. I personally hate bananas, but my kid tells me it's really good.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Who doesn't like being told to "Enjoy the unique limitations" of being your age? :doh:

Also, she encourages her reader to memorize the entire New Testament, then follows the verses she cites herself with "(reference)" I mean come on.

• Upvote 5

On 8/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s is so fucking condescending that I can’t stand to read it without grimacing. Ugh. She’s so awful at blogging. 

I’m pretty much positive she’s in a relationship. Only a young fundie woman in a serious relationship would be this overwhelmingly smug. 

While I attend to agree with you, I think in case of the Bontrager children there is still a solid chance that she isn't in a relationship and just simply smug AF. Look at her brother Josh: father of one child, married for about 2 years and yet he promotes himself as someone who knows everything about having the perfect fundie family life. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

Allison’s recent blog post is all about her shift from “work always comes first” which is very much a Mennonite and Amish mentality. Even though her parents are no longer Mennonite, I can pretty much guarantee they raised their kids with that mentality. And it shows. The Bontragers put their traveling schedule and farm first. You can tell. They wait months to meet a new grandchild because they are touring. Allison still goes along on these tours even though it’s extremely obvious she doesn’t want to. Work is first. Of course the Bon parents can dress it up and say, “it’s a ministry so we are actually putting god first.” But that’s BS in my opinion. I’m glad Allison is trying to shift that ingrained belief she was taught her whole life. But I think it’s going to take a lot of time and effort for her. Thankfully I think Chelsy is already showing signs of getting away from that belief. The lack of trim around her windows in her home for the past 18 months tells us that, lol. 

• Upvote 6

I can't believe we are heading into Labor Day weekend without a next Bontrager grandblessing on the way announcement yet

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I can't believe we are heading into Labor Day weekend without a next Bontrager grandblessing on the way announcement yet

Speaking of Labor Day weekend. They normally have a “turning hearts” conference that weekend but they announced earlier this year they aren’t doing it anymore. Now they are just focusing on doing the family camp weekend in the fall instead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

On 8/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, HereticHick said:

I'm a little shocked by that as well. Maybe they doing a "Surprise! New Grandblessings" post after the baby is born. Maybe all parties involved are going that route. I can see Josh making a big deal out of it on his blog doing numerous posts about keeping a pregnancy a secret for nine months in some strange biblical way. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the second week of the Bontragers’ family camp. The Wissmanns are there too. I’m genuinely surprised they posted a short clip on their Instagram story of Liz winning an arm wrestling contest against another girl. The Bons have always posted pictures and videos of only boys arm wrestling. I’m surprised they aren’t ashamed of Liz doing something so masculine. 

• Upvote 3

According to Alison's Insta, she went to "Europe" after all--apparently the Swiss "retreat" that she wasn't able to convince any other fundy maidens to sign up for. It is so odd that she has shared nothing from the trip yet.

Could there be a suitor in Switzerland?

• Upvote 3

Regarding the lack of window dressings, it’s possible they (Chelsy) prefer the simpler look rather than it being some kind of laziness or haven’t-bothered-getting-around-to-it-yet. I have friends who have the same kind of look in their main rooms and it’s because they prefer not having curtains (This is why I find it amusing anytime “They don’t have CURTAINS!!!” comes up).

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Regarding the lack of window dressings, it’s possible they (Chelsy) prefer the simpler look rather than it being some kind of laziness or haven’t-bothered-getting-around-to-it-yet. I have friends who have the same kind of look in their main rooms and it’s because they prefer not having curtains (This is why I find it amusing anytime “They don’t have CURTAINS!!!” comes up).

It’s not the curtains. It’s the wood trim around the windows and back door that’s missing. Steve would never allow missing trim in his home for that long. He would weep!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Here’s an example. They took down the trim to paint and put down flooring but never put it back up. They also never painted the gray behind the counters because they were probably planning on putting up a backsplash. They should probably just paint the backsplash area gray and say heck with the tile since it’s not necessary. 

528B8AFA-5E4C-4221-8E61-E6131DF2414B.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s not the curtains. It’s the wood trim around the windows and back door that’s missing. Steve would never allow missing trim in his home for that long. He would weep!

Thank you! I’ve always thought it was just that they didn’t have curtains. Guess I should zoom next time. ?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Thank you! I’ve always thought it was just that they didn’t have curtains. Guess I should zoom next time. ?

Yeah I don’t really care much about the paper blinds. They are cheap and easy so I get it. I kept a lot of the window treatments that were already in our home when we bought it because I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money on new ones. 

• Upvote 2

I am not a huge fan of curtains and I don't feel strongly about wood trim around windows. Growing up in CA most of the windows didn't have any kids of wood trim, just a a few really old houses. Our current house (South west United States) doesn't have trimmed windows, but our former house in the upper midwest did. However, one big difference in our current house and John and Chelsy's is our windows are finished with drywall and painted so it doesn't look unfinished. Aside from the kids' bedrooms we only have wood blinds on the windows currently. We have only lived in the house for about 7 weeks now and we may change window treatments at some point but it is totally not a priority. However, if I was in their house I would have to at least make the areas look finished and paint the walls under the cabinets. I mean I get being on a budget but the paint can't be that expensive for such a small space and the windows have been unfinished for a loooong time. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I am not a huge fan of curtains and I don't feel strongly about wood trim around windows. Growing up in CA most of the windows didn't have any kids of wood trim, just a a few really old houses. Our current house (South west United States) doesn't have trimmed windows, but our former house in the upper midwest did. However, one big difference in our current house and John and Chelsy's is our windows are finished with drywall and painted so it doesn't look unfinished. Aside from the kids' bedrooms we only have wood blinds on the windows currently. We have only lived in the house for about 7 weeks now and we may change window treatments at some point but it is totally not a priority. However, if I was in their house I would have to at least make the areas look finished and paint the walls under the cabinets. I mean I get being on a budget but the paint can't be that expensive for such a small space and the windows have been unfinished for a loooong time. 

Also there could be air leaking in the cracks around the door. It looks like that might be a new door. Installing a new door will leave tiny gaps where cold air can leak in the winter. We had our door replaced and we told the guy to fill every tiny gap so we don’t get cold air leaking in. Then he covered it with trim. Hopefully they fully insulated around the door and just haven’t put the trim up. 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic