IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

That comment was painful. I interpreted it as "the little kids are allowed to 'help' with any chore at their age but eventually they'll get assignments based on gender," but that's not better.

Edited by albireo
brain fart
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So Cass had her baby in late April, Chelsy is due in June, and Lina is due in late August. The Bons will have a new grandbaby every other month. I don’t think Bryn will have her second until next year.

It always feels like Bryn and Mitchell are somehow 'second place'. Their wedding seemed to be less fancy than the double wedding, it took longer for them to get pregnant, etc. 

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Wallace Bradford and Winston Marshall. 

Joshua really is obsessed with manly sounding names. The Bons are ridiculously obsessed with masculinity and finding ways to worship it. 

Once they'll start having girls they'll have really cute and girly names.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

It always feels like Bryn and Mitchell are somehow 'second place'. Their wedding seemed to be less fancy than the double wedding, it took longer for them to get pregnant, etc

Maybe the double wedding was more fancy because Bowers paid for it. Bontragers didn't spend too much in Chelsy's wedding and many fundie weddings are quite frugal. 

I don't think Mitch and Bryn are second place. It's just that Joshua is the obnoxiuous toddlerman that wants to be the center of attention in the family, while Mitch lives quieter. 

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

It always feels like Bryn and Mitchell are somehow 'second place'. Their wedding seemed to be less fancy than the double wedding, it took longer for them to get pregnant, etc. 

Once they'll start having girls they'll have really cute and girly names.

Joshua's girls will have a terrible childhood. I hope he only has boys. I know all the girls are going to suffer in such a sexist cult, but there are levels. And Bontragers, especially Joshua, are on the top.

• Upvote 17

I honestly would have preferred to have Bryn’s wedding. I wouldn’t want a double wedding. Even with my sister. Plus it was the manly Bontrager show. Both grooms had to speak and so did daddy. I don’t remember Mitch and Bryn’s wedding but I imagine there weren’t as many manly speeches. Mitch is a Bontrager so he has all the same beliefs. But he can’t be as completely insufferable as Josh. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I don't think Mitch and Bryn are second place. It's just that Joshua is the obnoxiuous toddlerman that wants to be the center of attention in the family, while Mitch lives quieter. 

Both Mitch and Carson escaped the public eye as soon as they found a way out...and to a large extend have remained that way.  Neither seem to feel the need to be 'out there'.  Joshua always seem to be over-compensating for something, maybe he never quite came to terms with not being the eldest boy!

There's something about Mitch and Bryn as a couple that I like; not their beliefs (unless there's been a huge change), but they seem a better fit and more real (for want of a better way to phrase it) than certainly Joshua and Cassidy.  They actually appear to genuinely like being around each other, I hope they do!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly would have preferred to have Bryn’s wedding. I wouldn’t want a double wedding. Even with my sister. Plus it was the manly Bontrager show. Both grooms had to speak and so did daddy. I don’t remember Mitch and Bryn’s wedding but I imagine there weren’t as many manly speeches. Mitch is a Bontrager so he has all the same beliefs. But he can’t be as completely insufferable as Josh. 

Is there anyone as insufferable as Josh? Even among his fundie crowd peers, he reaches levels of insufferable I've rarely seen.

Peter Bradrick, maybe? At least back in the days of his royalty? Others in the VF crowd - Dougie & his fans were quite, um, flamboyant in their hubris. But, outside VF, which is the only comparisons I can come up with right now, are there any others?

If Josh were in my circle, I'd never be able to hold back. Just looking at him makes me on edge. 

• Upvote 10

50 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Is there anyone as insufferable as Josh? Even among his fundie crowd peers, he reaches levels of insufferable I've rarely seen.

Peter Bradrick, maybe? At least back in the days of his royalty? Others in the VF crowd - Dougie & his fans were quite, um, flamboyant in their hubris. But, outside VF, which is the only comparisons I can come up with right now, are there any others?

If Josh were in my circle, I'd never be able to hold back. Just looking at him makes me on edge. 

I agree. Either Cass is the most patient woman in the world, or she is very insecure and thinks she can’t do any better. I feel bad for her.

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, Syriana said:

Joshua always seem to be over-compensating for something, maybe he never quite came to terms with not being the eldest boy!

He is probably overcompensating for something but I get the feeling that he is doing a lot of grandstanding because he wants to go into politics. His whole manner strikes me as a calculated attempt to build a 'brand' to sell to the electorate. I'd never vote for someone like that but there are a lot of fundies who might.

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I don't know if speculating on a fundie's sexuality is permissible on FJ but Josh kinda pings my gaydar.  All into acting manly and running the manly man retreat and such.  Like he is suppressing something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I think he likely always wanted to stand out amongst his 5 brothers. Mitch is the oldest, Carson is the hardworking one, Denver is the handsome one, Lincoln Taylor is the smart one, and Hudson is the youngest and cutest one. Where does that leave Josh? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, browngrl said:

He is probably overcompensating for something but I get the feeling that he is doing a lot of grandstanding because he wants to go into politics. His whole manner strikes me as a calculated attempt to build a 'brand' to sell to the electorate. I'd never vote for someone like that but there are a lot of fundies who might.

The thought of Joshua Bontrager pursuing public office is as horrifying as it is probable - I have no doubt that he'll try for it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Syriana said:

The thought of Joshua Bontrager pursuing public office is as horrifying as it is probable - I have no doubt that he'll try for it.

Let’s just hope he fails so miserably that he never runs again.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

What really irks me about these fundi-political aspirations is that they don't do any of the work on the front end. If they really want to go into politics- go to college and study political science. Go to law school. Work in entry level positions. Not, that I really want any of them in office; but if this is truly their dream then why aren't they willing to do the work to make it possible? Instead they get "in" to politics by finding a politician with similar beliefs and using that as leverage to join them. It is just so strange to me that being in politics is a fundi approved career; but going to college so they can be more successful in politics is a no go. 

• Upvote 18

29 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

What really irks me about these fundi-political aspirations is that they don't do any of the work on the front end. If they really want to go into politics- go to college and study political science. Go to law school. Work in entry level positions. Not, that I really want any of them in office; but if this is truly their dream then why aren't they willing to do the work to make it possible? Instead they get "in" to politics by finding a politician with similar beliefs and using that as leverage to join them. It is just so strange to me that being in politics is a fundi approved career; but going to college so they can be more successful in politics is a no go. 

Colleges are liberal conversion camps. 

Getting into politics means they can change laws to suit their religion.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

What really irks me about these fundi-political aspirations is that they don't do any of the work on the front end. If they really want to go into politics- go to college and study political science. 

Josh has a BA, according to his blog.  The post is titled -Should I get a college degree.

from the post-

Rather than put life on hold for four years, I chose the online option, which enabled me to continue with the family farm and traveling singing ministry. I began with a smattering of CLEP and DSST tests, and then enrolled in Thomas Edison State University. At the end, I obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Communications. I picked that specific degree because I figured that communication was a valuable skill even if I never used it for politics.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Josh has a BA, according to his blog.  The post is titled -Should I get a college degree.

from the post-

Rather than put life on hold for four years, I chose the online option, which enabled me to continue with the family farm and traveling singing ministry. I began with a smattering of CLEP and DSST tests, and then enrolled in Thomas Edison State University. At the end, I obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Communications. I picked that specific degree because I figured that communication was a valuable skill even if I never used it for politics.

That’s the only way a Bontrager could go to college. Online only. Because if he had left home and gone to college, he would be influenced by dirty liberals. I imagine Lincoln Taylor will do online college as well. He seems to have a great memory.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM, ElizaB said:

Most political aspirants have to get up the ladder the hard way unless born into a political family, i.e. Kennedy or Bush. That means many hours of lower level work volunteering for campaigns and issues or running for very minor offices and demonstrating ability to engage people and get your name out there.  You have to show capacity to work with people with whom you may not have much in common. Takes years of effort to  build a base. I sense Joshua would like to stand out among his brothers but he just doesn't have the right temperament for politics. 

Edited by petrushka
omitted letter
  • Upvote 6

On 4/26/2020 at 2:55 PM, Themanda Duggar said:

from the post-

What irks me the most about Josh saying he wants to go into politics with a communications degree is that most communication degrees don't have political science classes. Yes, having communications is a valuable skill. But, the college I went to a communications degree required a lot of study involving the media and speech writing. Those two are valuable for a political career. But, there was only one class that looked at politics that talked about propaganda. It's not just the political science classes that Josh missed out on, but law classes to give help him understand that the U.S. constitution doesn't just apply to Christians trying to save America from the evil Atheists. 

Josh's chance of holding a political office sound very slim. Not only does he have a degree that, most likely, provided minimal to no coursework for a career. But, he has never done any internships in an office like Joy Anna Duggar did. The only experience he has is working on the Ted Cruz campaign by working phone banks and walking around handing fliers while touring. That is it. Josh running on a Save America for Jesus slogan won't be enough. Yes, I do know there are some politicians who have gotten office with little to no experience like Trump.

But, when Josh enters into political races he is going to be up against people who have either held office for a long period of time, have more experience, are known around town (so to say), and/or have the education. Josh works on the family farm, doesn't have many connections in Iowa outside of the Bontragers church and conservative outlets, and doesn't have the education or experience. I can very much see Josh aiming for a seat higher than a small town council. Hopefully, he talks with his father in law as Curtis Bowers managed to serve in the Idaho senate and learn how he worked through the ranks. 

P.S. I know some people are going to read this and say Jim Bob Duggar managed to get into the Arkansas house. However, the Duggar family started to gain national recognition for the amount of children they have. Personally, I think the news crews and national media helped Jim Bob get into office in Arkansas at least. 

On 4/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, browngrl said:

I really think his overcompensating has to do with his political aspirations. He didn't go to a regular college and get a degree like most politicians do. He doesn't seem to have a job outside of the family band and family run businesses. In the end, I really believe Josh wanted to go to a regular college which would have allowed him to get a regular job. But, Chelsy has written in past posts on her blog, had written about nixing college due to the possibility of being in debt for years. Chances are Josh took the cheapest way out in a program that allowed him to have a flexible schedule as the family traveled a lot. 

• Upvote 6

It is interesting that his degree is from Thomas Edison. They tend to accept more distance learning and other sources of education for credit than most other school. My husband got his BS from there while he was still active duty Air Force because the accepted all of his CCAF credits and gave him credit for military  tech school and OJT. Also, the classes are more flexible and start every month so it is easier to work around deployments and non typical work schedules It did get him into a very competitive state university for graduate school so it was solid enough (for my husband at least). Quite a few of our military friends went that route. UMUC (I think they recently changed the name) is also a popular one. 

Edited by nvmbr02
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

But, when Josh enters into political races he is going to be up against people who have either held office for a long period of time, have more experience, are known around town (so to say), and/or have the education. Josh works on the family farm, doesn't have many connections in Iowa outside of the Bontragers church and conservative outlets, and doesn't have the education or experience. I can very much see Josh aiming for a seat higher than a small town council. Hopefully, he talks with his father in law as Curtis Bowers managed to serve in the Idaho senate and learn how he worked through the ranks.

I think you mean hopefully he WON'T talk to his father-in-law -- he doesn't need any hints. I'd much prefer he continue to do it all wrong!!!

You're very right about your assessment of his education and skills. Unfortunately, I think there's a chance that he could rally the "Save America for Jesus" crowd successfully enough to get a nomination for something, and once he's on the ballot with a "R" beside his name there are people who will vote for him without any deeper consideration of his actual background and skills. It happens, even here in librul Canada. It's scary.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I think you mean hopefully he WON'T talk to his father-in-law -- he doesn't need any hints. I'd much prefer he continue to do it all wrong!!!

You're very right about your assessment of his education and skills. Unfortunately, I think there's a chance that he could rally the "Save America for Jesus" crowd successfully enough to get a nomination for something, and once he's on the ballot with a "R" beside his name there are people who will vote for him without any deeper consideration of his actual background and skills. It happens, even here in librul Canada. It's scary.

Yeah, partially what I meant. Josh and the family have made it very clear Josh wants to go into politics and run. If he does, then he will fail miserably on a public platform. Yes, I do know the "Save America for Jesus" platform can get the attention of many to secure a nomination. When I meant he talk to his father in law he gets the right advice so he doesn't publicly humiliate himself and his family to the point where it affects their personal lives on a daily basis. Josh jumping into politics too fast while shooting too high can screw him, the Bontragers, and the Bowers family over. So, when I meant he ask for advice, he gets the right amount to the point where he has to go into hiding from shame. I don't agree with the families nor do I want Josh to get into public office. But, this is an uneducated young man who seems ready to dive into the shallow end head first with no back up plan. 

• Upvote 2

Interestingly, Curtis Bowers never won an election.  He was appointed to the Idaho House of Representatives by the governor in April of 2007, and was done in December 2008.   He was appointed to finish someone else’s unfinished term.  He lost in the next Rep primary, and never even ran in a general election.  I think we can be reasonably comfortable with him serving as Josh’s political advisor.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Josh named his son after Winston Churchill? Seems pretty on brand. :think:

Spoiler

Churchill.jpg

Edited by llg1234
Put the pic behind a spoiler
  • WTF 4

Of the 4 Bontrager wives, Bryn is actually the only one with any sort of post-School of the Dining Room Table education. She went away to a small bible college in California & got a BA. It may have been a laughable education, but it still got her away from her family, siblings & small town Iowa for a while. She also had been giving music lessons and working at the Bontragers' motel before she married.

Even if some people consider Mitchell & Bryn 2nd place, I'm not sure they do. I hope that they were happy that they DIDN'T get pregnant right away!

• Upvote 10

15 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Of the 4 Bontrager wives, Bryn is actually the only one with any sort of post-School of the Dining Room Table education. She went away to a small bible college in California & got a BA. It may have been a laughable education, but it still got her away from her family, siblings & small town Iowa for a while. She also had been giving music lessons and working at the Bontragers' motel before she married.

Even if some people consider Mitchell & Bryn 2nd place, I'm not sure they do. I hope that they were happy that they DIDN'T get pregnant right away!

Although Bryn’s family is fundie, I have hope they won’t have a gigantic family and will let their daughters go to college. Bryn only has 3 brothers so I imagine her parents may not be quiverful. Speaking of her family, I think the youngest brother is engaged now to a fundie girl we’ve never heard of.

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic