IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I've thought about although it has more to do with having read Flowers in the Attic that book can kind of skew things.  Sometimes its hard not to hear Fundies talking about going on dates with their brothers and the weirdly close pictures some of them do and think about that book. Its not just Fundies there's been other things scenes from TV shows, books and movies that have made me think of that book. Almost always accidentally but I'm always happy when I'm not the only one asking if a particular scene seemed a little too Flowers in the Attic. Plus there's a lot of religious fanatics in those books. 

The thing is, I actually think it’s nice that some of these fundies have close relationships with their siblings. And I wouldn’t think anything of it if the fundies didn’t do things that are common amongst couples. If a brother got a sister a gift of her favorite chips because everyone’s always eating them, I would think that’s nice. But a brother getting his sister a dozen red roses is strange. If a brother and sister went to just hang out together, I would think nothing of it. But these fundies must call it a date. Why? Just say you hung out with your brother and had fun. It’s the way they do all these things that is strange. But spending time with your siblings and getting them gifts is not weird.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The thing is, I actually think it’s nice that some of these fundies have close relationships with their siblings. And I wouldn’t think anything of it if the fundies didn’t do things that are common amongst couples. If a brother got a sister a gift of her favorite chips because everyone’s always eating them, I would think that’s nice. But a brother getting his sister a dozen red roses is strange. If a brother and sister went to just hang out together, I would think nothing of it. But these fundies must call it a date. Why? Just say you hung out with your brother and had fun. It’s the way they do all these things that is strange. But spending time with your siblings and getting them gifts is not weird.

No, it's not. But, it is the way the frame it. They're so entrenched in someone keeping a girl's heart, and penises being in control that even siblings have to follow that order. And it blurs lines, a whole lot, when the language surrounding sibling relationships - and daddy/daughter relationships - is the language used for romantic love. Seems they can't separate love from in love and it squigs me out.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 3/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, fundiefan said:

Then I wondered - what is Debi's background education that she is writing books about using your brain? When I answered myself, I weeped for fundies who fall for all this shit. Whether from the abusive Pearls or the extreme sheltering Maxwells - what makes fundies jump all in for other fundie's "writings"? There is a lot of fundie talk about discernment - but I don't think any of them know how to use it. 

Science hostility.  NYT covers it here relative to corona virus, but fundies hate science and scientists because it might call into question the over all excellence of even the most dismal homeschool education (the "well common sense certainly tells you that..." bubble) and science disproves the bible so we can't have that, so you have multiple generations of ignorant people. 

New York Times op-ed not behind a paywall that lays it out:   The Religious Right’s Hostility to Science Is Crippling Our Coronavirus Response  Trump’s response to the pandemic has been haunted by the science denialism of his ultraconservative religious allies.

• Upvote 14

5 hours ago, Howl said:

Science hostility.  NYT covers it here relative to corona virus, but fundies hate science and scientists because it might call into question the over all excellence of even the most dismal homeschool education (the "well common sense certainly tells you that..." bubble) and science disproves the bible so we can't have that, so you have multiple generations of ignorant people. 

New York Times op-ed not behind a paywall that lays it out:   The Religious Right’s Hostility to Science Is Crippling Our Coronavirus Response  Trump’s response to the pandemic has been haunted by the science denialism of his ultraconservative religious allies.

Not to mention challenge the fact that the husband or wife (depending on the Fundie couple) doesn't know everything and isn't right about absolutely everything.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

5 hours ago, fundiefan said:

No, it's not. But, it is the way the frame it. They're so entrenched in someone keeping a girl's heart, and penises being in control that even siblings have to follow that order. And it blurs lines, a whole lot, when the language surrounding sibling relationships - and daddy/daughter relationships - is the language used for romantic love. Seems they can't separate love from in love and it squigs me out.

Oh definitely. their the ones who make it weird or word it weird. A brother and sister going out to dinner isn't weird.  But them calling it a date? Why would anyone do that? Its weird. Same with the brother like a boyfriend that Allison likes to talk about. Why would anyone do that? How do they not see that as weird? Their probably trying to come of looking special and like their better. Everything they do has to be more special then regular old heathens. See? My son takes my daughter out to dinner. Their such good siblings. He's a good brother. See I'm not allowed to date anyone but I'll act like my brother is my boyfriend or practice until Daddy finally says I can court. That's weird.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Not to mention challenge the fact that the husband or wife (depending on the Fundie couple) doesn't know everything and isn't right about absolutely everything.

Oh definitely. their the ones who make it weird or word it weird. A brother and sister going out to dinner isn't weird.  But them calling it a date? Why would anyone do that? Its weird. Same with the brother like a boyfriend that Allison likes to talk about. Why would anyone do that? How do they not see that as weird? Their probably trying to come of looking special and like their better. Everything they do has to be more special then regular old heathens. See? My son takes my daughter out to dinner. Their such good siblings. He's a good brother. See I'm not allowed to date anyone but I'll act like my brother is my boyfriend or practice until Daddy finally says I can court. That's weird.  

I do think part of it is showing off. Fundies love to talk about their children being best friends. You know what this pandemic has shown me? Your kids can become bffs when they have no alternatives. My boys have always played together and played with their little friends separately. Now my boys have no choice and the only other kid they can play with is their brother. Why do fundies brag about the extreme social isolation they push on their children? Because that’s what they are doing. They are giving their children no other choice but to be best friends with their siblings.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:24 PM, petrushka said:

On another Bontrager tangent, is anyone else as surprised as I am that Carson and Lina haven't announced another pregnancy yet?

I've been wondering that for a while now. Adding to the tangent...

Did anyone else notice that at some point last year, Josh and Cassidy took over Carson and Lina's house? The Bontragers never mentioned it explicitly, but it's pretty obvious based on various posts on their website and on Josh's and Cassidy's social media.

Josh first mentioned that they moved from their rented home in December, in the same post where he announced baby #2. The most recent example was the Fall 2019 recap post on the Bontrager blog from March 24, where there's a photo of a "ladies fall brunch at Cassidy's" that's clearly happening in the house that was built for Carson and Lina ahead of the double wedding. 

I wonder what happened? First couple with two kids gets the house? And where are Carson and Lina living?

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, Aithuia said:

Did anyone else notice that at some point last year, Josh and Cassidy took over Carson and Lina's house? The Bontragers never mentioned it explicitly, but it's pretty obvious based on various posts on their website and on Josh's and Cassidy's social media.

Josh first mentioned that they moved from their rented home in December, in the same post where he announced baby #2. The most recent example was the Fall 2019 recap post on the Bontrager blog from March 24, where there's a photo of a "ladies fall brunch at Cassidy's" that's clearly happening in the house that was built for Carson and Lina ahead of the double wedding. 

I wonder what happened? First couple with two kids gets the house? And where are Carson and Lina living?

They must be nearby because Cass still posts cousin pictures regularly.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Aithuia said:

And isn't the deal that the home will eventually be Ma and Pa Bontrager's one-level retirement home? I've never been able to figure out whether it has 2 or 3 bedrooms.  Obviously Ma and Pa can't move in until they've married off almost all their kids.

And doesn't widowed Grandma live somewhat nearby? I've always wondered what happens to her house when she goes--or can no longer live alone. Of course, she's many other relatives who could take over.

• Upvote 3

The grandma’s on each side of the family have a bunch of kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. So who knows how things are divided up after they pass away. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, lonedn said:

New post on the bontrager blog - Carolina is pregnant, due "late summer". 

And no one on earth is shocked ?

We all said Lina would be due a few months after Cass. Let’s hope they are both boys.

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, petrushka said:

I hope Bryn and Mitchell hold off a bit and not feel compelled to catch up with the rest of their siblings. 

They took the longest to get pregnant the first time. So I’m expecting them to have a longer gap than Chelsy. But maybe not as long as Lina. Cass will have an almost 2 year gap and Lina will have over two years. I hope they keep that spacing up. That way they won’t end up with 3 in diapers like some fundies.

• Upvote 11

I absolutely hate this fucking, sexist, narrow-minded, awful comment: We aunties get to have one more little kitchen helper who gets their hands covered in flour, and the uncles will have another niece or nephew to "help" them with farm chores

• Upvote 9
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I absolutely hate this fucking, sexist, narrow-minded, awful comment: We aunties get to have one more little kitchen helper who gets their hands covered in flour, and the uncles will have another niece or nephew to "help" them with farm chores

The Bons are even more sexist when it comes to gender roles than the Maxwells. All the little boys in Maxhell are able to help with cooking and all the little nieces are allowed to help with yard work. 

• Upvote 9

Posted this on the babies thread but the Bons answered some questions about due dates. 

Spoiler

620C9378-148A-4FB8-91B0-9A63345F2BDC.thumb.jpeg.17eddbaf56bdbd519f39f632f14b21a3.jpeg

I didn’t think Cassidy would be due this soon. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Posted this on the babies thread but the Bons answered some questions about due dates. 

Hide contents

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3ab7423d8dc6a9e6620C9378-148A-4FB8-91B0-9A63345F2BDC.thumb.jpeg.17eddbaf56bdbd519f39f632f14b21a3.jpeg

I didn’t think Cassidy would be due this soon. 

I think Cass posted on Instagram today. So no baby yet.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Cass has baby Winston Marshall at home. Not sure if it was today or yesterday though. 

Is baby theologian Josh going to blather on about Churchill now?  And tell us how he's sired a future world leader?

Do you think that Marshall is for former Senate Chaplain Peter Marshall? [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Marshall_(preacher)]  Or would he be too liberal?

Note: I stand corrected-- the baby IS named for Peter Marshall.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 3

So Cass had her baby in late April, Chelsy is due in June, and Lina is due in late August. The Bons will have a new grandbaby every other month. I don’t think Bryn will have her second until next year.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Cass has baby Winston Marshall at home. Not sure if it was today or yesterday though. 

Winston Marshall sounds like a far west parody character.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

Winston Marshall sounds like a far west parody character.

I hope the kid grows up to be a US Federal Marshall. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Wallace Bradford and Winston Marshall. 

Joshua really is obsessed with manly sounding names. The Bons are ridiculously obsessed with masculinity and finding ways to worship it. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So Cass had her baby in late April, Chelsy is due in June, and Lina is due in late August. The Bons will have a new grandbaby every other month. I don’t think Bryn will have her second until next year.

I dunno, I'm slightly suspicious of the Mitch and Bryn update series started on the Bontrager blog about a month ago. I suspect that the series will consist of one or two more posts and the final one will be a pregnancy announcement and Bryn might be due before Christmas.

• Upvote 2

On 4/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Bons are even more sexist when it comes to gender roles than the Maxwells. All the little boys in Maxhell are able to help with cooking and all the little nieces are allowed to help with yard work. 

There's no denying that the comment is as sexist as all hell, it makes my teeth itch just reading it!  That said though, the Bontrager boys were expected to help in the kitchen - at least to some extent.  There are pictures on their blog of the boys helping with food prep and they had a tradition of everyone preparing their dish of choice for one of the celebration type meals (I don't recall which one), so the boys aren't entirely useless in the kitchen.

Edited to add:  I've taken a trip down the rabbit hole, it seems that it's Christmas Eve where everyone chips in their own dish.

Edited by Syriana
  • Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic