IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

18 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I read the her current post as well as Axton's first birthday post as I don't think I read it before. She does come off very much like her mother and extremely strict/not flexible.  In the birthday post she referred to his "training" to keep his hands clean/not touch his food and my heart broke a little. 

Chelsy is definitely planning on a big family and she knows that if she wants to make it work, her schedules and training will be just as rigid as Teri’s.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Chelsy is definitely planning on a big family and she knows that if she wants to make it work, her schedules and training will be just as rigid as Teri’s.

AND HER MOTHER'S....I used to like Chelsy's relative exuberance.  It made for a nice contrast to the drabness of Maxhell.  And WTF is this with raw cow's milk for a baby?  Her blog post on motherhood, children and marriage to her "hottie" husband was retchingly full of Bontrager humblebrag.

• Upvote 15

2 minutes ago, petrushka said:

AND HER MOTHER'S....I used to like Chelsy's relative exuberance.  It made for a nice contrast to the drabness of Maxhell.  And WTF is this with raw cow's milk for a baby?  Her blog post on motherhood, children and marriage to her "hottie" husband was retchingly full of Bontrager humblebrag.

It was pretty awful. Not Braggie level, but it was still eye roll worthy. The Bontragers suck. They definitely have fun but they suck.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 3/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, JillyO said:

Bolivia just announced that they are closing the border to all non-residents/non-citizens starting on Thursday. I'm so glad these idiots won't be able to travel there and potentially spread the virus! (If they change their flights to sneak into the country before Thursday, I'll flip my shit!)

Thank goodness the leaders of Bolivia are smarter than the leaders of Bontravia. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

The reason that not just ‘all online sources’ but literally every scientist, doctor, and the vast majority of people are against raw milk is because it is dangerous. I can’t believe that Chelsy is willing to ignore all conventional advice and give her baby something so risky. Just because she grew up drinking raw milk and was fine doesn’t mean that Axton isn’t at risk. My mom never had seatbelts growing up and was fine but she still insisted on them for us. Also, 8 month olds need formula, not cows milk, anyway. The stupidity would astound me but then again, she married into the Maxwells.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html

• Upvote 15

Most of my grandmother's family were dairy farmers. We'd spend our summers in their area, hanging out at the farm of one particular aunt. It was a lot of fun and us city girls did a lot of things we'd never do otherwise - including watching the artificial insemination of a cow, all sorts of animal births, and so much more. If we got ourselves up early enough we'd go to the barn with our cousin as he did the morning milking - even in the 70's done with milkers, not by hand. On very rare occasions, we'd get to taste some of that milk. But, mostly not because even the farmers who made their living milking cows knew it wasn't healthy. 

I am still stunned to this day that anyone would give an infant raw milk. No matter how or what they grew up with or what their own personal experience was. I refuse to ever discuss it with people who use it because most are as obsessed as anyone else with "special information and knowledge" in any other area. But, I always roll my eyes and hope for the best for the poor child being subjected to their parent's willful ignorance.

• Upvote 11

Dairy farmer here.  Our family drinks raw milk every day.  Every dairy farmer I know drinks raw milk.  My bio kids started getting it around a year old.  Our kids adopted from Asia all drink raw milk without any issues.  I did boil it for awhile before making the transition to completely raw milk for bio and adopted.  

Fun fact: We're so used to shaking the cream into the milk that we all instinctively shake the milk jug anywhere else.  ? 

While we have never had any issues, we are not take chances with visitors.  Our farm visitors get milk from the store.  Our at-home guests make an informed choice.  Most choose to relish raw whole milk.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

45 minutes ago, Notjean said:

Dairy farmer here.  Our family drinks raw milk every day.  Every dairy farmer I know drinks raw milk.  My bio kids started getting it around a year old.  Our kids adopted from Asia all drink raw milk without any issues.  I did boil it for awhile before making the transition to completely raw milk for bio and adopted.  

Fun fact: We're so used to shaking the cream into the milk that we all instinctively shake the milk jug anywhere else.  ? 

While we have never had any issues, we are not take chances with visitors.  Our farm visitors get milk from the store.  Our at-home guests make an informed choice.  Most choose to relish raw whole milk.  

I was thinking about the farm in Kansas Chelsy gets it from. I wpnder if they knew she was going to give it to an 8 month old. I imagine most farmers would be like, “ummm no. I’m not getting sued if that baby gets sick.”

• Upvote 6

My dad worked as a microbiologist in the dairy industry and ran the lab that tested the milk in the dairy he worked at.  He did some independent contracting where he would test the milk at other farms where  the people wanted to drink raw milk. He told me that some of the farms were so meticulously clean that the bacterial counts were far lower than the counts legally allowed and the counts at the dairy he worked at. He did not have a problem with  raw milk provided the farmer was careful and once he'd tested the milk and had seen how the farm was run - he'd let my sisters and I drink the raw milk (quite often the farms he worked at would gift him with raw milk/cheese).  So I don't think it is terrible that Chelsy gives her son raw milk-as long as the farm she is getting it from is properly managed. This being said, her son looks thin to me. If I was his doctor I'd weigh him and make sure he was in the normal range on the growth charts. I don't think milk alone is sufficient and would explore why he was not taking more solid foods.

• Upvote 7

My younger son only wanted to nurse for his first year as well. But I had plenty of supply and nursed him on demand his entire first year plus months more. I did try to give him foods. He was interested to an extent. But nursing was his favorite. He wasn’t skinny but he also wasn’t a chubster. Much to my sadness. I love a chubby baby. But his doctor said he was fine. He’s now my good eater. He’s not as picky as his older brother and I love that he tries new things. 

• Upvote 4

The Bontragers have a recap on their blog. In one picture, they "loved hosting their sweet friends, the Mayo family".  Is it me or is that the oldest Rodrigues amongst those Mayos?

Huh.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5

31 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

The Bontragers have a recap on their blog. In one picture, they "loved hosting their sweet friends, the Mayo family".  Is it me or is that the oldest Rodrigues amongst those Mayos?

Huh.jpg

Omg, I think you’re right!!!

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Omg, I think you’re right!!!

Same!!!

By the way, I thought the surname Mayo rang a bell, and then I remembered that I used to see comments from the Mayo family on Rebecca K!!!'s blog (Hiswayserves). I think I've seen them comment on other fundie blogs, too. Their own family blog hasn't been updated since 2018: http://mayos4him.blogspot.com/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I'm never going to be able to catch up with the Rod threads, but I can't figure out where Tim is living right now. Could he be living with the Mayo family? Do they live in Wisconsin?

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, petrushka said:

Can't find the picture on the Bontrager blog ?

Me neither. Did they ask them to take it down because of Tim being in it?

• Upvote 3

The Bontrager post only showed up for me in Feedly, not on their site. It’s titles What Our Life Was or something like that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 3/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, usmcmom said:

Thank goodness the leaders of Bolivia are smarter than the leaders of Bontravia. 

The current leader (who I think wasn't voted) is a fundamentalist. Says that coronavirus will go away with prayer and fasting. Actually, very Maxwellian.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

When I was little, we would bought raw milk from a dairy farm in my town. My mom boiled it a lot. Nobody, not even in my grandparents childhood, drank it without the previous boiling. Raw milk can be dangerous.

Routines are ok, but excessive scheduling and training are a hell both for babies and for mothers. I can be wrong, but do these people enjoy motherhood or just enjoy the feeling of control? 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Me neither. Did they ask them to take it down because of Tim being in it?

It is still there on the Bontrager site: http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2020/03/this-was-our-life.html. about the 24th picture down. Also farther down the blog post, they mention that cute Charlie Bowers stayed with them part of the fall, working for their seasonal manure hauling business.  Hmmm.

I don't think Timikins has a chance with a Bontrager girl.  For all their hateful qualities, Bontragers value hard work, healthy home cooking, and "modern modest fashion" (and they sometimes wear jeans when hiking, etc.) without poofy hair or spackled on makeup. I also think they have much better homeschool educations than the Rodriguii do.  I think they would find the Rodriguii lazy, squalid and tacky.

• Upvote 11

Good to see they are all social distancing and staying away from busy public places. ?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

Good to see they are all social distancing and staying away from busy public places. ?

If you are referring to the pics in the latest Bontrager blog post, that is a "October, November, and December Recap..."  post.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Best typo EVER:

"Has it ever occurred to you that nothing ever occurs to God?" I love this quote and I think we all need to be reminded that he KNOWS!

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic