IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, VVV said:

Speaking from experience, having the first two children close in age is wonderfully motivating to use family planning more aggressively after that, at least for most rational people. My first two are 26 months apart. There's a reason why there is a four-and-a-half-year gap between #2 and #3.

That's how my brood turned out almost exactly--25 months between #1 and #2, then 4 years and 1 day between #2 and #3.

• Upvote 6

Allison has posted part 1 of her European trip.  Apparently the much touted retreat did take place but we have to wait for part 2 to catch the details.  Looks like she was thrilled to get off the farm for a while unencumbered by her best friends/siblings and paired off with someone her own age.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

I saw that Allison got to go to Europe. I am happy that she got the chance to go to. As for the retreat, we are going to have to wait as it looks like Allison went to other countries outside of Sweden (I think) where the retreat was held.

Update: Retreat was in Switzerland

Edited by NancyDrewFan1989
change country
  • Upvote 1

Carver Bowers has an instagram for his music. He also has a picture in his Instagram stories with Jim Bob, Jer, and Jason eating with Carver, his dad, and his little brother. The Bowerses seemed to spend a lot of time with the Duggars at Big Sandy recently. Here’s the problem. There are no single adult females besides Jana in these two families. So I guess all the males in each family are fellowshipping now? No Bowers/Duggar marriages anytime soon. I also noticed the Bowerses liked hanging out with the Wissmanns too. I Could easily see Charlie going after Alaythia or Susannah Wissmann. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Carver Bowers has an instagram for his music. He also has a picture in his Instagram stories with Jim Bob, Jer, and Jason eating with Carver, his dad, and his little brother. The Bowerses seemed to spend a lot of time with the Duggars at Big Sandy recently. Here’s the problem. There are no single adult females besides Jana in these two families. So I guess all the males in each family are fellowshipping now? No Bowers/Duggar marriages anytime soon. I also noticed the Bowerses liked hanging out with the Wissmanns too. I Could easily see Charlie going after Alaythia or Susannah Wissmann. 

I don't think the Bowerses' only goal is to marry off their kids. I also think they're attaching to anyone who they think can improve their clout in the fundie scene. Hence the Duggars for overall/IBLP fame and the Wissmanns/Bontragers for music fame.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, albireo said:

I don't think the Bowerses' only goal is to marry off their kids. I also think they're attaching to anyone who they think can improve their clout in the fundie scene. Hence the Duggars for overall/IBLP fame and the Wissmanns/Bontragers for music fame.

That’s true. Daddy Bowers seems to want his agenda movie to be this amazing groundbreaking thing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

How old are now the Bons grands? I can't remeber, but i think at least a couple of announce are due for Thanksgiving...I will be very surprise if they wait more, maybe one near Christmas? As a super special gift" from God?

• Upvote 3

Jubilee and Wallace are both 16 months, Axton is almost 10 months and Micah is 8 months. 

Definitely due for at least one announcement. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Hudson made it to finals. He usually does. But Rebs didn’t. But she’s so young she’s got plenty of years left to compete. I love that every year there are tons of girls in the final 5 along with plenty of Asian kids. I know not all fundies are racist and xenophobic. But we’ve seen quite a few that are. And the fundie bigots probably get pissy that the winners aren’t always white. 

4E2E045B-C108-4F4D-A14E-65F4EE30AC2E.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hudson made it to finals. He usually does. But Rebs didn’t. But she’s so young she’s got plenty of years left to compete. I love that every year there are tons of girls in the final 5 along with plenty of Asian kids. I know not all fundies are racist and xenophobic. But we’ve seen quite a few that are. And the fundie bigots probably get pissy that the winners aren’t always white. 

4E2E045B-C108-4F4D-A14E-65F4EE30AC2E.jpeg

I wonder if the girls wearing pants make the Bdontragers upset? 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I wonder if the girls wearing pants make the Bdontragers upset? 

Thankfully the Bons aren’t as strict about pants as some fundies. But they do seem to worship penis havers. And I wonder what they think about girls beating out their boys time and time again (except for Lincoln Taylor of course).

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hudson Bontrager got 1st place in the junior division so he won $20,000. 

Wow, that’s a lot of money.  Do you know how old he is?  

4 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Wow, that’s a lot of money.  Do you know how old he is?  

He’s 14. I’m trying to remember the Bible bee rules correctly. He won the junior division this year and he might be old enough to be in the senior division next year. I believe senior division first prize is 50,000. I think that’s what Lincoln Taylor won and now can’t compete anymore because once you get first place in a division, you can’t compete in that division anymore. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

I thought the winner of the senior division won $100,000? That's what Daniel Staddon won in 2009, and Taylor Bontrager in 2016.

And I think the Junior division winner gets $50,000 according to this article. But maybe the prize money has gone down? I couldn't find another link detailing the awards...  

In any case, the Bon kids have made a LOT of money over the years in the Bible bee. Oh but they loooove God's word so much, those late-night study sessions are not motivated by anything else, haha.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, usedbicycle said:

I thought the winner of the senior division won $100,000? That's what Daniel Staddon won in 2009, and Taylor Bontrager in 2016.

And I think the Junior division winner gets $50,000 according to this article. But maybe the prize money has gone down? I couldn't find another link detailing the awards...  

In any case, the Bon kids have made a LOT of money over the years in the Bible bee. Oh but they loooove God's word so much, those late-night study sessions are not motivated by anything else, haha.

When I watched the live stream yesterday, they said $20,000 but I could have heard wrong. I hear things wrong all the time, lol.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I watched the live stream yesterday, they said $20,000 but I could have heard wrong. I hear things wrong all the time, lol.

No, you heard correctly, I confess to have listened to that nonsense as well. Maybe funding has gone down?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

No, you heard correctly, I confess to have listened to that nonsense as well. Maybe funding has gone down?

I did more sleuthing and I think you're right, $100'000 is shared between all winners now. It used to be $270,000. Some big donors must have pulled out in the recent years. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

I did more sleuthing and I think you're right, $100'000 is shared between all winners now. It used to be $270,000. Some big donors must have pulled out in the recent years. 

That sucks for Hudson. His older brother got more money for first place just by luck alone. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:33 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Former Bible Bee contestant here.  I participated in Bible Bee growing up (including multiple years at the national competition).  It's one of the most racially diverse spaces in the fundie realm.  The contestants at the national level are primarily homeschooled (studying for this takes hours a day, so I can understand why it would be difficult for someone with a public or private school background to find the time), but I have known several exceptions to the rule.   There are also quite a few women in skinny jeans, families with only one or two children, etc.

I've been out of the Bible Bee world for a few years now, but I closely followed this week's competition since I still have family members and friends involved.  Feel free to ask me anything. :) 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

I’m kind of glad the prizes are smaller. I’m just not into this Bible Bee. Maybe because I’m no longer Christian and I see the rote memorization of the Bible to be a fundie thing. I think fundie kids could probably spend their time in better ways. But if they enjoy it, that’s good. I imagine some kids only do it because their parents expect them to. 

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, JmW said:

The cash prizes are smaller but the senior division finalists were awarded $50,000-$80,000 scholarships to Patrick Henry College. 

I guess that’s what Hudson can look forward to in the next few years. The only Bon to go to college is Josh. And he did online schooling. 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic