IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

20 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

From the obituary, the grandparents had 2 sons and 7 daughters. Becky is the sixth daughter, but not sure of overall rank since it depends when the boys were born. 

The Bontrager kids must have LOTS of first cousins. 

They’ve mentioned before how huge their family is. Marlin also has a lot of siblings. I think he has slightly more than Becky. 

• Upvote 6

On 10/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Mennonite is pretty broad but in the US, most mennonites I’ve come across are more conservative like Chelsy’s grandparents. And I do consider them a type of fundie. They have a lot of similar ideas regarding patriarchy. However one thing I appreciate about them is that they don’t go soul winning or trying to push their beliefs on random people. 

That's a good point - in my earlier comment I was talking about more "liberal" Mennonites or other Anabaptists who don't fit into the Religious Right mold. But there are Mennonites who do hold some very conservative views about, say, gender roles. I still find them intriguing b/c they don't fit into the conservative v. liberal camps of Christians we're more familiar with in the USA - largely because of (but not exclusively) their pacifist views and beliefs about how Christians should or shouldn't be involved with the government. I'm always intrigued when people don't fit into neat and tidy categories!

• Upvote 3

I noticed from the obit one of Elmer's daughters married a man with the same last name as her mother. So perhaps it is better that Chelsy injected some new genes into the pool...

ETA: and that last name is SMOKER, not Jones or Smith!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I noticed from the obit one of Elmer's daughters married a man with the same last name as her mother. So perhaps it is better that Chelsy injected some new genes into the pool...

ETA: and that last name is SMOKER, not Jones or Smith!

There is plenty of inbreeding in Amish and Mennonite communities. I don’t think they marry first cousins but they do marry more distant cousins. That’s why they have higher rates of certain genetic disorders in some groups. 

• Upvote 7

Yeah, my sister is in the pediatric medical community in our town and a friend of mine is a genetic counselor at the pediatric hospital. We have a lot of Mennonite and ex-amish communities nearby. Genetic disorders are very prevalent.  As they are in most insular communities.

I sometimes watch the youtube channel Megan Fox Unlocked which is from a Mennonite woman in Lancaster County PA. There are many attributes valued by the religion which I also value, so I find the lifestyle intriguing. 

• Upvote 7

I was bored and looking through the Bon Blog and found this picture from Becky and Marlin’s wedding. They are looking pretty Mennonite in that clothing but it’s not plain. It looks like there is embroidery and maybe lace.  So not super conservative Mennonite, but still mennonite. I’m wondering exactly when Becky and Marlin made the change from Mennonite to their current brand of Christian fundie. 

13E6F233-B41D-455D-B38C-51A114CC6549.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Smug Josh posted on his blog about going to TN and visiting the Hermitage which was Andrew Jackson's home (yuck).  He listed all the POTUS homes between him and Cassidy that they have visited.  Surprisingly Cass visited FDR's Springwood considering FDR was a liberal Democrat.

• Disgust 1

Knowing the usual fecundity of fundies, I'm surprised that none of the Brontrager newly married couples is pregnant. Did I miss a pregnancy announcement? Have fundies suddenly realized the value of family planning?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Knowing the usual fecundity of fundies, I'm surprised that none of the Brontrager newly married couples is pregnant. Did I miss a pregnancy announcement? Have fundies suddenly realized the value of family planning?

Let’s hope Cass and Lina don’t have super fertility. When I nursed my second kid, I didn’t get my period back until he was almost 14 months old! It would be great if the Bowers girls were like that. A larger gap between pregnancies is better for everyone. 

• Upvote 11

• 2 weeks later...

New blog post up by Joshua on if you should go to college. I expected him to say no but he didn’t, well at least not for himself. Thing is a college degree of some sort is almost a necessity if you want an above minimum wage job. No guarantee that you will make a lot more money. 
I was expected to go to community college and get an associates degree. My mom had a hard time finding a job after my dad couldn’t work because she didn’t have a degree. She expected all of her kids, after high school, to work and go to school. College isn’t needed for all jobs. 
I love how josh want this women to try and and intern for free. 

Spoiler

51B074A1-6DD0-48C5-931A-FE7DFA83F94E.thumb.jpeg.71374932262070a90658b6528a69980b.jpeg356983F6-7B95-450C-9227-D6FC21E3A3CE.thumb.jpeg.6dabafea8df99924afcc785088b2bafb.jpeg5184E76E-4AB6-45E0-8893-F5C64D605163.thumb.jpeg.4713bec95611bf9027540e0c5718b864.jpegFCEC00CC-3095-4CC0-A7BA-16AC2678B3C9.thumb.jpeg.1dba70ff170c88dcbebc53b1ea2b8b9e.jpeg

• Thank You 1

On 10/8/2019 at 10:13 AM, theotherelise said:

I sometimes watch the youtube channel Megan Fox Unlocked which is from a Mennonite woman in Lancaster County PA. There are many attributes valued by the religion which I also value, so I find the lifestyle intriguing. 

I watch her as well; I think she's seemingly a very sweet person and great mother.

Its Nov. 6 and frankly I'm now kinda shocked that neither Bowers daughter has announced that blessing #2 is on the way. Considering how fast they both got pregnant the first time, I thought one would be thru her 1st trimester by now.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Its Nov. 6 and frankly I'm now kinda shocked that neither Bowers daughter has announced that blessing #2 is on the way. Considering how fast they both got pregnant the first time, I thought one would be thru her 1st trimester by now.

Let’s hope they have 2+ year gaps between all their children from now one. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Cassidy just posted this picture of Josh and Son on Instagram. My guess is that they did a family photo shoot and will use a family photo to reveal she’s pregnant with her second. And that’s why she only posted this picture so far. Therefore I’m expecting a pregnancy announcement in the next few weeks.

7BC638D1-651A-473C-8F96-324AF4B67BB6.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

16 minutes ago, petrushka said:

I'll bet both Cass and Lina are pregnant with Cass a couple months ahead of her sister.

Oh yeah I’m sure they will be pregnant again at the same time. However I don’t think they will ever have due dates one day apart ever again. I’m guessing 2-3 months apart this time.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Cassidy just posted this picture of Josh and Son on Instagram. My guess is that they did a family photo shoot and will use a family photo to reveal she’s pregnant with her second. And that’s why she only posted this picture so far. Therefore I’m expecting a pregnancy announcement in the next few weeks.

7BC638D1-651A-473C-8F96-324AF4B67BB6.jpeg

Josh is a douchebag and I can't stand him, bu this is a lovely picture.

I'm glad that they have some spacing between Wallace and the next baby. They are still both so young and they'll end up with a huge number of kids anyway. 

• Upvote 4

Alison posted a picture of herself and Chelsy on her instagram . Looking at Chesly - I've got to say I think she is pregnant.  Hardly a surprise really. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, browngrl said:

Alison posted a picture of herself and Chelsy on her instagram . Looking at Chesly - I've got to say I think she is pregnant.  Hardly a surprise really. 

Distinctly a possibility, but hard to confirm with that photo.  More intriguing to me is  her new hair coloring and Allison's mention that Chelsy still makes her friendship with Allison a priority--bet this has her father in law in a stew!  Neither would be Steve Maxwell approved.  I'm sure he prays for her soul with tears and gnashing of teeth!

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, petrushka said:

Distinctly a possibility, but hard to confirm with that photo.  More intriguing to me is  her new hair coloring and Allison's mention that Chelsy still makes her friendship with Allison a priority--bet this has her father in law in a stew!  Neither would be Steve Maxwell approved.  I'm sure he prays for her soul with tears and gnashing of teeth!

I can’t tell anything from the pic but I’ve always kind of assumed Chelsy’s first two children would be pretty close in age. It would be interesting if Chelsy and her two Bowers sisters in law were pregnant and due within a few months of each other. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t tell anything from the pic but I’ve always kind of assumed Chelsy’s first two children would be pretty close in age. It would be interesting if Chelsy and her two Bowers sisters in law were pregnant and due within a few months of each other. 

Speaking from experience, having the first two children close in age is wonderfully motivating to use family planning more aggressively after that, at least for most rational people. My first two are 26 months apart. There's a reason why there is a four-and-a-half-year gap between #2 and #3.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, VVV said:

Speaking from experience, having the first two children close in age is wonderfully motivating to use family planning more aggressively after that, at least for most rational people. My first two are 26 months apart. There's a reason why there is a four-and-a-half-year gap between #2 and #3.

I’ve said this on other threads on FJ. I think the first kid for fundies is an adjustment, but they can handle it. They are usually young and still in the honeymoon stage after they have their first. So they are willing to make time for fellowship. That is why you will see the first two kids close in age. I think a second child is probably a bit of a shock to many fundies. A lot of times they are 2 kids under 2 so that means 2 sets of diapers, 2 kids that wake you up in the middle of he night, 2 different nap schedules, and likely much less time and energy for fellowship. And that’s why I think there is often a bigger gap between 2 and 3.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic