IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 4: Dumbass Love for the Romantic Lost Cause

HerNameIsBuffy

Josh has a new blog post about the calling of motherhood. He never once mentions his wife, just his mom. He also never thanks his mom. It’s so sad how disconnected this post is. If the calling is so great then why not thank your wife for excepting it? Why not thank your mom for being a good mother? 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

@Lgirlrocks, I just read the post and was on my way here to say the same. Poor Cassidy.

Additionally, to best express the importance of motherhood, he quotes three men extensively, all of whose speeches/writings reflect the patriarchal viewpoints he espouses. He only quotes one woman at the very end, and then very briefly, as if to say, "Look! A life of nothing but eternal pregnancy and dealing with endless children is what women want, a woman said so!"

One sentence from a quote in particular really got to me: "The world has enough women who know how to be smart." Yuck.

What the world really has is too many fundie man-children who don't understand that writing self-congratulatory or arrogantly uninformed blog posts doesn't make you the smart one of your (probably) insufficiently educated family.

Edited by Aithuia
Edited to fix a word
  • Upvote 19
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Speaking of poor Cassidy, I'm frankly surprised that neither she nor her sister Carolina have announced blessing #2 yet.  I really think one of them will give birth before the end of 2019.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Speaking of poor Cassidy, I'm frankly surprised that neither she nor her sister Carolina have announced blessing #2 yet.  I really think one of them will give birth before the end of 2019.

They didn’t announce their pregnancies until they were 3 months pregnant. So they could be soon to announce a pregnancy that is due in a December. 

• Upvote 5

Cassidy’s instagram is private, but Carolina hasn’t posted anything on hers in almost 3 weeks; prior to that, she usually posted regularly. I’ve been wondering if she’s pregnant because of that.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Aithuia said:

Cassidy’s instagram is private, but Carolina hasn’t posted anything on hers in almost 3 weeks; prior to that, she usually posted regularly. I’ve been wondering if she’s pregnant because of that.

Yes--and why isn't she shilling her essential oils?  And, her headship did just pontificate about sacred motherhood

And meanwhile, I am dying to know if any fundy maidens have signed up for Alison's Switzerland Vacay

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 5

And meanwhile, I am dying to know if any fundy maidens have signed up for Alison's Switzerland Vacay

Me too [emoji56] And maybe a hiking trip to the area when they‘re there? [emoji56] There are some beautiful trails.
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Me too emoji56.png And maybe a hiking trip to the area when they‘re there? emoji56.png There are some beautiful trails.

Having just planned a business trip to Switzerland next month, I can assure you that these fundy maidens are not going to be able to fly there for less than a $1000 US, and anything less than $1200 is going to involve long layovers in places like Moscow, Keflavik, Dublin or Casablanca. And if they are somewhere (like Iowa) that isn't close to a big international airport that will get them to Europe non-stop, they are going to have the extra expense/hassle of getting to one that does. The trip there and back will combined take longer than Allison's retreat.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

@HereticHick Care for coffee if you have time on your business trip in Switzerland? Would love to meet you ?

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Having just planned a business trip to Switzerland next month, I can assure you that these fundy maidens are not going to be able to fly there for less than a $1000 US, and anything less than $1200 is going to involve long layovers in places like Moscow, Keflavik, Dublin or Casablanca. And if they are somewhere (like Iowa) that isn't close to a big international airport that will get them to Europe non-stop, they are going to have the extra expense/hassle of getting to one that does. The trip there and back will combined take longer than Allison's retreat.

I grew up in Iowa, and we’d typically take international flights from Minneapolis (2 hours away) or Kansas City (3 hours away).  It wasn’t ideal but it wasn’t terrible and we could drive the initial haul and fly out directly from those airports. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I grew up in Iowa, and we’d typically take international flights from Minneapolis (2 hours away) or Kansas City (3 hours away).  It wasn’t ideal but it wasn’t terrible and we could drive the initial haul and fly out directly from those airports. 

Two hours isn't bad at all and MSP is fantastic -it somehow manages to be both a comfy and logistically sane major international airport and travel hub, which is just wow.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Josh's latest blog post is about the Bible Bee.  Who wants to get his bro in law left this comment: 

John · May 21, 2019 at 9:07 pm

My family signed up for the Bible bee for the first time this year. We first heard about it through your family.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Josh's latest blog post is about the Bible Bee.  Who wants to get his bro in law left this comment: 

John · May 21, 2019 at 9:07 pm

My family signed up for the Bible bee for the first time this year. We first heard about it through your family.

The Maxwells don't have any kids of age to participate in the Bible Bee... Maybe Maxwell grandkids?

Still seems unlikely because the Bible Bee is f*n.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Boy, do we have different definitions of that word!  

(I assumed h meant the grandkids.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

28 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The Maxwells don't have any kids of age to participate in the Bible Bee... Maybe Maxwell grandkids?

I would love to see a  mass Maxwell trek to the Bible Bee Nationals!

Convention Center in Covington, KY on November 18–21, 2019.  

An easy 40 miles from the Ark Encounter/Creation Museum, too!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I would love to see a  mass Maxwell trek to the Bible Bee Nationals!

Maxhellions have already been to the Bible Bee Nationals, starting in 2016.  The idea is not new to them.

For several years, we’ve enjoyed watching the Bible Bee live. It’s  amazing to watch these young people, who have memorized hundreds of verses, recite with the joy of the Lord. We’ve wanted to attend, but it hasn’t worked out until this year! John, Anna, Jesse, and Mary are enjoying it in person. We’re so excited for them!

Here are some pictures, and I’m sure we’ll have more later.

https://blog.titus2.com/2016/11/18/bible-bee-2016-a-great-event-to-watch-live/

• Upvote 5

On 5/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, Palimpsest said:

Maxhellions have already been to the Bible Bee Nationals, starting in 2016.  The idea is not new to them.

https://blog.titus2.com/2016/11/18/bible-bee-2016-a-great-event-to-watch-live/

They attend/WATCH - but don't actually participate. 

Probably too worldly for them.

Also, in November 2016 Chelsy & John were dating/courting/hooking up/whatever. John probably wanted to go since she'd be there and of course, he couldn't go alone so he needed the familly to tag along. 

Maxwells haven't made any bible bee mentions since then. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

The only Maxwells who can attend Bible Bee are Christopher kids. They already made an idol of their eldest memorization skills. But unfortunately nothing about Ruthanne and Lydia, what a surprise. Ahem.

I'm not sure that, at this point, Melanie is capable to train her kids for the Bible Bee and Nathan has never been involved in homeschooling. But Christopher and Anna Marie seem to work as a team and maybe find time for "bible-bee" training the boys.

Anyway, no Maxwell will never participate in a contest unless the chances to win are really really high. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

The only Maxwells who can attend Bible Bee are Christopher kids. They already made an idol of their eldest memorization skills. But unfortunately nothing about Ruthanne and Lydia, what a surprise. Ahem.

I'm not sure that, at this point, Melanie is capable to train her kids for the Bible Bee and Nathan has never been involved in homeschooling. But Christopher and Anna Marie seem to work as a team and maybe find time for "bible-bee" training the boys.

Anyway, no Maxwell will never participate in a contest unless the chances to win are really really high. 

Abby participated in something called a Scriptorium where you recite bible verses.  https://blog.titus2.com/2018/04/18/join-other-believers-and-listen-to-gods-word/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Ah yes-- the mass fundy couples kissing pic:  http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2019/05/families-pictures.html

PS I predict another Bontrager pregnancy announcement by the end of June.

Allison looks positively thrilled in that photo. NOT. Can't say I blame her.

Didn't you always dream of kissing your wife while your head is touching the head of your mother as she kisses your father? Families are so awesome!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 8

God, there's so much to unpack in that kissing photo. 

Wallace looking miserable. Allison trying too hard to not look miserable. Axton glaring at the camera. The other three Bontrager sons trying to figure out what the hell an appropriate expression for this would be. The inanity of the entire thing.

The one bright spot in this is adorable Jubilee, rightfully ignoring everyone else and trying to fit her entire fist in her mouth. 

And I agree on a pregnancy announcement in the next month or so; I think it's got to be Carolina, seeing as she's the only one whose stomach we never see in these photos, the photo of her little family is close-up, and she's wearing a scarf to boot.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

24 minutes ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Couldn't help myself

Hide contents

Bontrager_Allison.thumb.jpg.16b9410cea205ebd86e0d56761dcb1f8.jpg

I think I like Wallace’s face better. He’s more like “WTF?” While Allison is just cringing.

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic