IGNORED

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

HerNameIsBuffy

My luck ran out.

The LDS missionaries(2 young women) came to the door,the other day.

They,of course,invited me to church,meetings and a church picnic for the 4th of July.

I have no intention of going.

But,I did ask where they are from.One is from Washington state,the other from California,she said she did not like the humidity,here,in South Carolina.That soon after she goes outdoors..she's sweating.

I have lived here for 40 years.I'm used to it.

We went to visit ,one summer,my family in Ohio.It was in the 70's that week,and we loved it.We thought it was funny when people talked about..how "hot" it was.

• Upvote 4

My father-in-law moved from Arizona to the southeast United States and had a really hard time adjusting to the humidity. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

My father-in-law moved from Arizona to the southeast United States and had a really hard time adjusting to the humidity. 

I have never experienced it,but I have heard people say that in AZ,UT,CA and other states,the heat is a dry heat..in comparison to the humid heat,here.

• Upvote 4

We are having a hot and humid stretch here in PA. I like fall and spring better but the long days of sunlight are nice too. Winter can get to me, with all the dark hours.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, LacyMay said:

It's pouring here and I'm totally ok with that, I really love rain (especially thunder storms) if I could live somewhere with two climates comfortably hot and cool rain/storms I would be ok with that.

Same here. I've got bad anxiety & I find that rain comforts me more than almost anything (sounds strange when I say it out loud but it's true) I just find rain to be so incredibly soothing. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, ALM7 said:

:my bold above:

I agree @VelociRapture.  As I always say ...

Stand back and try science, it works!  :tw_thumbsup:

#TeamAxialTilt

It's linguistic, too. People blur the lines between weather and seasons the same as with weather and climate.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

18 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

We had a heatwave last year and my friend from Oz was trying to explain to her friends and fam back home, the reason the heat was killing her here was because our homes etc are built to retain heat. So when it gets hot our homes just get hotter and hotter and we cry! She moved back to Oz in the winter and had no problems with 40'C weather while we froze  ? 

My friend in Oz (who was Canadian) was trying to explain why she was so cold there during their winters.  The houses aren’t built to retain heat and she often went outside to warm up. They ended up getting a fire place to warm up their home. Her Canadian friends and family continue to scoff at 10-15*C as being a cold winter temperature. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, melon said:

I have never experienced it,but I have heard people say that in AZ,UT,CA and other states,the heat is a dry heat..in comparison to the humid heat,here.

This is true. I live in AZ. Dry heat definitely is preferable to humidity in the 90s and 100s, but once you cross 110F, it’s just godawful, dry or not. And I say that having grown up in the humidity of VA. 

Edited by crancraz
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Middle Norway here. 

It is technically summer, but todays summer is 14 degrees Celcius and a light rain. No heat wave here! I do not want to go away on holiday before my peonies and roses are blooming, but with this weather it will never happen... or they will curl into a sodden ball. 

I'm happy we don't have a holiday to Southern Europe planned, I do not do well with heat and never did. When we went to Florida in december our taxi driver were huddled in her shawl and jacket while we were perfectly comfortable in shorts and T-shirt.

On the flip side I do not do well with cold either, so the winters are starting to get sucky. The 15-20 degrees Celcius below zero are painfull. Except when I am sleeping, I loooove a cold bedroom and a warm duvet! If I could have minus 5 degrees Celsius in my bedroom year 'round I would be a happy camper!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Northern Ireland here. 24 C here currently but there’s a slight wind so it’s bearable. Yesterday was so humid that even though it was technically cooler than today (21C) I felt like I was roasting alive. I’m not a great fan of the heat, I can’t function in it and I have two skin shades, milk bottle white and lobster red so I don’t even have the upside of getting a good tan ?! I prefer when it’s between 15-18 C as I can function in that. I really hasn’t helped me that the school where I teach has underfloor heating which is malfunctioning and of course the malfunction appears to be stemming from under my classroom floor!! It’s been 35C and humid as hell in that room even with the windows open and fan going - I’ve been using the library mostly this week as it has doors that go outside which I can open and actually function enough to teach! Thankfully today is the last day of school for summer break! 

It has been nice to see the sun though - it’s overcast and rains here a lot. The worst is when it’s overcast and hot and humid, even the rains hot then! 

We seem to have skipped spring this year and went straight from an 8 month long winter to a heatwave ?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Markie said:

My friend in Oz (who was Canadian) was trying to explain why she was so cold there during their winters.  The houses aren’t built to retain heat and she often went outside to warm up. They ended up getting a fire place to warm up their home. Her Canadian friends and family continue to scoff at 10-15*C as being a cold winter temperature

Yes, for most of the country the insulation in the houses suck.  My mum has also commented that she hasn't felt colder than when visiting Sydney which is fairly mild during winter as they really aren't set up for heating (we live somewhere that it is colder and so have decent heating options though many places have poor insulation even if better than Sydney).

I find 10-15C to be good hiking temperatures.  It can also be nice and warm if it's sunny outside.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The weather here in northern Germany has been so weird.  Wednesday was hot, yesterday was humid and warm, and this morning it was so cool I left the house regretting I hadn't worn a scarf.  But this weekend will be hot again!  

Sorry for those of you suffering, but I love the heat waves. My toes are cold until about 32C/90F, so I'm never really happy when it's cooler than that. 

I also agree that many Germans suffer needlessly because they don't believe in fans. One of the things that makes me so glad my husband and I have separate bedrooms is that when it's hot at night he refuses to open the windows or use a fan and just wants to sweat in still, hot air. He thinks the draft will kill him.  But he also thinks throwing open all the windows in the apartment for half an hour every morning when it's literally freezing out is good and healthy. I don't get it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Gobbles said:

Speaking for the majority of Germans while slowly starting to cry ?: We don't have ACs in our homes. 

And this does not only apply to homes but also many work places and public buildings as well.

22 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Europe and many northern areas not used to the heat, are going to need to get some form of cooling systems in their homes, window AC units or something because this planet isn't going to get any cooler, except in the winter time. 

The thing is, science indicates that climate change might actually end in a much over all colder climate for Europe after all. And while I am not against A/C  at all I think eventually we should find more environment friendly ways to cool down our building (different building materials and designs, green roofs and walls, more green to stop cities from heating up, clever ventilation and shutter systems) than worsening the problem by needing even more energy. There are already great ideas and examples and even many very old buildings provide great temperatures inside no matter the weather. Obviously no fast fix but a better long term perspective than using millions of thousands of A/Cs for centuries.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

I live in Colorado and am from the east coast and I hate it when people complain about the humidity and I say what humidity. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

The weather here in northern Germany has been so weird.  Wednesday was hot, yesterday was humid and warm, and this morning it was so cool I left the house regretting I hadn't worn a scarf.  But this weekend will be hot again!  

Sorry for those of you suffering, but I love the heat waves. My toes are cold until about 32C/90F, so I'm never really happy when it's cooler than that. 

I also agree that many Germans suffer needlessly because they don't believe in fans. One of the things that makes me so glad my husband and I have separate bedrooms is that when it's hot at night he refuses to open the windows or use a fan and just wants to sweat in still, hot air. He thinks the draft will kill him.  But he also thinks throwing open all the windows in the apartment for half an hour every morning when it's literally freezing out is good and healthy. I don't get it. 

It’s true that this fear for sleeping or sitting in a (cold) air stream is a very German thing. Maybe we, as society, suffer from a general psychosomatic syndrome because many do report to suffer from stiff necks or backs, running eyes/noses or a sore throat after experiencing it. I mean we are probably just not used to it because we are taught to avoid it but it’s actually very funny how this is a real thing here without any scientific evidence.

Opening the windows in the morning to get some fresh air in is not half as strange about us in my opinion. And many actually do prefer to sleep with open windows even in the winter. As long as we don’t get exposed to a draught of course. ?

• Upvote 7

I’m in Connecticut (a small state that borders New York to the East on the Northeastern coast of the US for our non-US friends.) We typically have four seasons here and they generally correspond to the scientific definition that’s based off the earth’s tilt. It’s definitely been obvious that climate change is at work here though. Our winters are so mild the last several years that the tick population has absolutely exploded and that means an increased risk of tick-borne diseases like Lyme’s Disease (named for Lyme, CT actually.) Our summers have definitely gotten a lot more intense too, though we’ve been fortunate not to have had much humidity so far this summer. We usually got some pretty awesome thunderstorms here during the summer too - my Aunt is a lifelong California resident who experienced one of those for the first time a few years back and she thought it was incredible. The warm weather seems to last longer into October and November for a few years now as well. Fall (late September through late December) is still the best time to visit in my opinion because we have beautiful scenery, less intense weather, and tons of festivals and fairs. The leaves changing colors tends to peak closer to late October through mid-November most of the time though. 

Today’s projected forecast for my area: 91F/~32C and sunny. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Opening the windows in the morning to get some fresh air in is not half as strange about us in my opinion. And many actually do prefer to sleep with open windows even in the winter. As long as we don’t get exposed to a draught of course. ?

Opening windows as the main method of ventilation just isn't something we really have in the US. Most people have an air circulation system as part of their heating/cooling system, and the few places I've lived that didn't were drafty enough that some air was always getting in around the windows and doors. But since the walls are much thicker and more solid in Germany, and windows really seal, I understand that you do need to air out the room with the windows. It can just be kind of shocking in the winter when you're used to having both air flow and a stable and cozy temperature indoors. 

This method of airing also clashes with my American (and equally unscientific, lol) draft lore.  In my "traditional" understanding a cold draft will make you sick because it makes you cold, so you really don't want to be exposed to cold air in the winter, but in the summer it's desirable/totally fine. So it's just interesting to me that because of our backgrounds my husband doesn't want cold air when I find it pleasant, and I also don't like it when he finds it pleasant. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

That is strange. I never heard about fans being bad, although I am german. During summer my mum is a huge fan of fans, she always has one standing in the living-room. Furthermore in our home letting the air flow through the opened windows (Durchzug) was pretty much the norm in the evenings.

Right now we have 26 °C. But this morning it was wonderful cool, so we opened every window and let the cool air blow through the house. Now the shutters in every room are down and I hope that we can cool the house down tonight. We do not have a fan, I don't quite know why. Mr.S. tries to persuade me to buy an air condition for the bedroom. I will vote for a fan instead. I have really no idea why we do not have one already.

I don't want to start a thread drift about pets, but I have to add that our hamster is now sleeping on top of her house, because of the heat. I bought her a clay house yesterday but she ignores it. 

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 5

16 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

We are having a hot and humid stretch here in PA. I like fall and spring better but the long days of sunlight are nice too. Winter can get to me, with all the dark hours.

It's been humid here in NY too. It's 9 am and it's already 73% humidity. It's supposed to be 88 today but it will feel much warmer. I love summer, I'm not cut out for the cold, but this humidity kills me. 

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

That is strange. I never heard about fans being bad, although I am german. During summer my mum is a huge fan of fans, she always has one standing in the living-room. Furthermore in our home letting the air flow through the opened windows (Durchzug) was pretty much the norm in the evenings.

Right now we have 26 °C. But this morning it was wonderful cool, so we opened every window and let the cool air blow through the house. Now the shutters in every room are down and I hope that we can cool the house down tonight. We do not have a fan, I don't quite know why. Mr.S. tries to persuade me to buy an air condition for the bedroom. I will vote for a fan instead. I have really no idea why we do not have one already.

I don't want to start a thread drift about pets, but I have to add that our hamster is now sleeping on top of her house, because of the heat. I bought her a clay house yesterday but she ignores it. 

Who doesn't love a good Durchzug in the cold, early hours of the day? But beware of the drafts, y'all, they might as well kill you! 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

This reminds me of one of my favorite weird paranoia things/superstitions: Korean fan death! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Although one of the ideas is that to cool air will kill you, the one I've heard the most from people who have lived there is that fans chop up the gas molecules in the air and eventually all the oxygen is displaced and you'll suffocate! ?

A friend of mine who was staying with the family of her friend was regularly woken in the middle of the night by the mother, who was terrified that she might sleep with a fan on and suffocate in her sleep.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Markie said:

My friend in Oz (who was Canadian) was trying to explain why she was so cold there during their winters.  The houses aren’t built to retain heat and she often went outside to warm up. They ended up getting a fire place to warm up their home. Her Canadian friends and family continue to scoff at 10-15*C as being a cold winter temperature. 

I noticed this in Texas! I'm from the northern US and most homes here can keep up (occasionally it gets a bit chilly when it's a week or more below 0F for a high, but that's infrequent). Down there, people will buy space heaters, close off part of the house, insulate doors with blankets/rugs at the bottom, and struggle to keep a livable temp when it's cold (35ish F or lower) for a few days.

We're about to deal with nasty hot, humid weather for the weekend. I'm not excited, but at least most of my planned activities are in the water so I can stay cool and I have AC at home and at work. When I was growing up my parents couldn't afford to fix the AC and I remember cold showers, jumping in the pool, and more in the middle of the night/right before bed to stay cool. I've known people to sleep with ice packs if it's real hot. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, crancraz said:

This is true. I live in AZ. Dry heat definitely is preferable to humidity in the 90s and 100s, but once you cross 110F, it’s just godawful, dry or not. And I say that having grown up in the humidity of VA. 

We lived in PHX for 2 years. I don't mind the heat until it gets above 110...then it's just horrid. We moved to Las Vegas and it doesn't quite get as hot as PHX. Days over 110 are not terribly common. 

I grew up in VA too and I'd rather take the heat than the humidity of VA...god that shit is horrible. If there is a hell, the weather is like a Hampton Roads summer. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Pic, please? ? I love hamsters!

(And greetings from another German!)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic