IGNORED

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

HerNameIsBuffy

4 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

The grandsons were outnumbering the granddaughters by about three to one and it's evening out.  Interesting coincidence that the pregnancies were so predominantly boys and now girls.

Streaky, much like JB and M’s family.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I found out that I had a morphine intolerance after recovering from fibroid surgery in the hospital back in 2009.  I spray-paint vomited the wall and felt bad for the nurse because she was upset about cleaning it and made it known to me.  ?  Well, I had a six or seven inch incision, and vomiting felt like a living hell, so she could probably have felt better if she thought about it that way.

My father had a reaction like that to morphine.For me,morphine makes me itch.The most intense awful itch ever.I feel like I could scratch my skin off.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2005,they had me on a morphine pump.I did not have any pain,but later I woke up,itching.My OB-Gyn changed my pain reliever.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Streaky, much like JB and M’s family.

On my side, the first 5 born were girls. Since then, there was a boy, a girl, three boys, and the final girl.

On my husband's side, we have four girls, then three boys, another girl and then another three boys.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, melon said:

My father had a reaction like that to morphine.For me,morphine makes me itch.The most intense awful itch ever.I feel like I could scratch my skin off.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2005,they had me on a morphine pump.I did not have any pain,but later I woke up,itching.My OB-Gyn changed my pain reliever.

Me too. I always refuse it after that experience.

1 hour ago, keen23 said:

On my side, the first 5 born were girls. Since then, there was a boy, a girl, three boys, and the final girl.

On my husband's side, we have four girls, then three boys, another girl and then another three boys.

Here’s my parents’ grandkids: girl, 6 boys. 1 GG daughter ( in that order)

• Love 3

In my previous life as someone who worked in a public school, I know some years the overall class skewed strongly female, and other years, strongly male. This was a school with two classes of each grade level.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I know someone who is a pilot that names his first daughter Skye. So there's an idea. 

Plus their last name makes her sound like a discount airline. But that won't be a problem for the Jabbie baby. 

• Upvote 7

So I have a bit of a weird question. In John and Abbie's gender sex reveal, all that confetti ended on the grass. Do they clean it up off the grass, or is it biodegradeable, or do they wait for water to break it up? How would you clean it up? 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

My husband is one of five, one girl and four boys.

Grandkids are girl, boy, girl, girl, girl, girl, girl, boy, girl, girl. 8 girls and 2 boys. Such a huge swing from lots of brothers. With one brother yet to have kids.
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

So I have a bit of a weird question. In John and Abbie's gender sex reveal, all that confetti ended on the grass. Do they clean it up off the grass, or is it biodegradeable, or do they wait for water to break it up? How would you clean it up? 

We just did a similar one for our second child and it was biodegradable... I think most onbthe market are 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

As a pilot JD is more likely to have girls than boys.

For the Duggar girls, given that there is research that indicates the blood pressure may play a part in the sex of the child perhaps the Duggar daughters have a higher blood pressure?

On my dad's side the cousins go 2 boys and 1 girl, ending with 2 boys, 20 cousins total. So far the great grandkids on that side have been 1 boy, 1 girl, 2 boys, 2 girls, 3 boys, 3 girls and now 1 boy and 1 girl. Kinda interested to see if the pattern continues. 

• Upvote 2

@Someone Out There what is this research?? The sex of the child is determined by whether the sperm carries an X or Y sex chromosome. It is decided as soon as one sperm fertilizes the egg.*

*excepting those intersex people who have additional influences on their sexual organ and sex hormone development.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

@Someone Out There @theotherelise I think it's only true for fighter pilots, not regular pilots. But there have been studies showing that fighter pilots have daughters more often than sons.

I think it has to do with the G-forces. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved by extreme roller coasters. If you send your male SO out roller-coastering all day, are you more likely to conceive a girl?

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

@SorenaJ yeah, sorry, I've seen the pilot thing. It was this that I thought was confusing:

"For the Duggar girls, given that there is research that indicates the blood pressure may play a part in the sex of the child perhaps the Duggar daughters have a higher blood pressure?"

I googled it and it looks like what @Someone Out There might have gotten confused by was that blood pressure of a pregnant mom can sometimes correlate with the sex of the gestating fetus. But blood pressure is not determinative of sex. 

• Upvote 3

On my dad’s side it goes:

Dad’s generation (his paternal side only) - Boy, Girl, Boy (Uncle), Boy (Dad), Girl

My Generation - Girl, Girl (Sister), Girl (Me), Boy (Brother)

Next Gen - Boy, Boy (nephew), Girl (my daughter), Boy (nephew), Boy (my son)

Not sure about the exact order on mom’s side since she has a lot of cousins, but the breakdown is like this:

Mom’s generation (paternal and maternal sides) - 9 boys (including my two uncles), 6 girls (including my mom and Aunt)

My Generation (no maternal first cousins for us) - Girl, Girl, Boy

Next Gen - Boy, Girl, Boy, Boy

It’s cool to see how they can differ between generations, but I’m pretty sure those breakdowns are just random chance.

• Upvote 1

Submarines have more girls than boys. Wolf boy had a boy, but they were thinking girl before the ultrasound because of that.

• Upvote 2

I do not have my school external hard drive of research papers handy... but there is evidence of more girls being born to women in hardships/war/famines.. with the hypothesis being that the X chromosome-d sperm/XX zygotes/fetuses are hardier and more able to withstand the hardships, such as the mother starving. Keyword there is *born,* XY and XX fetuses were conceived about equally, but the ones surviving to be born into viable babies were statistically skewed toward female. 

I kept the research because in my spare, nerdy time I wanted to work out if this data could be applied to women now; for example, with the rise of the keto diet are we seeing more females born because mom is being "starved" of carbohydrates? Or women with actual eating disorders - do they have more girls if they remain fertile? With the current political climate and immense stressors and terrorism and gun violence, similar to war times, are we having more females? Again, never got around to my own data collection and correlation does not always equal causation but it was interesting food for thought. Figured I'd share.

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, theotherelise said:

@SorenaJ yeah, sorry, I've seen the pilot thing. It was this that I thought was confusing:

"For the Duggar girls, given that there is research that indicates the blood pressure may play a part in the sex of the child perhaps the Duggar daughters have a higher blood pressure?"

I googled it and it looks like what @Someone Out There might have gotten confused by was that blood pressure of a pregnant mom can sometimes correlate with the sex of the gestating fetus. But blood pressure is not determinative of sex.  

Yes, I was talking about the correlation between sex and blood pressure.  The X/Y sperm would determine the sex, however there could be a correlation between what 'sticks' and the sex of the children.  Hence my comments about blood pressure.

@Someone Out There I still don't think you understand. The blood pressure thing is about predicting the sex of your baby before an anatomy scan because if your baby is male or female there is a correlation to your blood pressure levels. It does not *affect* the outcome of the sex that "sticks." Sex is determined immediately at fertilization. A correlation is just a pattern they've noticed, but it is not absolute and it has no bearing on the sex outcome.

ETA: The correlation isn't if you have higher blood pressure you're more likely to conceive a girl. It's that if you're pregnant with a girl, you're more likely to have higher blood pressure. (not sure if it's higher or lower for male/female, just an example)

ETA Again: Okay, I might be wrong about this, but this study looks really weak. I stand by it being a silly thing to wonder about, but it appears one study showed a minute correlation. But it's with early pregnancy loss. So high blood pressure may cause very slightly more losses of male embryos in very early pregnancy.

Edited by theotherelise
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Submarines have more girls than boys. Wolf boy had a boy, but they were thinking girl before the ultrasound because of that.

Do you mean submariners?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

Can we talk about John David's comment in people mag. 

“I’m really looking forward to having a little baby girl around the house,” added John David. “I already have one, now I’m going to have two. I just hope she’s as pretty as her mommy, I know she will be!”

Your wife isn't a "little baby girl," creep. 

• Upvote 12
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 1

She Couples call each other all sorts of odd or silly pet names so To each his own. Maybe it’s an in joke between them or something. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

True. I don't like being called "babe" or "baby" but it's pretty normal for most people, even "babygirl" is getting more common. If that's what Abbie's comfortable with, whatever, though I may personally find it infantilizing. My partner, romantic as he is, will lean over to me and say, "You're my favorite.... mammal." What a dork :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

On 8/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Casserole said:

I do not have my school external hard drive of research papers handy... but there is evidence of more girls being born to women in hardships/war/famines.. with the hypothesis being that the X chromosome-d sperm/XX zygotes/fetuses are hardier and more able to withstand the hardships, such as the mother starving. Keyword there is *born,* XY and XX fetuses were conceived about equally, but the ones surviving to be born into viable babies were statistically skewed toward female. 

I kept the research because in my spare, nerdy time I wanted to work out if this data could be applied to women now; for example, with the rise of the keto diet are we seeing more females born because mom is being "starved" of carbohydrates? Or women with actual eating disorders - do they have more girls if they remain fertile? With the current political climate and immense stressors and terrorism and gun violence, similar to war times, are we having more females? Again, never got around to my own data collection and correlation does not always equal causation but it was interesting food for thought. Figured I'd share.

I think it's more likely that the hormones created by stress (cortisol, adrenaline, others)  interfere with sex determination. It would make sense - in times of famine, having more girls would mean more chances for future offspring. Humans can only have one child at a time and it takes a long time. One man can impregnate hundreds. Simply cutting calories will not cause this kind of stress; it's actually easier to conceive if you are at a healthy weight. 

As for "actual eating disorders" is that different from an eating disorder? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic