IGNORED

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

HerNameIsBuffy

57 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Agreed - it's like it's a movie playing in my head. I remember parts of it. But not all of it. I remember being REALLY angry because the fertility doc I'd been seeing didn't do the retrievals - I got sent to a clinic 2.5 hours away for that and NO ONE would talk to me about from the clinic. "You need to talk to your doctor" Yes, but he wasn't THERE.... 

I'm still bitter about it.

I'm for sure bitter about a lot of it. I had unexplained infertility so it was like there was never concrete answers (is there ever though) and I got a lot of "I was sure it would work this time." Even when we had our first IUI we were told by the NP that it should be  a quick process. 2.5 years and 9 back to back IUIs we finally got pregnant.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer I just don‘t see at the moment: If all patients agree that it‘s so painful, why can‘t they do it with anesthesia? I mean, you get one at the dentist‘s, so...

Some have little to no pain. I was actually told I could have it done on my lunch break from work... so I did... very foolish of me. I had to have my supervisor called to tell her I was incapacitated and gone from my unit for about an hour and a half.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I. I was told to take over the counter pain medication an hour ahead of the procedure, but even women told that can experience a good deal of discomfort and pain.

I wasn't even told THAT!... Shudder. Thank God those days  are over.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

No Duggar or married spouse in this generation is ever going to publicly say that but it’s safe to say they were not using BC or at least chemical BC and I don’t see any Duggar son wrapping his junk. 

• I Agree 3
  • Love 2

They have never said yay or nay about birth control.

I seriously doubt any of them would share that info.I could be wrong,but I honestly don't think so.

And towards the last of her pregnancies,Michelle kept saying..We didn't know if we would conceive.Well,why wouldn't she?I mean ,sure a woman's fertility can decrease as she ages.

Each time,I thought I might not get pregnant,I did.

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Thorns said:

I found the hysterosalpingogram weird and uncomfortable, but not painfull as such. The cramping I had on and off later during the day though... My salpinges did not like that. 

I hope I feel the same about egg retrival and insertion, since I will (hopefully!) will go through that in about a month. No painkillers or sedation for the hysterosalpingogram, luckily they will give painkillers and a light sedative for the retrival!

I had the hystersaloingogram (I am pretty sure that what it was) they described it to me as a flush to see if my tubes were blocked. They told me to take paracetamol before the procedure. It hurt but was not to bad.  Pain at the time and nothing after. I assumed at the time that it might be what light contractions feel like. I have never felt a contraction, so I don't know. 

My egg retrieval was done under a local, blissfully knocked out. I found that a longer process to recover from than my C section. I was uncomfortable and felt "off" for weeks and felt like I had a hard rubber band around my middle. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

My egg retrievals were all under general anesthesia. I had no idea anyone did anything else.

Yes, the HPG hurts like hell.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My egg retrievals were all under general anesthesia. I had no idea anyone did anything else.

Yes, the HPG hurts like hell.

I had no idea they did it any other way either....

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I had no idea they did it any other way either....

I was definitely not completely out. I had to have surgery to repair a small uterine septum? (like part of my uterus was a TINY bit heart shaped & we figured we'd see if that was preventing pregnancy - it wasn't). And I was OUT for that surgery - completely out. 
But for my retrieval - aside from the nearly passing out situation - I could absolutely have carried on a conversation. 

The whole situation was just - so hard. I had a trigger shot to administer at 10pm the night before and I went to clear the air bubble out - and shot it all over the kitchen. I called 911, I went to a 24 hour pharmacy - she would give me the med but didn't want me driving home after it because I was SUCH a mess. The whole thing was just - a dark, bad, hormonal, depressing thing.  

BUT - On the plus side - we have our boy now - and he was 1000% meant to live in this family. So - it all worked out.

• Love 15

Oooooh, maybe I shouldn't have read through all this. Egg retrievals are likely in my future (fingers crossed no hysterosalpingogram, because my goodness it sounds awful). Maybe, hopefully, IUI will be all we need, but I'm getting older so probably not. Ugh. I wonder what kind/if they use anaesthetic here?

• Love 8

5 minutes ago, medimus said:

Oooooh, maybe I shouldn't have read through all this. Egg retrievals are likely in my future (fingers crossed no hysterosalpingogram, because my goodness it sounds awful). Maybe, hopefully, IUI will be all we need, but I'm getting older so probably not. Ugh. I wonder what kind/if they use anaesthetic here?

I would definitely ask about it. (and I hope you don't have to go through it - pain aside - it's tough and I don't want anyone going through that...) 

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, SassyPants said:

Boy, too bad it doesn’t work that way.

These people clearly need to watch 16 and pregnant 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, VelociRapture said:

I almost had to do this procedure, but wound up not needing it when I found out I was pregnant. Here’s the ACOG information about the procedure:

https://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Hysterosalpingography

It states that local anesthesia can be used on the opening of the cervix, to ease discomfort when a tube is inserted to inject the dye. The issue is that the most painful part appears to be when the dye is actually injected into the Fallopian tubes. From what I’ve read, the feeling can be very painful for some women. As far as I know, there really isn’t a way to inject local anesthesia into that area directly. 

As for using an IV to give anesthesia, I’m not sure about that. My best guess is that there’s either a medical reason it isn’t given or the medical community just thinks most women don’t need it, so it isn’t offered. I was told to take over the counter pain medication an hour ahead of the procedure, but even women told that can experience a good deal of discomfort and pain.

Part of me thinks that not offering proper pain control is just another symptom of the medical community ignoring women’s pain and thinking we’re hysterical. Also I’m now afraid if this procedure that I didn’t know existed.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

These people clearly need to watch 16 and pregnant 

Part of me thinks that not offering proper pain control is just another symptom of the medical community ignoring women’s pain and thinking we’re hysterical. Also I’m now afraid if this procedure that I didn’t know existed.

Yeah, the Nurse at the clinic I went to told me the procedure really wasn’t that bad and would be more uncomfortable than painful, which seems to be a pretty common experience. I was sitting there quietly thinking that I’d probably trust the opinions of women who have actually been through it over her. 

I honestly have no clue why pain relief isn’t offered though. I kind of lean towards you opinion that it’s just another instance of medical professionals not taking female pain seriously, but there could be a legitimate reason I’m not aware of. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

I've had an HSG several times (also 5 fresh IVF cycles) and never with pain relief, nor did I know that was even offered. I hated that test because my left tube was adhered to my uterus and it was shockingly painful. And I have a very high pain tolerance.

• Love 8

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah, the Nurse at the clinic I went to told me the procedure really wasn’t that bad and would be more uncomfortable than painful, which seems to be a pretty common experience. I was sitting there quietly thinking that I’d probably trust the opinions of women who have actually been through it over her. 

I honestly have no clue why pain relief isn’t offered though. I kind of lean towards you opinion that it’s just another instance of medical professionals not taking female pain seriously, but there could be a legitimate reason I’m not aware of. 

Now a days maybe the opioid crisis freaks practitioners out? I can’t think of a medical reason other than that. But even with those concerns pain needs to be taken seriously. My mom and I have both had first hand experiences with medical practitioners ignoring our pain. I had a dentist tell me, while drilling into my mouth, “stop flinching.” I don’t know any men who have talked about that kind of thing.

I guess there are also always risks with anesthesia, but if you can get knocked out at the dentist you should be able to be knocked out when doctors stick a torture device up your hooha.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I don’t want to contribute to the fear of the HSG. I was being a little funny. Truth is it was more uncomfortable than truly painful for me. The discomfort is that it takes a long time (10 minutes can seem like forever in those circumstances.) My tubes were open though. There is some cramping afterwards.  

I was lucky to have twilight sedation with my IVF retrieval. Only had cramps one time after retrieval. I was older with a low number of eggs. And yes, it’s all worth it when you’re holding that baby.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I had the HSG done and didn't find it painful- just uncomfortable and a little awkward. I took the 800mg of ibuprofen an hour beforehand and my tubes were clear so that probably contributed. My 2nd IUI was actually more painful because my cervix decided to sit crooked that day so doc had to clamp it and move it and hold it in place while she inserted the catheter. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Now a days maybe the opioid crisis freaks practitioners out? I can’t think of a medical reason other than that. But even with those concerns pain needs to be taken seriously. My mom and I have both had first hand experiences with medical practitioners ignoring our pain. I had a dentist tell me, while drilling into my mouth, “stop flinching.” I don’t know any men who have talked about that kind of thing.

I guess there are also always risks with anesthesia, but if you can get knocked out at the dentist you should be able to be knocked out when doctors stick a torture device up your hooha.

After my recent abdominal surgery, I was given a prescription for pain of Norco. I seemed to mainly use it in the mornings when I got up as everything was stiff and hurt to move. I used it a few times the first week in the evening. I ended up finishing the prescription and never had any urge to get more. The pain is mostly gone but I still have some issues. I suck it up and take advil. I guess in my case they weren't afraid to give me something strong. 

• Upvote 3

I feel like the opioid thing contributed to me not being able to control my pain well enough after my second c-section. The first surgery was no struggle, but when the second came around, they were very different with the type of pain relief that was offered me and I suffered/struggled more. I'm still frustrated about that experience. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6

I think it really comes down to the doctor. I've had 8 surgeries, 2 of those major, and never had a issue getting pain relief but I do know from working in pharmaceuticals for 5 years that many doctors have pulled back on narcotics and use of more alternative forms of pain relief. Unfortunately is an epidemic in our area, my brother in law is addicted to prescription narcotics after an injury about 10 years ago.  

• Upvote 4

In my case - opioids are not an option. I was given morphine for a dislocated hip after a car accident in high school and it did nothing. It gave me the dry heaves, but didn't dent the pain. My grandfather also couldn't take any of that family of drugs either - he'd throw up. (when they tried to put my hip back in - they ended up giving me a spinal I think)

So it was suggested I just tell doctors I'm allergic. I explain it every time and they just don't provide me cough syrup with codeine or Tylenol 3s or whatever - there are ways around that. 
I got Percocet after they took care of my uterine septum and that was lovely. But I couldn't drive when I was on it, and without it I felt well enough to run to the bookstore. So I never ended up finishing the ones they gave me.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I donated eggs to my sister after I had my son. The retrieval was done under a local with some sedation. I was still able to talk. I remember having a conversation with the doctor that her son has the same name as mine. I was kind of out of it. But I know this actually happened because my sister was in the room with me. 

I recall being in some discomfort. But that it was nothing compared to child birth. I think I was just relieved to have the whole thing over with. I was always worried that I was going to flip an ovary while I was looking after my son. 

Thankfully I never had to do the HSG because that does not sound fun. 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I feel like the opioid thing contributed to me not being able to control my pain well enough after my second c-section. The first surgery was no struggle, but when the second came around, they were very different with the type of pain relief that was offered me and I suffered/struggled more. I'm still frustrated about that experience. 

That’s interesting. I was offered Paracetamol or Ibuprofen after my c-section. I think it was the 800mg dose. They said I should take it as soon as I felt uncomfortable to not let the pain get a grip. They also said I shouldn’t be afraid to ask for more and I got it immediately when I wanted it. I also got a prescription when I went home. The philosophy behind it is that once you are in pain you always run behind with pain management to keep up. Thankfully I was down to one pill at night (and maybe two instances where I had to take one during the day because I had overdone it) after the first week. 

I was shocked to learn that they want you to get up and get moving from day one- but obviously the goal is to sit up and use the toilet not much more. They encouraged me to move but stop as long as I still felt good und made sure my body had enough rest to heal.

Now, it’s almost a year now and my scar is finally starting to disappear in a white thin line (so happy about it because I expected the worst as I have bad/not pretty healing tissue), the numbness is complete gone but it still itches from time to time.

I will say, this (unplanned) c-section was actually not a bad experience at all. It truly depends on the individual, the medical team and how much support you have once at home.

• Upvote 3

Wow...all this IVF talk sure brings back memories...

The dye test, only hurt because on their first try they missed my vein...

Egg retrieval..they put me under completely...but while my insanely great insurance would paid for the retrieval, they wouldn't pay for the anesthesia. I gladly coughed up the money. What did hurt was my body's reaction to the HCG shot right after retrieval. I had a very rare reaction to it and my ovaries swelled to be about the size of grapefruits. I have never been in such pain, looked pregnant overnight and they had to postpone placing the embryos. End result: three tries, two pregnancies, zero live births. 

We didn't use birth control for close to fifteen years...ended up getting pregnant at 43...we chose to not continue with that pregnancy as I was insanely sick and had our beautiful daughters (both adopted) ages 1 and 3 at the time to care for and we knew our family was complete.

Guess who got snipped within two weeks!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

On 8/6/2019 at 11:03 AM, Thorns said:

I found the hysterosalpingogram weird and uncomfortable, but not painfull as such. The cramping I had on and off later during the day though... My salpinges did not like that. 

I hope I feel the same about egg retrival and insertion, since I will (hopefully!) will go through that in about a month. No painkillers or sedation for the hysterosalpingogram, luckily they will give painkillers and a light sedative for the retrival!

I didn’t find the hysterosalpingogram painful at all. Only uncomfortable. And it was the same with the egg retrival and insertion. The time I got nine eggs it did hurt a bit more but mostly afterwards when only one of the eggs were good enough for insertion.

I remember thinking through every weird, uncomfortable, painful procedure that the physical pain was nothing compared to the hurt of not being able to concieve. 

On 8/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, Sullie06 said:

The whole thing seems like some weird dream now. 

This! I almost never think about it now and when I do I find it hard to remember everything we did and how it was. I wish all of you that are still struggling the best of luck! And I hope all of you get the baby that makes it all worth it. ♥️

• Love 13

• Coconut Flan locked this topic