IGNORED

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

HerNameIsBuffy

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Are you guys getting the heat wave that continental Europe is getting this week?

No! It’s ridiculous. We are on the very edge of the plume of hot air. Waiting patiently for it to kick in, but it’ll be barely 20c by the coast where I live. This is the worst summer I can remember. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Irishy said:

No! It’s ridiculous. We are on the very edge of the plume of hot air. Waiting patiently for it to kick in, but it’ll be barely 20c by the coast where I live. This is the worst summer I can remember. 

Ugh can we switch a couple of weeks? Currently in Toscany there is almost 40c, I'm starting to regret my wishes for a hot summer Express a month ago! 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

South East Coast UK here, dear lordy the humidity is killing. The weather fairies say we might be getting up to the 30'sC at the weekend.  My make up slide off me yesterday lol I was loitering in Pets at Home and Aldi as they had their air con on and its heaven.

Tho in all seriousness, the heat rest of Europe is getting is awful, people are dying and its so sad.

• Love 7

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Ugh can we switch a couple of weeks? Currently in Toscany there is almost 40c, I'm starting to regret my wishes for a hot summer Express a month ago! 

When I was in Italy last few weeks I loved the high temperatures there (35-40C) because I did not have to work, had a swimming pool available and air conditioned bedrooms.

Now being home to a country that is not built for the heat I am already crying from 30-35C. ?

At least nights should be a bit cooler from now on, last few nights our bedroom was 32C.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 6

On 6/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, VelociRapture said:

Not to belabor the point, but scientifically speaking that’s inaccurate. Seasons are determined by the tilt of the Earth’s axis. The current crop of pregnant Duggars, therefore, are all due in the Fall - which does not end until late December - according to science. 

Source: NASA

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm just catching up on this thread. 

As a Dec 3 baby, I always felt more a "winter baby" than a "fall baby" but knew I was technically a fall baby. 

A couple years ago, I ran into the concepts of meteorological seasons. Now the way that I view it is a little more complex since some scientific entities use meteorological. I tend to feel more in line with meteorological where I live. 

Here's a pretty great NOAA article differentiating the two.  

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

Though, either way you spin it, November is Fall, meteorologically and astronomically.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, KeepingChrysanthemum said:

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm just catching up on this thread. 

As a Dec 3 baby, I always felt more a "winter baby" than a "fall baby" but knew I was technically a fall baby. 

A couple years ago, I ran into the concepts of meteorological seasons. Now the way that I view it is a little more complex since some scientific entities use meteorological. I tend to feel more in line with meteorological where I live. 

Here's a pretty great NOAA article differentiating the two.  

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

Though, either way you spin it, November is Fall, meteorologically and astronomically.

Fun fact: You were actually born two days before my two year old! She was supposed to be a winter baby (due mid-January), but apparently going full-term was too mainstream for her. So now we have an unexpected late Fall baby and a second Fall baby due late this November. Apparently our babies just really like the Fall.  ?

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

When I was in Italy last few weeks I loved the high temperatures there (35-40C) because I did not have to work, had a swimming pool available and air conditioned bedrooms.

Now being home to a country that is not built for the heat I am already crying from 30-35C. ?

At least nights should be a bit cooler from now on, last few nights our bedroom was 32C.

So I’m in the States and had to google how hot this was and now I just feel really bad for our European friends. Make sure you guys stay hydrated, don’t exert yourselves more than necessary, and be sure to use sun protection. Heat stroke and sun burn are no joke!

(This is lovingly said to everyone in Europe dealing with the heat wave by your bonus American mom. ?)

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

London (UK) here. It's been super humid for the past few days. And not always particularly sunny, either. I hope it's somewhat decent weather next Monday, cuz it's my birthday :D 

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

London (UK) here. It's been super humid for the past few days. And not always particularly sunny, either. I hope it's somewhat decent weather next Monday, cuz it's my birthday :D 

Im coming to the UK next week (Wales) and the weather looks so nice. Especially since I will doing a lot of outdoor activities and sports I am looking forward to lower temperatures.

• Upvote 2

*Slowly realized how hot Texas is*

We sitting at a nice 27C because there is no humid. Today is yard work day. We're about to vacation to to a place that is going to be 41C. 

But as someone who got second degree sun burns from old sunscreen. Be careful. 

• Upvote 4

You know the big problem of the heat at moment is that is only June so we still have a ton of light hours and short nights, till a couple of days ago it was okay (ish) because it was pretty dry, but the last 2 days...just yesterday I throw a tantrum against the not cooperating TV that could have rivaled that of a toddler ? and it was just 18.30! Today I basically never left the house since I live in the country and here we had a little bit of (hot) wind, now I'm laying in the bed with the fan next to me. I think I will propose to him for marriage if not tomorrow maybe Saturday, do you think it will be too soon? Should I keep my heart pieces all for my female feline headship?? or should I wait a little bit more and dourting to see if it serious??

• Haha 14

I live in Central Florida.  Here is what our seasons look like:

January - December:  Hot as shit, with 100% humidity.

For extra pizzazz, from June through August, we’re literally walking on the surface of the sun.

We rarely ever get a break from the heat and humidity.  Yesterday with the heat index it was 111 degrees with 100% humidity.  It was brutal.

• Rufus Bless 8
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Lovebug said:

For extra pizzazz, from June through August, we’re literally walking on the surface of the sun.

We rarely ever get a break from the heat and humidity.  Yesterday with the heat index it was 111 degrees with 100% humidity.  It was brutal.

From your user name, you’re clearly aware of lovebug season.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, TeaGrannie said:

Are you from Alberta too? I saw the pictures of the snow today. 

Apparently Alberta doesn’t participate in scheduled seasons, lol. 

I call it summer and winter in Alberta. I miss having four seasons. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Lovebug said:

I lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. 

Our seasons were more like this: Jan-Dec - 100% humidity

December-March-ish...COLD AS FUCK WITH humidity

Late March-ish-Late April-ish...RAIN WITH humidity

Late April-ish - October-ish FUCKING HOT with humidity

October-ish - December - who the fuck knows with humidity. 

• Upvote 7

This is almost unbelievable to Australians... i know why its classed as a heatwave but are the effects being felt more purely by people and animals because Europe does not normally experience that kind of temp so arent acclimatised or am i missing something scientific? 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, HurricaneBells said:

This is almost unbelievable to Australians... i know why its classed as a heatwave but are the effects being felt more purely by people and animals because Europe does not normally experience that kind of temp so arent acclimatised or am i missing something scientific? 

I'm in the US, but from my understanding most places over there dont have air conditioning or anything to deal with heat.

Also, in more northern climates like I live in, roads are built to withstand cold/ice as much as possible and can buckle from the heat when it reaches temps similar to or slightly above what they're experiencing in europe right now (though that could vary considerably internationally)

• Upvote 9

On 6/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, VelociRapture said:

Not to belabor the point, but scientifically speaking that’s inaccurate. Seasons are determined by the tilt of the Earth’s axis. The current crop of pregnant Duggars, therefore, are all due in the Fall - which does not end until late December - according to science. 

Source: NASA

:my bold above:

I agree @VelociRapture.  As I always say ...

Stand back and try science, it works!  :tw_thumbsup:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Speaking for the majority of Germans while slowly starting to cry ?: We don't have ACs in our homes. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

We had a heatwave last year and my friend from Oz was trying to explain to her friends and fam back home, the reason the heat was killing her here was because our homes etc are built to retain heat. So when it gets hot our homes just get hotter and hotter and we cry! She moved back to Oz in the winter and had no problems with 40'C weather while we froze  ? 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Its a combination of

1) Not used to the temperatures

2) Not having air conditioning

3) Not sure about other locations, but the UK it will be 30C with a lot of humidity, so think say Darwin/Cairns with no air con.

Also as the houses are designed to retain heat (which also helps with keeping them cool longer BTW), after a few days of heat then they are basically hot boxes.  I lived in a place in Adelaide where the heat was retained in the walls for a few days after it cooled outside.

For those in Europe some of the suggestions we would have are:

1) During the day close the curtains/blinds to keep the heat out (admittedly this may be less effective in locations where glazing is better than what we mostly have here in Australia).  This particularly applies to the sides the sun is coming from.

2) At night when it cools down open the windows to let air through.  Pointing a pedestal fan out towards an open window can help with room circulation sending the hot air outside.

3) For those in non-humid but hot areas you can do a DIY evaporative cooling (swamp coolers I think in the USA) with towels and fans.  You will need to have a bit of a window open somewhere though so it doesn't just make your house humid.

Personally in summer I have a pedestal fan that blows over me at night as I don't have aircon in my bedroom.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Someone Out There said:

Personally in summer I have a pedestal fan that blows over me at night as I don't have aircon in my bedroom.

Many Germans might have a problem with that, here is an article about it: https://www.thelocal.de/20190625/only-germans-believe-air-draughts-are-harmful-red-cross-advice-goes-viral

Lots of Germans, especially those from older generations, believe that a draught of air will give you a virus like the cold or flu, or a stiff neck. 

It results in windows being slammed shut on trains (even when it feels like 100C inside) and an unwillingness to install air conditioning or have cooling fans or windows open for a long period of time. 

I currently have a fan running behind me, because I do not like having air blown in my face, my Alexa turns it on and I named it "AC" instead of fan. So at least I can say "AC on". There are now more and more hardware stores who sell AC machines, but those look really big, are really expensive, only cool down a tiny room and require a lot of energy - so still not an option.

As for fans during the night I'm a little paranoid that the fan runs hot and it catches fire or something like that. I have no problems falling asleep but I wake up during the night in temperatures like that. (Which my Mum commented with "welcome to my life" --> menopause problems, haha).

Also there is some discussion (more like war) whether to keep your windows closed during the day or not. Some say to keep them closed, others say have them wide open. Air is more hot outside but it is supposed to be cooler inside when because of the wind or something like that. I don't know what to believe. 

• Upvote 6

Europe and many northern areas not used to the heat, are going to need to get some form of cooling systems in their homes, window AC units or something because this planet isn't going to get any cooler, except in the winter time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

I love how yous all just having some nice casual weather chat :pb_biggrin:

Last summer I was at a scout camp, and every day except for one was between 28°C and 35°C - if you stayed out in the sun, it felt more like 40°C. Since it was a huge camp we made the national news, and from there I learnt that excluding soft drinks that the kids were able to buy from the camp kiosks, each camper drank estimately 5 litres of water per day on average. Wasn't surprised - one day I only went to the toilet twice despite drinking 5+ litres of water. Sweated it most of it out. Euch.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, kachuu said:

Came to catch up on JD and Abbie.... & they are so boring that we are talking about the weather ??

This actually makes me kind of happy Haha we aren't talking about their botched home birth, weird TMI Instagram posts or pro life esque Instagram. 

If they are just chilling and keeping their harmful beliefs out of the public eye (as much as you can when you're on a reality TV show) I'm cool with that. 

Also neither of them strike me as in love with attention/the public eye. So I hope they are happy an enjoying their fairly private first bit of marriage. 

It's pouring here and I'm totally ok with that, I really love rain (especially thunder storms) if I could live somewhere with two climates comfortably hot and cool rain/storms I would be ok with that. Someone else can keep the few feet of snow and 30 below that I've grown accustomed to here (Alberta) 

• Upvote 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic