Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

Recommended Posts

adidas
7 hours ago, Ms. Brightside said:

As someone who absolutely can’t stand the cold, I think of winter as Nov-Feb, so I’m very surprised others are equally adamant that November and February aren’t winter! Except you Australians, of course.  😉

Haha we still get negative temperatures and frost here in November (and sometimes snow, though that is very rare, hasn’t happened in around 10 years). February is usually nice and hot though. 

Winter here is April-October but I am one of the rare Australians who lives in an alpine region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lumpentheologie

I think it makes total sense to adjust your definitions of the seasons to what's appropriate to your area. 

When I was growing up in Alaska it never really got hot enough to be what many people would consider summer.  We would occasionally get up to the high 70s (and then many businesses would close so people could spend the day outside), but usually "summer" highs were 50s to about 70.  Cloudy and raining more often than not.  Since it would start getting substantially colder in August and what made it summer in the first place was more the inordinate amount of light than much heat, we considered the summer solstice the middle of summer. 

So summer: Mid-May through July

Fall: August through October. Fall was constant rain. I remember some tourist-industry workers from down south wondering when the storm would end, and I was like, "Storm, what storm?  This is just fall." Once it rained for over 40 days without stopping and people starting saying God promised this would never happen again. 😂

Winter: November through March-April depending on your luck that year

Spring: Could start in April, could just be the first two weeks in May. We didn't have flowering trees, and other flowers bloomed in summer, so I guess the weeks you got between the end of snow and highs in the 50s was "spring." 

These are some of the main reasons I left. I moved to LA right after high school, and then the seasons were "on fire'" and "not on fire" although I hear that second one has gotten rarer lately. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
allthegoodnamesrgone
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Science is one thing, but colloquialism is another.

I would venture a guess that most people who live in temperate or cooler climates consider December to be winter.

You're all entitled to your own opinions on this matter, however, the FACT is @VelociRaptureis correct the seasons have defined parameters.  We already have The Idiot in Chief changing facts on everything, lets just try to keep some facts intact. 

And, yes, I get this weather argument every year with DH, yelling at the weather gods about "it's DECEMBER 3rd it isn't WINTER until the 21st of DECEMBER" and lots of grumbling about cold and snow and all that other crap. Well Mother Nature and Mother Earth are sick of all our shit and the season no longer mean anything to them. So hold on folks, its going to be a very bumpy ride. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
I do know the difference between are and our. UGH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nvmbr02

I've always thought of winter being December, January and February. Spring being March, April, May. Summer as June, July and August and then fall being being September, October and November even though I know that the season doesn't really change at the start of a new month. 

FWIW, I have lived mostly in the US, but all over the country, including the west coast, upper midwest, north east, south and southwest, as well as northern Italy and a tropical island that pretty much stayed the same year round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
front hugs > duggs
Posted (edited)

I also agree with @VelociRapture in terms of the scientific dates. However, in my area of the US (New Jersey/NE/MidAtlantic?), it sometimes feels like it's summer through the first part of October, and winter starts in January. Winter, of course, lasts all the way through April, and then we skip spring (except for this year's incredibly rainy May) and fly straight into summer.

 

ETA: I also don't trust the SOTDRT teaching scientific seasons, so I agree we can't be sure of Jessa's scientific accuracy in the comment.

Edited by front hugs > duggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl

Quoting Billy Connolly but it's accurate ' There are two seasons in Scotland June and winter' 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sullie06
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Admittedly I'm in Canada so it gets cooler quicker. But I could consider mid-late Nov as winter.

October is definitely fall, December is definitely winter. November feels like an up for grabs shoulder month. 

 

I'm in upstate NY and I have to agree. We consider November to be winter even though we know it's technically not. It's usually in the 20s and 30s and snowing so very wintry. 

17 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Unless you're in Canada. Then it looks more like this:

Spring - May, June

Summer - July, August

Autumn - September, October

Hell - November, December, January, February, March, April

Same here but I'm in NY.

 

I think another important thing to point out is who we are talking about. These are not people highly educated in scientific fact, or much of anything. Who know's if they even know what an equinox is or when they are if they do. 

Edited by Sullie06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caskett4ever

I agree that it is very plausible that Duggars are not aware of the technical definitions of the seasons. However, even if they base seasons off of the temperatures they are used to, I still don't think that they would consider November winter. They live in NW Arkansas. That's far enough south that they wouldn't really get any snow in November or super low temperatures, unlike many of us who live farther north. I don't live in Arkansas so I can't for sure, but I doubt they would consider November winter. I still think it was a mistake or another announcement is coming in the next couple of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Screamapillar

Jessa and Ben, in particular, planned an ice cream parking lot wedding reception in early November, so I'm pretty sure they think they live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You're all entitled to your own opinions on this matter, however, the FACT is @VelociRaptureis correct the seasons have defined parameters.  We already have The Idiot in Chief changing facts on everything, lets just try to keep some facts intact. 

And, yes, I get this weather argument every year with DH, yelling at the weather gods about "it's DECEMBER 3rd it isn't WINTER until the 21st of DECEMBER" and lots of grumbling about cold and snow and all that other crap. Well Mother Nature and Mother Earth are sick of all our shit and the season no longer mean anything to them. So hold on folks, its going to be a very bumpy ride. 

Thanks. I definitely get what people are saying because I hear it from people I know offline too. But I’m of the opinion that actual facts are really important, especially now that we have someone in the White House who has such a blatant disregard for them. It’s kind of a stupid thing to get hung up on all things considered, but scientific fact sets certain parameters for the seasons and I just thought it was important to point that out briefly.

If Jessa is to be believed and isn’t suffering a case of new mom brain (which would be completely understandable), then her statement indicates another arrival between late December and late March. 

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anaandrade
26 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

If Jessa is to be believed and isn’t suffering a case of new mom brain (which would be completely understandable), then her statement indicates another arrival between late December and late March. 

According to Pickles,  during Mary's funeral, JB mentioned that he'll have 12 grandchildren by January. We know that the number is not true. But I do wonder if someone else is expecting and due in January. That plus Jessa's comment about all the babies due this fall and winter does make me wonder if it's true. If it is, I'm guessing it's Abbie and that they'll announce next month (July).

Regarding seasons, I agree with nvmbr02 and say that spring is March, April, and May, summer is June, July, and August, fall is September, October, and November, and winter is December, January, and February even tho that's not scientifically true/accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jillsdopplerofdoom

I am so confused. There are already 13 GrandDuggars so how will Jim Bob have 12 in January? He will have 17/18. OT but just the thought of having that many Grandchildren scares me. How will they remember all the names in a few years? There could easily be 30+ by 2023!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mimosa

I understand the actual parameters of the seasons, but if someone was due in early December and said they were having a baby this winter, I wouldn't think anything of it. My friends birthday is late March (after the 21st) and she often refers to her winter birthday. Considering how often we had snow storms on her birthday growing up, I don't think it's horrifically out of line. 

 

I value science, and as a school teacher I taught the kids the seasons on the proper dates. But when I would say to friends that I was sick of winter when it was -25 degrees at the end of March, I probably would have decked someone who corrected me that it was actually spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjmennonite

Tomorrow is summer solstice, here in the Northern hemisphere, and we have a snowfall warning in the mountains, an hour away. But the leaves are out, the grass is green, so there’s that. We don’t get that in winter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BachelorToTheRapture

Although astronomical winter starts dec 21, meteorological seasons are different. December-February winter, March-May spring, June-August summer, and September-November fall. This is based on the climate and gives meteorologists (also scientists) specific timelines for collecting data. Of course, ours also collect seasonal data such as snowfall for 2018-2019 that goes from October-April this year. IMO meteorological seasons make more sense to most people as they're based on the climate rather than the length of days.

  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieKrissy

The Government here (australia) declares the seasons start on the first of the month AKA 1st Dec for summer. I think a lot of people including me, were shocked to find that the seasons change around the 21st. I didn't find out until my late 30's. 

I have to say I have always been a proud Summer baby and was a little sad to find out I am actually a spring baby 20/12 I miss out by one day.

Tomorrow is our shortest day. On the way up to complaining about it being as hot as hell. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeaGrannie
1 hour ago, jjmennonite said:

Tomorrow is summer solstice, here in the Northern hemisphere, and we have a snowfall warning in the mountains, an hour away. But the leaves are out, the grass is green, so there’s that. We don’t get that in winter. 

Are you from Alberta too? I saw the pictures of the snow today. 

Apparently Alberta doesn’t participate in scheduled seasons, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adidas
4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Thanks. I definitely get what people are saying because I hear it from people I know offline too. But I’m of the opinion that actual facts are really important, especially now that we have someone in the White House who has such a blatant disregard for them. It’s kind of a stupid thing to get hung up on all things considered, but scientific fact sets certain parameters for the seasons and I just thought it was important to point that out briefly.

While this is true for you, there are different parameters globally. Season changeover happens on the first of the month in some places.

But we are discussing this with regard to the Duggars and that’s a US thing.

I just wasn’t sure if it is widely known that outside the US, your facts are not the same as ours. 

35 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

The Government here (australia) declares the seasons start on the first of the month AKA 1st Dec for summer. I think a lot of people including me, were shocked to find that the seasons change around the 21st. I didn't find out until my late 30's. 

I have to say I have always been a proud Summer baby and was a little sad to find out I am actually a spring baby 20/12 I miss out by one day.

Tomorrow is our shortest day. On the way up to complaining about it being as hot as hell. 

 

Or I could have just quoted you, AussieKrissy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WarriorJane
2 hours ago, Mimosa said:

I understand the actual parameters of the seasons, but if someone was due in early December and said they were having a baby this winter, I wouldn't think anything of it. My friends birthday is late March (after the 21st) and she often refers to her winter birthday. Considering how often we had snow storms on her birthday growing up, I don't think it's horrifically out of line. 

 

I value science, and as a school teacher I taught the kids the seasons on the proper dates. But when I would say to friends that I was sick of winter when it was -25 degrees at the end of March, I probably would have decked someone who corrected me that it was actually spring. 

Thank you.  I agree facts are important, but no one is claiming to be speaking factually when they refer to "winter weather" or "spring temperatures. "  if I walk out of my house in November and it's 30 degrees and snowing, I have a list of 10 errands to run,  and it's 8:55, I'm probably going to say it's "winter ", I have "a million things to do", and it's "9:00."  All of those things would be wrong,  but you know what the fuck I mean,  right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Knight of Ni

This is the same family who knew nothing about moss except that it was “God’s carpet”. I would not be surprised if they didn’t know the reason for the seasons changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
5 minutes ago, adidas said:

While this is true for you, there are different parameters globally. Season changeover happens on the first of the month in some places.

But we are discussing this with regard to the Duggars and that’s a US thing.

I just wasn’t sure if it is widely known that outside the US, your facts are not the same as ours. 

Or I could have just quoted you, AussieKrissy!

I’ve been reading the thread so I am aware of that. But as you also said my posts were stated specifically in the context of the Duggars, what Jessa said, and when they are due according to the standards in the States. It’s definitely interesting to know other countries have other methods and it’s fun to learn that, but it has little to do with the context of my posts (but, again, fun to learn something new - so don’t think I’m discouraging the overall discussion. :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SportsgalAnnie

I thought the seasons were Football, Baseball, Hockey/Basketball


In all seriousness I live in TN we have been known to have all four seasons in a day.

  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rainbowbabycakes
1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:



In all seriousness I live in TN we have been known to have all four seasons in a day.

Texas too, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
AliceInFundyland
Posted (edited)

The fact that this conversation relates to how many grandbabies may be gestating based solely on what Jessa's elementary scientific education may be is cracking me up.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 25
  • I Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giddy
AmericanRose

Though I of course know when the 'real' seasons start (though summer doesn't officially begin until tomorrow, and we've already had a handful of 80+ degree days in the PNW...) in MI, it's-

Spring: April & May

Summer: June, July, August

Fall: September, October

Winter: December, January, February, March

I do kind of miss having clearly defined seasons!

November doesn't really fit in anywhere. It's kind of fall, kind of winter. Entirely bleh. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.