IGNORED

John David & Abbie 8: Schrodinger No More, Baby Passenger Onboard

HerNameIsBuffy

52 minutes ago, Smee said:

Are Jed and Jer fraternal?

I‘m pretty sure they are. They look way too different to be identical.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘m pretty sure they are. They look way too different to be identical.

They are. I’ve heard them say it several times. 

• Thank You 3

20 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Thanks for that. I wonder why or if these people are always that excited to have a "little one" in their house as they express. I mean they're inundated with babies. It's like a flood. It never stops. Is it that exciting after a while? They are raised surrounded by them and it's never-ending. 

How does it remain so exciting? Or is that just the script these folks are given as a reaction to "God's blessings" and to reaffirm how important "life" and babies are? 

I have a feeling that period after they get married and are alone in a quiet house together is jarring, Jill talked many times about how she wasn't used to the quiet. Plus since they're all unemployed there's not much to do when you're home all the time. I'd be miserable. So adding a baby (and not just one you visit but one that lives in the house and disrupts the quiet 24/7) might be great relief for them.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

I think the SHOCKED! reaction might also come form the fact that, while for us heather having sex without using any form of birth control means actively trying, for them it might not. For them having sex with no form of birth control is just "regular" sex. Maybe for them actively trying means charting or going to some extraordinary lengths. Although Abbie is (was?) a nurse so she should know better.

That being said, the fact that they are all shocked to get pregnant (barring any reason they might have to think that it wouldn't be possible) does make me roll my eyes at them.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

I feel like their “shocked” remarks can be summed up as - The Duggars are shocked when they get pregnant most likely due to their lack of proper sex education and their belief that the rhythm method is a form of reliable birth control and Jesus only gives you babies when you’re ready for them in life. So if you don’t feel ready for a baby, no worries you can totally have sex without condoms because God will just wait to bless your womb until you are “ready.”

• Upvote 20
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

So if you don’t feel ready for a baby, no worries you can totally have sex without condoms because God will just wait to bless your womb until you are “ready.”

Boy, too bad it doesn’t work that way.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

Also, babies are considered blessings, and Fundies are taught that they are unworthy of God and his blessings, so there may be a little bit of surprise when God is seen to bless them with a baby.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I feel like their “shocked” remarks can be summed up as - The Duggars are shocked when they get pregnant most likely due to their lack of proper sex education and their belief that the rhythm method is a form of reliable birth control and Jesus only gives you babies when you’re ready for them in life. So if you don’t feel ready for a baby, no worries you can totally have sex without condoms because God will just wait to bless your womb until you are “ready.”

Unless you’re not married yet. Then you WILL get pregnant from non-penetrative sex on the last day of your cycle because sex is only for married couples and babies prove it.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Smee said:

Unless you’re not married yet. Then you WILL get pregnant from non-penetrative sex on the last day of your cycle because sex is only for married couples and babies prove it.

"Don't have sex. You will get pregnant, and  die. Don't have sex in the missionary position, don't have sex standing up, just don't do it, okay, promise? Okay, now everybody take some rubbers. " ---Coach Carr

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 28
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work said:

"Don't have sex. You will get pregnant, and  die. Don't have sex in the missionary position, don't have sex standing up, just don't do it, okay, promise? Okay, now everybody take some rubbers. " ---Coach Carr

I’ve been thinking of this quote the last page or so! This is my favorite movie and you’ve just made my day! 

• Upvote 3

On 8/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, OhNoNike said:

they went to do that procedure where they put the dye in her fallopian tubes (sorry I forget the procedure’s name).   

Oh, the dreaded hysterosalpingogram! THE MOST painful procedure I've ever endured without anesthesia! I think I fainted on the table from the pain, and needed about 45 minutes before I could stand up! The horror~

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

13 hours ago, Smee said:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone quoted Mean Girls *happy sigh*

My little claim to fame: I went to high school with "Shane Oman". He was a couple years older than me so I didn't know him, but we have friends in common and I do know some of his family.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Also, babies are considered blessings, and Fundies are taught that they are unworthy of God and his blessings, so there may be a little bit of surprise when God is seen to bless them with a baby.

It’s sad how accurate you probably are. 

• Upvote 5

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, justmy2cents said:

It was so unpleasant that I blocked out the name myself ? 

No, it’s actually a Hysterosalpingogram. 

Yes - that was the WORST pain I have ever felt (disclaimer - never given birth to compare)

I blocked that out entirely too and I think I did tell them I was going to pass out. 

(I also said that went they went to do egg retrieval too, that was horrible too) 

Edited by Meggo
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

Yes - that was the WORST pain I have ever felt (disclaimer - never given birth to compare)

I blocked that out entirely too and I think I did tell them I was going to pass out. 

(I also said that went they went to do egg retrieval too, that was horrible too) 

Wow! I need to google this horrible procedure! I'm very very thankful I never had to go through that. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have handled that! I really am sorry to all of you who have had to do that. This is the first I'm hearing about it and it just sounds horrible, like a torture method. :( 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, the dreaded hysterosalpingogram! THE MOST painful procedure I've ever endured without anesthesia! I think I fainted on the table from the pain, and needed about 45 minutes before I could stand up! The horror~

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer I just don‘t see at the moment: If all patients agree that it‘s so painful, why can‘t they do it with anesthesia? I mean, you get one at the dentist‘s, so...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I found the hysterosalpingogram weird and uncomfortable, but not painfull as such. The cramping I had on and off later during the day though... My salpinges did not like that. 

I hope I feel the same about egg retrival and insertion, since I will (hopefully!) will go through that in about a month. No painkillers or sedation for the hysterosalpingogram, luckily they will give painkillers and a light sedative for the retrival!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

I had a hysterosalpingogram and literally felt nothing at all. I had no tubal blockages, though, so perhaps that’s why?  I was so terrified it was going to be painful and I literally felt nothing the entire time. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer I just don‘t see at the moment: If all patients agree that it‘s so painful, why can‘t they do it with anesthesia? I mean, you get one at the dentist‘s, so...

I almost had to do this procedure, but wound up not needing it when I found out I was pregnant. Here’s the ACOG information about the procedure:

https://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Hysterosalpingography

It states that local anesthesia can be used on the opening of the cervix, to ease discomfort when a tube is inserted to inject the dye. The issue is that the most painful part appears to be when the dye is actually injected into the Fallopian tubes. From what I’ve read, the feeling can be very painful for some women. As far as I know, there really isn’t a way to inject local anesthesia into that area directly. 

As for using an IV to give anesthesia, I’m not sure about that. My best guess is that there’s either a medical reason it isn’t given or the medical community just thinks most women don’t need it, so it isn’t offered. I was told to take over the counter pain medication an hour ahead of the procedure, but even women told that can experience a good deal of discomfort and pain.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Thorns said:

I found the hysterosalpingogram weird and uncomfortable, but not painfull as such. The cramping I had on and off later during the day though... My salpinges did not like that. 

I hope I feel the same about egg retrival and insertion, since I will (hopefully!) will go through that in about a month. No painkillers or sedation for the hysterosalpingogram, luckily they will give painkillers and a light sedative for the retrival!

I didn't do the hysterosalpingogram but I did do a retrieval with a local anesthetic. I also talked to my best friend about it (later, I didn't want to scare myself beforehand)- she did two retrievals. Her first round there wasn't that much to retrieve (I think 4 or 5 eggs) and she found it very manageable. Her second time and my only, we both had 15 eggs to retrieve. More eggs = more pain and discomfort. The worst part for me was the anesthetic admission and then the wait for it to take hold. I was in tears wondering how am I going to cope when the procedure hasn't even started yet. The retrieval turned out to be manageable but longer than I expected (about 15 minutes for 15 eggs). By the end I was getting the I'M REALLY OVER THIS feeling. I don't really know if it's due to pain or more due to intrusiveness of it all, probably the second. And I had an experienced doctor with, I presume, a quick hand. My friend also cried for her second. So, for us both it was a kind of experience where you tell yourself: "just grit your teeth and be happy for the number of eggs, hopefully it means that you won't have to go through this again."

To end on a positive note- that is exactly how it played out for both of us. We both got pregnant the first try after my only and her second retrieval- she now has a three year old and I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant. We also both have 4 frozen blastocysts (about 5 day old embryos) to possibly use in the future.

Oh, and insertion is nothing, really a piece of cake. It takes less than 5 minutes and if your body has mostly managed to heal after the retrieval (ovaries no longer as extended, less bloating) than it's all good.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 16

@Thorns - my egg retrieval was done with twilight anesthesia, so it was not painful at all. I felt worse before from all the bloating and after from the bloat recovery. I didn't do a fresh transfer, but my frozen transfer was not painful at all. WELL, except for when the speculum pinched me and it hurt like a mofo. But the transfer itself was really easy. Have you had IUIs? Embryo transfer is easier than that IMO, it just took a little longer because of how carefully the move with the embryo catheter versus a catheter of washed sperm.

My RE never made me do the HSG test, dye or saline. I was at almost zero risk for tube blockage and it was going to be pretty expensive, so he recommended just going forward with IUIs. We did find out during my mock transfer that I had a whole bunch of polyps. I will always wonder if they would have been seen with an HSG test and corrected sooner. Having the polyps scraped off during the hysteroscopy in the mock transfer was the most pain I've felt this whole process. I'd taken a valium and percocet or something, but they hadn't really kicked in yet. 

• Love 13

I was on something for my retrieval (I think they gave me valium the night before or something - I definitely wasn't out) - but they didn't retrieve anything. I have a tendency to ovulate when I'm damn good and ready - not when my medically controlled cycle thinks I should. So there was debate about if I had already ovulated by the time they went for the retrieval. Mostly what I remember about that procedure was being in a whole lot of pain - telling her to stop talking to me because I was going to pass out and I needed to focus on not doing that. Then I remember when they said I didn't have any eggs and this "never happened to anyone before", then crying on my husband - and then having SO much blood when I went to change. (and then when it happened the SECOND time just feeling more defeated) 

The HSG - I think I was given prescription Motrin for it. They didn't find any blockages - but that was barbaric. I don't wish ANY of that on ANYONE. From the HSG to the swiss-cheese-for brains that happened with the meds (I couldn't remember anything). I don't wish that on anyone. 

Edited by Meggo
  • Love 13

I didn't find my hysterosalpingogram painful but it was awkward because my doctor was called away that morning for an emergency so it was done by a doctor in the practice I had never met. I had a blockage on my left they blasted out and my OB was sure it was going result in a quick pregnancy the following month. Nope! I later did 9 IUIs before finally getting pregnant. The whole thing seems like some weird dream now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

13 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I didn't find my hysterosalpingogram painful but it was awkward because my doctor was called away that morning for an emergency so it was done by a doctor in the practice I had never met. I had a blockage on my left they blasted out and my OB was sure it was going result in a quick pregnancy the following month. Nope! I later did 9 IUIs before finally getting pregnant. The whole thing seems like some weird dream now. 

Agreed - it's like it's a movie playing in my head. I remember parts of it. But not all of it. I remember being REALLY angry because the fertility doc I'd been seeing didn't do the retrievals - I got sent to a clinic 2.5 hours away for that and NO ONE would talk to me about from the clinic. "You need to talk to your doctor" Yes, but he wasn't THERE.... 

I'm still bitter about it.

• Love 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic