IGNORED

Jana 9: So, What is Jana (and her Instagram) Being Primed For and Why?

HerNameIsBuffy

I hope my baby girl still calls herself Mumma's girl or Mumma's little girl when she is 90. 

She will always be my baby.

I am looking forward to having an adult relationship with her and all the experiences that it come with it though. 

I see nothing wrong with Jana calling herself that. I do get that in the context of her and her cult it could be worrisome, but as a parent, I can imagine it would be something lovely to hear

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I hope my baby girl still calls herself Mumma's girl or Mumma's little girl when she is 90. 

She will always be my baby.

I am looking forward to having an adult relationship with her and all the experiences that it come with it though. 

I see nothing wrong with Jana calling herself that. I do get that in the context of her and her cult it could be worrisome, but as a parent, I can imagine it would be something lovely to hear

That is what's worrisome. Anyone where else it would be a nice thing to hear. But we know in their cult unmarried women are still under their father's headship, rule, etc. Its probably just a nice comment or nothing weird or creepy. But in context with the cult its hard to wonder if its not a reference to him still being her headship even though she's almost thirty. 

• Upvote 8

This to me seems like one of those things where we as a community that is critical of fundamental beliefs *wants* to find something negative in what we may otherwise see as a benign if not strange comment. 

Admittedly my dad and I have a challenging relationship so I would never say something like that. But I saw a handful of fathers day posts using daddy in them, I think it's more a term of endearment that gets toted out around fathers day to add some sentimentality. It's also worth remembering different people have different names for parents (like it drives me bonkers when Jessa refers to JB as "Pops") 

As for the "His little girl" Jana was the first born daughter so it's entirely possible that they have a little more special bond because of that. I'm sure I've heard parents say before "you'll always be my little boy or little girl." 

There's definitely harmful, patriarchal, complimentarian and misogynistic belief systems in their world.  But I don't necessarily think that quote is hugely reflective of those. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

Per Instagram Jana is in Dallas. Would she be on her way to help the JinJer move? Stop at Waco? Is it too late for Big Sandy?

9 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Per Instagram Jana is in Dallas. Would she be on her way to help the JinJer move? Stop at Waco? Is it too late for Big Sandy?

I assumed that JB would send a couple of J’Male Slaves to Laredo to help out Jinjer on their move, and to drive their second car, because god forbid the Vuolos have to get all their own cars to CA on their own volition. Maybe Jana is going to babysit Felicity during the move?

• Upvote 4

There is an event going on at Dallas Market Hall where she is so most likely she is there for fun and some shopping.

Total Home & Gift Market is the premier destination for connecting retailers and manufacturers in home décor, gifts, gourmet, housewares, accessories and lighting. Dallas not only delivers more, but more of what matters. In addition to permanent showrooms, The Temps provide hundreds of additional unique resources across all product categories.

If I had know earlier I could have jumped on the train and gone :)

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I assumed that JB would send a couple of J’Male Slaves to Laredo to help out Jinjer on their move, and to drive their second car, because god forbid the Vuolos have to get all their own cars to CA on their own volition. Maybe Jana is going to babysit Felicity during the move?

Could be a TLC storyline of her "staging" the house they already sold or traveling with them to decorate the new place. Fans seem to love her, I'm sure they search for ways to include her

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Lawson commented on her “miles to Magnolia” post, because regardless of their incompatible personalities, hobbies, and responses to parentification and exploitation, they are united in their bizarre obsession with Chip and Joanna Gaines.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17

18 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

their bizarre obsession with Chip and Joanna Gaines.

What is it with fundies and this obsession anyway? I don't get it. I can look at their stuff at Target (and not buy it) and buy a cupcake at my local grocery store or bakery for a lot less. *shrugs* (as I head out the door to continue painting new patio chairs - $5 for both-thank you very much-a most unlike Gaines color choice of candy apple red.)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Maybe they all like Chip and Joanna because they want to be them. They are Christians and probably share some of the same beliefs as fundies, which probably makes them more acceptable than if they were a couple of liberal heathens. They have a fair number of children (5). But they managed to be wildly successful in a career that seems like it would be fairly fundy approved. So maybe they are hoping that if they can watch them and emulate them, they can move beyond their D list status and can be wealthy and successful themselves. All speculation of course.

Plus, if you're going to only slightly widen your view on acceptable television, they are probably tame enough to make the cut.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I wonder if Jana is being primed for her own show on Chip and Joanna's new network? 

I haven’t seen her name. The Duggar family isn’t followed on Twitter by anyone involved. And Jana isn’t followed by anyone in the loop either. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

The Duggar sisters have been fan girls for a good while. I think it was Jessa who once joked how Jana tries to emulate Joanna and Jana herself said on Instagram that Joanna was one of her “heroes.” I don’t get what all the hubbub is about either. But it’s not just the Duggars. I’ve noticed a lot of people within their circle of friends seem to idolize her. Some of the Duggars make the trek down to Texas 1-2 times per year. Magnolia seems to be a Mecca of some sort for fundies now. 

• Upvote 9

I think the Duggars are very limited in what they can/will watch on tv. Chip and Joanna made the Duggar cut, a,omg with Veggie Tales...

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

The Duggar sisters have been fan girls for a good while. I think it was Jessa who once joked how Jana tries to emulate Joanna and Jana herself said on Instagram that Joanna was one of her “heroes.” I don’t get what all the hubbub is about either. But it’s not just the Duggars. I’ve noticed a lot of people within their circle of friends seem to idolize her. Some of the Duggars make the trek down to Texas 1-2 times per year. Magnolia seems to be a Mecca of some sort for fundies now. 

I can see why the girls look up to Joanna. She is a wife, a mom, successful business owner. She isn’t in a box but out there living her dream. 

I have seen some pretty hardcore fundies dog on Joanna. I can’t remember who it was wrote a scathing blog post. The woman was so mad that Joanna had a career. It was horrible that they used a babysitter sometimes. It was horrible that the grandparents watched the kids but this gal had paragraphs about how horrible it was horrible that Chip had to watch the kids in the evening while she worked. 

• Upvote 4

I don't know if it has been discussed here before but Chip and Jo were members of  Antioch in Waco for quite some time. I am not sure if they still attend, but here is a link to Antioch's beliefs.

https://antiochwaco.com/beliefs/

Fundies, like many subcultures, will go out of their way to support the rare public figures that believe exactly as they do. 

Chip and Jo have some hardcore conservative values (and I would not be surprised if either or both come from a fundie background) that Gen 2 would no doubt have related to especially since they are also reality stars and southern based.

I spoke about this here before in the Vuolo's thread. Many conservative churches have gone out their way to appear contemporary in efforts to attract younger, next gen followers. However, the overall belief systems have not changed. If you look at Antioch's non denominational belief set you will see they are doing just that with their approach. 

Fundies liking chip and Jo and Ree Drummand make sense.

I am confused by the Michael Buble secular music obsession some of the Bates (and Vuolos? indulge). 

• Upvote 9

I’m no big Joanna Gaines fan because I think she only knows how to make things she likes and her designs are frequently not practical for daily life.

But I have to say if you just watch the show and go to her market or follow her products, you wouldn’t be preached to. They don’t emphasize their beliefs or show themselves going to church or praying or talk to people on the show about God.

They may have very conservative, literal biblical beliefs, but we do have a freedom of religion in this country. You can absolutely boycott them or find their beliefs distasteful or call out their lack of support for other peoples’ freedoms. But I’m personally not going to act like Joanna Gaines is the same as a religious group that denies women most choices in life and actively, loudly uses every platform to campaign for less rights for others.

This is why we have this conversation come up on here all the time about what fundie means. I support progressive ideals, but I also don’t think people who freely choose a more conservative religious viewpoint (and allow their children to do so) are the same as families on this site who deny agency and actively (beyond just how we assume they vote) work to deny other people’s rights through legislating and forcing their religious beliefs on others.

edit: not saying anyone is specifically doing this right now, but this has come up before with the Gaines family and I had thoughts

Edited by theotherelise
  • Upvote 20

4 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

I’m no big Joanna Gaines fan because I think she only knows how to make things she likes and her designs are frequently not practical for daily life.

But I have to say if you just watch the show and go to her market or follow her products, you wouldn’t be preached to. They don’t emphasize their beliefs or show themselves going to church or praying or talk to people on the show about God.

They may have very conservative, literal biblical beliefs, but we do have a freedom of religion in this country. You can absolutely boycott them or find their beliefs distasteful or call out their lack of support for other peoples’ freedoms. But I’m personally not going to act like Joanna Gaines is the same as a religious group that denies women most choices in life and actively, loudly uses every platform to campaign for less rights for others.

This is why we have this conversation come up on here all the time about what fundie means. I support progressive ideals, but I also don’t think people who freely choose a more conservative religious viewpoint (and allow their children to do so) are the same as families on this site who deny agency and actively (beyond just how we assume they vote) work to deny other people’s rights through legislating and forcing their religious beliefs on others.

edit: not saying anyone is specifically doing this right now, but this has come up before with the Gaines family and I had thoughts

Agreed. This site has a way of making any conservative Christian fundie. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I totally get why Jana and the Duggars love the Gaineses: they do a lot of construction and real estate work and probably legitimately get a lot out of their HGTV show. Why Lawson tweets buddy-buddy things at Chip is a mystery.

I don’t know much about the Gaineses outside of Duggar instagrams and merchandising at Target, so I couldn’t begin to trace the connections between their brand and their large fundie fanbase.

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

Fundies, like many subcultures, will go out of their way to support the rare public figures that believe exactly as they do. 

The Chik Fil-A effect!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Bwaha, I think this is what it's like living outside of the USA bubble, I just thought Magnolia was some chain store in the US with scarce locations.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I don't know if it has been discussed here before but Chip and Jo were members of  Antioch in Waco for quite some time. I am not sure if they still attend, but here is a link to Antioch's beliefs.

https://antiochwaco.com/beliefs/

I believe that they still attend Antioch. I’m not 100% sure though. I know after the BuzzFeed article came out about their pastor’s views on marriage Chip asked his SM followers to respect the views of the author of the article. They never came out and said they supported the pastor or not though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Bwaha, I think this is what it's like living outside of the USA bubble, I just thought Magnolia was some chain store in the US with scarce locations.

Lol outsider here too, I know Chip and Joanna only because I get TLC on my cable provider but their show is pretty boring to me and their designs kinda suck IMO. I prefer the property brothers 100%

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Lol outsider here too, I know Chip and Joanna only because I get TLC on my cable provider but their show is pretty boring to me and their designs kinda suck IMO. I prefer the property brothers 100% 

Yeah TLC is free here (at least where i live), but there's just sooo many shows that it's hard to follow. But waaait.... what's the premise of the Chip and Joanna show... is it... is it that show where they gut everything and make my dream recycled material shabby chic houses that I could never imagine living in for real?

On that same note, TLC in Finland, I honestly cannot watch Counting on (which is called "Jill and Jessa: Life Moves On" in Finnish and for some reason it cracks me up) because I just cannot watch the show with Finnish subtitles. And let's be honest, it's a cringey show. I was only able to watch a couple of them, and not even fully, because I was too weirded out by Mr. Jeremy Vuolo's mozzarella fetish. Still can't believe that dude used to play professional football in Finland. It doesn't really require that much skill here.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

@theotherelise

I am all for acknowledging nuance when it comes to the different divisions and expressions of Christianity especially fundie vs. conservative. However, please do not believe folks like Chip and Jo are benign in regards to values. Their beliefs aren't splattered across their brand. They also do not openly discriminate which is always good but they are the kinds of practicing conservative Christians who will donate large money to causes that infringe upon the same rights that the Duggars etc. come against. They most likely believe similarly to the Duggars in many areas based on the belief systems of the church they attend.

3 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I believe that they still attend Antioch. I’m not 100% sure though. I know after the BuzzFeed article came out about their pastor’s views on marriage Chip asked his SM followers to respect the views of the author of the article. They never came out and said they supported the pastor or not though. 

Yeah, they are in deep connections wise. Not sure what they personally believe at this point. I can't remember when I first found out, but it was before the Duggars started supporting their stuff heavily on social media. I think my husband told me he was informed that they were for family values etc.

For those that don't know, "family values" is code language for pro-life  and traditional family structure kind of agendas. That means somewhere they have publicized this information. I am sure the Duggars got a whiff of it which is why they promote.

• Upvote 13

On 6/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, grandmadugger said:

They never came out and said they supported the pastor or not though. 

They don't have to.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic