IGNORED

Jana 9: So, What is Jana (and her Instagram) Being Primed For and Why?

HerNameIsBuffy

2 minutes ago, viii said:

OMG was it really? That's too funny!

Yeah, it really annoyed my boss at the time, as he had a house in Sitka. (Sitka was the capital when we were Russian America). That was way back when Alaska had a film tax credit system, which is why there are a bunch of shows and movies filmed in Alaska during the late 2000s/early 2010s. 

I never actually saw The Proposal, I'm not a big movie person, so I can't speak to its accuracy or not. Sitka has a pretty distinctive look, though, with the Russian influence and the volcano looming nearby. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

You made a judgemental comment against a place you've never been. First of all, it's not true. There is some recycling in Anchorage, which is Alaska's largest city. I don't pay for curbside, but there is paper, cardboard, plastic, community composting, aluminum, and yard waste drop off stations. 

Some people take their stuff to recycling because it's free, where as trash costs money to drop at the dump or have picked up. 

It's also not exactly a priority due to questions about its effectiveness. Is it better to recycle if recycling creates more pollution? 

Outside of Anchorage, I don't know. It would be very expensive, time consuming, and use a lot of resources to move recyclable material around. So communities in Western Alaska tend to focus more on using things forever and banning single use plastics. Those bags blow around the tundra and into the ocean, so some communities banned them. We banned them in Anchorage and Wasilla. 

Could we do better? Of course. But I think the lower 48 could do better at buying less and repairing items instead of throwing them away. 

I do think people in the lower 48 need to focus more on buying reusable items and reusing them. 

My city banned plastic single use bags in April. Some people threw an absolute fit on April first when they were told that they had to use reusable bags or buy paper bags for 5 cents each. The city had been advising the change for months. The grocery store had been advertising the change for months. 

Recycling plastics in the lower 48 is more difficult now. There has been a lot of contamination in plastics so many city's limit the kinds of plastics they recycle. In my city you can get fined for throwing the wrong kind of plastic in the recycling bin. I try to buy thing in glass whenever possible now because that's easier to recycle.  

• Upvote 2

I will start this off by saying I have never been to Alaska. We are actually planning on doing a cruise with 7-10 day road trip on either the front end or the back end Summer 2021.

But while I haven't lived or visited Alaska I have lived somewhere remote and difficult to recycle. It was a small island so there was limited space for landfills and no recycling plant on island. Because of this this not much recycling actually happened. In the townhouses we lived in there was a dumpster for recycling and we dutifully used it until we found out the nothing was currently being shipped off for recycling, instead it all went to the rapidly filling landfill. Because of that we really got into reducing, reusing and repurposing. We already used refillable water bottles (couldn't live without my hyrdoflask!), bento containers and tupperware for lunches and reusable shopping bags but that was pretty much the end of it (aside from cloth diapers when the kids were babies) But in the three years we were there we picked up more habits, including brining out own take home containers to restaurants, buying more using clothing, bringing our egg cartons with us to the farmers market so they can be reused, using mesh bags for produce and pretty much eliminating anything single use that we could. I am sure there are more things we can improve on (there always is!) but I think we overall became more mindful of our garbage. So far, we have been sticking with it back on the mainland. We have only been in our house for about 6 weeks but so far our trash bin has only been about 1/3 full on the weekly pick up day and our recycling is less than half full.  I think that is pretty good for a family of 5 humans and 2 dogs. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

When I was a young thing I really wanted to visit Cicely from Northern Exposure ;)

Me too! I keep hoping Northern Exposure winds up on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I’ve checked out what it would cost to buy all the seasons and it’s super expensive, or was when last I looked.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

It’s disappointing it’s not on NF yet. They have plenty more obscure and older shows on there. When I was in junior high there was a contest of some sort where one of the Prizes was a day out with Janine Turner who played my favorite character )

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s disappointing it’s not on NF yet. They have plenty more obscure and older shows on there. When I was in junior high there was a contest of some sort where one of the Prizes was a day out with Janine Turner who played my favorite character )

She was one of the first of a new wave of independent, liberated women as portrayed in pop culture.

I had crushes on the doc and the local radio host, both.

And the doc’s secretary was perfection by the actor who played her.

My husband has never seen it and that’s a cryin shame I want to fix. I KNOW he’d love it, too.

(sorry I can’t recall any of the character names, right now. I’m old and it was so long ago).

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lizzybet said:

Me too! I keep hoping Northern Exposure winds up on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I’ve checked out what it would cost to buy all the seasons and it’s super expensive, or was when last I looked.

You might want to sign up with Swap A DVD. I have been a member for years. You can post DVDs you want to get rid of. Put the DVDs on a wish list. It may be a long wait sometimes but so cheap! https://www.swapadvd.com/home.php

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

In 10 years I think Jana will be fairly recently married to a widower with a couple of step-children and maybe one biological child. I think she’ll wait for Prince Charming for a few more years before realising he doesn’t exist, then settle for someone mature with a ready-made family to “catch up” to her sisters.

• I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Smee said:

In 10 years I think Jana will be fairly recently married to a widower with a couple of step-children and maybe one biological child. I think she’ll wait for Prince Charming for a few more years before realising he doesn’t exist, then settle for someone mature with a ready-made family to “catch up” to her sisters.

Jana does have a slightly longer shelf life than most unmarried fundies her age because she is a Duggar.  But I agree, if she waits too much longer to marry, she’s going to end up with a widower (who may marry her out of necessity) and an instant family. If she wants to be married a bit before bringing children into the picture, she has to get on it ASAP.

• Upvote 3

I think Jana is as steeped in Kool-Aid and more than any of the Duggar children. She has had the most time at home to be steeped in Kool-Aid and seems genuinely close to Michelle. I actually think part of the reason Jana might not be married is she doesn't find anyone to be as godly as her godly parents are. I think the other reason being she hasn't met the right person yet. I do think in a couple of years, her mindset will shift, and she will settle down with someone. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

26 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I actually think part of the reason Jana might not be married is she doesn't find anyone to be as godly as her godly parents are

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Given that this isn't exactly a fan site I'm a little surprised at how generous a lot of this thread has been about why she isn't married (she wants true love with The One, she wants to care for the children, etc), as if she wasn't raised in a cult. I definitely think she deserves sympathy for being grown into her parent's design like a bonsai tree, but she's not a princess or a saint. I think she just has unrealistic standards and frankly, too high an opinion of her parents. I don't blame her for that, but I wouldn't praise her for it either. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I can't be the only one who read she and JD were going to the Bahamas to help with the aftermath of Dorian and thought, "that kind of help I doubt they need."  I really hope they are doing something useful and not just preaching.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I can't be the only one who read she and JD were going to the Bahamas to help with the aftermath of Dorian and thought, "that kind of help I doubt they need."  I really hope they are doing something useful and not just preaching.

Not sure if you've seen it but there's a lot of discussion in the main duggar thread about their little Bahamas missioncation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 9/5/2019 at 4:19 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

If she wants to be married a bit before bringing children into the picture, she has to get on it ASAP.

Damn, it’s not like she’s 40. 

• Upvote 7

Widower...come on guys, how many young widowers of fundie bend are there in 2019+?

Jana is most likely single because she is an introvert who is finally enjoying a bit of peace and quiet. I don’t think it’s a parent, sibling or God thing. I think she’s finally able to sit, breathe and relax every now and again; sleepless nights d/t sister mom duties are probably much fewer and farther between.

• Upvote 5

On 9/6/2019 at 12:43 AM, Bad Wolf said:

@Audrey2Can I agree a thousand times? What happened to Tabitha was criminal.

Have there ever been updates on them?? Any little blessings?

All these discussions of Jana/widower, I just think always of India Wilkes in GWTW [the book]

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

OK, so if Jana waits until she is in her mid 30s, how likely is it that she's going to find a normal never-married fundie guy her age that she actually wants to marry?  There simply aren't that many out there since they're highly encouraged to marry young.  If a fundie male is 35+ and single, chances are they are a widower, a weirdo, or a sex pest.  Or maybe an Arndt.

She's stated on multiple occasions that she would like to marry but just hasn't found the right one yet.  I agree that she likes the freedom she has, but isn't purposely delaying marriage.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Have there ever been updates on them?? Any little blessings?

No updates. They learned the hard way that marrying your daughter to a convicted rapist doesn't make you look all that great. Not that that means they opposed the marriage - just that they have kept it very much on the DL since they got a ton of pushback around their engagement.

The most we've gotten was a Christmas 2018 picture with the whole Paine family, including all the grandkids. At the time, Tabitha and Tim apparently didn't have any kids yet, although Tabitha's midsection is pretty hidden so she could have been pregnant at the time. The picture is on Fundie Wiki if you're interested: https://fundamentalists.fandom.com/wiki/Paine_Family?file=Screen_Shot_2019-03-05_at_5.35.36_PM.png#cite_note-9

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, JillyO said:

No updates. They learned the hard way that marrying your daughter to a convicted rapist doesn't make you look all that great. Not that that means they opposed the marriage - just that they have kept it very much on the DL since they got a ton of pushback around their engagement.

The most we've gotten was a Christmas 2018 picture with the whole Paine family, including all the grandkids. At the time, Tabitha and Tim apparently didn't have any kids yet, although Tabitha's midsection is pretty hidden so she could have been pregnant at the time. The picture is on Fundie Wiki if you're interested: https://fundamentalists.fandom.com/wiki/Paine_Family?file=Screen_Shot_2019-03-05_at_5.35.36_PM.png#cite_note-9

He even gives off creepy vibe in pictures. They really couldn't find anyone better? ANYONE is better.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

He even gives off creepy vibe in pictures. They really couldn't find anyone better? ANYONE is better.

The Tabitha Paine thing HAUNTS me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

The Tabitha Paine thing HAUNTS me.

LITERALLY anyone is better. They could have found a nice conservative Baptist who isn't fundie but moldable. I'm sure there's a ton of conservative but not fundie men that would have been happy with her. 

• Upvote 8

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic