IGNORED

Joy & Austin 27 - Joy and Austin lost baby Annabell, TRIGGER WARNING miscarriage and stillbirth

HerNameIsBuffy

8 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Here in the UK the done thing was to rear face as soon as they grew out of the smallest car seat, which was usually about 8 or 9 months.

I live in Canada, but with my first baby (2009), I didn't know anything about car seat safety. I thought when they outgrew the infant seat, you turned them then. My chunky baby was turned around at five months.  ?

Luckily,  I knew better when 2 and 3 came along,  and they were rear facing until they were over three.

• Upvote 3

In Sweden we have recommendations.

• children are recommended to stay rear facing until the age of four and recently five. There is no laws other that an approved child seat should be used. At three years old 80% of the children are rear facing as of last year.

• The law says that all children have to have an approved child seat until they are 135 centimeters tall.

Sweden has the lowers child mortality in car accidents in the world. And we’re planning to rent car seats through our insurance company, so we always have the right size and don’t have to postpone a change. And you get to keep the last one.

Some stats..

Translation of the text in the beginning of the picture.

Children up to the age of six, percentage of children rear facing 2006 and 2019.

f53a193055f7c1e89c45ee42bf77119c.jpg&key=665762b4da7825e6aff01c2d94343c19bd1bce066d89f5ee4cc01e9945d2f8ea

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

The whole I didn't do me any harm mentality when it comes to car seat safety does annoy me. I was out my car seat when I started school and our cars had no seatbelts in the back. That was not uncommon in the early 90s here because most older model cars didn't have rear seat belts and the laws were pretty lax. Times change people become more aware of safety and my parents wouldn't dream of not having a child in a car without a car seat or booster seat. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

Question: 

What do you do if your kid gets car sick? Just asking as I myself can not even sit in the back of a car (must be front facing forward) or ride backward on a train, and I’m almost entirely sure that my kids’ inner ears will suck as much as mine. :) 

Honestly, we turned Little NQ a couple of weeks after his second birthday for just this reason. He'd been fine before that, but apparently his dad's motion sickness kicked in then. We still have an issue with it forward-facing, but we have a longer window before he actually gets sick.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Can I ask where everyone's seeing that Gideon's front facing? Is it an instagram post that got deleted or somewhere else I didn't think to check?

My kids are old enough that extended rear facing wasn't a thing yet when they were little and they all got turned around by age 1.  The younger 2 would have done fine staying rear-facing longer but my oldest definitely was one of those that screamed in the car until she turned around and still gets car-sick now 20 years later.  I do agree that extended rear-facing is better in theory but if your kid is screaming constantly it puts the driver on edge and more likely to get in an accident which is less safe overall. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

22 minutes ago, Speedy said:

Can I ask where everyone's seeing that Gideon's front facing? Is it an instagram post that got deleted or somewhere else I didn't think to check?

It was Joy’s instagram story. It’s been over 34 hrs so it’s gone from her profile, but you can see it in her tagged posts

• Thank You 2

In Australia (or NSW, anyway) the law is rear-facing until at least 6 months, then forward facing with inbuilt harness until at least 4 years, then in a booster until at least 7 years. But those are the minimums, and the recommendations are to use the height markers on the approved car seat and to remain in a booster seat until 145cm tall. My son is 7 1/2 and he’s not quite 130cm tall, so he could legally not be in a car seat but has a long time and lot of growing before I’ll actually take it out. My youngest daughter literally turned from rear-facing to forward-facing today, she’s *just* at the shoulder markers on her seat and she’ll be 3 in September. My kids aren’t especially short.

I have conflicted feelings about it all. On the one hand, there are kids my daughter’s age who have been in similar restraints, considered safe and legal, for 2 years now. On the other, I read threads like this and talk to other mums who seem horrified at the very idea of turning her around when she’s not in pain, screaming etc and there are seats I could buy to keep her RF longer. It makes me feel so guilty that we’ve essentially put her in a less safe position for convenience. But I’m kind of tired of being so pedantic about it too, especially when all the conversation about car safety is based on an assumption that you’ll be in a serious car accident. My parents, in-laws, husband all commented frequently on how her knees are practically in her face and it’s a pain strapping her in and surely she’s big enough now etc etc, but I’m the one who drives her most of the time so I ignored them for months. I finally caved because she finally reached the height markers on a seat that was one of the safest on the market when I bought it before she was born. Still, the mummy guilt and pressure to be better.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

My son will be a little under 2 1/2 year when baby #2 is born. Our little car can't accommodate two rear facing seats. I'm really nervous about turning him though so we may buy a new car if we can figure out how to afford it. I want a third row so bad! No one other than my husband seems to think it's a big deal though. It surprises me how much people don't seem to care are car seat safety 

• Upvote 6

I'm old enough that I rode in the back of my dad's pick-up truck. I was back there all the time unless it rained or snowed. It was a small truck so it was pretty tight for me to squeeze in between my parents. Then, we had a station wagon, the big old kind with paneling on the side. I sat in the way back and would make a little fort back there. It was so much fun. I had my kids in the mid 90's to early 2000's and of course used proper car seats and boosters. But I'm not going to lie, I loved car rides when I was a kid. Thank the lords we never crashed. ? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

33 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm old enough that I rode in the back of my dad's pick-up truck. [...] Thank the lords we never crashed. ?

Oh IKR? When I was a baby my parents would drive cross-country with me in a bassinet on the backseat, nothing strapped into anything. When I was older, my dad would let me sit on his lap while he drove so I could "steer". I rode in the back of a pickup truck a few times. I shudder to think about this stuff now.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

New post

IMG_7320.PNG

I thought we weren’t supposed to do this anymore... 

(I was called out for it)

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 6/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, NotQuiteMotY said:

Honestly, we turned Little NQ a couple of weeks after his second birthday for just this reason. He'd been fine before that, but apparently his dad's motion sickness kicked in then. We still have an issue with it forward-facing, but we have a longer window before he actually gets sick.

I dont know if it's approved for kids, but my husband has to take dramamine before any car/plane ride unless it's super short. He'll often need it for like a 30 min ride if hes not driving. I don't have kids, but any similar medicine that's safe for them could be worth trying. 

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

You're right. We're not supposed to do this.

(I also was called out for it)

If anyone does think that it's absolutely necessary to post a picture, you must add valuable commentary on why its worth posting and discussing. I don't believe that we should be using these threads like manual "post notifications." Those who care about that will have their own post notifications turned on for Joy's Instagram. If the new post is worth discussing, we all come here and discuss it. This picture doesn't have that effect, so there isn't really a need to post it.

@Daisy0322 we were both warned not to post pictures, especially when they have no significance and we can go to Joy's Instagram look for ourselves. Or you could just add a link to that specific post. Two little cousins playing is not very significant of any harmful beliefs -- so not much worth discussing. I won't downvote you or anything, but I do want to suggest that you should probably go back and review some guidelines. This is just a friendly reminder. I am not an admin or anything, but they don't FJ to look like a Duggar scrapbook because that's what it's for. There's this thread if you want to discuss anything more. Thanks a bunch if you read this!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

8 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I dont know if it's approved for kids, but my husband has to take dramamine before any car/plane ride unless it's super short. He'll often need it for like a 30 min ride if hes not driving. I don't have kids, but any similar medicine that's safe for them could be worth trying. 

I have been taking that (I even cart it back from the US because it is only thing I trust) since I was little kid. I have really horrible motion sickness on almost any type of transport (except a bike :) ). So far my kids don't seem to have inherited it which surprises me.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Sorry I didn't know about the new rule I've been gone awhile

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Sorry I didn't know about the new rule I've been gone awhile

I’m pretty sure it’s not a new rule actually. It seems to have been in place for a while now, but most people didn’t notice it until recently. The rule was made partly due to the whole “avoiding becoming a Fundie scrapbook” thing, but it was also made due to the amount of storage space all those pictures take up and the impact it has on running the site effectively. You didn’t realize before, but now you do. No big deal - just think whether a photo is really worth discussing before sharing next time. :)  

(Disclaimer: I’m not a Helpmeet and I don’t play one on TV. This is just what I remember seeing in other recent discussions about the topic.)

• Upvote 11

For all those who find interesting or compelling photos, just make a post about the photo, where it can be found and why you think it’s important to the thread...you cover all your bases without sucking up bandwidth or getting a demerit. 

• Upvote 5

Miniway is getting close to both the hight and weight restrictions on his rear facing car seat so we need to buy him a new one soon. He is 5,5 now and luckily still comfortable and happy. 

We spent a month in Australia visiting my inlaws earlier this year and I was sure he was going to hate being rear faced at home after a month being faced forward there but he had no complaints at all. 

As far as I understand the research it would be safer for everyone to be rear faced (except probably the driver) but that’s not really practical. 

On 6/8/2019 at 2:26 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

The whole I didn't do me any harm mentality when it comes to car seat safety does annoy me. 

Same! The once it did harm aren’t here to tell their story, are they? When it comes to car safety I find that kind of attitude extra weird. It doesn’t matter if you’re the best driver in the world, you have no idea who else is on the road with you, how much they have been drinking or how tired they are. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

It seems that while the family was having fun in Branson, Hannie get shipped to Joy as sister mom/J-slave to cook and take care of Gideon.

It could be that she enjoy been able to spend some time in a less chaotic and more boyish environment than her usual, but it still make me a little bit  sad 

You could find the photos on joy insta 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

It seems that while the family was having fun in Branson, Hannie get shipped to Joy as sister mom/J-slave to cook and take care of Gideon.

It could be that she enjoy been able to spend some time in a less chaotic and more boyish environment than her usual, but it still make me a little bit  sad 

You could find the photos on joy insta 

They were at family camp together. She probably did help out with Gideon but don't think she was slaving away in the kitchen. Jer was there too. Not just Hannie.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

They were at family camp together. She probably did help out with Gideon but don't think she was slaving away in the kitchen. Jer was there too. Not just Hannie.

There are pics of her working in the kitchen and holding Gideon.  And no pics of Jer doing work of any kind. 

Not sure why you think she wouldn't be put to work as a J'slave. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

On 6/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Daisy0322 said:

My son will be a little under 2 1/2 year when baby #2 is born. Our little car can't accommodate two rear facing seats. I'm really nervous about turning him though so we may buy a new car if we can figure out how to afford it. I want a third row so bad! No one other than my husband seems to think it's a big deal though. It surprises me how much people don't seem to care are car seat safety 

We will probably be in the same boat. If all goes well, my son will just be turning 2 when our second arrives. We have a tiny ford fiesta that is not paid off yet. I'm hoping a bucket seat will fit behind the driver's side and that will at least buy us some time to figure out how to make two RF carseats fit or how to afford another vehicle (I would love a mini van). 

• Upvote 1

I think I've said this before but its alarming just how many Duggar grand-babies look like Jim-Bob.

Israel, Samuel, Gideon, Garrett and Henry. They all look alike. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic