IGNORED

Joy & Austin 27 - Joy and Austin lost baby Annabell, TRIGGER WARNING miscarriage and stillbirth

HerNameIsBuffy

I can’t imagine many decent OBGYNs would be interested in caring for a woman who has had 6,7 or more csections and who was clearly not interested in applying some safe healthcare practices with her own body. For all the “leaving it up to God”, if you’re birthing giant babies which necessitates  csections, isn’t that God telling you something about your particular body, and shouldn’t you listen? * Leaving it up to God means you might not get the answer or outcome you want.

* I had c sections too, so please do not think I’m looking down on that mode of delivery.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Not trying to derail, but are the ads listening to me!?! I was on page 5 and discussing a trip we are taking with my husband who is sitting next to me. Boom page 6 ads for the ferry line we could take. I was not searching any of this on my comp. Kinda creepy.

To add to the actual topic: Joy's big babies and possible need for multiple C-sections make me really scared. I am seriously afraid she will be the one who dies from all this birth as many as you can nonsense they have pounded into her. :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/amp/

There are so many ways that places get info for ads.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, viii said:

Your phone is 100% listening to you. I had my phone in my purse and stopped on the sidewalk to chat with a friend, who was headed to the travel agency to book a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I had mentioned that I had used two different cruise lines, but never Norwegian. I carried on my way and then went home. Later I was scrolling through Facebook and I kept getting ads for Norwegian Cruise Lines. It's pretty creepy. 

This is sick, but it's become a game of sorts between my boyfriend and me. When we watch Hulu, we try to make conversation about a specific product we have no discernible interest in (for example, diapers or diving watches) and try to see how long it takes for the commercials to reflect that. We've influenced it to show enough advertisements that it couldn't be coincidental. 

• Upvote 9
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Genuine question here. Let's say that Joy keeps getting pregnant, even after she's exceeded the recommendations for the number of c-sections she ideally she should get. It's not as though a physician is going to turn her away, right? I mean, the baby needs to be delivered somehow. I can see her being referred to a high-risk OBGYN in that instance, but it essentially seems as though the number of children she has is up to her, regardless of risk. She has to be delivered if she gets pregnant and carries to term.

Yes, like others have mentioned she might have trouble finding an OB-GYN to take her on as a long-term patient but if she shows up at the hospital in labor then she's going to be treated no matter what her history is.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

Yes, like others have mentioned she might have trouble finding an OB-GYN to take her on as a long-term patient but if she shows up at the hospital in labor then she's going to be treated no matter what her history is.

And what a crappy, crappy thing to do, especially if she chooses to show up ready to deliver, (although if she can’t get care because she’s had so many c-sections and can not find a MD to treat, the chances of her coming into a hospital ready to deliver would likely be low). Labor and delivery units are set up to deal with X number of patients at a time. They have an idea of who will show up based on those who have registered at that hospital,  and who are under the care of one of the admitting OBs associated with that hospital. If it’s a busy day, it is not rare for a unit to hold off admitting patients who are not in fairly active labor d/t bed space...and in waltzs  Joy DF, needing  immediate care, although she has avoided getting medical care for the last 9 months. Is there no thought of the other patients on that day? 

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, PVMom said:

There's no rule against comments about Duggars gaining or losing weight.   Why would this be someone's pet cause to call out posters comments....because you have a personal issue with weight so therefore this whole board can't discuss their weight?    WTH.

This place is not about rules. This place is about members deciding as a group what is acceptable behavior and calling it out when people act like jerks. What will happen, though, is that if people act like jerks often enough and dig in on idiocy like this, a rule will be born. So cut it out. You obviously don’t know how things have worked around here for well over a decade. Learn.

Self-policing is not going away just because someone whines. 

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4

9 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Christians in these circles have to have a testimony of some kind, and it has to include something "bad" that you were saved from. If you were a good kid that followed the Christian path from earliest childhood, what else are you going to say?

I remember hearing a woman preacher who said she always felt bad as a teenager, because she grew up in a Christian home and didn't have a big salvation story. She said she felt better when she realized all the things she could have needed saved from; in a sense she turned her story into a story of preventative salvation. She thought of all the things she might have gotten into if she hadn't grown up the way she did.

I guess she deserves points for creativity at least!

• Upvote 19

I used to think the people I knew that talked about Facebook/your phone listening to your conversations were just conspiracy theorists (and to be fair, some of them are).....

Until the time my son was at a birthday party at Main Event, and got one of those magazine cover photo booth pictures. My phone was in my pocket, and another parent and I were talking about photo booths, how we used to love them, how they've changed, all that stuff... Later, after the conversation ended, I pulled out my phone to scroll through Facebook, and the first thing I saw was an ad for owning your own photo booths

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Re phones, listening etc

To be fair, most people rolled their eyes at the thought of it when conversations first started happening about it. I made a post about it saying that I know someone who works as an international marketer and she told me outright that they definitely do it. I got downvoted for the post - but people seem a lot more willing to believe it now.

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Have we talked about Gideon's name choice in the context of this questioning faith conversation? Gideon was a figure who tested God three times, whom God was patient with, and who was a loyal follower of God in the end. I think they are doubling down and this does not bode well for any secret rebellion.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Guys- am I reading this right? Your doctors can refuse to take care of you???? What the hell? I mean, it’s fine to refuse medical action to help her GET pregnant again (or one more plastic surgery) but if she falls pregnant she should be able to get a doctor to care for her. That’s is some messed up shit. I mean can a doctor refuse to treat people after a sport accident? Because no one had to do a potentially dangerous activity. Or if you’ve been in a car accident?

Sorry but that is just wrong on so many levels, morally, ethically (and in my country thank god legally). 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Guys- am I reading this right? Your doctors can refuse to take care of you???? What the hell? I mean, it’s fine to refuse medical action to help her GET pregnant again (or one more plastic surgery) but if she falls pregnant she should be able to get a doctor to care for her. That’s is some messed up shit. I mean can a doctor refuse to treat people after a sport accident? Because no one had to do a potentially dangerous activity. Or if you’ve been in a car accident?

Sorry but that is just wrong on so many levels, morally, ethically (and in my country thank god legally). 

If it's an emergency situation where your life is in danger (a bad car accident, etc), then they cannot refuse to treat you in the ER. But healthcare providers here in the US can dump you for a lot of reasons. Clearly, issues related to religion, race, ethnicity, etc. aren't legal reasons. But reasons such as inability to pay for a non-emergency office appointment, being unpleasant or aggressive during a visit, or feeling that the patient may sue them are all legal here, I'm afraid. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

In my understanding (which to be fair is pretty limited) the patient has much less ability to sue their doctor for an undesirable outcome in Germany compared to the US.  The possibility of medical malpractice suits are one of the biggest reasons doctors won't accept higher-risk patients in the US, and I believe the insurance they have to carry against such lawsuits is one of the reasons medical care is so much more expensive than in other places. (In my experience the cost of health care without insurance in the US is about 10 times what it is without insurance in Germany.) 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

In my understanding (which to be fair is pretty limited) the patient has much less ability to sue their doctor for an undesirable outcome in Germany compared to the US.  The possibility of medical malpractice suits are one of the biggest reasons doctors won't accept higher-risk patients in the US, and I believe the insurance they have to carry against such lawsuits is one of the reasons medical care is so much more expensive than in other places. (In my experience the cost of health care without insurance in the US is about 10 times what it is without insurance in Germany.) 

Actually only 0.1% of our whole population have no (general or private) health insurance. It’s mandatory but obviously it’s possible not to have one and you won’t get prosecuted.

Of course you will get treated without health insurance. But you will have to pay yourself. Also important: public health insurance cannot throw you out when you get seriously/chronically ill. 

But I believe you are right that US prices are probably higher and we definitely don’t have the kind of medical malpractice suits and definitely not with the same sums. An undesirable outcome is not the same as malpractice for example. Things can go wrong without anyone’s fault whatsoever. 

Reading here (topics like parental leave, number of vacation days, health insurance, gun laws, sex education, access to birth control and abortions...) often makes me appreciate my own country so much more.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Actually only 0.1% of our whole population have no (general or private) health insurance. It’s mandatory but obviously it’s possible not to have one and you won’t get prosecuted.

Of course you will get treated without health insurance. But you will have to pay yourself. Also important: public health insurance cannot throw you out when you get seriously/chronically ill. 

But I believe you are right that US prices are probably higher and we definitely don’t have the kind of medical malpractice suits and definitely not with the same sums. An undesirable outcome is not the same as malpractice for example. Things can go wrong without anyone’s fault whatsoever. 

Reading here (topics like parental leave, number of vacation days, health insurance, gun laws, sex education, access to birth control and abortions...) often makes me appreciate my own country so much more.

Right, I know health insurance is required, I was just trying to compare the actual cost (pre-insurance) of healthcare. I know these prices from my experience in Germany variously not having health insurance (they don't demand it if you're there on a 90-day or less visa-less stay), having American insurance that required paying first and then making a claim, and having visits that aren't covered by German insurance. 

The average price for a doctor's visit here seems to be about 10 euros (just for talking to the doctor) and that's less than half of what just my co-pay for an insurance-covered visit would be in the US (and that's with what's considered good insurance there).  When I was living in Germany with American insurance I never even bothered to submit a claim to my insurance company because the total cost of care here was less than what I would pay even with insurance in the US. (This may not have been true for an emergency or a serious health condition, but for routine care it was the case.) 

Speaking of birth control access, I was really surprised to learn that contraception care isn't covered by insurance here (in the US it is since Obamacare) but again, it was only 20 euros to see my gynecologist and get the care I needed, so I wasn't that upset. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

Interestingly Google apparently has samples of confidential meetings in their databases somewhere.

Source?

21 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

For the store they can track you navigating around the store.  From memory it was via wifi (not you necessarily connected to it, but by the strength of the signals to the access points it has that 'there is this potential wifi available here' touching base) but it could be via the internet connection I can't remember.

It's called geolocation and you should be able to disable it from your phone.

17 hours ago, viii said:

Your phone is 100% listening to you. I had my phone in my purse and stopped on the sidewalk to chat with a friend, who was headed to the travel agency to book a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I had mentioned that I had used two different cruise lines, but never Norwegian. I carried on my way and then went home. Later I was scrolling through Facebook and I kept getting ads for Norwegian Cruise Lines. It's pretty creepy. 

Let me guess, she is your friend on Facebook too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, adidas said:

Re phones, listening etc

To be fair, most people rolled their eyes at the thought of it when conversations first started happening about it. I made a post about it saying that I know someone who works as an international marketer and she told me outright that they definitely do it. I got downvoted for the post - but people seem a lot more willing to believe it now.

I remember you talking about this (or even that actual post?) and I did turn things off on my phone. My hubs thought it was a bit much at the time, but honestly looking at things like Alexa now and the addmissions that things "listening" to us all the time, makes it not seem so crazy. He was also a bit amazed by ads doing that yesterday. (again to clarify, he was the one searching things on his laptop and was never on mine, but mine ended up with the ads, and we don't have Alexa or anything, just our phones, but they were laying there).

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

@StraightOuttaArkansas it is way more easy if they just use geolocation you know. They assume that if you are somewhere near a train station or something like that, then you may be on a trip and you could be interested in other related activities. Or at least this is how it happened to me a couple of times. I get house related ads because I manage a couple of holiday houses for work. Or I get animal videos on fb since I post about my dog and cats (hope this make sense I'm a bit tired since is a crappy day here cold and rainy)

FIFY sorry, maybe I overstepped but you had good points and it was a pity if language barriers prevented someone from understanding what you meant. 

Btw here the weather is still shitty and I am in bed with some fever, not much but enough to make my bones ache and post silly things. /Self-pity moment

Seriously though, I can't believe it's nearly June. Did you see they had to change the course of the Giro d'Italia because of snow? If they kept the original course they would have arrived here. Crazy.Screenshot_2019-05-29-11-56-34-766_com.android.chrome.png.e6ba08ba6e7071623ce867195243c9e1.png

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 6

23 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

FIFY sorry, maybe I overstepped but you had good points and it was a pity if language barriers prevented someone from understanding what you meant. 

Btw here the weather is still shitty and I am in bed with some fever, not much but enough to make my bones ache and post silly things. /Self-pity moment

Seriously though, I can't believe it's nearly June. Did you see they had to change the course of the Giro d'Italia because of snow? If they kept the original course they would have arrived here. Crazy.Screenshot_2019-05-29-11-56-34-766_com.android.chrome.png.e6ba08ba6e7071623ce867195243c9e1.png

Oh yeah I saw it, when i told my mom she like "are you kidding me??" Is almost June and I'm still with the duvet on the bed!! Don't get me wrong I'm happy to have had at least a month less of crazy hot weather but I'm craving sunny days now. 

Ps thanks for the correction is always helpful, I was on the couch almost half asleep with the cats on me...I would probably have made a mess even in Italian ?

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Source?

It's called geolocation and you should be able to disable it from your phone.

Let me guess, she is your friend on Facebook too.

LaPap, it has been confirmed over here that Alexa devices are spying on private conversations and Amazon staff listens in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/04/12/amazon-staff-are-listening-to-alexa-conversations-heres-what-to-do/#643c851a71a2

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

6 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

LaPap, it has been confirmed over here that Alexa devices are spying on private conversations and Amazon staff listens in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/04/12/amazon-staff-are-listening-to-alexa-conversations-heres-what-to-do/#643c851a71a2

Yes I know. But some people were talking about phones. Phones don't listen to you. They can locate you, they record your activities in so many ways that really there's no need to actually listen to people.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

In the US, you have the right to receive care in the ED, regardless of financial status/ability to pay.  This also means you can be transferred to a different facility if you need a higher level of care.  We call it the EMTALA. 

That being said, doctors are able to "fire" you as a patient if you continually disregard their rules, so to speak.  It becomes a legal issue very quickly--the patient can sue the physician--and win, even though the patient did not stay within guidelines.  

We also have to look out for our own safety.  I've read about nurses who have been strangled with their stethoscope (in the ED).  I haven't heard about much in the way of clinic violence, but I'm sure its out there, too.

Edited by 3splenty
  • Upvote 10

39 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Yes I know. But some people were talking about phones. Phones don't listen to you. They can locate you, they record your activities in so many ways that really there's no need to actually listen to people.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wjbzzy/your-phone-is-listening-and-its-not-paranoia

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

There are a lot of articles about it.  Some I found in a brief search:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4295350/did-you-know-google-has-been-secretly-recording-you-heres-how-to-find-the-creepy-audio-files-that-are-monitoring-your-conversations-every-day/

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/10/so-google-records-all-the-microphone-audio-all-the-time-after-all/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/google-voice-search-records-stores-conversation-people-have-around-their-phones-but-files-can-be-a7059376.html

It, as with the Alexa/Google Home devices has to do with the keywords used.

Here's an article about deleting the recorded conversations from your Google Home device:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/17594802/google-home-how-to-delete-conversations-recorded

Edited to add:

Here's an article from 2013 about stores tracking you via WiFi.

https://lifehacker.com/how-retail-stores-track-you-using-your-smartphone-and-827512308?IR=T

Edited by Someone Out There
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

This is just anecdotes and suppositions. I think it happened to you too that someone accidentally dialled your number while their phone was in their pockets or in the purse. How much did you hear when answering? Usually I hear just noises and if I hear voices they're too muffled to understand anything.

And if I talk to Alexa or Siri or Google I fully expect to be recorded. Maybe because laws here mandate that when you set up such services you have to be made aware of this.

• Upvote 2

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic