IGNORED

Josh, Anna, the M' kids Part 20: Girl Needs Some Serious Therapy

HerNameIsBuffy

I work with juvenile sex offenders in my line of work. They all have to go through intensive therapy at a certified sex abuse program. The way Josh was dealt with is just setting him up to re-offend. I say believe what you want, even if your beliefs are shitty, you have the right to pursue them but at the same time you need to be responsible for your actions. That's what really drives me crazy about the Duggars, instead of being decent humans who admit their son has a problem, they hide it at the expense of the victims and Josh. 

• Upvote 22

My mom is one of the people who act like abortion is the only thing that matters. It drives me crazy and I definitely don't follow her on social media or engage on conversations related to her crazy opinions. I just don't understand how all of the Duggar's are soo brainwashed. I was raised very sheltered, I would say fundlie-lite, fundie-wanna-be, and I started thinking it was all a bunch of bullshit really early on. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened with any of the Duggars? ?

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, ati_escapee said:

My mom is one of the people who act like abortion is the only thing that matters. It drives me crazy and I definitely don't follow her on social media or engage on conversations related to her crazy opinions. I just don't understand how all of the Duggar's are soo brainwashed. I was raised very sheltered, I would say fundlie-lite, fundie-wanna-be, and I started thinking it was all a bunch of bullshit really early on. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened with any of the Duggars? ?

My mom is the same way. She proudly tells everyone that when she goes to vote, she knows nothing about the person she's voting for...she just votes for everyone who is against abortion. That's all she cares about. Um...really mom? I wouldn't be bragging about that. Makes you sound extremely shallow & ignorant. Downright dumb. Ugh. 

• Upvote 20

3 hours ago, ati_escapee said:

I'm guessing you weren't beaten and blanket-trained into keeping sweet? (Apologies if I'm wrong--I'm just speculating on what would keep all of them so brainwashed.)

As many here have said, these one issue voters are never going to stop abortion.   But what gets me is that they keep electing public officials who are eroding away civil rights,  weakening the Constitution, and reversing all the advances we've made in every arena from women's rights to environmental protections, all with the goal of reversing Roe v. Wade.  Why can't they put that effort into ending or seriously curbing the NEED for an abortion in the first place?  Why not advocate hard for affordable and accessible birth control and sex education?  Because they and all the conservative politicians actually need abortion to remain an issue.  How can they be self righteous and superior if there's no one to be superior to?  What is Godliness without context?  Politicians need an enemy  for voters to hate and fear.  What is the future of the GOP without the evangelical Christian facet of its base?  All they would have left to rail against would be LGBTQ issues,  and the LGBTQ community votes.  

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, ati_escapee said:

I would guess it did happen with some of the Duggars (see Joy’s thing about “struggling with taking my parents’ faith as my own”), but they decided that they had too much to lose - siblings they had a parent-child relationship with, fundie royalty status, all their friends and community, TLC $ and social media celebrity. Plus a subpar education and hardly any contacts to help them in the outside world. Embracing fundamentalism may have been less about what they believe to be true and logical, and more about what they WANT to make themselves believe because it’s the best coping mechanism for moderately-happy survival in that world.

That, and maybe you were actually taught some critical thinking skills that your parents never expected you to apply to religion. The Duggars seem to lack critical thinking in ALL areas.

• Upvote 22

12 hours ago, Smee said:

I would guess it did happen with some of the Duggars (see Joy’s thing about “struggling with taking my parents’ faith as my own”), but they decided that they had too much to lose - siblings they had a parent-child relationship with, fundie royalty status, all their friends and community, TLC $ and social media celebrity. Plus a subpar education and hardly any contacts to help them in the outside world. Embracing fundamentalism may have been less about what they believe to be true and logical, and more about what they WANT to make themselves believe because it’s the best coping mechanism for moderately-happy survival in that world.

That, and maybe you were actually taught some critical thinking skills that your parents never expected you to apply to religion. The Duggars seem to lack critical thinking in ALL areas.

You make a good point. My parents are both very educated people, unlike any of the Duggars. They believe some crazy stuff, but I agree that they taught us critical thinking skills. My sister (I only have one) isn't any more conservative/religious than I am.

15 hours ago, meee said:

I'm guessing you weren't beaten and blanket-trained into keeping sweet? (Apologies if I'm wrong--I'm just speculating on what would keep all of them so brainwashed.)

Nope. My parent didn't get into the Gothard garbage until we were past the blanket training stage. 

16 hours ago, mollysmom said:

My mom is the same way. She proudly tells everyone that when she goes to vote, she knows nothing about the person she's voting for...she just votes for everyone who is against abortion. That's all she cares about. Um...really mom? I wouldn't be bragging about that. Makes you sound extremely shallow & ignorant. Downright dumb. Ugh. 

That's how my mom is! It is the ONLY issue that she cares about. 

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Smee said:

I think most of the older children are questioning things to an extent about their upbringings. While I don't see any of them changing their beliefs dramatically, we will see some subtle changes in them. I do fear that Joy doubled down in her fundie beliefs instead of changing them and is going to be the most fundie of the married Duggar's.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Going back a bit to the headshaving thing: historically many Western societies used public headshaving as a punishment specifically for sexual impropriety, and I assume that is the idea of Josh's punishment (if it happened, I have no clue). It was almost exclusively used on women, and was to make sure everyone knew that woman had done something sexually that was considered inappropriate. It was often done in a public area with large groups watching, and people mostly knew what it meant if they saw a woman with her head shaved.

This was pretty prevalent in Europe and the New World, and I believe it goes back to the Bible in some way. It was even a semi-official policy in modern times - see the public shaving of women's heads in France after World War II if they were accused of sleeping with German soldiers. After the public shearing they would sometimes be driven around the towns in carts to show everyone. This happened a lot before World War II as well but that's the latest example I can think of off the top of my head.

But in any case, head shaving has always been very strongly linked to sexual misconduct and public shaming/humiliation. I would not be surprised at all if this is a practice in some pockets of fundieism - I'm only slightly surprised that it was purportedly used on a man (or boy, as it were).

• Upvote 10

21 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I think most of the older children are questioning things to an extent about their upbringings. While I don't see any of them changing their beliefs dramatically, we will see some subtle changes in them. I do fear that Joy doubled down in her fundie beliefs instead of changing them and is going to be the most fundie of the married Duggar's.

How old is Joy? She is still wet behind the ears. I’d give her some time to come to the realization that what their parents sold is a bunch of horseshit. Sure her husband and ILs all work, and there was decent adult role modeling in Austin’s family in terms of supporting a family, but Austin did not grow up sleeping on the couch, being sister mom’d or eating rice in the kitchen. The Duggars and their beliefs AND LIFESTYLE are particularly aberrant. I’d give Joy a bit more time to come to her own conclusions.

The easy money from the show combined with the lack of marketable skills makes staying in the cult a default. JB controls his adult kids and their thinking in this way.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

My guess is for women like Anna who make abortion their single-issue, a big explanation is abortion feels like a personal affront to how they’ve chosen to live their lives. 

They exalt motherhood to the extreme. It is the only acceptable identity for an adult woman to have. Thus, a woman who deliberately interrupts a pregnancy is somehow negating or invalidating the choices that fundie women like Anna and Michelle made. And that results in anger which fuels the single-issue. 

And let’s be real. Kids in cages is really about racism more than anything. Those children are the brown “other.”  

• Upvote 38
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Smuganna is alive and well and pro-life forced birth is so easy to advocate for since fetuses can't talk back or voice their own opinions.  

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • Upvote 16

On 6/30/2019 at 6:53 AM, FloraKitty35 said:

Smuganna is alive and well and pro-life forced birth is so easy to advocate for since fetuses can't talk back or voice their own opinions.  

I guess when your only skill is ovulating you do what you can to capitalize on that.  

I mean she could actually learn to parent or develop intellectually but why when you can ovulate?

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2019 at 7:15 AM, SassyPants said:

How old is Joy? She is still wet behind the ears. I’d give her some time to come to the realization that what their parents sold is a bunch of horseshit. Sure her husband and ILs all work, and there was decent adult role modeling in Austin’s family in terms of supporting a family, but Austin did not grow up sleeping on the couch, being sister mom’d or eating rice in the kitchen. The Duggars and their beliefs AND LIFESTYLE are particularly aberrant. I’d give Joy a bit more time to come to her own conclusions.

The easy money from the show combined with the lack of marketable skills makes staying in the cult a default. JB controls his adult kids and their thinking in this way.

We also have to remember that TLC was around for a good chunk of Joy's life.  Unlike the elder 4 girls, who clearly remember a lot of what their life was like before the TLC money came rolling in, Joy was only 7 when the first special was filmed.  She probably doesn't remember too much of life before that point, and what she does remember is probably cast in the rosy glow of childhood memories.  By the time Joy would have needed to lock herself in the bathroom to be able to eat her fill, the Duggars had gained the ability to adequately feed their children.  By the time Joy would have cared about clothes or wanted gadgets, the Duggars could afford them.  The younger Duggars simply have no idea what the real consequences of their parents' horseshit beliefs are because TLC bailed them out of a lot of the consequences of their poor decisions.  And Joy was taught that this happened NOT because they got incredibly lucky, but because God was pleased with them.  So the way she sees it, her parents did everything right and then God rewarded them with a TV show and money.  If SHE wants to be rewarded in the same way, she needs to follow the path her parents set out for her.

Sadly, Joy has very little reason to question her parents' beliefs at this moment, and it will likely take a major catastrophe to get her to call her worldview into question.

But that's not what I came here to post.  I came here to say that Anna's brother Nathan has announced a courtship with Nurie Rodrigues, Jill Rodrigues' golden daughter.  This means Anna will now have a connection to Jill that she cannot avoid, and because of this, the Duggars will once again have to deal with Jill as well.  For those of you not familiar with JRod: she's an absolute catastrophe. 

But a wonderful punishment to the Duggars and Anna for their myriad of horseshit beliefs and political agendas.  Rufus be praised!  

• Upvote 32
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

But that's not what I came here to post.  I came here to say that Anna's brother Nathan has announced a courtship with Nurie Rodrigues, Jill Rodrigues' golden daughter.  This means Anna will now have a connection to Jill that she cannot avoid, and because of this, the Duggars will once again have to deal with Jill as well.  For those of you not familiar with JRod: she's an absolute catastrophe. 

But a wonderful punishment to the Duggars and Anna for their myriad of horseshit beliefs and political agendas.  Rufus be praised!  

Interesting. Very very interesting.........

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Is that the topic that shut down the site last night?

Yes, JillRod broke FJ!  Only temporarily, of course. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

On 6/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, Smee said:

These are good points about possibly why the Duggars (and to some extent the Bateseseses) kids hang on to the fundie beliefs.   There's just too much to lose.   Especially right now, there's definite advantages in the form of reality TV money and celebrity.  

Though I agree that it will take time, perhaps some sobering life experiences to make any changes. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Fourth July celebrations from Jana's instagram, where is this and what are the boxes in the background?

Don't know where it is, but the boxes appear to be the large fireworks explosives that regular folks can purchase, the ones that go way up and explode into pretty balls of circles and such. Not as big as professional, but pretty big and expensive. One box can cost $50-100 (as I understand... I've neither bought one nor stopped at a fireworks shack.)

By used and saved the difference!

• Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Don't know where it is, but the boxes appear to be the large fireworks explosives that regular folks can purchase, the ones that go way up and explode into pretty balls of circles and such. Not as big as professional, but pretty big and expensive. One box can cost $50-100 (as I understand... I've neither bought one nor stopped at a fireworks shack.)

By used and saved the difference!

Could be grifted goods...Never let a tragedy go to waste. JB is not above grifting the family’s losses or hard times.

• Upvote 1

Oops- posted Jana's photo on the wrong thread- should have had my reading glasses on. Obviously saw the first letter J and went for it!

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Fourth July celebrations from Jana's instagram, where is this and what are the boxes in the background?

tumblr_a84672272d3f8c3c96315782931ee5e6_22305ac2_1280.jpg

Could that be Jill's new place? The nearby houses look fairly new, and the grass looks like it could be new this year.

If those are fireworks, they would have cost $500+ for that amount in the cheapest stores in the state I shop in, but prices vary from store to store and state to state, and if you know someone and combine with a group who spends enough (or spend enough individually) you can get wholesale prices (found someone for next year!).

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Could that be Jill's new place? The nearby houses look fairly new, and the grass looks like it could be new this year.

I was thinking the same but thought their area would still look more like a construction side. I always forget that in Arkansas everything grows a LOT quicker than at my northern latitudes...

Or maybe that's Joshley's new home? Do we know where they live now?

• Upvote 3

I don’t think this would be Jill’s new place simply bc she and I were at the same event in Little Rock yesterday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic