IGNORED

Josh, Anna, the M' kids Part 20: Girl Needs Some Serious Therapy

HerNameIsBuffy

I wonder if they think that the name Mary is too Catholic to be used as a first name.  

• I Agree 1

Just a reminder that we have a thread for name guesses. It makes it easier for @Carm_88 to keep track of them for the guess lists (I believe she compiles them.) :) 

As for the upcoming babies I predict:

Four innocent children - three of whom never asked to have their privacy sold to TLC - will be born into a cult that will shame them, brainwash them, and limit their future life choices to having more children than they can handle because Jesus. I pity all of them already.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:45 AM, Irishy said:

Thank you. He is doing well as far as I can tell. I’ve known he was gay since before even he did. Even though it was never obvious. Just subtleties that only I noticed. So when he was about 11/12 he started asking me about how Putin treats gays in Russia, and I was like - ahhh so you’re realising that maybe you like boys huh? And he was like YES! So I’ve been on the journey with him from the start along with his stepdad. He’s not out out, but has told close friends, and if asked out straight, he won’t deny it. We brought his dad (slight dinosaur) into the fold about a year ago and that has been helpful. He now has a safe space in my home and his dad’s to just be himself. His step mum is really great too. 

He’s only received homophobic abuse once - his ex friend yelled [redacted] at him on the street, but he came straight home and told me. 

I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for your brother coming to terms with his identity. You must be incredibly proud of him.

It’s pride month here in Dublin so we are loving the celebration of all things LGBTQ+ and the rainbows everywhere we look. Even the police cars have been wrapped in rainbows. It’s so good for LGBTQ+ kids to see all of that. I try to see everything through my son’s eyes. 

This is, or I should better say you are, amazing, @Irishy!!! While I absolutely recognize that it takes lots of empathy, courage and conviction to act the right way when it comes to the ?️‍?-community in general and gay loved ones in particular, the way you love and support your son is just beautiful.

Also, it’s something every parent should be able to do. By that, I mean I don’t cut fundies any slack when it comes to their hatred towards people who are not straight. Respecting and accepting people regardless of their sexual orientation can and must be expected of anyone. It doesn’t take superhuman abilities  and out-of-this-world knowledge and insights to not try and oppress someone cause he or she is attracted to a particular or to different genders. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Mary would be such a pretty, and typical, nickname for Meredith. I don't think she will appreciate being called "Dithy" as she gets older. I keep hearing "ditzy." 

My friend Meredith goes by Meri or Mer. Never heard anyone use Dithy. Wouldn't be my first choice. Anna's due last so it's possible someone else will use it before her. 

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

My friend Meredith goes by Meri or Mer. Never heard anyone use Dithy. Wouldn't be my first choice. Anna's due last so it's possible someone else will use it before her. 

It was always likely we'd end up with similarly named Duggar cousins.  I can see multiple forms of Mary (Miriam, Mariah, Marie) or a Mary and a Marianna both in this wave of babies.  I can also see Amy getting a bit out of sorts about it, because I would be shocked if she didn't intend to use the name Mary in her family.  

But I don't really think it's a huge deal for cousins to have similar or shared names, especially in a family that has a Joy Anna and a Johanna that are siblings.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Can you imagine her at 15 and her friends saying "I'm going to a party for Dithy Duggar"? 

Dithy Duggar...just, no.

I agree that there are many variations of Mary that could be used. Maybe they will let Amy have Mary for a future daughter.

• Upvote 9

I think dithy was what a sibling called her and it stuck for awhile but I doubt it's a long term nick name. 

• Upvote 4

Is Anna's little behind-the-scenes story symptomatic of how they treated Amy and Grandma Mary? Mary had an idea, she and Amy wanted to bake a cake but the whole thing was made into a tv production and in the end they got a cake from someone else. How shitty is that? Poor Amy. Probably this sort of thing will have happened regularly. 

A little behind the scenes story: When I was expecting Kynzie, Grandma Duggar excitedly told me of a “new trend” that featured baking a gender reveal cake. Grandma asked if she and Amy could bake one for us?!?! Josh and I loved the idea and that was our plan...until our producers heard about the idea and it grew quite a bit! Buddy the Cake Boss ended up baking the first gender reveal cake for us!

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 8

Jessa read “The Rise and Fall of the Gender Reveal Cake” in the New York Times and passed it on to Anna! I know, it’s probably going around the young fundie moms on social media, but I’d like to believe that Jessa is reading the NYT during naptime.

Oh, I so hope that they both read the whole thing! It goes on to say that gender is perceived as less bianary and permanent now. (Though the cakes are mostly a fad that faded.) They’ll probably see it as liberal media and double down on the gender reveals, but at least they’ve heard other opinions.

Here’s the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/dining/gender-reveal-cake.html?te=1&nl=cooking&emc=edit_ck_20190619?campaign_id=58&instance_id=10308&segment_id=14447&user_id=df0ac689ce9dfd88f81d92b69113f68a&regi_id=6950999020190619

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Actually read the article
  • Upvote 5

Anna was asked in the comments if the next one will be named Mary. She stated in the comments that Meredith’s nicknames are currently “Merry” and “Dithy.” She says Dithy is used more often because it seems easier for some of the little kids to say. So I’d bet this next one won’t be named Mary, though they could always still opt to use Leona as the middle name in her honor. 

33 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jessa read “The Rise and Fall of the Gender Reveal Cake” in the New York Times and passed it on to Anna! I know, it’s probably going around the young fundie moms on social media, but I’d like to believe that Jessa is reading the NYT during naptime.

Oh, I so hope that they both read the whole thing! It goes on to say that gender is perceived as less bianary and permanent now. (Though the cakes are mostly a fad that faded.) They’ll probably see it as liberal media and double down on the gender reveals, but at least they’ve heard other opinions.

Here’s the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/dining/gender-reveal-cake.html?te=1&nl=cooking&emc=edit_ck_20190619?campaign_id=58&instance_id=10308&segment_id=14447&user_id=df0ac689ce9dfd88f81d92b69113f68a&regi_id=6950999020190619

I wouldn’t hope too much. Someone could have easily sent that to Jessa or they might even have been alerted by a Google alert (if they have one setup) that pinged their last name. Besides, Jeremy was shown reading the Times at some point on Instagram and appears to have a genuine interest in reading in general and it hasn’t done much for his beliefs. 

(Though I do think there’s room for a tiny bit of hope. I don’t think it’s likely though. I’d guess Jessa is more likely napping herself during nap time if the kids are napping at the same time.)

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, MadameOvary said:

Is Anna's little behind-the-scenes story symptomatic of how they treated Amy and Grandma Mary? Mary had an idea, she and Amy wanted to bake a cake but the whole thing was made into a tv production and in the end they got a cake from someone else. How shitty is that? Poor Amy. Probably this sort of thing will have happened regularly. 

That’s a good point, @MadameOvary!

I love to bake for birthdays and any kinds of family celebrations. Yes, depending on how much time I have and how many people are invited, we also buy cakes at times, but it’s exciting (for me anyways) to see a lovely recipe somewhere (cookbook addict here ?) and decide to try it out. I have so much fun in the process. The end product isn’t the only thing that matters but also the time and thought that goes into preparing, baking and decorating a cake.

Last year, for instance, I made a chess board (is that how you call it in English?) cake for my granddad’s birthday and he appreciated the time it took to make aside from the taste (and it was yummy ?)

The photo doesn’t do it justice, it was taken after some people had already eaten and the cake started looking crumbly. Also, I learned that I should have spread some of the chocolate buttercream in between the layers in order to seal them together. 

97EC6DE3-2F77-482A-919A-A8CCDDC6A506.jpeg

16BECD31-93D9-4C22-8F9E-2716B9D3F455.jpeg

So... to return to the topic at hand, I share your opinion, MO, and also feel sorry for Amy and Grandma Mary and anyone in the Duggar clan who had ideas denied or taken over due to story lines and filming requirements.

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 19
  • Love 15

@FluffySnowball That looks yummy! I can feel a baking urge coming on... We're having a public holiday where I am and I was thinking crepes. But I'm beginning to see some chocolatey goodness in my immediate future. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

I wonder if they think that the name Mary is too Catholic to be used as a first name.  

Mary is the mother of Jesus no matter what faith tradition you subscribe to. Catholics venerate Mary more than other faith tradition and believe some different things about her (that she was and remained a virgin and was born without original sin) but all believe her to be the mother of Christ. Therefore, Mary isn't just a Catholic thing. She is respected in other faiths, including the (probably worse than Catholic in fundyland) Islamic faith: https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2015/12/18/what-islam-really-teaches-about-virgin-mary

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

I love to bake for birthdays and any kinds of family celebrations. Yes, depending on how much time I have and how many people are invited, we also buy cakes at times, but it’s exciting (for me anyways) to see a lovely recipe somewhere (cookbook addict here ?) and decide to try it out. I have so much fun in the process. The end product isn’t the only thing that matters but also the time and thought that goes into preparing, baking and decorating a cake.

Last year, for instance, I made a chess board (is that how you call it in English?) cake for my granddad’s birthday and he appreciated the time it took to make aside from the taste (and it was yummy ?)

The photo doesn’t do it justice, it was taken after some people had already eaten and the cake started looking crumbly. Also, I learned that I should have spread some of the chocolate buttercream in between the layers in order to seal them together. 

So... to return to the topic at hand, I share your opinion, MO, and also feel sorry for Amy and Grandma Mary and anyone in the Duggar clan who had ideas denied or taken over due to story lines and filming requirements.

That looks delicious and beautiful!

I would think most of the immediate and extended family members have had ideas denied, projects taken away, and storylines crafted out of thin air for them at some point. I don’t think it’s something that really just happened to family members like Mary and Amy. What would bother me most is family members being told they can’t participate in certain family gatherings or events at all due to filming. That'd be a really shitty thing to do. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I dont think one of JB&M's kids using Mary would stop Amy. The babies would be second cousins, plus there are so many of them. I may have a second cousin who shares my name, I'm assuming at least one of my siblings does. I haven't met all of them, my parents have a lot of cousins and I've only met the ones they're closest to.

IMO, second cousins (even cousins who rarely see each other, if there's a lot of them) sharing a name is not a big deal, and a middle name doesn't matter at all. I know one of my cousins shares a middle name with my sister (a great-grandmother for my generation) and I dont remember my other cousins' middle names, nor do I know their baby's middle names.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

@BachelorToTheRapture, my youngest brother has the same 1st name as one our cousins. My brother grew up in Arizona and my cousin grew up in Michigan. We were lucky to see each other every 3 years at best. The cousins twin brother had the same 1st name as another older cousin of ours. Again the state differences of Michigan and Minnesota came into play when seeing each other growing up. I could see more than one Duggar grandchild being named Mary. It's both a very common name, honors a beloved Grandma, and a "godly" name to boot. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I dont think one of JB&M's kids using Mary would stop Amy. The babies would be second cousins, plus there are so many of them. I may have a second cousin who shares my name, I'm assuming at least one of my siblings does. I haven't met all of them, my parents have a lot of cousins and I've only met the ones they're closest to.

We don't have a large family but I share a name with my father's first cousin (first and last name). We're both named in honor of my grandfather. I didn't know of her existence til 10 years ago. She lives in Germany and I in the US.

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, MadameOvary said:

@FluffySnowball That looks yummy! I can feel a baking urge coming on... We're having a public holiday where I am and I was thinking crepes. But I'm beginning to see some chocolatey goodness in my immediate future. 

Thank you!

Have fun baking! Crepes also sound yummy, now you’re making me hungry and crave some pancake-y goodness. We had a public holiday here in Germany yesterday but with temperatures over 30 C, I could only drag my sweets loving butt to the freezer for some (store-bought) ice cream. But hey, I’m not complaining ?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

IMO, second cousins (even cousins who rarely see each other, if there's a lot of them) sharing a name is not a big deal, and a middle name doesn't matter at all. I know one of my cousins shares a middle name with my sister (a great-grandmother for my generation) and I dont remember my other cousins' middle names, nor do I know their baby's middle names.

This reminds me of when my Grams got mad when one of my cousins named her new dog the same name iI’d recently named my daughtet.  My reaction now, as then, why would I care?  

My cousin wasn’t part of my life, I never saw her, and as far as I was concerned an excellent name for her pup was the best part of her lol.

my little girl is all grown up now, but remains unscathed from having her name stolen. 

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

That looks amazing and I’m now in need of cake!

(recipe should be posted on feed jinger **cough cough**

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

If I remember correctly, your daughter has an amazing name! ;) My favorite!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Given how many Grandduggars there soon will be, the kids sharing names with cousins will probably be similar to sharing a name with a classmate: both inevitable and not a huge deal.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That looks amazing and I’m now in need of cake!

(recipe should be posted on feed jinger **cough cough**

Thank you so much, @HerNameIsBuffy! I wish I remembered where I got the recipe from. If I recall correctly, I took a recipe for Victoria sponge and one for chocolate cake and then cut and assembled both cakes. 

In order to ease your need for cake, let me at least send you an e-slice ?? 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I have 2 first cousins with the same name (actually 3, but the 3rd is on my paternal side, so not related to the other 2). They are 2 years apart in age and have been best friends their whole lives. In our little family group of aunts, uncles and cousins that see each other pretty frequently, we have 3 sets of double names. The 2 cousins are the only ones that are actually related, everyone else has come to us by marriage. 

We haven't found it to be a big deal, so I can't imagine it being a huge issue if the Duggar siblings repeat names with their kids, even if they do see each other frequently. 

• Upvote 6

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic