IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

Eww.  Just eww.  I guess it would be ok if they washed each other's feet to symbolize serving each other,  but I doubt he reciprocated.   Jesus washed the feet of the apostles to show  that we should serve our fellow man, not as some act of submission.   Leave it to the fundies to take the thing they're supposed to be all about--the bible and the teachings of Jesus--and twist it around to fit their own self-serving ideals.  

• Upvote 15

IDK, I'd be surprised if it weren't reciprocal. Is this the sister that is in the military? 

I would love to know how much longer Ben has on his degree. He's doing Moody online, right? I wonder if they'd be willing to move for a job. I imagine Ben would appreciate moving somewhere with lower allergens!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, WarriorJane said:

Eww.  Just eww.  I guess it would be ok if they washed each other's feet to symbolize serving each other,  but I doubt he reciprocated.   Jesus washed the feet of the apostles to show  that we should serve our fellow man, not as some act of submission.   Leave it to the fundies to take the thing they're supposed to be all about--the bible and the teachings of Jesus--and twist it around to fit their own self-serving ideals.  

I've never seen foot washing in a wedding, but all the foot washing days I've been to in a church had three separate areas- a room for single men to wash each other's feet, a room for single women, and a room for couples. The men were definitely expected to wash their wives' feet. I would be surprised if he didn't wash her feet as well.

54 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

And yeah, that is quite a professional camera crew--complete with a boom mike. Were Ben and Jessa in the wedding party?

No clue about Ben, but Jessa was a bridesmaid.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

IDK, I'd be surprised if it weren't reciprocal. Is this the sister that is in the military? 

I would love to know how much longer Ben has on his degree. He's doing Moody online, right? I wonder if they'd be willing to move for a job. I imagine Ben would appreciate moving somewhere with lower allergens!

I think she might be a police officer?  Between that and the non ultra-modest dress (I see  shoulders!) I figured she was fundy light and was disheartened to see the foot washing.  I just keep picturing the Katie s'morton wedding where she washed Alan's feet while a tape of her vowing to submit played in the background.   I'm hoping this isn't a growing trend on fundy land.

• Upvote 8

I really can't get over that dress! NiKE!!!1!!11!

It's not bad, just a surprising mix of culture at her wedding -- fundie and "worldly."

I wonder what her everyday style and modesty standards look like?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

but all the foot washing days I've been to in a church had three separate areas- a room for single men to wash each other's feet, a room for single women, and a room for couples

What the actual fuck?!  I remember the Pope washing people's feet, a la Jesus, but I had no idea that this was a thing that people did on a regular basis.  There are foot washing days?  I would really be interested if anyone can enlighten me on why someone would do this at a wedding.  Have any other fundies in our circle done this?

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I've never seen foot washing in a wedding, but all the foot washing days I've been to in a church had three separate areas- a room for single men to wash each other's feet, a room for single women, and a room for couples. The men were definitely expected to wash their wives' feet. I would be surprised if he didn't wash her feet as well.

No clue about Ben, but Jessa was a bridesmaid.

That's interesting.  The only foot washing I've ever seen is at Holy Thursday mass in the Catholic church, where the priests wash the feet of 12 people, recalling Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

On 5/16/2019 at 7:40 AM, VelociRapture said:

Plus, Kindergarten is so much more intense these days then

Way too intense in my opinion.  This is in the US. I would let me child be a child. Plenty of time to learn to write paragraphs...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

What the actual fuck?!  I remember the Pope washing people's feet, a la Jesus, but I had no idea that this was a thing that people did on a regular basis.  There are foot washing days?  I would really be interested if anyone can enlighten me on why someone would do this at a wedding.  Have any other fundies in our circle done this?

There are denominations where this is a thing; I haven't been to a foot washing service, but I've been to churches where these services exist--Anabaptist groups (amish, mennonite [including the 'progressive' ones that don't wear odd clothes; some of them are fairly LGBTQ+ positive, they don't have a lot of overarching governence, so YMMV], etc--this is a bigger umbrella than people often realize, because initially, all churches that didn't do infant baptism were anabaptist) do it frequently.

(I know one version of "Church of Christ" [there are 2 denominations w/similar names, they are not the same.  Man this stuff is hard to keep track of.  I could google it, but it makes my brain hurt sometimes] is anabaptist [split from mennonite, I believe), but I don't know they foot wash--that might be the most mainstream one that does.  THe mennonites have split a bunch of times, one form of "Brethren' church is also rooted there)

As a mennonite man I knew well explained it to me, there are a few places in the new testament where Jesus says 'do this'.  One is the last supper--which most churches  do as a part of communion.  One is baptism, which churches do all sorts of ways.  And one is to wash each other's feet--which only a few denominations do regularly (although at "jesus camp" places, I've seen it.  So, a special occasion thing?  I KNOW some of our fundies have also brought it up as a wedding thing).  HIs church did it monthly, like communion, at a separate service (so it was easier to opt out of.  And he said everyone made sure their feet were really clean before foot washing, it was ceremonial, the same way communion isn't 'supper')
I'm not sure I agree w/ it, but that's how it was explained to me.

• Thank You 9

Jessica does not dress fundy and didn't do courtship. However, that doesn't change the fact that she has some of the most hateful beliefs. And ewww on the foot washing. Not my thing.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Jessica does not dress fundy and didn't do courtship. However, that doesn't change the fact that she has some of the most hateful beliefs. And ewww on the foot washing. Not my thing.

This. She is likely not going to be a quiverful fundie homeschooling SAHM of a dozen kids. But she’s got plenty of closed minded and hateful beliefs. Let’s just hope they have very few children to pass their beliefs onto. 

• Upvote 17

Oooof, flashbacks to then S’Morton weddings with the servile wife washing her man’s feet. ?

• Upvote 4

I'm a little embarrassed to share this but...

One time back in high school, I went to a Christian youth group camp that took place on a small island. Of course their was a baptism night, blah, blah, blah... But on the last day I was hanging out with two of my camp friends on the beach waiting for the boat. One was a Christian and the other was a newer Christian. The new Christian shared how she wished she would have gotten baptized when they had the baptism. She shared that she had a lot of regrets about her life before becoming a Christian. My Christian friend and I assured her that God loves her just the same whether or not she's been baptized. We suggested to wash the sand off her feet in a bucket of ocean water as a sort of mini-baptism. I explained to her the symbolism that washing the feet is like washing away any guilt or regrets of her life and a symbol of leaving those thoughts in the past and going forward in her "walk"/faith with Christ. I think this made her feel really special and it really wasn't weird in that context. She felt included and loved, and I think she started crying? because teen emotions. We were alone on a secluded beach and it was really a beautiful, symbolic ritual of practicing what Jesus did for his disciples. 

That being said, I do not think that washing feet in front of an audience of family is beautiful, and in the context of marriage, it almost seems fetish-y (although I know that they did not intend for it to be that way). Even when Jesus did it, it was not a public performance!

• Upvote 13
  • Love 5

Be a cold day in hell before I did the foot washing thing, however, if you’re sick I will gladly help you wash your whole body, and make you food.  

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

I've seen the footwashing thing at a wedding, interestingly enough. They did it and said the verse "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." It was uncomfortable, but it was a very WTF wedding in general and in an un-air conditioned church in the middle of July in rural Kentucky, so the foot washing was the least of my worries at that point and I was more concerned with melting to death like the Wicked Witch of the West. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

15 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I've seen the footwashing thing at a wedding, interestingly enough. They did it and said the verse "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." It was uncomfortable, but it was a very WTF wedding in general and in an un-air conditioned church in the middle of July in rural Kentucky, so the foot washing was the least of my worries at that point and I was more concerned with melting to death like the Wicked Witch of the West. 

That sounds like a circle of hell that Dante neglected to write about.

• Haha 12
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have been to some fundie light weddings and I have never seen foot washing. 

Foot washing is only practiced in certain denominations. For example, only some Pentecostal denominations believe in foot washing. Church of God of Cleveland, Tennessee does and Assemblies of God does not. 

I would be surprised if the groom did not wash her feet too.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

37 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

That sounds like a circle of hell that Dante neglected to write about.

AND the reception was in someone's garage with the garage door open. The only saving grace was that we were invited because my now ex-husband worked with the groom, so I wasn't responsible for knowing any of these people. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

4 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

Eww.  Just eww.  I guess it would be ok if they washed each other's feet to symbolize serving each other,  but I doubt he reciprocated.   Jesus washed the feet of the apostles to show  that we should serve our fellow man, not as some act of submission.  

The majority of foot washing weddings I've heard of, each partner washed the other's feet. It was about service towards one another, not a submission thing. 

It's definitely not my cup of tea, but I think it being a symbol of female submission is the minority of cases. 

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I bet those feet were RIPE. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Greendoor said:

What ever school you choose, remember Thomas Edison was only in school for a few months.  Your child will learn as he/she was born to learn.  Some kids are academics from day one, others as artists, or athletes.  All will be well.

Eh, he was home schooled by his mother, a former teacher, the rest of the time from a pretty decent sized library, not just left feral to roam about.

• Upvote 3

On 5/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Greendoor said:

What ever school you choose, remember Thomas Edison was only in school for a few months.  Your child will learn as he/she was born to learn.  Some kids are academics from day one, others as artists, or athletes.  All will be well.

Have you been over to the Naugler threads?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, theotherelise said:

And less Duggars. 

• Upvote 1

I do think Ben does place some value on education. He has an associates from a community college. I think he is sincere and earnest in pursuing his studies. I hope he finishes them and pursues his own calling rather than one handpicked for him by Jim Bob. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• Georgiana locked this topic