IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, theotherelise said:

IDK, I'd be surprised if it weren't reciprocal. Is this the sister that is in the military? 

I would love to know how much longer Ben has on his degree. He's doing Moody online, right? I wonder if they'd be willing to move for a job. I imagine Ben would appreciate moving somewhere with lower allergens!

Jessica and Phillips are both Police Officers. I wish I could give her credit for pursuing a legitimate career, especially a male dominated one... but she has some pretty ugly beliefs. It honestly worries me a bit to think about her patrolling while armed. That may be completely unfair of me to say, but I don’t have a good impression of her from what I’ve seen out of her. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 17
  • Love 2

In regards to school expectations in the US,  the workload diverges really quickly. In my incredible white upper middle-class advanced classes in a suburban school district privilege, I was stressed, anxious, and utterly fried by the gauntlet of getting into a "good" college. I was a 16 year old who woke up and the only thing I was looking forward to was getting to sleep at the end of the day. I routinely had more hours of homework than nightly sleep. Self worth was determined by class rank and weighted GPA calculated out to four decimal places. While I feel that i had a very limited adolescence and clearly still have a complex about that, I've also been blessed with great academic, career, and life opportunities since then. I was incredibly prepared for college, which was also rigorous, and now in many ways I'm having an easier time in my PhD science program than I did in high school or college.

On the other hand, I taught at a SAT prep camp for inner-city kids, and these wonderful kids were stressed, anxious, and utterly fried by getting into a good college, but also by lack of basic resources, or peer pressure to not care, or family members who were incarcerated, or teachers who had given up, or... I taught the lowest-performance reading group, and some of the rising seniors were barely literate, at least in the way the SAT requires. When the SAT asks you, "which one of the following excerpts best refutes the author's assertion," and you don't know the words excerpts, refutes, or assertion (very common real example), how do you have any chance in hell of doing well on the SAT and helping you get into college? (and yes that's what our camp was focused on but for those people who weren't aiming for college, they would still have had massive deficits in their reading comp)

I'm not saying anything new to any of you, but the American educational system is garbage. My peers and I received an amazing education but many of us felt over-worked and completely strung out as teenagers, and now have long-lasting anxiety/perfectionism issues, while many more of our fellow American teens dealt with more acute stressors and were left with gaping holes in their education that had permanent negative impacts on their lives. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope some brilliant minds come up with something, because the educational disparity in this country is real and wide, and neither overlooked nor overworked K-12-ers are something to be proud of in this "greatest country."

(I realize poor school districts and low educational standards are way worse though, and apologize for the rant. Oh, and you suck Betsy Devos.)

• Upvote 28
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Jessica and Phillips are both Police Officers. I wish I could give her credit for pursuing a legitimate career, especially a male dominated one... but she has some pretty ugly beliefs. It honestly worries me a bit to think about her patrolling while armed. That may be completely unfair of me to say, but I don’t have a good impression of her from what I’ve seen out of her. 

Absolutely. A deluded, fundamentalist bigot given a position of power over the people in her community is yiiiikes 

• Upvote 11

We did foot washing at youth group once when I was a teen, but I’ve never seen it at a wedding or in a regular church service. Then again, “Baptist” in Australia can be quite culturally different from in America. 

I can’t imagine Jim Bob letting his sons go to a wedding where the bride was that defrauding.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Smee said:

I can’t imagine Jim Bob letting his sons go to a wedding where the bride was that defrauding.

They went to cousin Amy's wedding. She wore a strapless gown. Maybe they were all looking down at their shoes.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

I really can't get over that dress! NiKE!!!1!!11!

It's not bad, just a surprising mix of culture at her wedding -- fundie and "worldly."

I wonder what her everyday style and modesty standards look like?

Looking at her Instagram, she wears bikinis and tank tops and drinks alcohol (there's pictures with martini glasses and beer), they've kissed before marriage, so pretty relaxed standards.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

They went to cousin Amy's wedding. She wore a strapless gown. Maybe they were all looking down at their shoes.

And Amy was fairly busting out of her top. I still don't think the dress was fitted properly.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

I had no idea anyone washed feet at a wedding! Unless you’re getting married during the Maundy Thursday service, skip that shit.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Is this a boyfriend? I don’t recognize him. 

18F8E9F6-FEA3-4B6D-8297-D5A76F31F0DD.jpeg

They must be part of the fundy-lite set.  No forced smiles or fundy gaze.  

8 minutes ago, WarriorJane said:

They must be part of the fundy-lite set.  No forced smiles or fundy gaze.  

Ben’s sisters pose like this all the time. They hardly ever have big smiles. Michelle is only 17 so maybe this is just a boyfriend. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

My fundie cousin and his wife washed each other’s feet during their wedding ceremony. When he sat down, manspread, and she got down on her knees to move close enough to him to wash his feet, all I could think about was the performance of sexual favors. Because that is exactly what it looked like! I was laughing so hard I had to keep coughing in an attempt to mask it. My aunt who was sitting next to me and I couldn’t look at each other because we both knew we would lose it if we did. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 32

15 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

That's interesting.  The only foot washing I've ever seen is at Holy Thursday mass in the Catholic church, where the priests wash the feet of 12 people, recalling Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. 

Mr. Outta and I were asked if one of us would like to have our feet washed in the Holy Thursday Mass this year as representatives our our Wednesday Night Group. He politely declined. I said "Not in a million years". Several others also declined so our group, as far as I know, went unrepresented this year. We spend enough time at church during Holy week, Thursday and foot washing is optional in my opinion.

In my SBC upbringing, I did not know this was a thing that people still did and never heard of it being done in either of the churches I attended as a child/teenager.

I saw on a Tumblr a photo does exist (on the FB of a family member of his?) of the her feet being washed by him, so at least there is that.

• Upvote 4

Found on Tumblr that the wedding will be featured on "Say yes to the dress"

Screenshot_20190521-112231_Tumblr.jpg

Edited by Italiangirl
Mispelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 14

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Found on Tumblr that the wedding will be featured on "Say yes to the dress"

Screenshot_20190521-112231_Tumblr.jpg

Of course.... these people can’t stay off of TLC. 

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

The Seewalds are blatant hangers-on, fortunately Joshgate helped keep them in relative obscurity, but not for a lack of trying.  Michael was one of the first to defend Josh’s ‘mistakes’.

Ben has definitely surprised me with the way that he’s matured in the last couple of years, but Michael’s willingness to sacrifice Ben’s young adulthood on the altar of Boob still pisses me off.  Because marrying your sheltered 17yo off is always a great idea.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, nst said:

is it just me or jessa constantly trying to shill something? 

And how are skin tight dresses modest?  Or does modesty go out the window during pregnancy?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, obiwanfreak said:

And how are skin tight dresses modest?  Or does modesty go out the window during pregnancy?

If history tells us anything, the clothing does become less modest during and as pregnancy progresses. Maybe it’s to draw attention to the new , growing soldier for Fundie Jesus, and away from the countenance? It’s different, for sure.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

I don't get it. Jessica Seewald and company went all the way to New York to get a dress? I just think it's interesting they don't end up on Say to the Dress: Atlanta since Atlanta is closer. I am assuming Jessa went with Jessica since she is the one with reality show or it doesn't even matter anymore since TLC doesn't care about quality of story lines for a hot minute now. 

I did a ceremonial-type of foot washing once. It didn't have anything to do with religion, it was back in my doula days. I had a client who in lieu of a shower, her friend who was also a midwife (didn't deliver because she didn't have privileges at the hospital my client had her baby in) had a mama-focused shower. We did a hemp drawing on her belly (kookie but so cool), gave her positive words that we had written down and read aloud, made her favorite foods, and gave her gifts of food and pampering products for the post-partum period. The midwife asked me ahead of time if I would do a foot washing, or she could, and I said sure! I was giving foot massages all time in labor anyway. I put lavender in the water,  someone got some spa-ish music going, and someone read some poetry about motherhood if I remember it right. She had a nice soak, and then I gave her a foot massage. I feel kind of embarrased to say it but I've done that informally for my bff's at our beach getaways and for my three girls when we would do pamper and movie nights.  With my friends and kids we always followed with pedis. Does this mean I have a "servant's heart" or am a submissive? ?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I did a ceremonial-type of foot washing once. It didn't have anything to do with religion, it was back in my doula days. I had a client who in lieu of a shower, her friend who was also a midwife (didn't deliver because she didn't have privileges at the hospital my client had her baby in) had a mama-focused shower. We did a hemp drawing on her belly (kookie but so cool), gave her positive words that we had written down and read aloud, made her favorite foods, and gave her gifts of food and pampering products for the post-partum period. The midwife asked me ahead of time if I would do a foot washing, or she could, and I said sure! I was giving foot massages all time in labor anyway. I put lavender in the water,  someone got some spa-ish music going, and someone read some poetry about motherhood if I remember it right. She had a nice soak, and then I gave her a foot massage. I feel kind of embarrased to say it but I've done that informally for my bff's at our beach getaways and for my three girls when we would do pamper and movie nights.  With my friends and kids we always followed with pedis. Does this mean I have a "servant's heart" or am a submissive? ?

I think it just means that we should become friends. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, dpndetfarm said:

So can I ask you all to take a look at what this choosing to keep your child out of school for another year can actually do and probably has done to the US school system.

1. How do you know, as a parent who has not seen how the class your child should be going into, that your child is or is not mature/ready/fill in the blank to be in kindergarten. 

2. I have heard it doesn't hurt to hold them out. Perhaps yes, perhaps no, but it does directly impact the other students in the class. Especially when children are held out because they will be a little bigger, better at sports, emotionally more mature and so on.

3. There are many children, although fewer and fewer, who go to school based on the cut off because it is the cut off for a reason. The reason is that, after study and research, the school system has determined that the vast majority of children are ready for kindergarten if they are 5 by that date.

Our cut off date was September 30th when my kids were in school.  Now it is September 1st. When you decide your child should wait a year and their birthday is in May or June your child is well over a year older than the youngest children. Grade school is when lots of growing happens and size differences are already significant. You hold your kid out of course they will excell at sports. Your child could be a foot taller than another child and weigh 15 or 20 pounds more than the younger child. Your choosing to keep your child out puts the younger, yet properly aged child at a huge disadvantage. You have changed the "bottom of the pile". (Generic yous all around) A child who could have been seen as an outstanding athlete lost his/her spot because here school sports are played by grade. Your child eclipses another child acedemically, not because they are more intelligent, but because they are more than a year older .  Educationally you have  put a child who will probably be more advanced learningwise than the child with a later birthday who goes to school when the schools says he/she should. 

We used to learn letters and match items, and otherwise be more Montessori like in kindergarten.  Or more kindergarten like in kindergarten.   Now, with the kids in kindergarten getting older and older it has turned into what 1st grade used to be.

Keeping kids out without a professional reason certainly helps your child perhaps, but over time it is pushing our younger grades to be more and more academic in nature. It is putting the kids who start on time at a disadvantage, and it will keep spiraling.  If all children who didn't have a diagnosed reason to wait a year went to school when they should they would actually have a longer time to be kids and the academics could phase in at a more gradual pace.

Just my 5000 cents worth. Sorry for the book. Hope it makes a little sense.  Yes I do have experience. Yes I have my masters in early and primary education. No I am not telling anyone what to do.  Homework is evil.

My son has a late June birthday and him starting school on time was never even a question to me. Then last summer I had multiple people asking me if I was starting him in Kindergarten and I was like why wouldn't I be he's 5? I got so many lectures about how it's better for boys with summer birthdays to be held a year, he's going to struggle, he's at higher risk to repeat. We of course sent him and he's done so well plus the school recognized he had a mild SPD and we were able to get him in with a OT/BT so it doesn't effect his schooling down the line. I get why people hold kids back close to the cut off, my niece missed it here (December 1) by 7 days and it hasn't had a negative impact on her schooling but it seems people are pushing back into the summer and spring more and more (holding back April, May and June birthdays). I didn't like the idea on my son being a whole year older than his classmates, especially as they get older. I remember in my senior class there were kids aged 16-18 and then you have to worry about a whole other slew of issues when you have 18 year olds associating with 16 year olds even if they grew up together. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

My son has a late June birthday and him starting school on time was never even a question to me. Then last summer I had multiple people asking me if I was starting him in Kindergarten and I was like why wouldn't I be he's 5? I got so many lectures about how it's better for boys with summer birthdays to be held a year, he's going to struggle, he's at higher risk to repeat. We of course sent him and he's done so well plus the school recognized he had a mild SPD and we were able to get him in with a OT/BT so it doesn't effect his schooling down the line. I get why people hold kids back close to the cut off, my niece missed it here (December 1) by 7 days and it hasn't had a negative impact on her schooling but it seems people are pushing back into the summer and spring more and more (holding back April, May and June birthdays). I didn't like the idea on my son being a whole year older than his classmates, especially as they get older. I remember in my senior class there were kids aged 16-18 and then you have to worry about a whole other slew of issues when you have 18 year olds associating with 16 year olds even if they grew up together. 

I love this. Unfortunately there is a huge bias against boys in the US when it comes to kindergarten readiness. It bothers me because there are so many people who buy into the idea that boys always mature later than girls and should automatically be red shirted if they have a summer birthday. I think each child should be taken on a case by case basis. If a parent believes their son is ready, then do it! Don’t listen to all the people pushing their ideas about boys and maturity on you while not looking at your child as an individual. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

A photoshoot is in the works 

10FE2D87-DD2B-48E6-992C-1947EB9D219F.jpeg

What's interesting about Jessa's comment is that it's not teasing more reveals. At least not another one due this year.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• Georgiana locked this topic