IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

Is it only me that thinks it is a tad odd to teach a two year old to read sight words? I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. Jill posted on her blog about various homeschooling bits and bobs for israel who is three as well and I am wondering if their education has had an effect on all this very early academic learning? 

Don't really have a point, just idley wondering.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

11 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Are we the same person!?! Or have the same grandpa at least? I literally just did this. Except Charles, but we exclusively call him Charlie (because I love love love that name and he is the third one in the family so we needed a nickname), which is probably more info than smart to put out, but my grandfather is really just the best guy ever and I was so excited to be able to do this and he is so proud. ❤️

Definitely sounds like we had the same grandpa! Definitely best guy ever! (maybe it's the name?! haha) 

You've got good taste!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, karen77 said:

no, no... Airbus!

But what about..........................CATBUS?
#TotaroIsAHolyName

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

Wolf girl was reading sight words at 2. We used an English series, Peter and Jane. Big letters, only a few words on a page, and the books built on each other Grand Wolf 1 used them, and grand wolf 2 is using them now.

• Upvote 6

My earliest reader turned out to be my kid who does not enjoy reading. My latest read never read earlier readers, but went straight to chapter books, is a voracious reader as an adult, and works as a technical writer for a living.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, medimus said:

Is it only me that thinks it is a tad odd to teach a two year old to read sight words? I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. Jill posted on her blog about various homeschooling bits and bobs for israel who is three as well and I am wondering if their education has had an effect on all this very early academic learning? 

Really depends on the kid.  Don't push it if they aren't interested.  Go for it if they are.  I had one kid who was a super early reader (fluent by 3 1/2, like reading full sentences off of cereal boxes and mouthwash labels by then), one who was kind of early (fluent by kindergarten), and my last one I also thought was going to be early but ended up being just a little ahead after all.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, medimus said:

The duggars never usually make me feel like a bad parent, but I have to admit watching Jessa and Henry do the sight words, I was a little bit peeved that my three year old can't do that. The thought runs through my head that maybe I am parenting wrong and maybe i should be doing more teaching..... To my shame I  did have a squizz with my daughter at the youtube channel she recomenned....

I got over it all pretty quick. It did cross my mind about the power of social media and mummy shaming 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

In Finland kids don't start school until 7, and they have one of the best educational systems in the world. 

In Denmark, kids don't start school until 6, the teachers in the pre-school are not called teachers, they are called pedagogues, the pre-schools are play-emphasized, and the kids spend their days outside climbing in trees, certainly not learning sight words. 

Unless you have some unusually academic two year old, don't teach your two year old sight words. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 8

21 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

In Finland kids don't start school until 7, and they have one of the best educational systems in the world. 

In Denmark, kids don't start school until 6, the teachers in the pre-school are not called teachers, they are called pedagogues, the pre-schools are play-emphasized, and the kids spend their days outside climbing in trees, certainly not learning sight words. 

Unless you have some unusually academic two year old, don't teach your two year old sight words. 

Exactly, it really isn't developmentally appropriate practice.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

While I agree on the whole, I don't blame Jessa for teaching letters if her kids like it and it's not forced. She 24 hours at day mothering them, and sure they play a lot outside (not that Jessa is worried about dirty games). So maybe teaching letters is kind of quality time for them. 

• Upvote 21

I also want to add that kids are very clever at picking up subtle clues. A lot of kids can memorise stories and 'read' to themselves by recognizing the page displayed.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

This is sort of what I had in the back of my mind. In Belgium 'school' starts at 2.5, but nobody is taught to read (or letters or sounds etc) until 6. Those 3-4 years in the 'infant school' section are really important. They have just as much of a curriculum as older classes have, but it includes things like learning how to do things for yourself, social rules of school and basic facts/skills. I can always tell a two or three year old who has started school from one who hasn't by how they put their coat on. They teach them in a way that means they need no help at all, except maybe with the zip.

I find the area of early education really interesting, as it differs so much between countries (I have lived in quite a few). 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

I also want to add that kids are very clever at picking up subtle clues. A lot of kids can memorise stories and 'read' to themselves by recognizing the page displayed.

Absolutely! My almost 2.5 year old kind of does this with books we read to her a lot. It’s pretty adorable, not gonna lie. 

8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

The duggars never usually make me feel like a bad parent, but I have to admit watching Jessa and Henry do the sight words, I was a little bit peeved that my three year old can't do that. The thought runs through my head that maybe I am parenting wrong and maybe i should be doing more teaching..... To my shame I  did have a squizz with my daughter at the youtube channel she recomenned....

I got over it all pretty quick. It did cross my mind about the power of social media and mummy shaming 

As I always say, if you feel badly about your parenting because of the Duggars or Bateses:

Remember that your kids are likely to have far more options growing up than the Fundie kids and grandkids. It’s also possible they won’t be as narrow minded in their beliefs and opinions as well. Those are both major parenting “wins” - in my opinion - that are far more important than what age your child learns to read at. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

And in the U.S., land of standardized testing, children as young as kindergarten age are now being given standardized tests...Fall Kindergarten Entrance Inventory...5 years old...someone is making money off of all these tests IMO.  They need to be playing and learning cooperation and so much more than testing.

So let your children play and be children whatever their age.

*off anti-testing, data collecting, scripted lessons soapbox*

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

My mom says I did this and she thought I had learned how to read. Except that one day I started "reading" the next page before she actually turned it. ? My older daughter also has several of her favorite books memorized and I've caught her "reading" to herself or her stuffed animals (she's almost 4). She has picked up certain words on her own. I think her first "sight word" was pizza. ?

• Upvote 9

Munchkin (who is not quite 2) can say what the object is if you point them out to her or in a book. She is a huge fan of Dr. Seuss (we read them pretty much every day) and she also loves books with animals. Strangely though she doesn't like books that make animal noises. Not sure why. If you ask her what does the cow say? She'll respond Moo. What does the duck say? quack quack. What does the puppy say? woof woof. What does the fox say? ;) Sorry all I had to throw that one in. Munchkin is also born into a family who loves to read so if we're all reading in the evening; she's either playing with her toys quietly and talking to herself and making herself laugh (totally my child lol), or she'll crawl into her chair with her books and "read" (before bed time). Mostly she's just looking at the pictures and colors.  If you point to a framed picture of family and friends; and point to people individually; she'll tell you who Poppy is (Grandpa), Gammy (Grandma), Ant (we're working on saying auntie), Dunk (we're working on saying uncle), and Mommy (myself) (Its usually Mommy Mommy, wook, wook at puppy.  (usually the neighbors huge loveable furbaby)  I did read out loud a lot to her during my pregnancy and of course after. Not sure if that has helped her?

I do have an odd question for all the parents out there. My daughter was born mid Summer, how does that play out school wise for her?

Edited by SassyPantswithASideofClass
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Munchkin (who is not quite 2) can say what the object is if you point them out to her or in a book. She is a huge fan of Dr. Seuss (we read them pretty much every day) and she also loves books with animals. Strangely though she doesn't like books that make animal noises. Not sure why. If you ask her what does the cow say? She'll respond Moo. What does the duck say? quack quack. What does the puppy say? woof woof. What does the fox say? ;) Sorry all I had to throw that one in. Munchkin is also born into a family who loves to read so if we're all reading in the evening; she's either playing with her toys quietly and talking to herself and making herself laugh (totally my child lol), or she'll crawl into her chair with her books and "read" (before bed time). Mostly she's just looking at the pictures and colors.  If you point to a framed picture of family and friends; and point to people individually; she'll tell you who Poppy is (Grandpa), Gammy (Grandma), Ant (we're working on saying auntie), Dunk (we're working on saying uncle), and Mommy (myself) (Its usually Mommy Mommy, wook, wook at puppy.  (usually the neighbors huge loveable furbaby)  I did read out loud a lot to her during my pregnancy and of course after. Not sure if that has helped her?

I do have an odd question for all the parents out there. My daughter was born mid Summer, how does that play out school wise for her?

Your daughter sounds like a pretty normal kid. My daughter (almost 2.5) and older nephew (3) both do that stuff as well and have for a while. It was fun to quiz Velocitoddler on family member photos when was little.

As for school, it depends on where you live. I know in the US kids can start school at different times. My state has a January 1st start date, meaning any kid born before January 1 can enroll in Kindergarten that year. So, for example, if your child turns 5 on December 31, 2018 they could technically start school in the Fall of 2019, though they’d literally be the youngest in the class. Our daughter was born early December 2016, but wasn’t due until mid-January 2017. My husband and I are planning to hold off on starting her in kindergarten until Fall of 2022 because of that. We want to be sure she’s emotionally and developmentally ready for kindergarten first. If she’s too advanced for that then she can always skip ahead or something, but we’d rather give her that extra year just in case. Our second is due this November and we haven’t talked about whether we’ll do the same for them or not. It’ll depend on whether the pregnancy is successful (meaning, we have a live and healthy birth) and probably on whether the baby is born full term this time. 

• Upvote 8

I was born on the cut-off date for the school year, so I underwent special testing to determine when I should start school. (This was the late-1980s). They determined that because I was very small for my age and had trouble bouncing a ball, that they'd hold me back. Huge mistake on their part and I was miserably bored throughout my schooling and ended up graduating a year early. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

This is a dilemma that I'm facing. Both of my kids have birthdays the first week of September, and the school cut off date in our state is August 15. My daughter, who will be 3 in September, is very advanced in many ways. Her preschool moved her up a class last month and she is thriving, especially socially. I actually like the idea of her not starting Kindergarten until she's just a couple of weeks away from turning 6, but my husband is adamant that we should have her evaluated so that she can start early right before she turns 5. I want her to have an extra year of being a little kid before grade school starts, but my husband (adorably) thinks that she is the greatest, smartest human to ever walk the face of the Earth and that we'd only cause her problems by holding her back. I also keep seeing studies about how people born in September do better in school because they're starting out older than their classmates. We have a couple more years before we have to make a decision, and a lot can change in that time, but it's still something I think about a lot. It's also something that I never would have expected to feel a kind of guilt about.....I'm thrilled that she excels but always feel kind of weirdly guilty about the fact that my kid being too advanced is the thing that I worry about.

We're also considering private school for her, but that worries me since I checked the vaccination percentage on some of the private schools around us....

It's still too early to tell with my son, who is only 8 months. He's huge for his age, but I'm a lot less concerned about him starting Kindergarten when he's almost 6 and being a head taller than his classmates than I am about keeping my daughter back and having her be bored with her classwork.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Munchkin (who is not quite 2) can say what the object is if you point them out to her or in a book. She is a huge fan of Dr. Seuss (we read them pretty much every day) and she also loves books with animals. Strangely though she doesn't like books that make animal noises. Not sure why. If you ask her what does the cow say? She'll respond Moo. What does the duck say? quack quack. What does the puppy say? woof woof. What does the fox say?

Ne ne ne ne nah ne ne 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

If it helps at all, please remember that 3.5 year Spurgeon was not potty trained (as of last month) and really did not appear to understand the process at all from what Jessa posted, so...it always seems to balance out. Personally, with a new baby due shortly, I’d have focused on getting the 3.5 YO out of diapers as opposed to teaching the 2 YO to memorize words. I guess money really isn’t an issue for these folks.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Where we live (Florida) the cut off is September first. My daughter's birthday is end of July. We have considered holding her back a year because in my experience, the older kids in the class do tend to have an advantage, not just academically but socially and emotionally. But on the flip side, my birthday is one day before the cut off. My parents enrolled me in school for the "proper" year and I did fine. So it's really case-by-case.

My daughter is turning 4 now and is registered for pre-kindergarten in the fall. We are going to see how she does in pre-k and hopefully that will help us make a decision as to whether or not to send her through to kindergarten "on time". If we feel she could use an extra year we will just have her repeat pre-k. To me, it's easier to hold them back when they're young and don't really know they're being held back. I would hate to push her through and then have to make her repeat a grade because she's struggling while all of the friends she has established over several years move on.

I will say- I have many mom friends. I have never met one that said they regretted waiting an extra year for kindergarten. But I know several moms who say they wish they hadn't started their child in school so early.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We want to be sure she’s emotionally and developmentally ready for kindergarten first. If she’s too advanced for that then she can always skip ahead or something, but we’d rather give her that extra year just in case. 

Love this! Don’t rush it if you feel she may not be ready! My boys have October and November birthdays, cut off in our area is Jan.1. I chose to hold them both back a year and do one extra year of preschool, because although they were both little smarty pants, neither one was socially or emotionally ready for school. I will never, ever regret that choice. They both excel at school, are in several advanced placement courses, and have a bunch of close friends. 

Only you know your child the best (general you!,). Go with your gut and do what you think is right for your child. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Here in California , the cutoff date was changed a couple of years ago (I think it was 2010). When my sister and I were starting school in the early 2000s, the date was December 2 I believe. We have September and October birthdays. With the new date of September 1, we would have been held back. My other sister and brother have February and July birthdays and started school after this change, so they weren't held back. (There was a long period of 10 years before my parents had more kids)

I think it's up to the parents to decide what to do.

• Upvote 5

Everyone is right about it being a case-by-case basis thing, but I'm remembering the main difference in early vs late birthdays when I was in school: who gets to be the driver for their group of friends and who gets driven around because their birthday is after the others?! We counted down the days until our oldest friend could get his license and we'd all be gloriously free to...I don't know, go shopping or get fast food? It seemed like the most important thing about having an early or late birthday at the time.

• Upvote 6

• Georgiana locked this topic