IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

Regarding when to start school:

I spent 27 years teaching in a large-inner city school district.  I spent 18 years in kgn, 2.5 years in1st grade, 1 year in preK, and 6 years in small group reading intervention.

With the increased emphasis on academics, especially in kgn, I saw many children who were srtuggling to adapt.  Many of them were younger--my district has a cutoff of Dec. 31.  Some of them had social-emotional issues, others had physical problems in holding a pencil and cutting.

Having quality preschool programs and a start date earlier in the year, could really help.  Or maybe we should delay some of the hard-core academics and focus on working and playing well with others, exploring through the senses, having more physical activity.  When I was in kgn (back when there were only 48 states, only black and white tv), we played games, had fun with art, planted flowers, sang songs, had playground time and listened to stories.  In the spring time, we had a reading readiness workbook that helped us learn to follow from left to right, find differences between pictures, etc..  

I empathize with all of the parents who are making the difficult decision about your child's school start.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

45 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

I spent 27 years teaching in a large-inner city school district.  I spent 18 years in kgn, 2.5 years in1st grade, 1 year in preK, and 6 years in small group reading intervention.

With the increased emphasis on academics, especially in kgn, I saw many children who were srtuggling to adapt.  Many of them were younger--my district has a cutoff of Dec. 31.  Some of them had social-emotional issues, others had physical problems in holding a pencil and cutting.

Having quality preschool programs and a start date earlier in the year, could really help.  Or maybe we should delay some of the hard-core academics and focus on working and playing well with others, exploring through the senses, having more physical activity.  When I was in kgn (back when there were only 48 states, only black and white tv), we played games, had fun with art, planted flowers, sang songs, had playground time and listened to stories.  In the spring time, we had a reading readiness workbook that helped us learn to follow from left to right, find differences between pictures, etc..  

I empathize with all of the parents who are making the difficult decision about your child's school start.

Thank you (bolding mine.) Until this moment I had completely stayed out of this particular discussion drift because it is a trigger for me. There will always be exceptions: a normal 8-year-old who is not ready for our typical system of education and a normal 4-year-old who is... some of you reading this and some of your kids.

I saw it here, one time, don't know if it is true, that the Duggars wait until their kids are about age 10 to really begin reading. I wish I knew the reason. Is it so they can make sure the children are thoroughly beaten down and indoctrinated so they won't get curious and read something **forbidden** and ask questions? Or is it because they have read studies that show a human's full visual system, needed for extended close-up work, is not fully developed until around age 9? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I find the feet washing highly disturbing. Is it about submission? Very unhealthy specially in a wedding. What kind of bride is ok with that? It sounds very Pearl.

Is she the policewoman? I find frightening that people like her have jobs where they can easily abuse others. I'm not saying she does!!! But if someone holds strange beliefs about power and inequality, their place should NOT be in a police station.

I think you’re overthinking. It’s becoming common at many regular Christian weddings as a Christlike action as Jesus washed the feet of the apostles. The man does it and the woman does it as well. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I find the feet washing highly disturbing. Is it about submission? Very unhealthy specially in a wedding. What kind of bride is ok with that? It sounds very Pearl.

Jesus washed his disciples’ feet, right before he was arrested. It’s not solely about submission in the sense that it’s not like bowing to someone - at the time, they wore sandals and the roads were dusty, so feet needed to be washed frequently. But at that time, it would ordinarily be a servant washing his master’s feet, not the other way around. Jesus washed the feet of all the disciples and then said “if I, your lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash each other’s feet”. 

Not about submission, or at least not patriarchal submission - Jessica’s husband washed her feet too. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I have had this odd feeling that maybe SeeWee3 has already been born. Henry watering Jana’s garden, SES hanging out with the auntie, no mention of congrats to Carlin and Evan...

or she is labouring...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Threewald will soon be here! Where has the time gone? 

Ick! Foot washing. Jessica has always been smug. I find it very gross, but it's not about me. I've never seen feet washing at a wedding, not sure how it would go over! But to each their own, I guess. 

i bet she wanted to be different. No lighting a candle for two or pouring sand in a jar. 

She wanted to be different. 

Why not ride on a horse to the wedding and bring the horse inside. 

my preference get married in a snowstorm in November 

• Haha 8

12 minutes ago, nst said:

my preference get married in a snowstorm in November 

I look forward to it. Make sure to have that strawberry syrup sundae topping, that's my absolute fave. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Haha 14

THe 'when to start kid in school' discussion is also one that comes with a lot of privilege; huge swaths of the population don't get to have the discussion because an extra year of childcare is untenable (it wasn't the deciding factor in the choice [good or bad is still up in the air] in insisting on sending the kiddo, with the 9/2 birthday in a state with a firm 9/1 cutoff. But it was a factor).

In a world where the annual cost of childcare (not 'top of the line 1on1 ratios' crazyness...just...adequate care/preschool) for 1 kid can be well more than than the average parent makes in a year, it kinda sucks to describe this as a 'choice' as much as a 'necessity'.

(According to the stats, band large, the studies do show that in communities where the dropout rate is highest, it's best not to redshirt--because the legal age to drop out is 16, and if you're a year away at 16, you're much more likely to suck it up and stick it out to finish than you are if you have 2 more years at 16)

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I look forward to it. Make sure to have that strawberry syrup sundae topping, that's my absolute fave. 

I'm not actually getting married in November...but that is hypothesis

but yes - strawberry syrup sundaes in the parking lot with everyone throwing rose petals at us while it snows is the ultimate dream 

plus the doves flying our carriage away 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, marypat57 said:

It was like that when I started school in 1970. We learned to follow directions in workbooks, but they were about matching shapes and sizes and story progression and so forth, which led nicely to both the math and reading workbooks in 1st grade, which I still remember; they must have been pretty good to stand out so vividly in my mind. You can still find workbooks like that but they want you to use them for kids a year or two younger, which would be okay as supplement to the day instead of the main focus. Learning becomes inorganic when physical exploration is limited on behalf of paperwork, and it leads to imbalance. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

It was like that when I started school in 1970. We learned to follow directions in workbooks, but they were about matching shapes and sizes and story progression and so forth, which led nicely to both the math and reading workbooks in 1st grade, which I still remember; they must have been pretty good to stand out so vividly in my mind. You can still find workbooks like that but they want you to use them for kids a year or two younger, which would be okay as supplement to the day instead of the main focus. Learning becomes inorganic when physical exploration is limited on behalf of paperwork, and it leads to imbalance. 

Aside from which kids learn better by playing and music.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Whatthefundie said:

Ivy Jane Seewald, born May 26th! 7lbs 14ounces 

What a shockingly nice name. 

Also link: https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/jessa-duggar-gives-birth-to-baby-no-3-with-husband-ben-seewald/

Edited by TuringMachine
added link
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

I really like Ivy Jane, she is little at 7 pounds and 14 ounces and measuring 20.5 inches long. I don't remember how long was Spurge and Harry? I think she is the smallest baby so far? 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 8

Wow she's tiny compared to her brothers. Can't snark on the name either. Nice job, Seewalds. Now just break free of the cult and give your cute kids the healthy upbringing they deserve! You can do it!!

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 4

I wonder what ‘Christian Hero’ she’s named after? 

It is a cute name.

• Upvote 8

Ivy Jane is a lovely name, way better than I expected (dreaded) from those two. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Lovely name for their little girl. I wonder does it fit in with their name theme used so far, or will that only be used for the boys. I had a feeling over the weekend that there would be announcement coming soon.

• Upvote 6

Baby picture under the spoiler.

Spoiler

Ben-Jessa-Duggar-Baby-Ivy.thumb.jpg.38d1ecb5212fd381d156ec5ad0a5f0da.jpg

Do we know if they found out the sex early but kept it a secret again?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 3

Just now, VineHeart137 said:

Baby picture under the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Ben-Jessa-Duggar-Baby-Ivy.thumb.jpg.38d1ecb5212fd381d156ec5ad0a5f0da.jpg

Do we know if they found out the sex early but kept it a secret again?

Yep. Jessa mentioned that in one of the comments in her ig.

im glad they didn’t wait a billion years to announce the name like with the other two

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 1

Very happy about the name! I wonder if they had time to take the picture of the five pregnant Duggar girls? I can't read the article, but IIRC Jessa was due early June, so little Ivy must have arrived a bit earlier than planned.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

im glad they didn’t wait a billion years to announce the name like with the other two

They may have had the girl's name picked out for the other two as well, they were just waiting to use it. 

• Upvote 11

Cute baby and cute name and sounds like an easy delivery. Ivy can wear Felicity’s hand me downs since they are starting fresh, now to see if she has the patent curls like her brothers. 

• Upvote 19

• Georgiana locked this topic